Reviews of Virgin Island Water by Creed

Wow. Mistersurgery’s review is pretty bang on, but I thought I’d add my two cents because this is a truly impressive creation.

Part of a recent sample selection I received from a Creed boutique purchase and just... wow.

Okay. The depth in VIW comes from its simplicity. Lime and coconut powerhouse with rum weaving in and out. Eerily reminiscent of late 80s/early 90s tanning lotion (which evokes powerful scent memories of some incredibly beautiful women from my youth). You can kind of just pick out the Ylang Ylang and Jasmine from the coconut in the dry down, but only very faintly... and not to the point you’d care beyond the calming effect.

The lime is eerily natural most of the way through and only noticeably synthetic for a fraction of its projection... everything else is simple, but picture perfect in its execution.

It won’t form a part of my collection unless I become an overnight millionaire. But if I had the ducats to spare, the sheer whimsy of this would convince me to keep a bottle on the shelf. Thumbs up, with the caveat you know what you’re buying and why.
07th November, 2019
Vacation in a bottle! Pretty relaxing and calming. Definitely a summer scent. However i feel like it leans a bit feminine, been told so too sadly. Overall 8/10
01st September, 2019
This scent gets a big thumbs up from me, BUT it comes with a few qualifying remarks.

This is a truly wonderful scent. It really does transport you to a beach on a warm, summer's day, especially if you are old enough to remember when people would slather on Banana Boat Suntan Lotion (this was back when people didn't use sunblock and instead used a lotion to increase the amount of rays that they got), because this smells just like a 1980s sunbather right after they spilled a mojito on themselves.

The initial hit is coconut and lime, which I must say is perfectly balanced. It's difficult to make sure that the creaminess of the coconut and the bright acidity of the lime are in harmony, with neither of the ingredients overshadowing the other, which is often the case with scents like these. There is similarity to Set Sail St. Bart's for Men by Tommy Bahama (2007 - same year this was released, no less), but Set Sail doesn't contain the coconut aspect of VIW, and is more synthetic and complex (though it is a favorite of mine in the warmer months, and I certainly recommend it) in its composition. Set Sail is close enough to VIW to be its stunt double, if you get my drift. User seeroos.syed absolutely nailed this fragrance's doppelganger; Bath and Body Works' Coconut Lime Verbena body spray, or in my case, the car freshener that someone gave me back in the '90s. This is very much the same, but with a more subdued lime and a far less synthetic feel to it. VIW is surprisingly natural and really smells like someone threw suntan lotion and a mojito in a bottle, shook it up, and applied it. And honestly, those are smells that I dig. There are really only three notes in this fragrance that stand out; coconut, lime, and rum. And that's just fine by me, because they are presented in a very natural and very well-balanced way.

The smell is great, the sillage is fair, and longevity is good. This wears very close to the skin on me, so if you're looking for projection, you need to be liberal on the trigger with this. It dries down surprisingly fast, but that's not bad, as the drydown is nicer than the initial spray, in my opinion. Very inoffensive, great for the summer months (or the colder months when you want to daydream, as I'm doing now), and certainly a scent that keeps me sniffing at my wrists every few minutes to drink it in. This is a fragrance that I would wear solely for me, and one that I would wear so that every time I sniff my wrist, I can momentarily transport myself to some island in the Caribbean or the Mediterranean coast. This is not something I would expect compliments on, as this is more an olfactory experience rather than an accoutrement to an outfit. That's why this fragrance is unisex. It's no more male or female than suntan lotion and mojitos are. It doesn't smell masculine or feminine; it smells like the tropics.

Which brings us to the big issue; price. Is this worth $200-400? I would say "yes," with the caveat being that you really, really love the natural smells of coconuts, lime, and rum, and you need to have the best representation of them in a fragrance. For people without that kind of disposable income, you can get a good deal of VIW's effect with a bottle of Set Sail St. Bart's for between 1/10th-1/20th (I'm not being hyperbolic) of the price.

For what Creed set out to do with this fragrance, they knocked it out of the park. It's a very enjoyable niche fragrance, executed well, at a premium price point. Apart from the price and a fairly weak sillage, I really can't knock it. This is one of Creed's best offerings, in my opinion.
26th February, 2019 (last edited: 20th March, 2019)

Thumbs Up for being a good scent, but like some unisex Creeds I cannot wear this. I should have known what my final thoughts on this were going to be the moment I opened the package from Frangrancenet. Inside was a sample for women's perfume - so telling.

