Reviews of Virgin Island Water by Creed

You are laying on the beach somewhere in the caribbean. As you lay there with your eyes closed, soaking up the sun, someone nearby is lathering themselves up with suntan lotion. Jimmy Buffet is singing "It's five o'clock somewhere" over the speaker system of a nearby resort. You can hear the ocean's waves crashing to shore. Laying in the sand next to you are two half empty cups of a resorts watered down pinacolada drink. The air is humid and thick. There is a slight salty ocean breeze which is helping the humid air seem manageable. Creed's Virgin Island Water is this experience in a bottle!

Remember as a child how you would open up the suntan bottle in the middle of winter and sniff that coconut smell (well at least I did) and be instantly transported to a warmer place, well now there's VIW to spray on and sniff throughout the day and imagine oneself somewhere far far away from the office. It's funny as VIW is truly a summer scent but it's in the winter when one wants to wear it the most and dream of the summer and the beach.

The main scents at play here seem to be coconut and lime. VIW lasts a bit longer than most Creed scents and three or four sprays at the beginning of the day (assuming you are spraying from a legit Creed bottle) and you should be good to go. This fragrance leans a bit to the feminine side of "unisex" though this certainly doesn't stop me from wearing it. It also layers great with some of Creed's other fragrances from the Millesime line such as Aventus or Royal Oud.

Overall I give this scent a solid eight out of ten. What it lacks in refinement it more then makes up for in the pure delight it brings when you close your eyes, breath it in, and imagine yourself in the scene described above.
25th November, 2016
Such an evocative scent.
Beautifully blended in a way that doesnt create a mess. You pick up the lime, transition to cocunut rum and then the rest of the dry dowwn is a day dream.
If only this could last longer so i could get wafts of paradise in my nostrils all day.
Overall 8/10
Longevity 4/10
20th November, 2016
Tropical paradise...opens with some lime and coconut...sweet boozy coconut pretty much for the
life of this...nice for sitting around on a summer
evening on the patio and having a mini staycation...
16th September, 2016

virgin island water is just a masterpiece!

every time i smell this fragrance it reminds me of just being at the beach with a drink in my hand and just watching the waves splashing. starts off with this nice citrus opening which only lasts for a few minutes then you get this blast of lovely coconut and some light sweet rum and its just a nice coconut smell all thought the dry down. not good on compliments but this one is just good for personal pleasure.

smell 10/10
uniqueness 10/10
projection 6/10
longevity 7/10
compliments 4/10
06th May, 2016 (last edited: 10th May, 2016)
Lime, Rum & Coconut...

This is one I liked instantly. A lovely fragrance which transitions between all the stages, going from tropical and fresh to gourmand and woody. I cannot fault it for smell. Just a wonderful experience on skin.

Virgin Island Water is my second fragrance from the house of Creed. I must say I am not disappointed. I get fresh lime and a very authentic rum note (imagine any kind of rum you like, this fragrance is true to the note). That sweet, sugary, boozy smell mixed with the fresh lime, which then transitions into a beautifully juicy coconut heart, before going into a creamy coconut base.

All in all, a great experience! I believe fragrances should make us happy, and this one succeeds. Ultimately, I think it's a fragrance which should be tried on skin throughout the day, to get the full impression. For me it's a great smell and a good overall fragrance. The smell of great memories in faraway places full of happiness and sunshine. I'm impressed!
29th March, 2016
This literally transports me to a tropical island walking along the sandy beach. Virgin Island Water is such an enjoyable fragrance. I'm still picking up whiffs of it 9.5 hours after application. Great sillage and longevity for me. This is a light fragrance compared to some of the other Creeds, but it still lasts a lot better on my skin that Terre d'Hermes. I love the lime/coconut/rum transition...very enjoyable. Today was a cold day, and the nice thing about VIW is you can spray it on and feel the tropical vibe and freshness, even when it's miserable outside. This is a beautiful scent and I'm so glad I discovered it that day at Nordstoms. Highly recommended.
16th March, 2016
Even when buying other fragrances while in Saks, I would always take a whiff of this one at the Creed counter. Eventually, I bought the smallest bottle for myself.

It is a fantastic scent and very linear after the initial lime blast. You'll definitely notice the coconut and lime in it. I also pick up a very sweet sugarcookie-ish scent.

