Reviews of Coromandel by Chanel

Honestly, Coromandel and I just don't get along. On its best days, it's an old fashioned amber with a hint of that weird Knize Ten gasoline note, along with some mossy greens that fuse with the gasoline to smell kind of sour and sickly in the background of the pretty amber. On its worst days, it's just an explosion of dirty tonka mixed with gasoline, with a hint of bile in the background.

Frankly, after years of trying, I've given up trying to love Coromandel. I understand in theory that this is a great perfume, but I just don't like the way it smells on me. Don't get me wrong, it's always pleasant, but with gross undertones, like a room that's been cleaned and scented, but in which someone has been sick. And with so many fantastic ambers and mossy "oriental" scents out there that I like better, I guess this just means there's more Coromandel for everyone else...
13th May, 2016
Hell's bells and little fishes....what a magnificent scent is this little (could only afford the 75ml) gem. I only wish that I had more thumbs that I could point upwards to recommend this. Wearing this is like bathing in a luxurious mist of lacquered gold, frankincense, patchouli and amber. When I wear this, I have a definite sense of an olfactory halo illuminating the way, establishing my 'Chanel' aura. This is what number 5 should have been. Don't tell me that this is a feminine scent - halos work well on men too!
24th March, 2016
With the exception of Cuir de Russie, longevity of the Chanel Les Exclusifs line is disappointing for me - my skin seems to gobble it up. But WOW, is Coromandel the exception! I had decided not to purchase it, in view of this performance issue, but it was still on my wishlist and my dear husband bought me a bottle for my birthday. I am thrilled! As others have noted in reviews and posts, Coromandel doesn't even wash off in the shower - it goes on and on and on, developing its patchouli-and-incense, vanillic richness, curling around one like a column of smoke. I do get the gourmand white chocolate note that others have noted, but the overall balance of notes in this beauty prevents it from being cloying. Coromandel is voluptuous, commanding, fully realized and simply stunning.
03rd March, 2016

Although I occasionally wore "colognes" in the past, it is only recently that I really became interested in fragrances. This was one of the first I tried. More experienced fragheads and perfumistas have described the scent far better than I could, but I will say this: for the first time in my life, I was so overcome by the sheer, sublime beauty of a "mere" smell that my eyes literally welled up with tears. It probably sounds crazy, but I can honestly say that it was one of the most emotionally moving experiences I've had in a long time. And it made me want to invest a lot more time and effort investigating this world of olfactory art. Too bad that, on me, Coromandel is a bit too feminine (at least until the dry-down), but I love it on my wife.

P.S., I think the name "Coromandel" itself simply sounds beautifully mellifluous, a perfect match for the fragrance.
26th February, 2016 (last edited: 02nd March, 2016)
This big 200ml Coromandel bottle stands, no towers beside my 30ml draw of Dior Ambre Nuit. My girl likes to wear both interchangable, as do I. My view says the Dior is leaning Masculine and the Coromandel Feminine. Both are Unisex, are equally luxurious,plush and will be classics.
Astaire's body dances, partner to the music.
Streisand's voice dances, partner to the music.
04th February, 2016 (last edited: 22nd March, 2016)
An impressive and luxurious sweet oriental, Coromandel is another major accomplishment in Chanel’s outstanding Les Exclusifs series. The outcome of patchouli, white chocolate, vanilla, and balsamic resins elegantly arranged on a highly complex floral background with a bit of smoke and woods, Coromandel is warm, opulent, and very fulfilling.
While it is undeniably a wonderful and captivating fragrance, it is also an example of pure exoticism and confused references: the sheer complexity and sensuousness accentuate a stereotypical fantasy of far-away fragrant places. For one thing, it escapes me what patchouli and white chocolate have so intimately to do with the colonial name for the South-Eastern coast of India (something centering on sandalwood or vetiver instead might perhaps have been less idiosyncratic). The Chanel ad copy does very little to clear the confusion, mysteriously expounding the fragrance to be in fact a “homage to the exquisite Chinese lacquer screens” that used to make Coco Chanel “almost faint with happiness.” China? Patchouli and chocolate?!
So a Chinese-inspired India-named perfume masterfully combining warm and spicy ingredients from across the (postcolonial) world manages, quite illustratively, to reproduce and sublimate classic European notions of an exotic hedonistic Orient, all “spirited,” “voluptuous,” indeed prone to elicit joyful fits of unconsciousness, but with no clear geographical fixity, let alone sense and reason. Coromandel is somewhere else, out there, far away, in certain voluptuous parts existing mainly in romantic corners of the European mind. Coromandel is an eminent example of quirky-confused European chinoiserie, anno 2007 - and a wonderful fragrance.
26th December, 2015 (last edited: 27th December, 2015)
After finally smelling a bunch of Les Exclusifs de Chanel at a boutique, I was happy to try a sample of Coromandel on my skin to determine if it was as feminine as the company seems to imply or if it could work for me as it seems to work for other men, and I'm glad that Coromandel falls into the latter category.

