Positive Reviews of Coromandel by Chanel

Find out more about Coromandel by Chanel in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Kain's avatar
    Kain
    Iran Iran

While my first experience with Chanel exclusive line (Bois des Iles) was a completely disappointment, this one got my attention and I must admit it's a great fragrance!
    The opening is a warm, sweet,spicy and slightly smoky scent.
    The benzoin note create a warm, sweet and slightly resinous scent that is mixed with some incense note.
    The incense note is not that strong, but strong enough to give it a very light smoky aroma.
    There is also a spicy scent, something like cinnamon that beside those sweet and warm notes, create a strong and very sensual oriental scent.
    As time goes by, in the mid the magic happens!
    The spicy cinnamon like and incense notes settle down and white chocolate kick in.
    The white chocolate note mixed with benzoin and vanilla, create a sweet, yummy and extremely sensual scent. when you're hungry don't use this fragrance because you may eat your wrists!!!!
    The sweetness is more creamy and slightly sugary and it's really well balanced. it's not in your face and cloying at all.
    In the base, it's time for patchouli note to shine!
    In the base you can still smell that sweet white chocolate scent and now the patchouli note comes in and give it much more depth.
    The patchouli note give the scent slightly sharp, earthy and wet feeling and this combination remind me of "Thierry Mugler Angel" in many ways but much smoother.
    A great complex and sensual fragrance with very good projection and great longevity.
    Well done!

16 February, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar
    Colin Maillard

Nice exotic blend with a signature Chanel "richness". You can definitely smell Sheldrake here. Fairly persistent and safely unisex. Absolutely not worth the price and the hype.

15 January, 2014 (Last Edited: 05 April, 2014)

promqueen's avatar
    promqueen

Like a combination of Angel and Shalimar, only lighter and less jarring. Very nice drydown...a patchouli note that is not too heavy. Good longevity. The EDT lasts 8 hours on me

08 November, 2013

RichNTacoma's avatar
    RichNTacoma

Stunning

Masculine? Feminine? Who cares anin.... This is an amazing scent. The frankincense is front and foremost on my skin, and it is wonderful. Reminds me a bit of Sahara Noir at first, but then becomes far more complex. I get rose, but there may not be any present. I also get cocoa in moments, it is not overpowering. It is sweet, but not coying to me, making it more of a spicy scent than a gourmand, although I get why some call it that.

My only issue? I had very, very little to try, as I received the last wear from a very generous trading partner who said it was one of his favorite. I understand why; one of my tops and one I will have to get at some point. Stunning.

27 September, 2013

pavel's avatar
    pavel

Great frag.

Chanel Les Exclusives Coromandel

Coromandel reminds me of Saturday sauna at my Uncle's house decades ago. He had an old cedar sauna where he would pour equaliptus oil on the hot stones and whip the guests with birch branches for a massage. Later, we would drink herbal tea and eat chocolates.

The effect was calming and intoxicating.

The effect of Coromandel is calming and intoxicating. It conveys a feeling of having cognac and chocolates after a large meal. Coromandel is satiated, heavy, non transparent, luxurious, and rich.

It is not a summer scent. There is a gravity to it that makes it perfect for the colder days when the sidewalks are covered with colourful, rotting leaves, and you have just pulled out your favourite sweater out of storage . I see it as the perfect scent to wear to a bar late on a cold night.

It is a feminine scent which does not scream of sexuality. Instead, it whispers it. This is a scent for gentle, quiet, fall time romance. For whispers and meaningful glances. It could be worn by a man. I'd have to say that this is a scent best worn for yourself and those you love.

24 August, 2013

Gary F's avatar
    Gary F

Stunning!

Words cannot begin to express how much I love Coromandel, but I'll try. It's sweet and savory, classic and modern, sophisticated and easy going. I'm not sure that I have a signature scent, but if I could only wear one for the rest of my life, this would be it - without hesitation.

Pros: Perfection in a bottle
    Cons: None - are you kidding me?!?

20th June, 2013

Noah2's avatar
    Noah2

After finally taking roughly an hour in the small Brompton Road Boutique in Knightsbridge deciding which scent to get, I went with Bois des Iles on the day, but I was so torn it seemed perhaps an hour wasn't enough time to make a final decision (as much as I love bois des Iles).

I managed to get a sample Coromandel and got the SA to spray a card very heavily of it for me as I was already wearing BdI. Such a beautiful scent, initially undoubtedly feminine the florals dry down quite promptly and reveal a soft middle of amber, still holding on and blending smooth and masterfully into sandalwood and a vanilla. Which in my opinion smells equally as masculine.