VIW is truly a beautiful scent - it's a lot sweet, creamy coconut, some lime, and maybe a little bit of rum.
It's probably one of the simplest colognes I've ever tried. Not complex, just smells natural and well blended - just those three things - coconut, lime, and rum.

Still, the entire time I wore it I kept thinking that this is way more appropriate for a young woman. This smells like something I would expect a girl who is getting over her Bath and Body Works spray habit to jump into when she wants to upgrade her life. If this smell was even slightly synthetic (which is doesn't), I could see it in a pink bottle labeled "For Her." VIW's quality as a Creed makes it pleasurable for anyone to smell at anytime, but that does not hide the fact that this is really a distinctly feminine cologne. I would appreciate it if any woman put this on, but I don't think I can pull it off as a guy.
15th October, 2018
Bring out the steel drums! Bust out the suntan lotion!

This is such a friendly, enjoyable taste of the islands, macerated and mashed so artfully by Creed perfumers and stuck into the non-descript bottle.

How else to encapsulate the Caribbean experience except by including scent notes so tied to all of that? Lime, coconut, ginger, rum, sugar cane....so laid back, so exotic, so memorable! And as is the case with other Creed fragrances, the other notes are there to accent and reinforce the other key ingredients in a balanced way. Virgin Island Water is so meaninfully crafter and presents such a credible formula that evokes beach walks in the islands, full of a panoply of floral, spicy, fruity, and other elements of this lovely way of life?

18th September, 2018
How can you not like Summer in the tropics bottled? An absolute stunner with reaching silage and great performance for a fresh aquatic. Highly recommended if you need something to wear to formal beach occasions, night clubs or just going to the pool/beach.
21st August, 2018
Lime and coconut. Creamy. Nothing majestic here, but nothing bad either. Soothing beachy vibe. Most of the other reviews will give you a good idea of what to expect.

I’ll give you the honest scoop on longevity as everyone dumps on creed longevity.

I got what I consider a full day out of it, solid 8 hrs.
I’d say I was projecting for 5-6 of those, but that’s always hard to tell.

Overall performance. 8.5/10 with Aventus being a 10 for scale.

Ultimately I would have liked the scent to have one other dimension. I guess you could say sugary would be another dimension but I sort of automatically lump that aspect in with the coconut.

Also, I’m not exactly a big cocunut fan, but this one isn’t offensive, even for someone normally put off by all things coconut.

It’s a quality pick if you want a Caribbean/ lime/coconut scent.

In the end, I’ll take my Millésime Imperial or Aventus.
10th May, 2018
Creed as a fragrance house isn't very impressive to me since many of their fragrances have just as good or sometimes even better clones, for example Aventus and its clone Armaf Club de Nuit Intense Man. And some Creeds are just uninspiring and smell kind of boring to my nose like Millesime Imperial and Erolfa. Others just have really great alternatives at a way cheaper price like Mugler Cologne is to Creed's Original Vetiver or Montblanc Individuel is to Creed's Original Santal. However Virgin Island Water stands apart from the crowd in that it is a Creed fragrance perhaps worth owning. I own and love Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts but it is totally different from Virgin Island Water as the former has tequila and lime and an agave, palm leaf, and guava juice drydown which eventually becomes vanilla and white musk. Virgin Island Water however starts off with coconut and lime and dries down into white rum, cane sugar, and coconut. The lime and coconut in this I might add are both extremely superb and the greatest iterations of lime and coconut I've ever smelled in any fragrance - and I'm a huge lime affectionado, having tried and owned many lime colognes. There is really nothing else like it on the market except perhaps Bath and Body Works' Coconut Lime Breeze or Coconut Lime Verbana. But both of them have horrible longevity and sillage while the Creed is a beast, which is part of its charm. Also it's totally unisex. It really smells like a pina colada on your body. Overall I think this is the greatest fragrance ever made by Creed (followed by Original Vetiver).

09th May, 2018
Malibu rum with some lime added while the florals throw it into unisex territory for this guy. Drydown leaves the lime behind still smells great and will probably get compliments.

I get really good performance. Projects nicely and doesn't fade away after a few hours, keeps going all day.
14th April, 2018
rbaker Show all reviews
The opening with its bergamot, citrus, and the signature coconut set the tone of tropical freshness; and the gradually developing rum-infused booziness firms the hints towards the Caribbean theme.

Further into the drydown, a floral theme is added into the mix, with ylang-ylang most
prominent on my skin, although jasmine and a good measure of ginger are present in the background.

The base adds a touch of sugar cane, but through the whole longitudinal development it is the rum and the coconut that constitute the core components on my skin, with the coconut at times rather heavy and creamy at some stage.