While it does involve some of the cosmetic smell that I find more prohibitive in DHI and Egoiste, Coromandel balances effectively the femininity between the oriental and gourmand. In other respects, though, Coromandel does not remind me of DHI or Egoiste---it's prettier and less heavy-handed in terms of its sweetness and floral components. The opening involves some citrus but the fragrance doesn't lean citrus in its identity. The heart involves rose, jasmine, and patchouli but doesn't become overwhelmingly floral, earthy, or herby. The dry down is pleasantly sweet but not cloyingly so. Vanilla is the main contributing base note, along with woody accords.

Powerful in terms of both projection and longevity (especially for an EDT, as I originally thought the Exclusifs line was EDP), the cost ($160 for 75ml, $280 for 200ml) is justified based on the strength and unique character of this, as I've not smelled anything quite like. I admit that after smelling this out of the bottle, I suspected I would like it, but I'm surprised how I liked it, that it could be unisex in its own way and still appealing to me.

All should try this and see if it appeals--even if it's not a good partnership, it might be a good meeting. I only have one other Exclusifs sample but can't wait to try it, either.

8 out of 10
02nd November, 2015
This is what Angel wants to be when she grows up. Much more classy and refined. Yet there is that strange combination of the very sweet with patchouli which I think creates the illusion of a chocolate note that doesn't really exist. My first sniff of this, the dirty patchouli blast caught up in my nose. Then it became a very sweet and patchouli fragrance. For patchouli lovers like myself, it is the sort of thing you are always looking for. A very different diversion from the typical Chanel brand. Worthy of getting the full bottle.
24th October, 2015
Salutation.

However i am not a fan of CHANEL perfumes but this fragrance is amazing!...heard that? AMAZING!a perfume for the upper class lady.It is a beautifully complex scent,with several "layers."the scents is special so it may don't be very nice for everyone it is unique, haunting in its strength and complexity.a well done fragrance with depth and character,something i admirable for ladies.LES EXCLUSIFTS DE CHANEL COROMANDEL is a reminiscence of the Christmas holidays.Sophisticated,Sensual, Expensive,Rich,Warm, Magnetic and Luxurious.

The scent blends a variety of powerful elemnts-delicate,strong top notes of bitter orange and neroli,charming heart notes of patchouli and jasmine, closing with woody,sensual base notes of white chocoalte,incense,vanilla and benzoin.it has a very rich dry down and doesen't smell cheap at any stage.this classy perfume is ideal for a dinner date with your man but only wear this with heels it is that sexy!any ladies should wear this perfume with her "little black dress".an bsolutely wonderful choice for cold weather.

Sillage?Ok.

Longevity?Excellent on my skin.

7.5/10
13th June, 2015
A house like Chanel has to play a few different angles at once if they want to sell their products. With Cormandel they tie together a few different narratives that target a number of key demographics simultaneously. It’s an odd dance that Coromandel performs seamlessly.