If I spray 5 times, the scent will last all day. My normal spray count is 3 and it becomes a skin scent after the 6 hour mark. My overall score for this one is 9/10. It would be a perfect 10 if it lasted the entire day.
15th March, 2016
VIW is one of the few fragrances that literally makes me smile, giggle, laugh to myself every time I catch a blast when I wear it. The gent who sold me my first bottle of Creed (Aventus) insisted I try VIW when I was sampling saying "it's a vacation in a bottle" he elegantly described and boy was he right. It's something I wear for me, plus my wife and lil 5 yr old daughter love it. Most importantly, it's a reminder to not take myself or the world so seriously. I can't wear it everyday given I have client presos, close quarter meetings, and mentor to others so smelling like a frat house isn't a good look, but I do love it. It's perfect for a day of run-on conference calls.

In terms of value, I've purchased a few Creeds at NM in Metro Detroit, but bought GIT, VIW, and Nautica Voyage with $80 to spare from Fragrancenet.com after returning my bottle of MI to NM (check out my review of MI, not cool). I would pay retail for VIW for all the reasons listed above, plus I get good longevity, not great but good, that lasts most of the day. I don't wear a frag to get compliments, but this one does bring about some inquires, which being in Tech and mainly working with a bunch of nerdy dudes, is probably the best case scenario.

03rd March, 2016
Virgin Island Water is one of the most "un-traditional/breaking with the classic Creed's tradition" Creed's creations, a scent speaking a more modern finally "post-Victorian" language while running its far caribbean olfactory territories. You can effectively dream far exotic Central American or Pacific islands while enjoying on skin its freshly structured tropical architecture. The structure is not complex but it exists and unveils its soapy/aqueous secrets along the way. I find the juice quite balanced and delicate on skin, I don't get "olfactive drawbacks", just catch an easy basically synthetic recipe finally delicately soapy but with a bunch of interesting shades (floral, woody, musky, spicy, salty). Soapiness is never properly lacteous since there is a basic woody-hesperidic support fixing down the scent's basically aqueous/breezy "cheerful" nature. The first impression emerging while inhaling Virgin Island Water on your skin is related to its "oceanic coconutty" exoticism afforded by a combination of ylang-ylang (heady on the side of coco water/milk), coconutty milk, boozy lime, "rum based cocktail booziness" and hints of hidden oceanic saltiness. There is an undeniable floral core finally "at distance" unfolding a subtle spark of floral variegate luxuriousness but what basically strikes me is this general delicate soapiness quite dreamy, breezy and tropical. Ginger provides a "far oceanic lands" type of freshness while it seems to catch vetiver and secret marine "molecules" in the general recipe. It is quite evident the final warmth impressed by tonkinian musk and woods but I get a touch of exotic salty vetiver providing a sort of mineral-woody saltiness playing as hidden undertone. There is hibiscus in the blend, one of my favorite glamour/chic floral patterns (on the side of sambac jasmine), providing a touch of chic cosmetical sophistication in the air. Spicy rum, mandarine, sugar cane and coconut are nicely combined in order to elicit this delicate pina colada's pleasant taste, the "edible" substance of which seems playing in "pool" with a "coconutty tanning foam-like" vibe and a freshly gingery spicy piquancy. I find this juice "honest" and captivating (really respectfully I don't see the point on several previous "banging" rejections), a pleasant versatile aroma to wear for a sunny tropical "free in the wind" holiday in company of your beloved.
05th December, 2015
revtil Show all reviews
I don't get a lot of complexity out of VIW, but I feel this is a scent that doesn't require it. On initial spray I get a huge burst of lime and bergamot - wow. It really smells like lemon-lime candy, in a good way. This quickly burns off and the coconut starts coming into play, mixed in with a sugary, boozy rum. The lime still stands in the background, but it's much more subdued. I know coconut turns a lot of people off, we can blame sunscreen for that, but it's very natural here and not sickly sweet. I also get bit of jasmine at this point, but it's very faint. From here on out VIW stays pretty linear on skin.

One thing I find interesting is that VIW lasts literally forever on me, while most citrus fragrances last only a few hours. I'm not sure why that is, but I'm definitely not complaining.

I'll be packing this in my bag for my trip to Turks and Caicos next year, and I imagine VIW will not disappoint. Beaches, sand, drinks, and sun are what this fragrance is all about.
02nd December, 2015
This is a scent with much hype and were I a richer person, I'd have bought a bottle straight away after testing a decant. Alas I am not.

It is a beautiful fresh clean scent with a hint of warmness to it. The coconut is wonderfully bold and simmers to down to a delectable combination of white rum and sugar cane. It's all the notes I enjoy put together rather nicely.

