Reviews of Virgin Island Water by Creed

Find out more about Virgin Island Water by Creed in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

G.M.K.'s avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

I like the idea of lime , rum , coconut and the beach , behind this fragrance , but to me its a lil lime and rum at start and dominating coconut "Bounty" like fragrance due to dominating co co nut, its yummy , delicious and a very simple scent which I can wear once in a blue moon just for change of taste, otherwise it sometime strongly reminds me coconut oil.

I would recommend it to women rather, as imo it suits more to them.

13 July, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Citrus

Nice, but…

Both my wife and I tried Virgin Island Water, and both came to the same conclusion: it’s very pretty, but it smells too much like suntan lotion to spend hundreds of dollars on. Coconut is the villain here. Well-integrated coconut can lend fragrances a certain creamy richness, as in Philosykos, Carnal Flower, or Dawn Spencer Hurwitz’s Bamboo. But when it’s prominent and isolated, as in Virgin Island Water, it quickly gets me thinking “Coppertone.” Maître Parfumeur et Gantier’s Bahiana is another tropical fruit blend that’s spiked with coconut, but I find its coconut in better balance, effectively blended with a rich base of gaiac and rosewood. If you’re looking for a tropical cocktail scent for the summer, I’d recommend Bahiana, Nicolaï’s Juste un Rêve, or even Fresh’s goofy Sugar Lychee over Virgin Island Water.

09 July, 2014

DMA's avatar

A Gorgous unisex fragrance which is definitey one of the best from the Creed house, if not the best imo.

I basically get a citrusy lime with hints of coconut. Its quite musky and combined with the rum it gives it some depth and a little warmth, preventing it from going into the childish tropical fruit punch territory. You can pick up on the sugar cane too theres some sweetness, but not sickly sweet.

What it lacks in versatility it makes for in just being... Well, a first class summer fragrance for me and even my mother too. :)

17 May, 2014

Sly2scents's avatar

This is a summer delight I like to think of it as a vacation scent. That opening of coconut, bergamote, and musk really graces the skin. The longevity is lacking but the fragrance is none the less a summer favorite for myself.

10th May, 2014

Francolino's avatar

wonderful lime opening and beautiful coconut drydown..5 hours duration..thought it was a flop but actually great!

01st April, 2014

Silent_Ninja's avatar

This fragrance has been high on my test list for the hype it gets and for the generally positive reviews with performance issues being the main drawback.

First applied you get a huge blast of lime followed by coconut moments after. Very natural, and indeed a tropical bliss. One of the greatest openings I've experienced on a summery scent. Fresh, tropical, and beachy.

The opening is my favorite part, but for about the 20 minutes that it lasts the inevitable drydown follows..

The lime settles a bit, and you begin detecting the rum note infused with the coconut, and I'm guessing the sugar cane note follows. What I get here is a sweet & purply smell reminiscent of the beverage Pina Colada with a touch of lime. The fragrance stays this way all the way through.

Unfortunately I can't say I'm a very big fan of the drydown, but the top notes are what made me love the fragrance.

Performance:

Longevity is excellent. Definitely enough for me. Over 10+ hours.

Projection is again, excellent. I am indeed very lucky to be able to get more than 6 feet of continuous projection for hours on end. No lotion, only 4 sprays straight to skin. Seems to work beautifully for my chemistry. Shocking.

Overall I think it is an excellent tropical & summery fragrance. I do wish the opening notes last forever, as it would have been the perfect scent for me.

Creed has done it again with the quality of the notes used. I do suggest everyone sample it first before making a committed purchase but it's mainly due to the performance issues a lot of people seem to get.

I give this one an 8.5/10

14 February, 2014

MikeVee's avatar

This is the BEST smell in the world. 100% perfect. Sadly it doesn't last long. I literally spray myself 20 times or more and within 2 hours it's gone.

I have been told my a beautiful woman when wearing "I want to eat you." 4oz bottle for $100 from fragrance shop is the only way I'd buy. 4.0 lasts only one month.