Coromandel is a Hippy Patchouli and it’s an Old Lady Perfume. It’s for the old guard and the debutantes. It’s stuffy and it’s boho chic. And it does it all without compromise. It starts with an explosion of citrus, flowers and bucketsful of bright, cold patchouli. There’s not a doubt in the world that Coromandel is a Patchouli Perfume, but it’s a clever one. It's similar in concept to Guerlain Shalimar. It plays patchouli in just the way that Shalimar plays vanilla. In each perfume, the material is the undisputed center of the composition, but not a solo act. Neither uses the material like a flower in a soliflor or a single-note hippy shop oil. Still, if you miss the vanilla in Shalimar or the patchouli in Coromandel, Jacques Guerlain and Jacques Polge have miscalculated.

If you don’t like the scent of patchouli there’s little likelihood that that you’ll warm to Coromandel. But if you take the plunge you’ll find every aspect of patchouli is played to maximum effect. I’ve been looking for a Patchouli-patchouli perfume. You know, a perfume that is earthy, icy, green, powdery, camphorous and potent. The whole package. But it must be a perfume, not some headshop oil or sledgehammer perfume without thoughtful composition. Coromandel is precisely what I’ve been looking for. It’s a spectacular combination of all the facets of patchouli without compromise. The patchouli is fleshed out with incense, amber, vanilla and god knows what else, but it never feels heavy or overburdened. Oh, it’s enormous. It verges on rococo, but it works without ever teetering and has an unrestrained charm that is the key to its wide appeal.

Old ladies, hippies, spoiled rich kids and fumies can all come together on this one.

Kumbaya.

from scenthurdle.com
17th May, 2015
Dramatic, visceral opening… certainly not my idea of typical-Chanel. The accord settles a little to a rich benzoin / floral / wood with a strong undercurrent of incense. This opening accord is one of those that do not reveal the individual elements that compose them: Except for the resinous undercurrent of incense and the stabilizing foundation of elegant patchouli (more of a presumption on my part than an obvious experience), I cannot pick out the individual notes but I can accept everything the pyramid tells me: citrus, rose, jasmine, patchouli, spice. The accord is full and sumptuous as I expect of Chanel, and a good bit edgier than what I would normally consider for “Chanel,” but it never passes the tricky boundaries of its own perfection. With an added plus, the opening accord holds on for a good deal longer than most fragrance openings, cementing its visceral ecstacy…

I realize the mid-level when I first get a hint of florals (rose, actually). The heart accord is a reminder that this is truly a Chanel fragrance: That combination of florals (jasmine, rose, orris) and patchouli rings several bells of Chanel fragrance-memory for me. To my nose this less visceral but more refined and elegant movement is true to both its opening and to its Chanel origins… and, to further prove both origins, the middle accord also exhibits very good longevity. This is Chanel at its most enduring-creative best.

The base accounts for the resinousness of Coromandel with its quality incense. The remainder of the base is traditional wood, musk and vanilla in a dense and rich combination – this level is also very rich in Chanel-ness and is a fitting way to close on the superb beginnings.

This is a fragrance that, on first sniff, I thought would be perfect... In a very real sense, it is perfect – I don’t find one element at all discordant in Coromandel not one chink in its splender. Its opening is captivating. It is an elegant, refined, and beautifully structured-and-performing fragrance. But so much more than that, it is passionate and poignant and dream-worthy. And while the heart and base are excellent, for me they don’t reach the visceral intensity and satisfaction of the opening and I kind of miss that. Still… two thumbs-way, way up – perfection is perfection.
03rd May, 2015 (last edited: 05th May, 2015)
I tried this 09.12.2013. accidentally. I met with a friend who was "moving" a girl, oops - a woman to be precise, a complicated story so I won't go into details, and he met her that day, he got hooked for the scent so she gave him 2/3 spent bottle. Anyway, I met him and I noticed he's fiddling with something in his pocket, he took it out and I just had to spray it on in the middle of the street.