This is such a great fragrance I'm hoping to make it my next purchase (after another hour of smelling all the Les Exclusifs range). It's very calming, yet elegant, unisex and complex. Sweet, smooth and relaxed may not be for everyone, but this is a scent you cannot ignore even just to try.

13 April, 2013

's avatar

I almost have no words to describe Coromandel.

Im about to say this is the most beautiful fragrance i've ever smelt.

The patchouli is very well blended with benzoin and the result is a wonderful sweetness.

The incense note is very light and gives it a nice depth.

The opening may be a little harsh, but as it dries down the sweetness starts in a creamy way.

Here again the comparisions are inevitable.

While Montale Patchouli Leaves is more linear, Coromandel is much more a complex and well blended scent.

While Borneo 1932 is raw, Coromandel is soft.

In my opinion Borneo 1932 is an "unfinished" version of Coromandel.

Sheldrake finished the job that had been already began and together with Polge created this beautiful composition.

Definetely Coromandel is a piece of art. Masterpiece. Unique. Addictive.

20th March, 2013

iivanita's avatar
    iivanita
    Croatia Croatia

must rewrite my whole review, was neutral before, but it is thumbs up!

i dont like patchouly as the main theme! but here its so nicely done! it has feminine side, opens up with bitter orange, patchouly-floral notes, then kicks in incense, after an hour or so settles down in great floral patchouly heart with olibanum vanilic base :)

its oriental,spicy, the name coromandel suggests in my language sweet fennel, so it smells like that herbal spice!

12 October, 2012 (Last Edited: 18 October, 2012)

srmd22's avatar
    srmd22

Beautiful ambery scent, with a complex opening. Sweet vanilla/amber drydown, maybe with a slight woodsy aspect. I probably won't by this one, because it feels mostly like a gourmand to me, and I have several excellent gourmands and sweet frags, but I do love the way this smells. Good sillage and longevity (lasts the whole workday, no problem).

20th April, 2012

Fhaoilgeal's avatar
    Fhaoilgeal

On first sniff the smell of flowers freshly picked in full bloom, quickly dispelled by an olfactory image of working in the garden...a bag of potting soil just opened standing next to a hole dug for a flowering plant.

The scent of the potting soil powerful, earthy, fecund with astringent notes of minerals, the fragrance of the flowers overshadowed by it's bedding partner.
    The flower is planted, the hole filled with potting soil, tamped down, watered, the two smells - potting soil and flowers tussle, the potting soil more angular, the flowers more globular, yielding.

Watering and time brings a melding, occasionally a dominant note, the bouquet of earth gentled by water, floral perfume becoming resinous on being joined to the soil.
    A tight, slow, intoxicating dance, the interplay of shadow and sunlight, sensual.

Two thumbs up and an important mile marker along the patchouli highway.

24 February, 2012

dollars&scents's avatar
    dollars&scents

Coromandel by Chanel - One is initially treated to wafts of peppery spiciness commingling with a somewhat camphoraceous, yet dirty, patchouli. This intriguing and inviting melange floats on an ephemeral cloud of salty fruitiness and spices of cloves and ginger. Aromatic woods, with hints of lemon verbena and minty laurel, serve as a backdrop to this stirring opening. Transitioning to the middle, the woods fade and wisps of florals, with violet-like iris, clover-like rose and sweetly seductive jasmine, interface with the musty earthiness of patchouli, which has taken on a clay-like facet. A nascent, vanillic amber sprinkles the melange, giving the florals a creamy texture, and coaxes a cocoa aspect of patchouli to rise up. Segueing to the robust base, balsamic woods, hay-like beeswax, herbaceous cinnamon, all intermingle and interplay with the vanillic and almond sweetness of benzoin. The heavy, resinous, sweetish amber has come into full bloom. A restrained smoky frankincense reels about. And, a chocolate-like tone presents from the interweaving of coumarin and patchouli. A delightsome drydown ensues. This high-quality composition is definitely unisex, if not leaning masculine, and has average projection and longevity. Its elegance will shine in the fall and winter.

17 February, 2012

mrcologneguy's avatar
    mrcologneguy

I love it. It's pretty heavy on patchouli, almost too much so for my taste, but the patchouli is redeemed by an array of complementing rich, smoky, and sweet notes that play in and out all day long. One little spray to the chest and you will be entertained for hours.

Coromandel is a superb value. One of the best, strongest and longest-lasting in my collection. Beautiful packaging. Might be my favorite Chanel.

