Positive Reviews of Blue Sugar by Aquolina

Find out more about Blue Sugar by Aquolina in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

MrMookie's avatar

Diabetes in a bottle

The Good :

This is the closest thing to Gourmand you can get! It is Gourmand with the capital G, this scent totally smells like a vivid candy dream.
    Its very natural smelling in a way that everyone in my area asked me if i burned some marshmellows or ate some cotton candy when i sprayed a spritzzz on my wrist.

Its grabs your attention because the sweetness covers all air in a 20 foot radius.
    Details :
    Opens as 50% liquorice 40% cottoncandy 10% Anise
    Then evolves to 99% cotton candy caramel sweetness.

The Bad :

Drydown is the only bad part after a few hours this scent get cloying in the drydown it loses its structure and gets annoying.

Too bad otherwise i would rate it

Thumbs up for the scent till drydown.

Pros: Eatable fragrance and delicious for women
    Cons: Bad drydown, breaks in pieces"

26 August, 2013

Sly2scents's avatar

The name says it all. If your not a gourmand lover this might be outside of your scope. For me the longevity and projection sucks but on close encounters it works wonders.

15 April, 2013

Shon T's avatar

Blue sugar is exactly what it says, "sugar." it smells really good. It is cotton candy at the carnival or fair. It is very mild and sits real close to my skin. I think it is for a younger crowd like teenage and high school. It doesn't change much at all. It's just sugar candy and that's it. If you are looking to smell sophisticated this is not for you. I wish it were stronger but it works for me.

23 September, 2012

RobbieX's avatar

Looks like a love or hate one this doesn't it? I think it's a long lasting vanilla gourmand with a cotton candy start and an "Amen like" drydown. Because of the vanilla, the sillage and longevity are very good. I like it.

11th March, 2012 (Last Edited: 08 October, 2012)

inlandemperor's avatar

Youthful, sweet caramelised scent, that is pretty linear, but carries on lingering for quite awhile. The mandarin is GORGEOUS in the top notes - it really smells to me like you just opened a tangerine up, and the skin is emitting that fresh orange scent - but then POW - the brown sugar mixed with a caramel - A * MEN type sweetness takes over and carries on talking for about an hour. The middle is a more muted vanilla play on the above, and if you like sweet, if you like Rochas Man, A*Men, Joop Homme - the sweet cloy of those frags - you'll like this - a total and utter steal at the price you can get it!

13 January, 2012

bFlay's avatar

(updated review 12/17/11) FIRST POINT OF CONSIDERATION: I have found that Patchouli by Molinard tones down the sweetness of Blue Sugar, perhaps by picking up the patchouli note already in Blue Sugar. This is an exceptionally unique fragrance that I received as a sample and purchased a day later. Bold anise/licorice scent at top that mellows to a sweeter spicy note than that of other Men's fragrances. I found it intriguing and different from the warmer "woodsy, spicy, tobacco-ey" fragrances I normally gravitate toward. It is both a distinct contrast and complement to other scents I own and I believe Blue Sugar would appeal to those who like warm fragrances but want a lighter interesting scent for daytime. I do find that this has a short longevity, notably breaks down after 4 hours and virtually gone in 6-7 hours. That could be fine if one wears it through the day and likes a bolder scent for night.

28 October, 2011 (Last Edited: 03 January, 2012)

leogeee's avatar

"Nothin says lovin like somethin from the oven", according to the Pillsbury Dough Boy. Well, this scent is unique, which is good. I get many compliments. Carmelised sugar is the top note, for sure. Nice to have on hand.

30th August, 2011

Mario-K's avatar

Poland Poland

It was blind buy. What I've found? This is Rochas Man, but much cheaper. I don't see any differences exept the bottles.
    Blue Sugar lasts more than 12 hours on my skin Sillage - great. .Both thumbs up!

12 January, 2011

Johnny5's avatar

After extensive use, the common theme for me is lack of longevity (about 4 hours on me) and projection. The lack of projection is not a big deal really, because I don't want to walk around smelling like a candy store to everyone in a 10 foot radius anyway. As for the longevity, it goes from the top notes to the noticable overtaking of the basenotes in about 2 hours. Then, about 2 hours later I really have to wonder if I used it that day or not. There is usually lingering hints of tastiness on my clothes the next morning, but it's faint. The Mandarin, Patchouli, and Lavender usually don't even show up for me, it's generally a long but quick shift from top notes to base notes. But the short time I have with the base notes are better than the initial application IMO, a very delightful experience.
    Don't misunderstand, I LOVE this fragrance simply because it's unique and smells wonderful, and I have gotten some good comments about it. I just would like it more if it lasted a few hours longer. However for the price, it's well worth it. If you like SWEET, I don't see how you won't enjoy this one.

