Reviews

Reviews of Virgin Island Water by Creed

Most of the notes alleged in this fragrance are imaginary. It is almost entirely coconut. Citrus? Lime? Whatever. Coconut. 3 out of 5
12th May, 2015
Absolutely stunning. If it's summer, there's a good chance I'm wearing Virgin Island Water as it flawlessly encapsulates everything I look for in a summer fragrance. You can't go wrong with this one.
23rd April, 2015 (last edited: 27th April, 2015)
Virgin Island Water is one of my favorite Creed fragrances to wear for the spring and summer along with Green Irish Tweed and Millesime Imperial. If the weather is warm, there’s a good chance I’ll be throwing this on. Upon application I get notes of citrus, lime, and coconut. Together these notes create a crisp, fresh, and natural opening. Whenever I smell the opening, I think of Pina Colada drinks. Approaching the heart, floral notes of hibiscus, jasmine and ylang ylang combined with notes of musk, ginger, sugar, and rum make their way to the front. At this point the citrus and lime fade into the background while the coconut still remains predominately strong. The coconut note matched against the florals, musk, ginger, sugar, and rum notes create a slightly floralish/boozy/sweet composition that is well balanced. Towards the end the fragrance it dries down to a musky-sugary scent with hints of coconut. VIW is absolutely gorgeous scent from start to finish.

In terms of longevity and silage that will depend on the weather. Under warm weather conditions, I’ll get between 6-8 hours of longevity with moderate to above average silage for the first 4-6 hours before the scent stays closer to the skin. Under cooler conditions, I’ll get significantly less longevity anywhere between 3-5 hours with moderate silage for the first 2-3 hours before it becomes a skin scent. For better results, VIW should be worn during the warmer months of the year. In warm weather, VIW would be a great casual scent for many occasions such as a day at the beach or an outdoor activity during the day. I personally haven’t found that many individuals not liking this scent and most were rather pleased when smelling VIW. VIW isn’t too masculine or feminine therefore both men and women can easily wear it. Overall, VIW is one of a kind and one my favorites from the millesime line and Creed overall. Well done!
15th March, 2015
Lime. Coconut. That's it, nothing else. Lasts for hours and projects like a beast. Immune to nose blindness and it doesn't have a dry down....so you smell coconut and lime for hours and hours.

Nice, tropical and different....but its way too simple to be a classic.
03rd March, 2015
Crisp, juicy, delicious lime and a smooth, carefully calibrated rum comprise some of the most enjoyable top notes I've encountered in any fragrance. It's 15 minutes of perfection, the epitome of a tropical vacation by the beach, sipping a cocktail, and taking in the sun. As the lime recedes, and the rum settles down, a sweet coconut note becomes dominant. It's simple but again, an appealing, honest, and more or less flawless accord. Perhaps it's a little sweeter than a "realistic" coconut note, and more along the lines of coconut ice cream, but it's well done, and doesn't come across tacky or cheap in the least. If you want lime, rum, and coconut, this is where it ends. There's no need to look any further. Another excellent fragrance in that it executes exactly what it set out to do, I can find little fault with Virgin Island Water. The notes are fresh and vibrant, and the smell, though somewhat singular in purpose, is top notch. If the sound of this appeals to you at all, then definitely get your nose on it. Projection is just right (medium in this case) and longevity about 6 hours. Recommended as a blind buy.

Tommy Bahama's Set Sail St. Barts is often suggested as an alternative to Virgin Island Water. While I do like St. Barts, and recommend it as a bargain fragrance with a similar kind of summer vacation vibe, they really don't smell alike, and Virgin Island Water is better overall. In other words, they're not exactly substitutes for each other. However, someone who likes VIW, but doesn't want to spend the extra cash would do well with St. Barts. Just don't expect the same thing.
20th February, 2015
Virgin Island Water opens with a sort of citric-musky accord juxtaposed to creamy-gourmandish notes (ylang) with a tropical vibe (coconut), then sandalwood, ginger and a light floral breeze. Surely reminding of sea overall, but in a thicker, “watery-milky” way rather than predictably “calone-ozonic”. Surprisingly, it’s not bad at all: it is fresh in a rather round, rich and pleasant way, with a really peculiar and nice feel of silky, refreshing and realistic creaminess enhanced by a quite faithful and appealing fruity tropical vibe. A sort of zesty, invigorating “Tiki gourmand” mood, somehow making me think of a tropical ice cream. Still, sadly I also get a persistent and rather annoying astringent citric note which smells exactly like any mosquito repellent, as it happens in many cheap quality citrus scents. The evolution is close to nothing, meaning that as hours pass Virgin becomes just slightly drier and muskier, finally landing on a citric-musky drydown which features just less freshness and less creaminess than the initial stages. In my opinion, citrus-tropical scents are quite a tricky field: it must not be easy to make one that doesn’t end up in smelling either dull and generic or cheap. This quite nails it on the contrary, managing to be fairly distinctive in a way, and with a nice quality of notes, except that mosquito thing. It’s still basically an enhanced version of any sea-citrus-tropical fragrance, but still it’s better than most of them, at least for what I have tried. The “tropical” side especially is particularly nice. Not bad for being a Creed... but still, all considered, surreally overpriced.