I can see this being a long-time favourite and staple scent for me...if I could just will myself to spend that on a perfume bottle.

10th November, 2015
I have never been able to handle anything with coconut in it, whether it's the smell, taste or texture, coconut is a no go for me. Since the wife and I built our second home across from the beach, I annually get assaulted by coconut sun products. My daughter mercifully knows Dad's aversion to coconut and honors my request for no coconut scents. All I can add is that for those who like VIW, please enjoy it, just put on some Aventus before dropping by.

EROLFA is my summer preference from Creed in both notes and performance. Love Creed, just not coconut.
06th October, 2015
Coconut and Rum. Very simple, very bland. Not even remotely worth the price tag.
17th September, 2015

I was looking for a unique summer themed fragrance, living in Florida I was hoping to find something that could survive the humidity and this was not it. I'm glad I only got a 5ml decant being as the price was really up there.

I tried hard to like this especially after the reviews and hype surrounding it but I just couldn't.

The first 60 sec was a blast of lime, then the coconut set in. After about 5 mins the coconut turned VERY creamy to the point where it smelled like make-up. I looked to see if iris was a note but I didn't see anything. I hoped that the creaminess would eventually fade but it was linear throughout the one hour long performance.

I'm disappointed in this one only because of the price and the performance. I can't wait to finish this sample so I can keep the sprayer and replace it with something else!
02nd August, 2015
I really wanted to like this, and the various notes seemed to promise an enjoyable summer scent.

All I got was a bit of fruity/alcoholic freshness, followed by coconut... all of which disappeared after a bare hour. It didn't project much if at all on me either.

Much as I liked this scent, I would expected this sort of result from something nice and cheap- and would choose that rather than fork out megabucks for VIW. Shame really.
16th July, 2015
Freshly squeezed limes, rum, coconut….it’s not an overly complex smell but it does what it says on the tin. Creed Virgin Island Water has to be the fragrance equivalent of the sentiments expressed in those 90’s Lilt adverts, where the running joke was about how laid back life in the Caribbean was, and how the only thing that got people stressed over there was how to pull your dinghy up from the sea to the beach bar in time for happy hour.

It smells like a cocktail with lime, Malibu, rum, and well, that’s about it. I think it’s massively over-priced and would be more suited to a body spray rather than a niche fragrance. But the smell is so good-humored and promising of drunken relaxation that I can’t see how anyone could actively dislike it. If you’re the kind of person who wrinkles their nose at a good cocktail, then I don’t want to know ya.
01st July, 2015
On my skin, this smells like a colorful Popsicle from summertime; it's definitely a unisex scent. The two main notes for me are lime and coconut that basically stays constant throughout its linear dry down. The lime is the best lime note I've ever smelled: sweet and not too citrusy while mixing with the coconut perfectly.

It's one of those scents where I just can't get enough of and wish I had more than a tester vial of it, and that rarely happens with me and sampling fragrances; hell, even Aventus took 2 times for me to appreciate it. Usually I need more than one wearing of a frag to appreciate it, but seems like an easy crowd-pleaser for summertime wear.

The big downfall of this scent is that it has a very short longevity, about 1.5 - 3 hours. For $160+ for 120 ml, I do not think I can justify spending money on something I have to keep on reapplying every few hours.
22nd June, 2015
Jtm Show all reviews
Love this stuff! I sampled it on my skin at the store and sure enough coconut... After walking around letting it dry down the limes came out.. Sold... On the way home my daughter (the 11 yr old nose knows lol) kept sniffing my arm to see which notes she could pick out.... At one point coconut the next limes and they altered back and forth for a bit before finally settling into what she described as coconut sun tan lotion with the ocean wind.... That very night I couldn't help but notice a woman behind me at a check out line getting closer and sniffing... Good stuff longevity is of course 4-5 hours with it being so light of a fragrance and I can't complain about that. It's also not something most wear which is one thing I look for. all in all 2 thumbs up.
21st June, 2015
Emoe Show all reviews
Your drink Sir?

Oh thankyou. oh how i love sitting here, the sun is high, beating down on the white sands, scantily clad women sunbathing, hard muscled men swimming the pool, the palm leaves are gently swaying in the light ocean breeze.
a ship in the distance is sailing slowly across the horizon. My drink is cool, ice melting slowly, the aroma is delightful, so refreshing, my drink....my drink....