Coromandel may be marketed as a fragrance for women, but it could have been for men, or unisex at best and it still wouldn't matter as this fragrance is such a lovely creation, not very versatile though, that anyone who has the taste for style and knows how to wear it, be it a he or she, will pull it off successfully.

Now how does it smell? Think Thierry Mugler Angel and A*Men. The idea, the DNA string of it is definitely there. Chocolate, woods, spices well mixed together, refined. Coromandel is smouldering, embracing, but also firm and strong in character. Earthy, spicy, eatable, neither dark or light. A wonderful creation not for everyday wear unless you have an occasion every day. Coromandel is truly a magnificent perfume force to be reckoned with.

(worn/tried 1st. time 09. dec. 2013.)
02nd May, 2015
Coromandel is one of my favorites. The smell and the longevity are fantastic. The smell is unisex, so among my favorites, this is the least masculine.

This is a sweet, vibrant, heart-breaking oriental that smells natural and sweet. This has a stronger note of a natural ingredient than my other favorites.

This could be described as accessible niche, perhaps. For me, it has a touch of magic, almost.

When I see someone else is detecting Coromandel coming from me, I'm happy for them. It's a great scent to have around people; there's no need to wear this one at home alone.

Someone mentioned getting fatigued with Coromandel, and switching to Dior Ambre Nuit. Both are great, but I prefer Coromandel, even if just slightly. Ambre Nuit is another impressive oriental to my nose.
22nd April, 2015

Coromadel starts with a creamy fizz of aldehydes, citruses- bergamot- and white flowers- lemon blossoms- intertwined with terpenic, volatile notes announcing patchouli. Patchouli is definitely there, not too earthy, not winy, rather dry and herbaceous and- for the bliss of my nose- soundly camphoraceous. But it's like you have to break through a thick, sweet, creamy crust to reach it. It reminds me of those slender, elegant citrus peels dipped in chocolate, their taste a perfect balance between sweet and bitter, aromatic and sour, zesty and rich, their texture velvety and crunchy at the same time. This shell lasts for the whole development of the fragrance, showing at a certain point a green, harshly sweet, slightly jarring note- maybe some aromachemical I'm hypersensitive to. The lingering of this note makes me love Coromandel a bit less unconditionally than I could, but every time I bury my nose closer to my skin, the gorgeous patchouli is there, uplifting and calming. In the drydown, the shell melts in a creamy, musky, chocolate-y amber base.
A great fragrance, with a powerful sillage and excellent longevity.
22nd March, 2015
rbaker Show all reviews
The top notes include orange and neroli with a bitter a slightly astringent twist, soon turning into a floral drydown of jasmine with rose. Very soon a rich patchouli emerges that together with musk olibanum give it an oriental, nigh-incense character. Sweet notes, mainly vanilla and a light white chocolate-creamy note are added in the base, which is on my skin the sweetest part of this scent.

Whilst I would not call this a sensational creation, it is very well made and quite a nice sequence of developments. This is a scent with quite heavy sillage at times, good projection and about six hours of longevity on me. 3.75/5
27th December, 2014
I'm sorry, but this is the most awful perfume I have ever tried! Unbelievably sweet and sickly, this chocolate patchouli toffee biscuity creation nearly made me physically sick. I've realised I'm not a fan of Jacques Polge perfumes in general, (Chanel No18 being an exception) but Coromandel (along with Bel Respiro) is the the worst so far. It obviously has a lot of fans, but I can honestly say I have never smelled anything so sweet and nasty.
27th July, 2014
For me, this is at least as much about frankincense as it is about patchouli. I happen to love both patchouli and frankincense, so this just about fires up all of my pleasure synapses. The patchouli dominates (but never EVER strays into hippy territory - this is Chanel, after all), and the incense adds a lovely smokiness. They rise up off my skin in thick whorls of scent, alternating between earthy patchouli and celestial incense, and the whole thing comes off as bookish, serious, and spiritual.

