Positive Reviews of Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

Find out more about Eau des Baux by L'Occitane in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

sidewinder's avatar

Soft tobacco/vanilla dry down is exceptional. Layer with Aventus or Tobacco Vanille for a little depth and distinction. Compliment grabbing perfection at < $60. 4.5 out of 5

09 August, 2014

checkmate's avatar

First and foremost, of all the notes in perfume, I am most particular about my vanilla! For some reason, vanilla seems to be a note that is difficult to balance; either it is significantly overdone/unbalanced and the fragrance becomes incredibly cloying, or you wish that there was a bit more to round the fragrance out. With all of that said, we have Eau de Baux, and I feel that this one was done just right.

To be honest, I wasn't sold initially... It took a good 10-15 minutes for this fragrance to dry-down before I could really appreciate all that this scent had to offer. When I first tried this one, I had to walk around the mall, which is torture in itself because I hate malls :-), to get a feel for where this one was going. I knew that there was potentially a pot-of-gold at the end of this rainbow, because I'd read all of the glowing reviews here on BN. The question that then had to be answered was "I'm aware of the accounts and how it performs on others, but how will it perform on me?"

The initial blast was that of both pepper and incense and I honestly could detect no vanilla. After the 10-15 minutes that I'd alluded to, the vanilla began to surface and danced the waltz with both cypress and incense notes. Though the scent pyramid doesn't reflect this, I also sensed that there could be a dash of nutmeg and pipe tobacco as well which contributed to the rich, round, mature, nature of this fragrance.

In short, this fragrance picks-up where the newest formulation of Le Male left off. This fragrance is both incredibly well-balanced and distinguished and can easily be worn with a suit or with a nice Merino wool v-neck, a collared shirt and pair of jeans in the fall and/or winter. It is both warm as well as inviting and the vanilla is just sweet enough... It is borderline gourmand in nature, as the vanilla in this one isn't quite "edible" (a la Ted Lapidus Pour Lui) per se, but exudes a feeling comfort that well-crafted vanilla scents are intended to do... When worn, one will inevitably draw compliments from those who are within an arm's length for a good 6-8 hours.

I have found that this is no sillage monster, but it is more of an "aura" scent. Perhaps the finest example of an "aura scent" is vintage Azzaro PH... Though this scent is in no way related to the 80's fougere of yester-year, this scent fosters an enveloping feeling of ease, taste and groundedness that is unfortunately becoming harder to find in today's day and age of perfumery.

I give this scent a solid 8.5-9/10 and highly recommend sampling it-Cheers!

06 July, 2014 (Last Edited: 08 July, 2014)

Quartz's avatar

Very similar to TF Tobacco Vanille only not quite as strong. A nice soft fragrance that doesn't go overboard on the vanilla. Longevity is about 8-10 hours, projection seems minimal. This will substitute just fine for the overpriced Tom Ford offering.

26 February, 2014

rbaker's avatar

From the beginning a light-pepper-related incense note appears that is the backbone of this scent. Later nutty and cypress impressions are added, and in the drydown it adds some vanilla and takes on a delightful candlewax note that persists throughout. It is never really too sweet, well-blended, with good silage and projection, and a wonderful longevity of eleven hours on my skin. A great one for autumn! 4.5/5

05 December, 2013

krlamev's avatar

Unisex!

Wooah! Cypress, incense and vanilla! I love it!
    I admit I was very curious about it, read some reviews and well got the itchy-curiosity. I like the dry-down, as I always say, I am not an expert on perfumery, but with this perfume I can clearly identify those 3 notes and it's really amaizing! I would say it's green but misterious-dark at the same time.

I am a woman but I definitely will wear this! I just bought it!

Pros: Price, smell
    Cons:

22 October, 2013

lairdangus's avatar

Dry woods, tobacco, and a touch of incense

Finally got around to sampling this on a recent vacation. Wow--what a stunner. This is a perfectly natural, organic wood-tobacco-incense fragrance. I happened to sample on the same day as Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille, which retails for several times more than the L'Occitane.