25 December, 2010

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Make no mistake about it, this perfume is all Cotton Candy, meaning Caramelized sugar and Vanilla, but is a NATURAL sugar and vanilla, not the synthetic, artificial and obnoxious burnt sugar and vanilla of A*Men.
    Those two notes strongly dominate the whole spectrum, I could not detect any citrics(neither bergamot nor mandarin orange) in the opening, but the strong coriander (cilantro) counterbalances very nicely the sweetnes of the dominant opening notes. At the heart, the caramelised sugar turns a bit into strawberry jam while licorice makes a strong entrance, and again, it is a NATURAL licorice, not the artificial licorice of many other fragrances, the patchouli stays in the background and it is very nice, in my opinion, the best patchouli ever.
    The drydown is lovely, powdery, but timidly so, the cedar makes it very masculine , but the vanilla and caramelized sugar hover over it in a very pleasant fashion and star anise replaces the licorice.
    The most important thing of them all, my wife LOVES it, she goes crazy when I wear it, and that makes up for any defect that I did not find.
    It is innovative, different, audacious, bold, and I LOVE IT
    And it costs almost nothing!!!!!!

01st December, 2010 (Last Edited: 14 March, 2011)

krgrant's avatar

Bought this blind without smelling it first, solely based on user reviews. I was not disappointed! Yes - it is very sweet but who says masculinity cannot be sweet? After I put on my first spray my wife walked through the house and almost bit me! The basenotes in Blue Sugar come out after 1-2 hours which is an incredibly long time. Therefore, you may not like this stuff if you make up your mind about it before the basenotes kick in. It is youthful, playful, and definitely different. At the same time, it has a sophisticated side. If you like Rochas Man or Angel Men you will like this too - just give it some time!

15 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 23 June, 2010)

bamboowu's avatar

Blue Sugar by Aquolina is a wonderful surprise for me. It totally was not what I thought it would be. Though this is marketed more for men, I think a woman would love this one, I most certainly do.

On me it is wonderful, quite like it's sister, Pink Sugar, but with this wonderful depth.

It is just so well done, I detect the citrusy notes, bergamot, patchouli, lavender, licorice, a caramelized sugar and vanilla. I am a lover of sweet fragrances, and patchouli, and here the combination is really wonderful. I just LOVE this one. Really well done in my opinion.

Sillage is average on me, but the lasting power is my only objection, it doen't last on me as long as I would like. That said, it sure doesn't stop me from loving it as much as I do. I love Pink Sugar but I love this one much more. It is a wonderful sugary vanilla, with licorice and anise notes. So delicious smelling, for those of us who really enjoy sweet scents, this is wonderful. Definitely yummy!

Personally I would love to see this one in an intense version some day to make it longer lasting. I am very happy with my purchase, and definately will buy it again.

Most certainly a keeper!

14 April, 2010

HOTRODS BY JP's avatar

I say keep this one, very sweet very nice , and then again when useing this blue sugar be smart not to much, if to much later yes it can be to much for the nose, so keep in mind when you ware this one going out ,also great for working with people close to you, great for those casuale days.

23 July, 2009 (Last Edited: 02 August, 2009)

Heawns's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Sweet, sweet, sweet.

Comparing this to Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin (both sharing a lot of qualities), this one is more easy going, more casual (not as owerpowering on the licorise/anise - vanilla), letting you easier smell all the notes, of this, in my humble opinion, beautiful fragrance.

06 June, 2009

bluefx's avatar

One of my faves. This is the most sweetest fragrance i'ved ever smelled. Obviously this perfume is not for everyone, nor is it intended for everyone. If you truly like gourmand perfumes you'll definitely love this one. Caramelised sugar and vanilla are the prominent notes here although you'll get to smell anise, patchouli and licorice once it starts to dry down. It reminds me quite a bit of Angel men although Blue Sugar delivers the smell of a cake along with caramelised sugar while A*Men delivers you a strong synthetic smell of burnt sugar.

07 March, 2009

anglecynn's avatar

I have Pink Sugar and enjoy it, but was looking for something a bit more complex. I tried all of the Lolita Lempickas, but found they all had too much going on for my taste. The sugar and vanilla balance the licorice and anise nicely, making this smell natural with just the slightest "bite." Definitely a yummy fragrance. I got pure sugar and vanilla for the first 2 minutes, then the licorice, followed by patchouli, mixed in for a few hours, then melded into the cedar/anise/vanilla. Starts out fairly simple, but becomes more complex, which I like. Many fragrances turn too sweet on me, but this managed to remain balanced throughout.the six or seven hours it lasted.