The opening is rather harsh and bitter, perhaps owing to the bitter oranges, and for a while I feel like I am wearing a tweed overcoat kindly offered to me by a man, with whiffs of some male muskiness and sharp cologne still lingering on the scratchy wool. That's good - I actually like the sensation of putting on something recently worn by a man - it smells both familiar and strange. The scent softens and sweetens progressively throughout, shedding the most butch elements of the start, but still retaining the air of maleness that I like so much.

The green-brown earthiness of the patch, fierce at first, slowly starts to sink into a giant pillow of orris, vanilla, and woods, creating that sweet, creamy feel that Coromandel is justly famous for. White chocolate you say? Well, yes, I can smell it, or maybe it is the power of suggestion. I am highly suggestible. Patchouli generally feels chocolatey to my nose anyway. The overall feel, before the dry down that is, is one of rich, golden brown patchouli and gently smoking frankincense tears all whipped up into a cloud of sweet musks, vanilla and orris. It manages, by some trick I can't figure out, to be both powdery and buttery all at once.

It's downright gorgeous: a rich-but-restrained, earthy, sexy, bosomy oriental that whispers (never shrieks) both comfort and high-end luxury. I would say it is a cashmere sweater type of scent except that I am not a cashmere sweater type of girl (I don't have the patience for all that hand washing), so let's just say instead that it is the perfume equivalent of drinking a bath tub sized mug of hot chocolate, spiked with Irish whiskey, on a cold, blustery day.

The dry down is a woodsy, ambery affair that I've experienced elsewhere, including in (of all places!) that classic drugstore cheapy chypre La Perla! It's still lovely, although slightly less exciting than the top and heart notes. I love Coromandel and hope to always have a bit of it in my collection, because it's wonderful and also because it makes me like I am wearing that man's tweed overcoat.
11th June, 2014
Genre: Woody Oriental

Coromandel is the patchouli entry in Chanel’s Les Exclusifs line, and was apparently composed by the new house perfumer Christopher Sheldrake. Sheldrake’s fingerprints are all over this scent, and I agree on the oft-observed resemblance to his previous Borneo 1834 for Serge Lutens. The two scents are very similar in their late stages, sharing as they do a fuzzy, if slightly generic, synthetic woody amber drydown. In neither case is this accord as crass or heavy as in say, Lolita Lempicka au Masculin or Guerlain Homme, but I would have liked something more original by way of basenotes, especially the second time around.