I have to say this, too: it seems too good to last. If you're at all interested, you should buy a bottle before corporate bean counters decide that reformulation would be a good idea. Looking into my crystal ball, I'm seeing Basenoters in the year 2022 starting threads about how the rare 2012 formulation is definitely worth paying triple the price. Yes, it is that good.

15 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 14 January, 2013)

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

You need patience till the end in order to fully appreciate the real refinement of this scent. What i love of Coromandel is its distinction and the balance since it becomes almost  a gourmand in the middle of the development with its powdery and honeyed note of cocoa beans however remaining endly averagely sharp, balanced and dry-spicy. The final amber-benzoin is well appointed and not suffocating, just avoiding to take the scene to the main and starring note, "sua maestà" the patchouli. I agree who with writes that its spiciness (almost piquancy) and the skillfully crafted implementation of the note of frankincense plus balsams remind the Guerlain's landmark of some classics as the denser Heritage; that's sheer but i have to underline that the almost creamy, chocolatey and resinous vibe is just fugacious and tends to fade towards a more subtle and sharper final rooty outcome. The spicy patchouli backbone turns out rooty and averagely restrained at the end, being flanked in a first moment by a well dosed, slightly powdery and  distinguished usage of cocoa beans and balsams while later by a perfectly combined mossy-musky  amber that fits with the general cool brightness of the smell. Some fruity-floral elements are mixed in this unisex blend that is finally refined, subtle and minimalistic enough to aspire becoming a classic.

11th February, 2012

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Notes: amber, frankincense, benzoin, "soulful woody notes"
    Amber from the get-go, zingy benzoin... and yet I like it??? Well, those elements are bold yet delivered with a classy nod to restraint, and they are admirably framed by a very interesting frankincense. The package is complex and intriguing. It is cool and yet has a warm dark chocolate / vanilla / rubber note. Yet, I like it (and I don't really care for those notes normally). The benzoin comes across almost like opoponax, a very sweet and perfumed myrrh. The scent is intriguing, a bit of a shape-shifter as it moves between the various discrete elements. Finally, it settles into a very attractive dry woody scent. In my opinion, this what Guerlain's Bois D'Armenie should be -- restrained yet slightly rich, wood and benzoin, sweet and yet dry. Well done!

13 January, 2012

manicboy's avatar
    manicboy

And here I thought Thierry Mugler had a corner on the fragrance market for that (in)famous patchouli & cocoa accord. Chanel and Jacques Polge take this accord to new, lofty heights unimagined by Mugler. In fact, it makes Mugler's Amen & Angel seem crude and obnoxious. Coromandel's lovely patchouli and cocoa accord is light, feathery, and sublime, like thin cheesecloth held over hippy dream of patchouli and chocolate. Never heavy. There's also delightful amber and vanilla here that complement and surround the patchouli & cocoa. Like others have said, I find this more masculine than feminine and it's one of Chanel's best and boldest scent in years. Too bad the other exclusives aren't this inventive and good.

31st October, 2011

Leilahdancer's avatar
    Leilahdancer

On our trip to Las Vegas I visited about a dozen perfume retailers to sample a long list of researched and recommended scents. I was searching for a new primary fragrance. I thought I wanted a floriental with a bit of spice. What did I know?

My first stop should have been my last. At the Chanel store in the Wynn, Jessica was most helpful and I was able to enjoy all of the frags available. I've no idea why I waited until last to try Coromandel. Everything I sniffed was nice, but not me. Classy, wonderful accords, but lacking what I want from a fragrance. I wanted a rich scent that pushed the limits a little. These Chanels were lovely,. On someone else. My gourmand-y heart wanted more. More a flavor, than a fragrance.

Then came Coromandel. One sniff and my eyes lit up. This, this was the one! I wanted it, but intended to do much more sniffing that day, so declined to actually test. Six hours and ten stores later, I was back. I couldn't get it out of my head.

Rich spices with a patchouli edge, just enough vanilla to lend sweetness. And a creamy whiff of chocolate throughout. All of this and without smelling like a cookie.

Wore it to a show that night and I could catch a hint every time I applauded. The sillage was perfect. My seat mate commented that she noticed it on occasion as well, and thought it was very nice. Who would have guessed that Chanel made a gourmand pleasing lovely like this. I am in love!

12 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 22 September, 2011)

blood-orange's avatar
    blood-orange

It was Katie Puckrik who had me wanting to try this fragrance. After watching her perfume collection videos on YouTube and hearing all about her love for incense-based scents, Chanel's Coromandel went straight to the top of my 'for test' list.