6-6,5/10
20th February, 2015
For me, this is my all time favourite scent. One spray of this gorgeous fragrance, makes me feel like i have been transported to the Caribbean, for a day at the beach. Coconut, Lime, Rum, are all instantly recognisable. Its a slightly sweet smell, but not overly so. The scent lasts all day on my skin, which i see is a concern from various other reviewers. If i was rich enough, i would buy the shower gel of this too, and literally slap it on everyday! But i would be bankrupt quite fast! This scent really is worth every single penny. I think a woman could easily get away with wearing this too. Its just a beautiful smell.
31st December, 2014
I like the idea of lime , rum , coconut and the beach , behind this fragrance , but to me its a lil lime and rum at start and dominating coconut "Bounty" like fragrance due to dominating co co nut, its yummy , delicious and a very simple scent which I can wear once in a blue moon just for change of taste, otherwise it sometime strongly reminds me coconut oil.

I would recommend it to women rather, as imo it suits more to them.
13th July, 2014
Genre: Citrus

Nice, but…

Both my wife and I tried Virgin Island Water, and both came to the same conclusion: it’s very pretty, but it smells too much like suntan lotion to spend hundreds of dollars on. Coconut is the villain here. Well-integrated coconut can lend fragrances a certain creamy richness, as in Philosykos, Carnal Flower, or Dawn Spencer Hurwitz’s Bamboo. But when it’s prominent and isolated, as in Virgin Island Water, it quickly gets me thinking “Coppertone.” Maître Parfumeur et Gantier’s Bahiana is another tropical fruit blend that’s spiked with coconut, but I find its coconut in better balance, effectively blended with a rich base of gaiac and rosewood. If you’re looking for a tropical cocktail scent for the summer, I’d recommend Bahiana, Nicolaï’s Juste un Rêve, or even Fresh’s goofy Sugar Lychee over Virgin Island Water.

09th July, 2014
DMA Show all reviews
A Gorgous unisex fragrance which is definitey one of the best from the Creed house, if not the best imo.

I basically get a citrusy lime with hints of coconut. Its quite musky and combined with the rum it gives it some depth and a little warmth, preventing it from going into the childish tropical fruit punch territory. You can pick up on the sugar cane too theres some sweetness, but not sickly sweet.

What it lacks in versatility it makes for in just being... Well, a first class summer fragrance for me and even my mother too. :)

17th May, 2014
This is a summer delight I like to think of it as a vacation scent. That opening of coconut, bergamote, and musk really graces the skin. The longevity is lacking but the fragrance is none the less a summer favorite for myself.
10th May, 2014
wonderful lime opening and beautiful coconut drydown..5 hours duration..thought it was a flop but actually great!
01st April, 2014
This fragrance has been high on my test list for the hype it gets and for the generally positive reviews with performance issues being the main drawback.

First applied you get a huge blast of lime followed by coconut moments after. Very natural, and indeed a tropical bliss. One of the greatest openings I've experienced on a summery scent. Fresh, tropical, and beachy.

The opening is my favorite part, but for about the 20 minutes that it lasts the inevitable drydown follows..

The lime settles a bit, and you begin detecting the rum note infused with the coconut, and I'm guessing the sugar cane note follows. What I get here is a sweet & purply smell reminiscent of the beverage Pina Colada with a touch of lime. The fragrance stays this way all the way through.

Unfortunately I can't say I'm a very big fan of the drydown, but the top notes are what made me love the fragrance.

Performance:

Longevity is excellent. Definitely enough for me. Over 10+ hours.

Projection is again, excellent. I am indeed very lucky to be able to get more than 6 feet of continuous projection for hours on end. No lotion, only 4 sprays straight to skin. Seems to work beautifully for my chemistry. Shocking.

Overall I think it is an excellent tropical & summery fragrance. I do wish the opening notes last forever, as it would have been the perfect scent for me.

Creed has done it again with the quality of the notes used. I do suggest everyone sample it first before making a committed purchase but it's mainly due to the performance issues a lot of people seem to get.