Before it dries down Coromandel is a sweeter, spicier, and hence more approachable scent than Borneo 1843, the dusty patchouli-cocoa accord being softened by a creamy iris note. Between the extra sweetness, the texture of the iris, and the gentle spices, Coromandel borders closely on the gourmand, though it never quite ventures as far as “edible.” I attribute the inedible quality to a sharp, tangy edge on the patchouli. This piquancy is very noticeable up top, but persists well into the heart of the scent. If it lingered even longer it would make a wonderful counterweight to the somewhat flat woody amber in the drydown. Coromandel’s sillage and projection are contained as patchouli rich fragrances go, but it’s by no means a weak or stingy scent. While I’m not in love with it’s drydown, I imagine many others will be happier with it, and since the rest of the fragrance is rich and beautifully composed I have to rate Coromandel an overall success.
11th June, 2014
Dark green earth patchouli and nothing else - hateful juice!
15th April, 2014
Judging by the notes of and Noses behind this scent I expected to love it, but boy was I wrong! The opening blast of Coromandel felt almost painful, not only to nostrils but also palate, and the sweetish run-of-the-mill drydown wasn't much better. The overall impression was stagnant and "too cheap for a Chanel" (especially as it is not just a plain Chanel but an "exclusif"). I like my patchouli dirty and earthy, not sanitized like this.
07th March, 2014
While my first experience with Chanel exclusive line (Bois des Iles) was a completely disappointment, this one got my attention and I must admit it's a great fragrance!
The opening is a warm, sweet,spicy and slightly smoky scent.
The benzoin note create a warm, sweet and slightly resinous scent that is mixed with some incense note.
The incense note is not that strong, but strong enough to give it a very light smoky aroma.
There is also a spicy scent, something like cinnamon that beside those sweet and warm notes, create a strong and very sensual oriental scent.
As time goes by, in the mid the magic happens!
The spicy cinnamon like and incense notes settle down and white chocolate kick in.
The white chocolate note mixed with benzoin and vanilla, create a sweet, yummy and extremely sensual scent. when you're hungry don't use this fragrance because you may eat your wrists!!!!
The sweetness is more creamy and slightly sugary and it's really well balanced. it's not in your face and cloying at all.
In the base, it's time for patchouli note to shine!
In the base you can still smell that sweet white chocolate scent and now the patchouli note comes in and give it much more depth.
The patchouli note give the scent slightly sharp, earthy and wet feeling and this combination remind me of "Thierry Mugler Angel" in many ways but much smoother.
A great complex and sensual fragrance with very good projection and great longevity.
Well done!
16th February, 2014
Coromandel opens with a thick, dense, black resinous sandalwood-patchouli-incense accord, bitter and sticky, with a refined and brighter crown of vanillin-flowers notes (iris, violet, rose, all quite velvety and discreetly sensual). For a while it gets slightly and "far" close to some Kamali's Incense, or some Slumberhouse scents, or more obviously Sheldrake himself, at least for the resinous, oily-sticky "blackness" of the opening. A hint of fruits (almost rhubarb), aldehydes, the powdery creaminess of white musks, orris and ylang complete the blend. Obscure and quite fascinating, it then progressively sweetens and softens as minutes pass, eventually settling on a mellow, soft, creamy-musky drydown comprising again sandalwood, earthy patchouli, a salty-metallic note, a balsamic breeze. The "Chanel touch" is the aldehydes accord, which gives the scent a metallic, powdery roundness, keeping it in a quite classic European chypre territory. Still it's globally a fresh (meaning "new") and unpredictable scent, fairly remarkable to be honest: mainstream enough, a bit glossy and restrained, but charming and well-executed. For mainstream lovers which want to add a touch of shade and "niche" to their collection.

7,5/10
15th January, 2014 (last edited: 02nd January, 2015)
Like a combination of Angel and Shalimar, only lighter and less jarring. Very nice drydown...a patchouli note that is not too heavy. Good longevity. The EDT lasts 8 hours on me
08th November, 2013
Stunning

Masculine? Feminine? Who cares anin.... This is an amazing scent. The frankincense is front and foremost on my skin, and it is wonderful. Reminds me a bit of Sahara Noir at first, but then becomes far more complex. I get rose, but there may not be any present. I also get cocoa in moments, it is not overpowering. It is sweet, but not coying to me, making it more of a spicy scent than a gourmand, although I get why some call it that.

My only issue? I had very, very little to try, as I received the last wear from a very generous trading partner who said it was one of his favorite. I understand why; one of my tops and one I will have to get at some point. Stunning.

27th September, 2013
Great frag.

Chanel Les Exclusives Coromandel

Coromandel reminds me of Saturday sauna at my Uncle's house decades ago. He had an old cedar sauna where he would pour equaliptus oil on the hot stones and whip the guests with birch branches for a massage. Later, we would drink herbal tea and eat chocolates.

The effect was calming and intoxicating.

The effect of Coromandel is calming and intoxicating. It conveys a feeling of having cognac and chocolates after a large meal. Coromandel is satiated, heavy, non transparent, luxurious, and rich.

It is not a summer scent. There is a gravity to it that makes it perfect for the colder days when the sidewalks are covered with colourful, rotting leaves, and you have just pulled out your favourite sweater out of storage . I see it as the perfect scent to wear to a bar late on a cold night.

It is a feminine scent which does not scream of sexuality. Instead, it whispers it. This is a scent for gentle, quiet, fall time romance. For whispers and meaningful glances. It could be worn by a man. I'd have to say that this is a scent best worn for yourself and those you love.