Yes, Virgin Island Water, this is like Malibu on your skin. I can really see how their marketing department wrote the speel on this one, it really does give you the sense of tropical beaches. Very coconutty top notes really splash throughout, and give an air of freshness and sweetness to the whole affair.

this coconut accord stays but mutes down, and the dryer notes poke through, and mellow this frag delightfully.

This has edged its way to the top of my list of creeds, and is a Brilliant summer scent!
18th June, 2015
Probably the second most hyped Creed men's fragrance behind Aventus, Virgin Island Water promises the coconut rum beach joy of summer and certainly delivers. It's a pleasant blend of citrus and coconut as top notes and musk and rum as base notes, and while it only opens slightly more citrus-y than it ends, it does become more gradually subdued over time. It may be one of the closest mimics of Malibu liqueur in fragrance, though I'm sure there are plenty of rum-like fragrances that I'm unaware of.

Projection and longevity-wise, it's not a powerhouse but quite strong for a warm-weather EDP, and that it's widely available on fragrancenet and other third-party sources makes it all the more appealing even though it's not room-filler. This is mostly a summer day fragrance but I imagine it can be expanded to summer night and winter days, even, if the mood is right.

I'm certainly not in the camp of worshiping VIW, as the rum note is a bit too dense to keep it as fresh as Aventus, Silver Mountain Water, or Himalaya--each of which has a subtler base---but I enjoy it plenty still.

7 out of 10
29th May, 2015
Most of the notes alleged in this fragrance are imaginary. It is almost entirely coconut. Citrus? Lime? Whatever. Coconut. 3 out of 5
12th May, 2015
Absolutely stunning. If it's summer, there's a good chance I'm wearing Virgin Island Water as it flawlessly encapsulates everything I look for in a summer fragrance. You can't go wrong with this one.
23rd April, 2015 (last edited: 27th April, 2015)
Virgin Island Water is one of my favorite Creed fragrances to wear for the spring and summer along with Green Irish Tweed and Millesime Imperial. If the weather is warm, there’s a good chance I’ll be throwing this on. Upon application I get notes of citrus, lime, and coconut. Together these notes create a crisp, fresh, and natural opening. Whenever I smell the opening, I think of Pina Colada drinks. Approaching the heart, floral notes of hibiscus, jasmine and ylang ylang combined with notes of musk, ginger, sugar, and rum make their way to the front. At this point the citrus and lime fade into the background while the coconut still remains predominately strong. The coconut note matched against the florals, musk, ginger, sugar, and rum notes create a slightly floralish/boozy/sweet composition that is well balanced. Towards the end the fragrance it dries down to a musky-sugary scent with hints of coconut. VIW is absolutely gorgeous scent from start to finish.

In terms of longevity and silage that will depend on the weather. Under warm weather conditions, I’ll get between 6-8 hours of longevity with moderate to above average silage for the first 4-6 hours before the scent stays closer to the skin. Under cooler conditions, I’ll get significantly less longevity anywhere between 3-5 hours with moderate silage for the first 2-3 hours before it becomes a skin scent. For better results, VIW should be worn during the warmer months of the year. In warm weather, VIW would be a great casual scent for many occasions such as a day at the beach or an outdoor activity during the day. I personally haven’t found that many individuals not liking this scent and most were rather pleased when smelling VIW. VIW isn’t too masculine or feminine therefore both men and women can easily wear it. Overall, VIW is one of a kind and one my favorites from the millesime line and Creed overall. Well done!
15th March, 2015
Lime. Coconut. That's it, nothing else. Lasts for hours and projects like a beast. Immune to nose blindness and it doesn't have a dry down....so you smell coconut and lime for hours and hours.

Nice, tropical and different....but its way too simple to be a classic.
03rd March, 2015
Crisp, juicy, delicious lime and a smooth, carefully calibrated rum comprise some of the most enjoyable top notes I've encountered in any fragrance. It's 15 minutes of perfection, the epitome of a tropical vacation by the beach, sipping a cocktail, and taking in the sun. As the lime recedes, and the rum settles down, a sweet coconut note becomes dominant. It's simple but again, an appealing, honest, and more or less flawless accord. Perhaps it's a little sweeter than a "realistic" coconut note, and more along the lines of coconut ice cream, but it's well done, and doesn't come across tacky or cheap in the least. If you want lime, rum, and coconut, this is where it ends. There's no need to look any further. Another excellent fragrance in that it executes exactly what it set out to do, I can find little fault with Virgin Island Water. The notes are fresh and vibrant, and the smell, though somewhat singular in purpose, is top notch. If the sound of this appeals to you at all, then definitely get your nose on it. Projection is just right (medium in this case) and longevity about 6 hours. Recommended as a blind buy.