I found Eau des Baux superior in every respect. It was subtle but powerful. The top notes of incense yield effortlessly to a mild pipe tobacco and wood accord. By comparison, the Tobacco Vanille was a screeching, acrid cigar.

Longevity was excellent (8-10 hours on my dry skin). Projection was moderate.

Highly recommended.

Pros: Vastly superior to Tobacco Vanille at a fraction of the price
    Cons:

20th October, 2013

tdwctdwc's avatar

Natural, dry and addictive

Organic, natural and dry. This is how i describe this addictive scent.
    From the airy red spices and cardamom, to the fresh cypress and smoky incense in the heart, until the very last drop of the natural vanilla drydown: Every single note is natural, balanced and "well behaved", unlike other similar scents on the market that play the slutty role all over the place with vanilla.
    Projection : moderate
    Longevity : 10+ hours
    Excellent scent, excellent house.

Pros: Fresh cypress gives this scent its "natural " appeal
    Cons:

16 August, 2013

ad_scott's avatar

Nice warm vanilla tobacco scent

Really nice tobacco vanilla scent, works well on me. Reminds me of fresh vanilla pipe tobacco packed in a leather pouch. A cheaper alternative to TF's Tobacco Vanille; Eau des Baux is supposed to be just as good and at a 1/3 of the price. One of the best fragrances I've ever owned.

Pros: Vanilla pipe tobacco, good longevity
    Cons:

05 August, 2013

Angel66's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

I love this, really Nice and warm.

11th May, 2013

drseid's avatar

Eau des Baux goes on with a spicy pink pepper and cardamom tandem before slowly transitioning to its early heart. After the spicy open the spice recedes but remains now in support, ceding ground to a somewhat woody coniferous cypress with hints of smooth incense peeping through. As the fragrance progresses in the heart the incense deepens and intensifies to take the fore, moderately sweetened by tonka bean from the base which gives the overall accord a relatively sweet pipe tobacco like vibe with the cypress and cardamom dirtying the overall accord somewhat. During the late dry-down the initial spice all but completely dissipates, leaving the tonka bean, incense and remaining supporting cypress to give a relatively sweet sendoff. Projection is good to very good and longevity is average at about 8 hours on skin.

Eau des Baux was quite a surprise when I finally got around to trying it. Tobacco is not listed in the notes and indeed it most likely contains none but it does have a very deep pipe tobacco vibe that permeates the heart of the fragrance and it smells incredible. The cypress utilized throughout the composition is key to making everything work, as it adds a woody slightly coniferous underlying facet that counters the sweetness of the tonka bean laden incense to balance the composition. Eau des Baux is frequently compared to Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford and I can definitely see why folks may make the comparison, but Eau des Baux is the more complete and interesting composition of the two that sells for a heck of a lot less money at its $52 a 100 ml bottle price tag. The bottom line is after sampling this one at my local mall, I left L'Occitane, got to my car and then turned around and bought a bottle as it completely impressed me (relatively low cost aside). Values like this 4 star out of 5 "excellent" rated fragrance are relatively scarce, so I recommend seeking Eau des Baux out for trial and possible purchase.

28 April, 2013

del's avatar

Eau des Baux is really nice -- woody, sweet yet masculine, with a touch of spices. I agree with others, EdB smells natural. The vanilla reminds me of a wafer, but the scent is controlled and is really pleasant -- I love smelling this fragrance with my eyes closed. It feels like a tickle to the nose.

The longevity and projection are both excellent. For the price, you really can't wrong with this wonderful fragrance.

12 April, 2013

Sticky Threads's avatar

Warm creamy vanilla throughout and a spicy tobacco on top. The comparisons to Tobacco Vanille are fair but this is less angular and more wearable under all circumstances. I get 8 hours from this and wear it often. One of the absolute best cheaper scents money can buy.