19 December, 2013

reinhard5490's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Almost Gourmand

Virgin Island Water is the latest Creed that I've acquired; and the one that left me curious since most people said that this is the finest coconut based scent in the market - I see now that they had a good reason to say so

VIW starts with burst of fresh and crisp lime, surprisingly pleasant from someone who usually dislike lime - There's a lot of sweetness accompany the opening (but I haven't been able to detect the Rum as a single notes, it closer to pinacolada in my nose opinion - IMNO) before it changes with slight ginger and floral added to the shining coconut, gives it more character before the coconut becoming something close to a gourmand character; it's not a sugary coconut but more of a crisp coconut cookies smells-alike.

A Great transformation from lime freshness with boozy-characteristics before settles down with mouthwatering coconut - a well crafted fragrance that have a good character and could be a good signature as well (and a good idea since it's rarer to find someone wearing this than GIT, SMW, IM or Aventus)

Scent-wise, VIW is an astonishing fragrance with multifaceted scent that transform itself beautifully - projection's good and I had receive some compliments and people seemed liking it in positive lights, while the staying power is good the projection would quickly subdued after 2 hours

And one more, it smelt better on the skin rather than in the clothes

???? for a nice tropical surprise from Creed

Pros: scent quality
    Cons: quickly became a skin scent"

19 October, 2013

djgordo1's avatar

The 2013 batch is a must buy

I have the new Virgin Island Water, the 2013 batch and I have to say wow. It is amazing. It also has the new cap on it, I personally liked the old one. I previously had a 2011 batch and it had some longevity issues but this new one o man it is a beast it last on my skin for long time.Ill leave a link to the review I did of it on my youtube channel if you all are interested in checking it out.

Pros: Everything
    Cons: its not edible "

20th September, 2013

VanMarlton's avatar

Nice unique scent

Surprised at the reviews calling this too sweet or cloying. This is a very nice scent and I really like it. There are definitely way sweeter scents out there and this is nowhere near that. Does smell somewhat like pina coladas, but that is a good smell nonetheless IMO. To me this is bound to become a "feel good scent". I doubt I will be wearing this as often as some other things in my collection, but I am pretty sure that when I do it would be really fun. Wearing this at the office right now makes me realize how much I miss los aguas azules de la Carribean :) Good longevity so far and while not a projection monster, I think it makes its presense known.

Pros: Positive associations
    Cons: Not as versatile"

10th September, 2013

RichNTacoma's avatar

Review of VIW by RichNTacoma

Been siting with a sample for a couple of days. This is a great, happy smell to me. As folks have said, simple coconut and some citrus. I almost pulled the trigger on buying this today, but I wonder how often I will want to smell like a happy big coconut? Great smelling, but perhaps not as versatile as I would like.

______

I was able to find a small split of this, and glad that I did. In spite of its simplicity, it is just a fun, happy scent that I can see wearing periodically. While it may a summer scent, I can see wearing this in the winter as a sort of pick me up on our cloudy, Pacific Northwest days.

22 August, 2013

Happyguy's avatar

Fun weekend scent

Wake up, spritz it on, and reminds me of being at the beach.

A light coconut smell, not strong like suntan lotion. It's like a Pina Colada but a homemade Pina Colada, not a store-bought mix that tastes like sugar and yuck.

If the smell of Pina Coladas reminds you of the beach and fun times in the sun, then this scent is a winner. It's not sweet or soapy.

Doesn't last long tho

Pros: Coconut and lime, but not overdone
    Cons: Depends on mood"

21st August, 2013

Countdown12's avatar

Summer Fresh Happiness

Virgin Island Water is a great summer scent. It smells like a coconut that is bathing in hot lemon juice. The coconut begins to melt and is then put in ice cold water. The steam that arises is Virgin Island Water. This stuff smells great, and from what I've noticed easy to wear anytime of the day.

Although, I would not pay creed price for this, if your lucky like me you can find a used bottle on eBay, or grey market.

Pros: Cocunut, Lime
    Cons: Lasts 2 hours for me.."