I get moderate sillage, excellent projection and a very acceptable longevity of eight hours on my skin.

A rich tropical creation that puts Caribbean inspirations into the bottle. At times some notes are pushed a bit too much to the periphery, but overall the concept works well. 3.5/5.
21st February, 2018
Uplifts my mood!! Really reminds me of holidaying abroad. The only thing that you could knock it for is that it does have a limited use. I mean, I couldn't really see myself rocking this in the middle of winter.

Anyway....VIW is dominated by 2 main notes. Coconut and lime. There is a fine alcoholic note somewhere. Maybe rum?? The longevity is super impressive and the sillage & projection and both around average.

VIW is an extremely natural smelling fragrance. If you were to close your eyes you could easily be fooled into thinking that you were actually smelling chopped limes and coconut milk.

A great creation by Creed and one that I cherish.

07th February, 2018 (last edited: 07th September, 2019)
lex Show all reviews
do virgin island water have that carefree summer vacation atmosphere ?? yes!!! that rum, lime, and coconut vibe radiating off the skin..only downside is that it doesn't last that long, around 4 hrs max..its worth purchasing a atomizer for this frag...will i buy another 100ml bottle when mine runs out ??? hell yea! as of today, virgin island water will be in my starting lineup in warm weather.
05th February, 2018
I get a lot of lime, almost an eau de Cologne opening, then a bit of coconut. Projection and longevity are way too short. I can't give it a positive rating.
04th August, 2017

An amazing wonderful, tropical coconut with lime and rum frag. Very fresh very tropical and cheers me up. I love this stuff, excellent sillage and projection. I get amazing longevity with this but with creed, it is all about the batches baby. 8/10
26th July, 2017
Frequently imitated, but never duplicated- VIW has this silky smooth quality to it that is unmatched anywhere else in my opinion. The standout notes to me are the coconut, lime and rum- blended to perfection. As far as I'm concerned, this fragrance is genderless, but to some it could definitely come across as fem, so steer clear if you're not into that kind of thing. To me it's light and soapy in the best possible way, and poses absolutely no risk of 'offending' anyone ever, even if heavily applied.

This one works for any type of casual setting; board shorts, t-shirt, jeans etc. probably not so much in formal suit and tie situations. I'll even wear this to work sometimes (hospital setting) and get nothing but compliments from patients and colleagues alike. It gives me a sense of peace and calm anywhere I happen to be.

I love it, two thumbs way up- I'll be keeping this one in my rotation for many years to come.
23rd July, 2017 (last edited: 24th July, 2017)
N0tlee Show all reviews
Don't get me wrong the scent itself is an amazing coconut island fragrance. However it only lasted a little under to hours. I don't plan on making a purchase or even having a decant.

17th July, 2017
Dream beyond the yacht
Ballrooms, gowns, raised glasses and
Crystal chandeliers.
08th July, 2017
A marginal thumbs up for this beach and lime-juice cocktail fragrance. If there were more competition for beach and lime-juice cocktail fragrances, it could be downgraded to a neutral, but there just aren't, in my experience.

This fragrance had complex development during my sampling, with a distinct opening of citrus, mostly lime, a mid of coconut-flavored sunscreen, and a base of pretty decent musky fixatives.

A couple others to try: for more on the refreshing cocktail theme: Frederic Malle Angeliques Sous La Pluie; for more on the sunscreen theme: MiN New York Long Board.
21st June, 2017
Stardate 20170609:

Take SMW and add some coconut water. Not bad but again if you like this kind of fragrances options are limitless at better price point.
09th June, 2017
Zowiee Show all reviews
This is a fantastic summer scent in warm climates. The notes all blend well and the dry down is "my favorite beach" in a fragrance! Last a long time on my skin!
27th May, 2017
Mouth-watering lime and creamy coconut - what's not to love? Yes, it's insanely overpriced, but a 10ml decant lasts me all summer. It's a fun, tropical fragrance and women seem to love it!
16th May, 2017
I approached, tried, tested, and wore Virgin Island Water in two different phases - once in 2015 summer, and once in 2017. In 2015 I had approached it with high expectations. In 2017 I did so with average expectations. The fragrance was underwhelming in 2015, and more so in 2017.

The structure was clear each time around. A beautiful and natural lime opening with just a hint of booziness, that lasts all of 5 minutes, before giving way to a musky coconut dry down. There's no citrus, no florals, no woods, no spices, no booziness - just coconut and musk. Granted, the accord is still occasionally pretty, but it's neither innovative nor compelling. Additionally, it is extremely muted on skin beyond the first 30 minutes or so, and has a disappointing duration of a few hours - that, too, from a very generous application.