02 April, 2013

The_Cologneist's avatar

This is really good stuff. Starts off spicy with vanilla, finishes off creamy with vanilla and tonka. If ya don't like vanilla, don't even try this one. But if you're like me and you miss vanilla dominated fragrances and are sick of cheap tonka bean dominated ones, you will love this! Smells rich and natural. Tobacco Vanille meets Spicebomb, but outdoes them both. Projects nicely, lasts a good 8 hours minimum.

Not often do I buy back up bottles of fragrances, but with Eau Des Baux, I knew it would be a work horse in my collection, and that's what it is. Very very versatile, but more suitable for cooler days. A+!

01st January, 2013 (Last Edited: 15 January, 2013)

's avatar

Wonderful smell! That's a all-year-around for me. Sweet but not overpowering, very distinct and innovative. Actually that's one of the best releases in past few years. Smells like Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille, but not so sweet and honeyed. Also, it's 1/4 the price of Tom Ford. Absolutely worth it.

29 October, 2012

Marais's avatar

A semi-sweet tobacco-oriental, with a woody vanilla/amber base. Warm and inviting, it says 'come hither' and avoids turning nasty at close quarters. Longevity approximately 6 hours. Good value for the price.

24 March, 2012

surge's avatar

A 50$ version of Tobacco Vanille with less smoke and more fresh greenery.
    From that statement you would think this is a bad thing :P But it's not.
    This is a *great* fragrance. The projection \ logevity is less than what I'd prefer, but for $50 for a 3.7 oz bottle you seriously can NOT go wrong with this stuff.
    Give it a few tries if you don't like it at first -- I still don't enjoy the opening that much; the greenery is a bit strong, but it dies down and eventually you get to that sweet tobacco vanille like smell.

05 February, 2012

Oproust's avatar

Eau des Baux is a woody, incense, oriental fragrance that is sweet but not quite gourmand to my nose. Up front, it reminds me of a dark castle, abandoned but filled with the smell of 1,000 years; burnt candles, incense, dry wood, echoes of a forgotten mythology. Soon Eau des Baux takes an abrupt turn, becoming a sweet vanilla dream that has more in common with a spice shop than a castle. When we reach the base, the mythology is long gone, but the attractiveness of this fragrance isn't. If you enjoy sweet fragrances with a hint of mystery in the prelude, this one is worth a try. Very nice.

22 December, 2011

Gilgamesh2003's avatar

A very weak thumbs up on this one. The opening promises interesting things with a burst of bitter, woody spice. Then the fragrance settles into a blandly pleasant vanilla, where it remains for a few hours before slipping away without a trace. OK, not great.

17 December, 2011

Harvitz81's avatar

This one for me jumps right into a smoky woods fragrance laced with a little incense. The opening is great and persists for awhile until some amber and vanilla pop up in the base. Longevity and projection are great and I find this one enjoyable from top to bottom the whole way.

01st December, 2011

Swanky's avatar

Initially, I missed the boat on this one. It seemed at first to be a variant on the Le Male genre, but actually it is quite different, sharing only a sweet character. Where Le Male is dry and powdered, Eau des Baux is rich and warm.

Indeed, I find this to be a gourmand once the middle and drydown settle in. If you like Play Intense or Rochas Man, this is a well-done take on a similar style. I find it close also to Hypnôse Homme and La Nuit de L’Homme, opening as they do with woody notes. Cedar seems prominent with EdB, but in a more natural fashion than the others I've referenced. Eau des Baux has been called an amber, but to my nose it seems to be a straight-up vanilla fragrance upon drydown with the woody elements decidedly in the background.

I wish I lked this genre more because Eau des Baux is a very well-done rendition. I recommend it heartily to those who seek an affordable yet classy version of the gourmand ilk.

14 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 14 April, 2012)

wardamoose's avatar

A warm spicy, pipe-tobacco like scent. It is comforting. Bought it in Hawaii and tried to tie the memory of the trip to the scent. It worked perfectly. Every time I wear it, my wife and I feel like we're back on the North Shore of Oahu. Highly recommended for its inoffensive intensity. It could make a wolverine purr.

