Reviews of Chemical Bonding by Ineke

Find out more about Chemical Bonding by Ineke in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

gimmegreen's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Eminently forgettable citrus followed by thrift shop tea combo – the tea note is so insistently artificial that it bleaches the citrus notes of all vitality and one is left with the odour of some strong cleaning agent on one’s skin. This embarrassment barely deserves to be called a perfume, yet there are plenty more of its ilk around, which makes me wonder why perfumers bother turning out yet more.

21st February, 2014

sherapop's avatar

Note to perfumers: please do not name your creations in ways that immediately evoke visions of an organic chemistry laboratory! Ineke CHEMICAL BONDING would be an example to avoid. In fact, the composition is much better than the name would seem to suggest to those of us who have tested way too many of the sickeningly synthetic fragrances on the market today. To be perfectly frank (quoi d'autre?), I actually do not understand and am indeed mystified by the weird “molecule” trend in avant-garde perfumery, with single synthetic notes being poured into bottles and sold as perfume at niche prices. Hello? Does this make any sense whatsoever? Why not just go to a chemical supply shop and buy yourself a bottle of the “special molecule” for a tiny fraction of the cost? But I digress...

CHEMICAL BONDING is another masculine-leaning composition by this house—along the lines of FIELD NOTES FROM PARIS, and I find it about as appealing. I wouldn't mind smelling it on someone else, but it's not something that I would go out of my way to acquire. Nor is it something that I'd go out of my way to wear, if I happened to have a bottle. To me, CHEMICAL BONDING seems like a generic men's citrus cologne which falls just this side of the natural/synthetic divide. Vetiver, citrus, light florality...you know the drill.

30th July, 2011

robyogi's avatar

This one is a little deceptive at first. The initial notes present an incredible citrus melange: at times, I smell orange; at times, lemon; at times, grapefruit. This is quickly joined by a tea note. But then, just as you think you've got another typical modern citrus fragrance on your hands (or arms, or torso) it's like Ineke said "let there be peony." And there was. And it was good. If you like peony, you'll love this stage. As the scent wears on, the musky, powdery, clean base shows up and merges with the peony for a while until the peony runs its course and you're left with the powdery, clean, musk and woods. It's very nice, it's clean and fresh in a non-generic way, and it's unisex, but probably on the feminine end of the unisex spectrum. Lasting power is very good on me, as with all Inekes I've tried.

04th May, 2011

Grottola's avatar

Chemical Bonding is a very nice tart citrus/tea scent that I find to be completely unisex. The citrus notes last and last, and the tea/peony notes compliment the citrus very well. Good stuff.

08th March, 2011

Warum's avatar

Wow, what a lemon! Is it just a burst of lemon with leaves, tree and bark? Is it just about to melt into a lemon meringue? Is it -- God forbid! -- just a lemon scented dish soap??

Just when I thought that lemon will overpower my senses, the lovely note of peony rose up. Stayed like that for about three hours and went into a very mild drydown.

This one is nice... but... it makes me think about L'Eclat d'Arpege by Lanvin and the comparison is definitely favors this old favorite of mine. It has the beginning of Sicilian lemon leaves, a lemony beginning, too, but a far more interesting one. A peony note it delivers is sweeter, and the lasting power is definitely 8 hours+ rather than about 5-6. I guess it's just me -- now I know what it feels like to find a Holy Grail since I'm turning down two new peony fragrances (this one and Paeonia by L'Occitane) with the same phrase: there's nothing this fragrance does that L'Eclat d'Arpege doesn't do for me.

17th April, 2010

TaoLady's avatar

Ah! Body chemistry!!

A few caveats: 1)I AM a peony lover/ searcher and 2) what I write here is what happens in my nose to this frag on my bod - I don't pretend to be objective.

On me Chemical Bonding opens sweetly citrusy with a sort of bergamot peony already peeking through. When the peony becomes full blown she's soft and round and super creamy. She shines this way for HOURS growing softer and creamier as she goes.