I give this one an 8.5/10
14th February, 2014
This is the BEST smell in the world. 100% perfect. Sadly it doesn't last long. I literally spray myself 20 times or more and within 2 hours it's gone.

I have been told my a beautiful woman when wearing "I want to eat you." 4oz bottle for $100 from fragrance shop is the only way I'd buy. 4.0 lasts only one month.
19th December, 2013
Almost Gourmand

Virgin Island Water is the latest Creed that I've acquired; and the one that left me curious since most people said that this is the finest coconut based scent in the market - I see now that they had a good reason to say so

VIW starts with burst of fresh and crisp lime, surprisingly pleasant from someone who usually dislike lime - There's a lot of sweetness accompany the opening (but I haven't been able to detect the Rum as a single notes, it closer to pinacolada in my nose opinion - IMNO) before it changes with slight ginger and floral added to the shining coconut, gives it more character before the coconut becoming something close to a gourmand character; it's not a sugary coconut but more of a crisp coconut cookies smells-alike.

A Great transformation from lime freshness with boozy-characteristics before settles down with mouthwatering coconut - a well crafted fragrance that have a good character and could be a good signature as well (and a good idea since it's rarer to find someone wearing this than GIT, SMW, IM or Aventus)

Scent-wise, VIW is an astonishing fragrance with multifaceted scent that transform itself beautifully - projection's good and I had receive some compliments and people seemed liking it in positive lights, while the staying power is good the projection would quickly subdued after 2 hours

And one more, it smelt better on the skin rather than in the clothes

???? for a nice tropical surprise from Creed

Pros: scent quality
Cons: quickly became a skin scent"

19th October, 2013
The 2013 batch is a must buy

I have the new Virgin Island Water, the 2013 batch and I have to say wow. It is amazing. It also has the new cap on it, I personally liked the old one. I previously had a 2011 batch and it had some longevity issues but this new one o man it is a beast it last on my skin for long time.Ill leave a link to the review I did of it on my youtube channel if you all are interested in checking it out.

Pros: Everything
Cons: its not edible "

20th September, 2013
Nice unique scent

Surprised at the reviews calling this too sweet or cloying. This is a very nice scent and I really like it. There are definitely way sweeter scents out there and this is nowhere near that. Does smell somewhat like pina coladas, but that is a good smell nonetheless IMO. To me this is bound to become a "feel good scent". I doubt I will be wearing this as often as some other things in my collection, but I am pretty sure that when I do it would be really fun. Wearing this at the office right now makes me realize how much I miss los aguas azules de la Carribean :) Good longevity so far and while not a projection monster, I think it makes its presense known.

Pros: Positive associations
Cons: Not as versatile"

10th September, 2013
Review of VIW by RichNTacoma

Been siting with a sample for a couple of days. This is a great, happy smell to me. As folks have said, simple coconut and some citrus. I almost pulled the trigger on buying this today, but I wonder how often I will want to smell like a happy big coconut? Great smelling, but perhaps not as versatile as I would like.

______

I was able to find a small split of this, and glad that I did. In spite of its simplicity, it is just a fun, happy scent that I can see wearing periodically. While it may a summer scent, I can see wearing this in the winter as a sort of pick me up on our cloudy, Pacific Northwest days.

22nd August, 2013
Fun weekend scent

Wake up, spritz it on, and reminds me of being at the beach.

A light coconut smell, not strong like suntan lotion. It's like a Pina Colada but a homemade Pina Colada, not a store-bought mix that tastes like sugar and yuck.

If the smell of Pina Coladas reminds you of the beach and fun times in the sun, then this scent is a winner. It's not sweet or soapy.

Doesn't last long tho

Pros: Coconut and lime, but not overdone
Cons: Depends on mood"

21st August, 2013
Summer Fresh Happiness

Virgin Island Water is a great summer scent. It smells like a coconut that is bathing in hot lemon juice. The coconut begins to melt and is then put in ice cold water. The steam that arises is Virgin Island Water. This stuff smells great, and from what I've noticed easy to wear anytime of the day.

Although, I would not pay creed price for this, if your lucky like me you can find a used bottle on eBay, or grey market.

Pros: Cocunut, Lime
Cons: Lasts 2 hours for me.."