31st December, 2008

Ruqayya33's avatar

This scent reminds me of root beer or cream soda - in a good way. First, I can definitely smell the licorice, patchouli, vanilla and sugar. During dry-down, the licorice and patchouli slowly fade and the anise, sugar and vanilla are more prominent. After about 2 hours, I can only slightly smell the licorice and patchouli, while the sugar, anise and vanilla melt into a light creamy sweetness. This is definitely better than the woman's version - Pink Sugar. (PS is waaaaaay too sickly-sweet for me and might be better suited for a teenage girl.) I'm not sure I would like Blue Sugar on a man, but it's lovely on me. ;)

05 December, 2008

iriebangarang's avatar

I must admit, the sweetness is terribly overpowering at first. But after about a half hour, the top notes begin to fade away. The actual base notes, especially the cedar (which smells a lot like a burnt cedar?), come out for me, after around 1 1/2 to 2 hours, then lasts the rest of the day with only hints of the sweetness. For this reason alone, I give a thumbs up, as the cedar scent with a little sweetness is excellent, even though the top notes can be almost nauseating.

14 November, 2008

NebraskaLovesScent's avatar

I love this on my husband, and I sometimes wear it to remind myself of him. I would consider it unisex. It is definitely not for everyone. People who already enjoy gourmand scents will probably love it, but fans of "traditional" masculine scents will probably hate it.

I can't get enough of anise/licorice notes right now and I'm a sucker for tonka bean, too, so this one fits the bill. Mmmmmm. Very sexy and very unusual. I like it better than the Pink Sugar for ladies. The candy notes are much less pronounced in this one.

This scent has great persistance and incredible sillage. Just one squirt is enough and may even be too much if you work in close contact with people.

14 September, 2008

gutobega's avatar

This is so delicious!!!
    This fragrance opening sweet and stay sweet during all the time.
    The scent life in my skin is more than 12h.

20th June, 2008

paul wall's avatar

smells like something elvis would wear along with his blue suede shoes!!!!!

20th December, 2007

82cutty's avatar

Wow...I just recieved this and must say that I actually like it . It just smells great and is different . A nice winter scent . I have worn it twice and have had people say nothing but good things . Go light on the sprays this stuff lasts forever . I can still smell it on me the next morning .

06 December, 2007

Well, it’s not almost pure cotton candy like the women’s counterpart, Pink Sugar. This one does have some mitigating spice and green notes to give its sweetness a little more of a masculine appeal. When I tested Pink Sugar, I expected to find it terrible…it isn’t, it’s very enjoyable. I also expected to find Blue Sugar terrible..again, it isn’t, Blue Sugar, too, is an enjoyable fragrance. Oh, it has a lot of sugar, all right, but somehow the sweetness is ameliorated enough to make it a fun fragrance. The sweetness is presented in an accord with patchouli and lavender and anise, and the accord features a rather strong licorice note that adds a darker, drier, element to the mix. Somehow, all these things together create a nice balance with all the sweetness. This is certainly not a scent for me…I’m way too old for it, but it could be an excellent scent for a young man who wants a well-done sweet sweet sweet fragrance.

23 October, 2007

bsmith001's avatar

First of all, I do like to think of myself as very masculine, but in a modern sense, however. My style is very classic with a hint of trendiness. I'm a 28 year old banker, married, and my first child on the way. This is a very risky frag. I do admit, but if you have confidence enough to wear this, I think you're fine. The thing that appeals to me, although it's not the typical manly scent by no means, is just that...it's different. And it smells simply wonderful. I would suggest for a man not to wear too much, but I think it's a nice and subtle change from what you'd otherwise expect. My wife loves it. It's simple and cheap. I have used many Creed's in the past, and while they look like trophies on our dresser, I may keep this one in the drawer. If you want something different and don't want to pay a ton, get this stuff. It smells so good.

07 May, 2007

thisbekevinn's avatar

THis one is very sweet, it starts off strong with the sugar. It really overpowers the Bergamont and Mandrin. A cute kind of man/boy can pull this one off but everyone else should just back away. If you really just want a sweet scent in your wardrobe then go for it, it's only $35 for a 1.7oz at Nordstroms!! A deffinite try before you buy! It has little sillage and the longness is about 2 hours on me.

22 March, 2007

ck__'s avatar

I think it smells pretty unique. The most dominant smell to me is the black licorish. The longevity isn't great though in my opinion.

09 March, 2007

iMaverick's avatar

Ah, yes!...amazing scent here, as if A*Men decided to be unabashedly gourmand, and without a tar note in sight! Starts off with a scorched sugar note emphasized by patchouli, then evolves to a white sugar and finally settling to a more caramelized desert. Zero Calories...No Dentist trips...All the goodness!

Longevity may not be that of A*Men, but I got a good 6 hours with it.

19 February, 2007

frostiblack's avatar

Lovely scent, carmelised sugar gives way to a soft vanilla. Not too long-lasting for me, but so worth it.

03 January, 2007