Neutral Reviews of Dunhill Pursuit by Dunhill

Find out more about Dunhill Pursuit by Dunhill in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Oviatt's avatar

An Italian friend of mine serves a great salad of sliced oranges drizzled in olive oil and ground black pepper. Pursuit reminds me of this--in a good way. Citrusy, peppery and slightly vegetal. That said, I like it without loving it and it certainly does not live up to the great Dunhill's of the past--1934's for men, Edition, Blend 30, etc. It does have a slightly synthetic smell to it with a clean, spicy barbershop vibe to it. Good but not great--which does not stop me from wearing it occasionally. Nice bottle, keeping with Dunhill's recent look and the heaviest silver cap around.

03 May, 2012

bFlay's avatar

Very artificial and chemical smelling. Reminds me of the deodorizer used in funeral homes! Initial application brings a flurry of vaguely spicy, flowery notes that are synthetic. Dries down quickly to a woodsy, sweet base. Within 2 or 3 hours, neither I or anyone around could detect it at all.

31st October, 2011

The_Cologneist's avatar

Revising my previous review.

I was able to buy a bottle of Pursuit at a very reasonable price, about 10 bucks for a 1.6 oz, so I figured, might as well take another stab at it, since a sample costs around 3 or 4.

All in all, it's not a horrible fragrance, but it's probably one my least worn in my collection and one of my lower ranked ones. I see some complain about projection on this one, but I am glad it doesn't project because it may offend people. Pursuit is a very spicy scent, and not your typical spices. I get a very very strong presence of caraway, although it's not listed in the notes. From the opening, it starts out with a nice citrus blend, the yuzu is noticeable, it's a little on the cheap smelling side, but what do you expect. Wait about 20 minutes, and you're well into the heart notes. This is where caraway shines for me, along with cardamom, pink pepper, all on top of a cinnamon background. Can we say spicy? It doesn't smell as cheap in the middle notes. I do pick up all of the base notes here, notably the cedarwood. But yes, projection is very very weak at this point, which is very disappointing, because at this juncture, it actually smells quite nice.

Pursuit sort of goes backwards for me. A boring synthetic/cheap smelling opening, into a nice base. Usually, it's the top notes I dig the most, while most base notes are redundant and boring. The best part of Pursuit is probably the bottle. It fits well into the Dunhill design, with its sleek profile. The typical Dunhill cap with a horizontal line going through it, only this one has an engraved orange compass in the middle of the cap.

I'd say if you can find this one for the right price, and can wait around to the middle and base notes, you may find this fragrance enjoyable to some degree.

01st November, 2010 (Last Edited: 17 February, 2014)

glis's avatar

Austria Austria

If you want to smell soapy or like fresh laundry then this is for you. A completely unerotic and unexciting smell.

26 April, 2010

lespritz's avatar

It doesn't smell remotely soapy to me. I did buy it because I found it to be a good smell, and always usually having good luck with Dunhill Colognes(except Pure, which I bought blindly and regretted down the line), I bought it(2 yrs ago for only $17.77 at a Superstore), and baffled with that price, I had to do it. Needless to say, I flew through the bottle because it had piss-poor longevity. Had they made the smell cling they'd have had a winner for sure. Very unique and classy smell, thus the neutral rating.

26 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 08 May, 2013)

zztopp's avatar

Top notes:
    Yuzu, Bergamot, Mandarin
    Heart notes:
    Ambrette seed, Cinnamon,Cardamom, Spike Lavender, Shinus Molle
    Base notes:
    Sandalwood, White Cedarwood, Vanilla,Vetiver, Patchouli

From the promo material: Inspired by Africa, Pursuit by Dunhill has been created for ‘a man who thirsts for new experience and the thrill of the unknown’.

Ironic really, because Pursuit is anything but a new experience. It may qualify as a "thrill of the unknown" for those new to the world of fragrances, but for anyone with even a modicum of perfume experience Pursuit will smell like olfactory fatigue. The top notes are nice enough: tangy, juicy and bright, with the yuzu fruit providing a sharp lemon-tangerine blast to the opening. From there Pursuit unravels like a by the numbers performance...a thin layer of a spicy lavender accord, and hey, watch out for the fancy sounding Shinus Molle note: its nothing but what we know as "pink peppercorn". Within a couple of hours, you will, **yawnnnn**, be greeted with a very standard woody ambery base with a sprinkling of vetiver. Smooth movement, yes; will it move you, no.

Its hard to get excited by this Pursuit of mediocrity..it gets the job done, but will fail to ignite any passion amongst perfume enthusiasts whatsoever. Make this the starting point, not the finale, of your pursuit of fragrance nirvana ..

Rating: 6.25/10.0

27 October, 2008

Shaheen's avatar

Opens up smelling exactly like all of the cookie-cutter spicy aftershaves that I have countered time and time again over the years. It smells good, but extremely familiar. Once it dries down (after about 30 minutes or so), it begins to take on more of a unique scent and becomes a little more spicy and woody, with hints of sweetness.

It smells good. But I can almost guarantee you have smelled it before (or some variation thereof).

If you're into spicy aftershave-esque fragrances, give this one a try.

24 August, 2008

Opens green and fruity, including pineapple. The accord gives the suggestion of the tropics, but doesn’t go all exotic on the skin. The mid notes get nicely spicy. The fragrance dries down to a very subtle wood and amber that has almost no presence at all. The accords in Pursuit are rather nice, but there is too strong a synthetic tang to them for me: It wouldn’t be a bad fragrance for someone that doesn’t mind the plastic background. Pursuit has about average longevity.

23 August, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

Sweet smoky vetiver and lemon. Very good. Nice spicy sandalwood, too. Con: doesn't last long.

09 July, 2008

paul's avatar

I'm struggling to say anything good, or bad about this. I just get peppery orange and am struggling to distinguish it from dunhill.
    Why keep releasing new, nondescript products when they already have the GREAT Dunhill for Men,and never promote it?
    Edition seems to sell well as does Desire.
    Please bring back Blend 30, produce a decent citrus for the Eau Sauvage generation and leave it at that.

18 February, 2007