TOTALLY one of my fave peonies...many thanks to the BNer who pointed me to Chemical Bonding!

23rd March, 2010

's avatar

Smells like your favourite washing-up liquid. Nothing I'd want to smell of.
    Found it rather nasty.

11th March, 2010

ubuandibeme's avatar

Effervescent citrus opens this extroverted frag from Ineke, and it is vibrant and lemony. An immediate reference combination of Keiko Mecheri's Sanguine and Damask Rose come to mind. However, this Chemical Bonding is all about the peony. Like foetidus says - larger than life! I have a so-so feeling about peony in my perfume, and although this one is very good, it isn't something that connects my nose to my heart. This peonys' most likeable quality is its' lightness. Sometimes highly fragrant florals like peony or rose can 'lay heavily', but not this one! A tea like character wafts in and out on occassion. Blackberry is a difficult note for my nose to detect, and I don't smell it in this compostion. The musk is subtle, and appropriately present, very polite. I don't 'get' the name though...possibly a self-indulgence by the creator?! Nonetheless, a uniquely creative springtime scent.

08th March, 2009

Perfume_Addict's avatar

I was strongly reminded of Clinique Happy by Chemical Bonding. I don't care for Happy due to the pronounced (to me) chemical notes, but I will guess that if you like Happy you will like Chemical Bonding.

18th November, 2008

bbBD's avatar

Foetidus' review is really all you need to know about this fragrance's smell.

I will add that I sampled at a store that did not indicate the gender of Chemical Bonding.... I assumed it was unisex, and even though it is classified otherwise I look forward to buying my own someday soon.

22nd July, 2008

lizzie_j's avatar

I would not have known that this scent was marketed as a Woman's fragrance if it weren't for Basenotes! The opening is a nuclear cloud of isopropyl alcohol (IPA), which is forgivable, since this is not an oil based perfume, and the IPA-medicinal mushroom cloud disperses quickly enough. What comes next, (or even simultaneously but I don't notice because I'm distracted by the IPA), is a sharp, slightly bitter, green accord that is not unpleasant, but not the tea and citrus I expected. I thought Chemical Bonding, by it's name, would be some type of phermone and musk laden uber-sensual fragrance that focused on "organic" chemicals, attraction between people, etc... Instead it's more synthetic and "inorganic." Interesting and creative, so points for that, but not something I'd reach for very often. Gets a full blown "meh."!!

01st July, 2008 (Last Edited: 02nd July, 2008)

At first there is a very serious chemical note that is somewhat bitter: I get the bitterness in the opening rather than the drydown. I find the "chemical" accords of Chemical Bonding definitely attractive: It quickly becomes a neutral texture that has elements of citrus and tea and metal. I like it very much except that it lasts only about five or six minutes. Then a strong peony note enters in – a very good peony note, actually: a peony note almost larger than life, just like the peony flower itself. When the peony note recedes, we are back to a chemical note again. This time the notes in the accord are less synthetic and more standard – there are a recognizable vetiver and amber, and the accord is very enjoyable in a subtle sort of way. It is smooth and light and a bit powdery. Chemical Bonding is quite an enjoyable fragrance.

02nd May, 2008

hallospacegirl's avatar

Hrm... I'm not too wild about this one. It smells bright and fresh, but it also smells like citrus-scented cleaning solution. The drydown leaves me with a slightly bitter scent -- perhaps the peony?

I feel like Ineke always straddles the fine line between really amazing fresh and sparkling scents, and scents that remind me of cleaning solution. After My Own Heart comes out gloriously, but Chemical Bonding unfortunately falls to the other side.

Aside from that, this scent is not particularly offensive, and does have good lasting power, along with all her other perfumes. I'm giving it a thumbs neutral for the fact that it strays much too close to the scent of Windex for my comfort.

24th March, 2007