24th August, 2013
Gary F Show all reviews
Stunning!

Words cannot begin to express how much I love Coromandel, but I'll try. It's sweet and savory, classic and modern, sophisticated and easy going. I'm not sure that I have a signature scent, but if I could only wear one for the rest of my life, this would be it - without hesitation.

Pros: Perfection in a bottle
Cons: None - are you kidding me?!?

20th June, 2013
Noah2 Show all reviews
After finally taking roughly an hour in the small Brompton Road Boutique in Knightsbridge deciding which scent to get, I went with Bois des Iles on the day, but I was so torn it seemed perhaps an hour wasn't enough time to make a final decision (as much as I love bois des Iles).

I managed to get a sample Coromandel and got the SA to spray a card very heavily of it for me as I was already wearing BdI. Such a beautiful scent, initially undoubtedly feminine the florals dry down quite promptly and reveal a soft middle of amber, still holding on and blending smooth and masterfully into sandalwood and a vanilla. Which in my opinion smells equally as masculine.

This is such a great fragrance I'm hoping to make it my next purchase (after another hour of smelling all the Les Exclusifs range). It's very calming, yet elegant, unisex and complex. Sweet, smooth and relaxed may not be for everyone, but this is a scent you cannot ignore even just to try.
13th April, 2013
I almost have no words to describe Coromandel.

Im about to say this is the most beautiful fragrance i've ever smelt.

The patchouli is very well blended with benzoin and the result is a wonderful sweetness.

The incense note is very light and gives it a nice depth.

The opening may be a little harsh, but as it dries down the sweetness starts in a creamy way.

Here again the comparisions are inevitable.

While Montale Patchouli Leaves is more linear, Coromandel is much more a complex and well blended scent.

While Borneo 1932 is raw, Coromandel is soft.

In my opinion Borneo 1932 is an "unfinished" version of Coromandel.

Sheldrake finished the job that had been already began and together with Polge created this beautiful composition.

Definetely Coromandel is a piece of art. Masterpiece. Unique. Addictive.
20th March, 2013
must rewrite my whole review, was neutral before, but it is thumbs up!

i dont like patchouly as the main theme! but here its so nicely done! it has feminine side, opens up with bitter orange, patchouly-floral notes, then kicks in incense, after an hour or so settles down in great floral patchouly heart with olibanum vanilic base :)

its oriental,spicy, the name coromandel suggests in my language sweet fennel, so it smells like that herbal spice!
12th October, 2012 (last edited: 18th October, 2012)
Top: citruses, bitter orange, neroli
Heart: jasmine, rose, patchouli, orris
Base: incense, olibanum, benzoin, woodsy notes, musk, Tahitian vanilla

The moment I tried Coromandel, I fell head over heels in love with this fragrance. For about 2 hours, I kept smelling my wrist. The rich, sweet and exotic oriental concoction was so divinely intoxicating I almost rushed back to the Chanel boutique to buy the 200ml bottle. Then, with no warning, the musk note that had remained rather discreet up to that point suddenly appeared and ruined everything for me. As I often said before, I am not too big on animalic notes and musk is most certainly an ingredient that does not agree with me. I believe it is the combination of musk and jasmine that reacts badly on my skin. To my utter disappointment, this exclusive EDT I was so crazy about minutes before had turned into a rather uninteresting cheap-smelling musk-based fragrance.

The friend who accompanied me to the store also tried Coromandel but with very different results. On her skin, the fragrance developed much better. The fresh yet zesty citrus notes were very present. More importantly, the dreadful musk note did not show up at all. However, it failed to do what any animalic note is intended to do i.e. give the fragrance longevity and stability. We both found Coromandel extremely pleasant on her but she did not buy it either due to its unfortunate lack of staying power. A third party was supposed to be with us that afternoon. Who knows? Maybe Coromandel would have fit him to a T!
18th July, 2012