Negative Reviews of Sienne L'Hiver by Eau d'Italie

Find out more about Sienne L'Hiver by Eau d'Italie in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Chypre

Reading its description, I held high hopes for Sienne d'Hiver. Smoke, liquor, leather - what's there not to like? The opening fed my optimism, since the smoke and leather were right up front, along with some mysterious green notes.

Then, about a half an hour into the development, I started catching a conspicuous sour note that I couldn't quite place. What could it be? I went back for a look at the note pyramid, and there it was: olives! Green olives, with pimientos in them. The effect was sharp and jarring, and soon began to remind me of Tabasco sauce - the way it smells when you stick your nose right up to the bottle. As for the truffle, if it's in there it gets steamrollered by the green olive/Tabasco accord. Too bad, because black truffle, used correctly, would be one heck of a fragrance note!

Sienne d'Hiver left me baffled and disappointed. I see no reflection of the beautiful old Tuscan city in this brew.

03 July, 2014

Sly2scents's avatar

Really wasn't my cup of tea that geranium leaf violet petals, and fern comes off as smelling like poison ivey.

04 June, 2014

alfarom's avatar

I'm very disappointed with Sienne L'hiver as it seemed to be Duchafour's masterpiece (as he said in an interview) I was expecting a lot. I love Bertand D and I have no other words than disappointment to desribe this scent. I live in tuscany, where i was born, and I can say there's absolutely nothing in this scent that reminds me of the place I live...sorry!

05 March, 2011 (Last Edited: 04 April, 2011)

RaymondNYC's avatar

I really wanted to like this but just couldn't get past the sour green olive note.

07 January, 2011

!___!'s avatar

Every time I wear it I get into depression.
    I have it for two years and I hardly wear it 5 times.
    Smells like white dead-nettle.

28 July, 2010

Bigsly's avatar

The olive type note overwhelmed everything else and I had to scrub this one off. I could sense some other notes trying to struggle out, but it never happened. I can't imagine why this was created this way, unless they didn't test on all skin types. In any case, this is obviously a sample first fragrance. I can't speak to longevity or sillage because I had to get it off quickly, within the hour.

06 October, 2009

SirSlarty's avatar

Dry, earthy booze. Way to hot in the spice department and smells like a Greek bazaar. I get a lot, and I mean a lot of the lovie scent from this. Olives and liquor. That's not something I enjoy smelling or wearing.

05 October, 2009

macho_matt's avatar

I'm reminded of my earthen walled basement on really muggy summer nights. A unique smell and one I'm sort of fond of but I do not enjoy smelling like this all day. Silage on this one is chill, non-aggressive, which is great because I can't image announcing to every passer-by that I smell like damp earth, stone, olives, pepper and celery. I may try wearing this again but it'll be a while... VERY glad I tried a small sample, I should have ordered one even smaller! I'll never use 5 ml of this stuff.

28 March, 2009