22 August, 2011

yoyo's avatar

Tried this one at local L'Occitane counter. All I can detect is vanilla and more vanilla. Where is the incense? If you like sweet scent then by all mean get this since the longevity is absolutely amazing. Even after 2 washes I could still smell the vanilla on my shirt...And projection is also monstrous.

UPDATE: I tried this again at another location and it's much less sweet than the first time. Very good incense/woody notes. Made the purchase right away since I was looking for an incense scent.

02 April, 2011 (Last Edited: 08 August, 2011)

TropiRock's avatar

Yet another nice fragrance from L'Occitane. Spicy, woody (but not as much as I would like), amber/vanilla base. I normally don't like sweet base notes, but I find it acceptable in Eau des Baux because the ride from top to bottom was so enjoyable. Longevity is unbelievable - all day and into the night. Good stuff at a good price.

01st April, 2011

Lakhesis's avatar

I'm with you, foetidus.
    Everything about the beginning is SO right for me: the warm, amber snuggle of it.
    But sadly, on me, it dries down to something almost sickly insecticidal, not at all where I thought it was going. I'm bummed about that, because this is one of the first ambers I've tried that wasn't too claustrophobic.

31st January, 2011

Grottola's avatar

Eau des Baux is a very attractive, comforting masculine fragrance. Warm spices, incense, and woods sweetened with vanilla evoke images of the Champs-Élysées in Autumn, or just a beautiful fall evening where the trees are a variety of colors and the streetlights are like stars. Almost like Diesel Zero Plus Masculine, but not as crude and done a lot better. Longevity is average, but sillage is great and Eau des Baux is a wonderful smell for the price.

01st January, 2011

Primrose's avatar

Although this says "pour hommes" on the bottle, L'Occitane's Eau des Baux is a wonderful unisex scent. It is a nice, blended spice and incense scent with a touch of vanilla, as other have noted. On me, it wears close to the skin and it is relatively long-lasting for an EDT. There is a nice selection of men's shaving items as well: shaving cream and after-shave balm.

All the talk about Knights Templar is strange, as many knights were secular knights; the Knights Templar were basically fighting monastic orders. The Knights Templar (and their rivals, the Knights Hospitaller) were monks, so I doubt if they wore any kind of scent as that would be a sign of vanity. (Many knights in the Holy Land, however, *did * take to toilette customs of the Middle East and may have worn scents...and many adopted the local clothing and foods...)

There is a touch of sweetness in Eau des Baux in the drydown that is pleasant with just a very light hint of spice. Pleasant and bottle-worthy and nicely priced.

09 February, 2010

berneo's avatar

Austria Austria

Like a warming coat or scarf worn in fall wandering through a forest with falling leaves it makes me feel protected. Its kind of dark and mysterious also beside the sweet warmth it radiates. I like the woody and incense notes.

26 November, 2009 (Last Edited: 29 March, 2010)

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

I can't agree more with the earlier reviewers; EAU DES BAUX does smell like a more expensive incense-inspired oriental. Even non-fans of frankincense might find it enjoyable. But while the amber vanilla drydown is pleasant enough it lacks a certain richness and comes across a little lightweight. Still, a full bottle worthy scent IMO.

31st October, 2009

TaoLady's avatar

Strong enough for a man - but I like it too! What a beauty! Green and incense-y with a heart of spicy fruits and vanilla. It all works on me...I love it. (And many thanks to Oviatt for the history lesson!)

29 July, 2009

SeaninDubh's avatar

A wonderfully spicy, sweet fragrance that smells natural. The sweet, and after a while almost synthetic vanilla on the drydown is not to my taste and it seems almost as thought the frankincense is wasted. But I'm a frankincense monster, so I'll give this one a thumbs up as I'm sure this one will please many people and it's quite a unique scent despite being reasonably simple.

28 March, 2009