19th August, 2013
someday i decided to blind buy VIW..
the product is not bad of course, has an insisting coconut thing (i love copra!) but there is an oldfashioned sense there also, but in not so good way like something from the old grandma's closet that i didnt really die for :/
After that (and probably from the beginning) a lot of sweetness arround - obviously the sugar cane did this in a way that the smell doesn't feel fresh then but sweet ..Also not that clean as it shown from the marketing terms and the longevity is below average// all in all is a not bad scent, but really expensive so you have ti try it first before buy :)

Pros: coconut feel
Cons: oldfashioned, poor longevity, so sweet"
30th July, 2013 (last edited: 29th May, 2014)
Virgin Island Water by Creed

Simplistic, similar to cheaper fragrances, and smells like suntan lotion? Maybe those are true, but they don't detract from what Virgin Island Water is in it's own right.

Burst of a lime citrus at opening, that dries down into coconut, rum, and sugar cane. VIW has one of the best basenote compositions of all Creeds despite not having ambergris. Pleasant from beginning to end, and while it is a wonderful summer fragrance redolent of summer beaches, it is still very versatile and wearable if you look beyond the cliche. Projection and longevity are below average, but not terrible and while it is a recognizable flaw, it doesn't change the recommendability of this fragrance

In my opinion this is a wonderful summer fragrance that towers above most others. It is something that you should sample and try on your skin several times before you make a judgment.

29th May, 2013
A scent to lift your spirits!. A feel good scent. Very long lasting and certainly leaves a trail. Perfect for spring and summer.
12th May, 2013
I can smell the beach, it is a very good impression of a sunny day at the beach indeed, but why spend the outrageous price of this fragrance if you can get an even better impression of the beach with Comptoir Sud Pacifique Aqua Motu at only a fraction of the cost.
VIW as a boozy note that is lacking in CsPAM, but still I prefer Aqua Motu. Even if the price were the same, I still would prefer AM. So no contest here.
And even cheaper, Tommy Bahama Set Sail St Bart gives you the same beach feeling, and to me, if they were available at the same price, for me it would be a toss up, so IMO this perfume has no place in the market at all.
It is not bad, believe me, but I would not consider buying this having better choices at a more convenient price. The thumbs down is not on its intrinsic qualities per se, but rather because of the fact that it doesn't stand to the competition.
10th May, 2013
The coconut, lime, sugar cane and rum transport you in an instant to a tropical paradise at sun set with the girl of your dreams. Some people say that putting an atomiser on a bottle of Malibu is a far cheaper alternative that gives you the same results. I don't agree, this is a very high quality scent, it's indulgence and luxury in a bottle. If you need a social scent for good times and happy memories in warm weather and can splash a bit of cash as a treat, then this could be the one for you. I advise using decants as you will need to reapply every 4 hours but when something smells this nice poor longevity can be excused.
26th April, 2013
Just a fun, uplifting scent. Have not tried in winter, only spring.
Longevity decent for a Creed. At least worthy of a good size decant.
8.5/10
18th April, 2013
Tony T Show all reviews
This is the ultimate nice weather frag!!
The bergamot/lime/coconut opening lasts the duration of the scent.Jasmine and ylang ylang are added to give it a floral feel after a few minutes but it remains unisex not feminine.
The Sugar cane adds sweetness to the opening notes while the musk balances everything out and gives it great longevity..
I have had several samples and decided to buy a FB and am highly delighted..
Also- no batch issues to worry about!!
16th April, 2013 (last edited: 07th December, 2013)
Smells like something you would find in a store catering to pre-teen girls. Coconut, lime, wow, if this was under an Avon or Mary Kay label, everyone would make fun of it. but...it is Creed.
30th March, 2013
Fantastic summertime fragrance. Wonderful, tropical vibe with the coconut, lime, rum, and musk notes. This one is great for summer outings, going to resorts, etc. Very happy with this one from Creed.
23rd March, 2013
I am sensitive to smells and quite picky. For a long time I didn't wear perfume because I couldn't find anything that I wanted to wear for more than an hour. I tried several samples of CREED VIW until I finally bought a bottle. It is so unique and nostalgic and summery and vacationy. It lasts WAY LONGER than other expensive brands like BYREDO - (and I love Byredo's Bal D'Afrique). CREED VIW is a year-round unisex amazing scent. I used the Perfumed Court to buy samples first and when I knew I was in love with this pefume I bought a 2.5 floz bottle of Virgin Island Water from another site online for $95. If anyone who loves this as much as I do has a recommendation for other scents I may enjoy, please post or message. Sometimes in Summer or when I want to feel nostalgic I also use Bobbi Brown BEACH which smells exactly like the old Coppertone suntan lotion. Creed VIW starts out limey and lemony with rum undertones....and coconut in the distance, but fresh, quality lime scent not the fake green lime scent. There is definitely a difference in quality between cheaper perfumes and the more expensive ones like CREED and BYREDO = you get what you pay for.
13th February, 2013