19 August, 2013

patsavouta's avatar

someday i decided to blind buy VIW..
    the product is not bad of course, has an insisting coconut thing (i love copra!) but there is an oldfashioned sense there also, but in not so good way like something from the old grandma's closet that i didnt really die for :/
    After that (and probably from the beginning) a lot of sweetness arround - obviously the sugar cane did this in a way that the smell doesn't feel fresh then but sweet ..Also not that clean as it shown from the marketing terms and the longevity is below average// all in all is a not bad scent, but really expensive so you have ti try it first before buy :)

Pros: coconut feel
    Cons: oldfashioned, poor longevity, so sweet"

30th July, 2013 (Last Edited: 29 May, 2014)

noirdrakkar's avatar

Virgin Island Water by Creed

Simplistic, similar to cheaper fragrances, and smells like suntan lotion? Maybe those are true, but they don't detract from what Virgin Island Water is in it's own right.

Burst of a lime citrus at opening, that dries down into coconut, rum, and sugar cane. VIW has one of the best basenote compositions of all Creeds despite not having ambergris. Pleasant from beginning to end, and while it is a wonderful summer fragrance redolent of summer beaches, it is still very versatile and wearable if you look beyond the cliche. Projection and longevity are below average, but not terrible and while it is a recognizable flaw, it doesn't change the recommendability of this fragrance

In my opinion this is a wonderful summer fragrance that towers above most others. It is something that you should sample and try on your skin several times before you make a judgment.

29 May, 2013

fa23's avatar

A scent to lift your spirits!. A feel good scent. Very long lasting and certainly leaves a trail. Perfect for spring and summer.

12 May, 2013

PerfumeCollector's avatar

I can smell the beach, it is a very good impression of a sunny day at the beach indeed, but why spend the outrageous price of this fragrance if you can get an even better impression of the beach with Comptoir Sud Pacifique Aqua Motu at only a fraction of the cost.
    VIW as a boozy note that is lacking in CsPAM, but still I prefer Aqua Motu. Even if the price were the same, I still would prefer AM. So no contest here.
    And even cheaper, Tommy Bahama Set Sail St Bart gives you the same beach feeling, and to me, if they were available at the same price, for me it would be a toss up, so IMO this perfume has no place in the market at all.
    It is not bad, believe me, but I would not consider buying this having better choices at a more convenient price. The thumbs down is not on its intrinsic qualities per se, but rather because of the fact that it doesn't stand to the competition.

10th May, 2013

Mrpleasent's avatar

The coconut, lime, sugar cane and rum transport you in an instant to a tropical paradise at sun set with the girl of your dreams. Some people say that putting an atomiser on a bottle of Malibu is a far cheaper alternative that gives you the same results. I don't agree, this is a very high quality scent, it's indulgence and luxury in a bottle. If you need a social scent for good times and happy memories in warm weather and can splash a bit of cash as a treat, then this could be the one for you. I advise using decants as you will need to reapply every 4 hours but when something smells this nice poor longevity can be excused.

26 April, 2013

reveillee's avatar

Just a fun, uplifting scent. Have not tried in winter, only spring.
    Longevity decent for a Creed. At least worthy of a good size decant.
    8.5/10

18 April, 2013

Tony T's avatar

This is the ultimate nice weather frag!!
    The bergamot/lime/coconut opening lasts the duration of the scent.Jasmine and ylang ylang are added to give it a floral feel after a few minutes but it remains unisex not feminine.
    The Sugar cane adds sweetness to the opening notes while the musk balances everything out and gives it great longevity..
    I have had several samples and decided to buy a FB and am highly delighted..
    Also- no batch issues to worry about!!

16 April, 2013 (Last Edited: 07 December, 2013)

Danielstripedtiger's avatar

Smells like something you would find in a store catering to pre-teen girls. Coconut, lime, wow, if this was under an Avon or Mary Kay label, everyone would make fun of it. but...it is Creed.

30th March, 2013

senore01's avatar

Fantastic summertime fragrance. Wonderful, tropical vibe with the coconut, lime, rum, and musk notes. This one is great for summer outings, going to resorts, etc. Very happy with this one from Creed.

