Reviews of Yanky Clover by Richard Hudnut

Find out more about Yanky Clover by Richard Hudnut in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

paloma54's avatar

I first bought a bottle of this in a "vintage" store in Cleveland. The bottle and its box seemed brand new, and I don't believe anyone had opened it. I was enchanted by the fragrance wafting upward to greet my nose. The scent is a sweet floral with a slightly spicy edge. I'm sorry that it's hard for me to describe notes the way some members here can, but that's all I can come up with for a description. It's not an oriental or a chypre, of that much I'm fairly confident. It's definitely a much older perfume style, but pleasant, very nice indeed. I have also bought two other bottles, both were in great shape. One thing I would point out about Yanky Clover is that it is one of the most durable fragrances I have ever bought. It holds up remarkably well over time, so a bottle where you can see fresh-looking juice is definitely likely to still smell fresh.

It took quite a few years for me to find a bottle of Roger & Gallet's old fragrance Le Jade. Because of the hint of greenness, and green florals being my favorite type of fragrance, I had really obsessed over this purchase. When I got the bottle, I was rather disappointed to find it smelling like a cheaper, flatter version of Yanky Clover.

10th May, 2012