Tommy Bahama's Set Sail St. Barts is often suggested as an alternative to Virgin Island Water. While I do like St. Barts, and recommend it as a bargain fragrance with a similar kind of summer vacation vibe, they really don't smell alike, and Virgin Island Water is better overall. In other words, they're not exactly substitutes for each other. However, someone who likes VIW, but doesn't want to spend the extra cash would do well with St. Barts. Just don't expect the same thing.
20th February, 2015
Virgin Island Water opens with a sort of citric-musky accord juxtaposed to creamy-gourmandish notes (ylang) with a tropical vibe (coconut), then sandalwood, ginger and a light floral breeze. Surely reminding of sea overall, but in a thicker, “watery-milky” way rather than predictably “calone-ozonic”. Surprisingly, it’s not bad at all: it is fresh in a rather round, rich and pleasant way, with a really peculiar and nice feel of silky, refreshing and realistic creaminess enhanced by a quite faithful and appealing fruity tropical vibe. A sort of zesty, invigorating “Tiki gourmand” mood, somehow making me think of a tropical ice cream. Still, sadly I also get a persistent and rather annoying astringent citric note which smells exactly like any mosquito repellent, as it happens in many cheap quality citrus scents. The evolution is close to nothing, meaning that as hours pass Virgin becomes just slightly drier and muskier, finally landing on a citric-musky drydown which features just less freshness and less creaminess than the initial stages. In my opinion, citrus-tropical scents are quite a tricky field: it must not be easy to make one that doesn’t end up in smelling either dull and generic or cheap. This quite nails it on the contrary, managing to be fairly distinctive in a way, and with a nice quality of notes, except that mosquito thing. It’s still basically an enhanced version of any sea-citrus-tropical fragrance, but still it’s better than most of them, at least for what I have tried. The “tropical” side especially is particularly nice. Not bad for being a Creed... but still, all considered, surreally overpriced.

6-6,5/10
20th February, 2015
For me, this is my all time favourite scent. One spray of this gorgeous fragrance, makes me feel like i have been transported to the Caribbean, for a day at the beach. Coconut, Lime, Rum, are all instantly recognisable. Its a slightly sweet smell, but not overly so. The scent lasts all day on my skin, which i see is a concern from various other reviewers. If i was rich enough, i would buy the shower gel of this too, and literally slap it on everyday! But i would be bankrupt quite fast! This scent really is worth every single penny. I think a woman could easily get away with wearing this too. Its just a beautiful smell.
31st December, 2014
I like the idea of lime , rum , coconut and the beach , behind this fragrance , but to me its a lil lime and rum at start and dominating coconut "Bounty" like fragrance due to dominating co co nut, its yummy , delicious and a very simple scent which I can wear once in a blue moon just for change of taste, otherwise it sometime strongly reminds me coconut oil.

I would recommend it to women rather, as imo it suits more to them.
13th July, 2014
Genre: Citrus

Nice, but…

Both my wife and I tried Virgin Island Water, and both came to the same conclusion: it’s very pretty, but it smells too much like suntan lotion to spend hundreds of dollars on. Coconut is the villain here. Well-integrated coconut can lend fragrances a certain creamy richness, as in Philosykos, Carnal Flower, or Dawn Spencer Hurwitz’s Bamboo. But when it’s prominent and isolated, as in Virgin Island Water, it quickly gets me thinking “Coppertone.” Maître Parfumeur et Gantier’s Bahiana is another tropical fruit blend that’s spiked with coconut, but I find its coconut in better balance, effectively blended with a rich base of gaiac and rosewood. If you’re looking for a tropical cocktail scent for the summer, I’d recommend Bahiana, Nicolaï’s Juste un Rêve, or even Fresh’s goofy Sugar Lychee over Virgin Island Water.

09th July, 2014
DMA Show all reviews
A Gorgous unisex fragrance which is definitey one of the best from the Creed house, if not the best imo.

I basically get a citrusy lime with hints of coconut. Its quite musky and combined with the rum it gives it some depth and a little warmth, preventing it from going into the childish tropical fruit punch territory. You can pick up on the sugar cane too theres some sweetness, but not sickly sweet.

What it lacks in versatility it makes for in just being... Well, a first class summer fragrance for me and even my mother too. :)

17th May, 2014