Reviews

Neutral Reviews of Bel Respiro by Chanel

The opening with its green notes gives way to a more floral drydown and a fresh leathery accord. Quite restrained, it never develops into anything more than average on my skin. Adequate sillage and projection with four hours of longevity. 2.5/5
31st December, 2014
Bel respiro opens with quite a classic accord of flowers, green notes and aldehydes on a slight powdery/vanilla base, quite "glamour" and elegant, accurately rounded and cleared from all ambiguities – no sensuality, no earthiness, no "natural" nuances, just the perfect, sharp, clean, anonymous elegant scent for the (anonymous) "modern woman" which chooses her new signature scent every year by browsing fashion magazines. It then evolves on a softer orris-carnation accord with a slight leather base which is barely noticeable (it emerges better on the drydown, but don't expect anything amazing). A nice scent overall, an inoffensive, refined, wearable feminine crowdpleaser.

6,5/10
23rd May, 2014
Bel Respiro is by soon a concert of musky freshness, floral nuances and sharp botanical sophistication. The first touch on the skin conjures me immediately (in a brighter and more complex way) a nice disappeared and diaphanous pearl of the past, namely the missed Mila Schon Uomo Original. The tea presence provides an aqueous and fluidy consistency and a "chamomille/mimosa" type of undertone. Yes, I detect the N. 19's general green/musky "ambience" but while 19 is sinister, mossier, shadowy and "muffled" Bel Respiro appears on skin for long sparkling, breezy and joyful (and more urban, balmy and "treated" in the final outcome). The floral patterns are intense and "lily/jasmine like" in final feel (the hyacinth is absolutely dominant in my opinion). The dry down is smoother due to a balsams faint soothing operation while the angular sharpness slightly recedes (but not the floral intensity). A leathery vein appears at distance providing a precious suede undertone for the smoother floral muskiness. The overall effect is still sensual, fresh, with an elegant/classy vegetal variegated subtleness but also a plain smooth suede final tail. In this phase I detect some conjurations about Allure but in a more "clever" and balanced way. The final touch of leather is the distinguished element of an otherwise (for long) pleasant but un-original olfactory performance. A good fragrance though never groundbreaking or properly innovative.
07th April, 2014 (last edited: 27th May, 2014)
While all the Chanel Les Exclusifs fragrances are outstanding in their own unique way, I find Bel Respiro to be the least memorable.

Perhaps it is the fact that green scents don't usually appeal to me, with Chanel No.19 being a scent that I truly despised and wished to forget. Bel Respiro although similar in style to No.19 is much nicer, more complex and a touch more floral.

While crisp, dewy and green, Bel Respiro reminds me of the smell of a fernery after a heavy downpour of rain. It has a delightful sense of watery greeness and subtle herbs.

There are some floral nuances throughout the composition that are more like wilted, soggy blooms rather than the bright, lively, overtly scented ones.

The leather features quite prominently during the heart and towards the drydown, however I don't find this note as nauseating as the leather clashing with the green notes in Chanel No.19.

Bel Respiro is the essence of Spring in a bottle, evoking the sense of a pretty sun-shower. Despite being marketed towards women, I find this fragrance equally wearable for men. The powdery aspect in the drydown is the only thing about Bel Respiro that I'd call feminine.

It's a fairly polite scent, in other words not as bold and daring as let's say Coromandel, No.22 and 31 Rue Cambon. However, with that being said, I find it to be a nice additive to the green floral category, one that I can tolerate and enjoy.
24th March, 2012
This starts with some lovely herbal notes (basil, thyme, perhaps anise). They are green, light and inviting. A few floral notes appear, but they are not too sweet. They suggest spring bulbs like daffodil and iris. The green notes persist and are translucent and lightand herbal. In fact, the dry-down gets more herbal, adding celery-leaf and other leafy notes. I find the scent very nice up to this point. Then it softens and gets a bit sweet and rich. It has a fleshy-leather note that doesn’t quite suit me.
07th December, 2010
Opens up very very green - a get something alittle 'green - synthetic - plastic' too, at the start. Still a beauty ..... I get a little powder- nothing major - it's an interesting scent and reminds somewhat of Ormonde Woman. Ormonde Woman is better ! A cold and fresh scent- perfectly unisex. Not my favorite but wearable.
14th June, 2010
Notes are rumored to include crushed leaves, rosemary, thyme, rose, lilac, hyacinth, green tea, aromatic grasses, myrrh and leather. Hmmmm...smelling this reminds me of the brilliantine pomade that my uncles used to wear called Three Flowers, hence making me think of how masculine this scent is with a little of the 50s and 60s bad boy thrown in like Fellini's La Dolce Vita. Not the best of the 6, unfortunately.
19th March, 2007