Granted, I only tried this in hot weather. However, that's supposedly the season for this coconut-lime fantasy. When the temperature is any lower, why would I even consider this frivolous persuasion - ahead of thousands of more worthwhile offerings including Creed's own Bois du Portugal and Green Irish Tweed?

19th April, 2017
Memories: Six-star resort on a tropical island. King of the world.

Who should wear this: Richard Branson. Daniel Craig. Me.

Bottom line: Magic. Playful. Bold. One of my new top five.
04th March, 2017
I would imaging those luxury super yacht's smell of this throughout ..coconut and lime are the notes that I can detect mainly and they are of the highest quality and supported by white rum, the overall feel is like taking a 5* Caribbean holiday without actually having to leave the house. This could also be a great treatment for mild depression. Totally unisex but would be more interesting on a gentleman with a zest for life. I think I actually sniffed the tester card dry (it's mid winter here in northern england).
02nd March, 2017
A luxurious tropical treat for the senses! Close your eyes and inhale, as you are transported to your favorite Caribbean hideaway. Rich blend of refreshing lime, coconut, rum over a soft bed of sweet musk. Lovely yet very fleeting. Like a dream vacation, it's over all too soon....
08th February, 2017
You are laying on the beach somewhere in the caribbean. As you lay there with your eyes closed, soaking up the sun, someone nearby is lathering themselves up with suntan lotion. Jimmy Buffet is singing "It's five o'clock somewhere" over the speaker system of a nearby resort. You can hear the ocean's waves crashing to shore. Laying in the sand next to you are two half empty cups of a resorts watered down pinacolada drink. The air is humid and thick. There is a slight salty ocean breeze which is helping the humid air seem manageable. Creed's Virgin Island Water is this experience in a bottle!

Remember as a child how you would open up the suntan bottle in the middle of winter and sniff that coconut smell (well at least I did) and be instantly transported to a warmer place, well now there's VIW to spray on and sniff throughout the day and imagine oneself somewhere far far away from the office. It's funny as VIW is truly a summer scent but it's in the winter when one wants to wear it the most and dream of the summer and the beach.

The main scents at play here seem to be coconut and lime. VIW lasts a bit longer than most Creed scents and three or four sprays at the beginning of the day (assuming you are spraying from a legit Creed bottle) and you should be good to go. This fragrance leans a bit to the feminine side of "unisex" though this certainly doesn't stop me from wearing it. It also layers great with some of Creed's other fragrances from the Millesime line such as Aventus or Royal Oud.

Overall I give this scent a solid eight out of ten. What it lacks in refinement it more then makes up for in the pure delight it brings when you close your eyes, breath it in, and imagine yourself in the scene described above.
25th November, 2016
Such an evocative scent.
Beautifully blended in a way that doesnt create a mess. You pick up the lime, transition to cocunut rum and then the rest of the dry dowwn is a day dream.
If only this could last longer so i could get wafts of paradise in my nostrils all day.
Overall 8/10
Longevity 4/10
20th November, 2016
Tropical paradise...opens with some lime and coconut...sweet boozy coconut pretty much for the
life of this...nice for sitting around on a summer
evening on the patio and having a mini staycation...
16th September, 2016
virgin island water is just a masterpiece!

every time i smell this fragrance it reminds me of just being at the beach with a drink in my hand and just watching the waves splashing. starts off with this nice citrus opening which only lasts for a few minutes then you get this blast of lovely coconut and some light sweet rum and its just a nice coconut smell all thought the dry down. not good on compliments but this one is just good for personal pleasure.

smell 10/10
uniqueness 10/10
projection 6/10
longevity 7/10
compliments 4/10
06th May, 2016 (last edited: 10th May, 2016)
Lime, Rum & Coconut...

This is one I liked instantly. A lovely fragrance which transitions between all the stages, going from tropical and fresh to gourmand and woody. I cannot fault it for smell. Just a wonderful experience on skin.

Virgin Island Water is my second fragrance from the house of Creed. I must say I am not disappointed. I get fresh lime and a very authentic rum note (imagine any kind of rum you like, this fragrance is true to the note). That sweet, sugary, boozy smell mixed with the fresh lime, which then transitions into a beautifully juicy coconut heart, before going into a creamy coconut base.

All in all, a great experience! I believe fragrances should make us happy, and this one succeeds. Ultimately, I think it's a fragrance which should be tried on skin throughout the day, to get the full impression. For me it's a great smell and a good overall fragrance. The smell of great memories in faraway places full of happiness and sunshine. I'm impressed!
29th March, 2016