Reviews of Woody Sandalwood by Body Shop

Find out more about Woody Sandalwood by Body Shop in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

olenska's avatar

I bought a bottle of this twenty-odd years ago and eked it out to the last drop. I have no idea if it was authentic -- many perfumers now use synthetics owing to the decimation of Indian sandalwood through overharvesting -- but whether nature or man made it, I remember it as very, very good. When I last visited a Body Shop location, I gave their tester a try for old times' sake. The new Woody Sandalwood now lacks all of the dusky mystery of its predecessor. In fact, it smells like flat, warm root beer in a can-- and I'm bitterly disappointed.

30th January, 2010

mysolegia's avatar

Portugal Portugal

This smells very spicy and the wood scent is too fake. However, blending it with a straight up floral makes it more mellow.

24 January, 2010

Sugandaraja's avatar

Doesn't smell like sandalwood. Smells spicy and ambery, like a bland Youth Dew knock-off. Not at all offensive but totally unremarkable.

13 May, 2009

Louslice's avatar

A warm, soft, slightly sweet woody scent that lasts and lasts. The small bottle is good for traveling. Informal, familiar and friendly. Good for men or women.

21st November, 2007

lion_dancer's avatar

I find the scent of Sandalwood to be very healing. That being said, when I am having "one of those days", I will add this to whatever fragrance I choose to wear that day. It works best with the oriental-vanilla's in my collection, actually makes a common scent into something fantastic.

by its self, I am Switzerland on this... Small bottle, cute, application a pain once its half full.

03 November, 2007

purplebird7's avatar

I have a hard time finding a good sandalwood fragrance. Sandalwood is in danger of being overharvested, so most fragrances by that name contain only a hint of this rare ingredient, which is then shored up by supporting notes. Some would call this adulteration, but it is necessary--or the real thing would cost a fortune. If the sandalwood actually smells strong and diffusive, it is most likely a chemical substitute. My favorites so far are Etro Sandalo, for a straightforward santal, myrrh, amber fragrance; Lorenzo Villoresi for a complicated, herbal, woody, rose, vetiver composition; and the streamlined Tam Dao aroma of cut lumber and rosewood. Also enjoyable are Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Santal Noble for the syrupy amber and santal combo; and (for educational purposes of how unadorned sandal wood should smell) Madini's simple, smoky Santal Blanc.
    On a paper strip, TBS Woody Sandalwood is too spicy, dominated by clove and cinnamon. I rejected it outright but decided to put some on my arm for good measure. After I took a shower, it was infinitely more acceptable--even beautiful--when the hot water washed off the spices and brought out the warm wood. I bought a bottle but ultimately ended up disappointed with the candy-like tones of the spice and the rather flat sandalwood. On one hand, I loved the woodiness; but on the other hand, I detected a hint of root-beer. I think that the woodiness I found so attractive was actually a sweetened patchouli note (which sometimes reminds me of sassafras.) It was the patchouli that won me over. This is a fine, inexpensive, easily available fragrance, but there are better sandalwoods to be found.

26 July, 2007