23 March, 2013

mahalo's avatar

I am sensitive to smells and quite picky. For a long time I didn't wear perfume because I couldn't find anything that I wanted to wear for more than an hour. I tried several samples of CREED VIW until I finally bought a bottle. It is so unique and nostalgic and summery and vacationy. It lasts WAY LONGER than other expensive brands like BYREDO - (and I love Byredo's Bal D'Afrique). CREED VIW is a year-round unisex amazing scent. I used the Perfumed Court to buy samples first and when I knew I was in love with this pefume I bought a 2.5 floz bottle of Virgin Island Water from another site online for $95. If anyone who loves this as much as I do has a recommendation for other scents I may enjoy, please post or message. Sometimes in Summer or when I want to feel nostalgic I also use Bobbi Brown BEACH which smells exactly like the old Coppertone suntan lotion. Creed VIW starts out limey and lemony with rum undertones....and coconut in the distance, but fresh, quality lime scent not the fake green lime scent. There is definitely a difference in quality between cheaper perfumes and the more expensive ones like CREED and BYREDO = you get what you pay for.

13 February, 2013

Possum-Pie's avatar

Coconut and lime. Very uninspired, very uncreative...If it wasn't Creed, it would have many more negatives...but put the big Creed logo on the bottle and people swoon over it. It doesn't smell bad, just boring like something from Bath and Body Works discount bin.

26 January, 2013

jtd's avatar

Virgin Island Water wants to convey "tropical." It doesn't smell so much like the Carribean as it does a Brit on holiday in the Carribean. It doesn't smell like coconuts and warm weather flowers. It smells like mojitos, piña coladas and suntan lotion (that's the anscestor of sunblock to you kids.) I smell VIW and I visualize the stereotypical holiday traveller. The pasty skin turning red and the oddly conceived shorts, socks and shoes combinations.

Another risk of the piña colada flavor is that it can evoke the scent of fabric softener. Where Angel might be able to pull off the edible/poisonous contradiction, VIW can't. But then again, I don't like piña coladas. The irony (well, one irony) of this perfume is that the cloying aspects would be magnified if worn in a hot, humid location, the Virgin Islands for instance.

Despite the build up to the 2012 Olympics I feel that England itself needs no PR. Does GB really need Creed, then, to export its equivalent to the ugly American, the holiday traveller with visions of 007 dancing in his head?

30th November, 2012

sjg3839's avatar

Great for the summer. Longevity is not all that good though. The coconut and lime blend is good for picnics and outdoor activities. Don't cheat yourself, treat yourself!

22 August, 2012

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

This is an amazing fragrance with so pleasant smell. a great choice for spring and summer days.
    The opening is semi sweet lemon with some coconut which is in the background. you can smell some rum in the opening too, but it's not boozy rum.
    Lemon 70% + coconut 20% + rum 10%
    The lemon here is not fresh and natural like Dior Homme Sport for example. it's creamy with touch of coconut and rum. imagine Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche without pepper and with some coconut and rum mixing with it.
    After about half an hour, the lemon note start to decay and now it's coconut turn to shine!
    In the drydown the beautiful coconut come in and say hello guys!
    It's sweet, creamy and delicious. the sweetness is not cloying or powdery. it's very smooth and pleasant and you will have this scent to the end.
    I get around 6-7 hours out of it for longevity. at the first 3 hours this fragrance project great and everybody can smell it but after that it's a skin scent but still have a good projection.
    I love it and it's one of the the greatest by Creed.

21st June, 2012

DazWah84's avatar

One of my favorites! The creamy coconut+lime is very refreshing and good to wear all year round. I dont get what people say about the sunscreen smell?

16 June, 2012

Preston H's avatar

Amazing scent, nothing better in summer weather. With that being said its a little feminine, but all that means is that it'll have women all over you. Lime n copra up top and it dries down as a sugary flower base. As my first creed blind buy it holds a special place on my shelf

14 May, 2012

thespark's avatar

Egypt Egypt

It really boggles my mind how this has received as much praise as it has. This smells like coconut and lime, and little else. I also find that, while it lasts, it is quite cloying and nauseating, so I really can't imagine this in the heat at all; if you were to wear this in the summer I would liken the experience to being car sick in a hot cab with cheap air freshener. It smells alot like a mixture of suntan lotion and Cif toilet cleaner, with poor longevity. This is an Ostensibly safe blind buy, but don't be fooled and always sample first.

14 May, 2012