Neutral Reviews of Chemical Bonding by Ineke

Find out more about Chemical Bonding by Ineke in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

sherapop's avatar

Note to perfumers: please do not name your creations in ways that immediately evoke visions of an organic chemistry laboratory! Ineke CHEMICAL BONDING would be an example to avoid. In fact, the composition is much better than the name would seem to suggest to those of us who have tested way too many of the sickeningly synthetic fragrances on the market today. To be perfectly frank (quoi d'autre?), I actually do not understand and am indeed mystified by the weird “molecule” trend in avant-garde perfumery, with single synthetic notes being poured into bottles and sold as perfume at niche prices. Hello? Does this make any sense whatsoever? Why not just go to a chemical supply shop and buy yourself a bottle of the “special molecule” for a tiny fraction of the cost? But I digress...

CHEMICAL BONDING is another masculine-leaning composition by this house—along the lines of FIELD NOTES FROM PARIS, and I find it about as appealing. I wouldn't mind smelling it on someone else, but it's not something that I would go out of my way to acquire. Nor is it something that I'd go out of my way to wear, if I happened to have a bottle. To me, CHEMICAL BONDING seems like a generic men's citrus cologne which falls just this side of the natural/synthetic divide. Vetiver, citrus, light florality...you know the drill.

30th July, 2011

Warum's avatar

Wow, what a lemon! Is it just a burst of lemon with leaves, tree and bark? Is it just about to melt into a lemon meringue? Is it -- God forbid! -- just a lemon scented dish soap??

Just when I thought that lemon will overpower my senses, the lovely note of peony rose up. Stayed like that for about three hours and went into a very mild drydown.

This one is nice... but... it makes me think about L'Eclat d'Arpege by Lanvin and the comparison is definitely favors this old favorite of mine. It has the beginning of Sicilian lemon leaves, a lemony beginning, too, but a far more interesting one. A peony note it delivers is sweeter, and the lasting power is definitely 8 hours+ rather than about 5-6. I guess it's just me -- now I know what it feels like to find a Holy Grail since I'm turning down two new peony fragrances (this one and Paeonia by L'Occitane) with the same phrase: there's nothing this fragrance does that L'Eclat d'Arpege doesn't do for me.

17 April, 2010

lizzie_j's avatar

I would not have known that this scent was marketed as a Woman's fragrance if it weren't for Basenotes! The opening is a nuclear cloud of isopropyl alcohol (IPA), which is forgivable, since this is not an oil based perfume, and the IPA-medicinal mushroom cloud disperses quickly enough. What comes next, (or even simultaneously but I don't notice because I'm distracted by the IPA), is a sharp, slightly bitter, green accord that is not unpleasant, but not the tea and citrus I expected. I thought Chemical Bonding, by it's name, would be some type of phermone and musk laden uber-sensual fragrance that focused on "organic" chemicals, attraction between people, etc... Instead it's more synthetic and "inorganic." Interesting and creative, so points for that, but not something I'd reach for very often. Gets a full blown "meh."!!

01st July, 2008 (Last Edited: 02 July, 2008)

hallospacegirl's avatar

Hrm... I'm not too wild about this one. It smells bright and fresh, but it also smells like citrus-scented cleaning solution. The drydown leaves me with a slightly bitter scent -- perhaps the peony?

I feel like Ineke always straddles the fine line between really amazing fresh and sparkling scents, and scents that remind me of cleaning solution. After My Own Heart comes out gloriously, but Chemical Bonding unfortunately falls to the other side.

Aside from that, this scent is not particularly offensive, and does have good lasting power, along with all her other perfumes. I'm giving it a thumbs neutral for the fact that it strays much too close to the scent of Windex for my comfort.

24 March, 2007