Negative Reviews of Bel Respiro by Chanel

Find out more about Bel Respiro by Chanel in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Infini's avatar

Wales Wales

Along with Coromandel this is the worst of the Exclusifs: Coromandel is an extremely sickly and sweet gourmand scent; Bel Respiro is an equally sickly green one. Aggressive, brash and far too green, it certainly doesn't smell like an expensive fragrance. There are very few Polge perfumes that I like; but whereas I would say fragrances like Allure simply aren't my type, Bel Respiro and Coromandel are really nasty. For a far more pleasant green Chanel, try No18 (in my opinion, Polge at his best), or trusty old (but far from dated) No19.

27 July, 2014

cheryl's avatar

For the first few seconds I think, "oh pretty!" I do smell aromatic and green notes in an intriguing composition. Within a minute I think, "uh oh" and "common" an "soap-on-a-rope for men." Then it levels out to just green soap and makes me sneeze. If I concentrate I can almost pick out an effort at the hyacinth. However, this seems like one of those "clean" fragrances for people who don't like perfume. A big disappointment for me -- seriously? this is a Chanel perfume for women???

11th May, 2010

Jean Patou Fan's avatar

One of the disasterous Exclusifs. Too green and very sickly. Meonbn has summed it up perfectly in her review. Nasty, cheap and too green; I can't really say any more about it.

08 April, 2010

mnaonbn's avatar

I don't get it--according to Chanel's description and people's reviews here and elsewhere, this is supposed to be a green floral that "evokes the feeling of standing in a fresh green field with a clear blue sky" (Chanel.com, 2009). I don't get ANYTHING like that--no florals, nothing green, no blue sky; I ONLY get a PUNCH to the throat with MUSK. This is a vulgar fragrance that, needless to say, fell profoundly below my expectations of Chanel, it's Les Exclusifs collection, and the name Bel Respiro--it should be renamed "Mal Respiro" (bad breath).

25 December, 2009