It took a while for me to discover my love for Coromandel. When first applied to the skin, it seemed to be very masculine and indeed very strong. The incense note was barely evident for the first ten minutes.

When I re-visited Coromandel, it reminded me of a stronger, more lasting and much more complex version of Allure Sensuelle.

After leaving the Chanel boutique I was quite certain that Chanel's Beige was my pick, however as I walked on through the crowd of people at the mall, I was enchanted by a deliciously smokey scent drifting up and around my nose.

Once settled into the heart, the magic of Coromandel can be truly felt. This is less sophisticated than other Chanel's I've tried. Coromandel makes me feel like a bad-girl; a little daring, merciless and wild.

Coromandel is earthy patchouli, rich ambery incense, exotic spices, syrupy vanilla and dusty woods. I would be game enough to call this fragrance sexy.

Some people mention chocolate as a note not listed here, and on second thoughts, there is a rather chocolatey accord hidden in there somewhere. However, don't expect Coromandel to be anything like Thierry Mugler's Angel.

The lasting strength is amazing. I had my wrist stuck to my nose until almost 3am. I think Coromandel excited me so much that I couldn't sleep.

27 August, 2011

thatbrownelf's avatar
    thatbrownelf

Coromandel is my go-to comfort scent. I would classify it as a milky-oriental, with its creamy vanilla-chocolate notes, soft spice, and warm woods. It's like curling up wrapped in a golden-brown cashmere wrap on an antique velvet mahogany couch, sipping a creamy spicy chai while watching your favorite movie.

27 August, 2011

sleepsheep's avatar
    sleepsheep

This is a beautiful scent... for a man. It is a musky, sexy and masculine. It is enticing, romantic, and animalistic. It makes me think about sex. The lady at the Chanel Boutique on 57th Street in Manhattan told me that this is a unisex scent, but I absolutely cannot see this on a woman. Coromandel is raw masculinity at it's peak, without a feminine drop in it. A man absolutely cannot go wrong with this perfume.

29 June, 2011 (Last Edited: 30th June, 2011)

alfarom's avatar
    alfarom

If you happen to smell Coromoandel for the first time and you don't know it's from Chanel you'll be probably end up thinking it's from Guerlain or Serge Lutens. This fragrance sits somewhere next to Guerlain Homme Intense, L'instant Pour Homme Extreme and Heritage but at the same time it shows the unmistakeable hallmark of many of the Sheldrake's compositions made for Serge Lutens. A bold-sweet (almost gourmandic),-spicy oriental built around a consistent patchouli note.

An high quality composition that is a sure compliment getter, projects decently and has a tenacious lasting power (more than 12 hrs), but IMO it's not among the best and most successful releases in the Les Exclusif range. Don't get me wrong, Coromandel is a crowdpleaser and you'll probably won't be by any means disappointed, it's just that I like it but don't love it. Good rating, anyway.

12 June, 2011 (Last Edited: 25 January, 2012)

Coco Belle's avatar
    Coco Belle

Brings tears of joy to my eyes.

I am so glad this is finally being offered in a smaller size... I am too poor for the larger one! This is on my list to buy next week. I've guarded my 0.03oz sample with my life -- thankfully a single squirt is heady and gorgeous enough, so I've spent several days with Coromandel.

This is a patchouli scent, with a benzoin, dry vanilla and spice background that combines to recall a rich dark chocolate. If you have ever enjoyed patchouli in any form (and even if you disliked Angel), just give this a try.

This is the perfume for short, grey days of rain and slush. Snuggle down into your winter coat, open up your umbrella and go for a walk with Coromandel. It's transporting. It's transcendent. If you're feeling under the weather, this will buoy you up enough to get you through a long day. It is an unparalleled autumn/winter joy.

Powerful sillage. Apply sparingly. Extremely long-lasting -- it was detectable on my wrist after 24 hours. I know you're not supposed to offend your colleagues with fragrance these days, but I love to wear it to work in midwinter... it cheers and calms me like no other scent, and somehow makes me look forward to walking home in the dark.

For women over 25, but it would certainly suit men too. Definitely for winter use, and it's austere enough for me to lean towards recommending it as a daytime scent. However, I've spent happy evenings wrapped in it, too.

21st March, 2011

nsamadi's avatar
    nsamadi

Only Chanel can manage to make patchouli, which is often dirty, earthy, hippy head shop like in perfumery, and turn it into something opulent and rich. There's patchouli, you get its facets, but it isn't concentrated. It's almost puffy, airy or transparent in Coromandel. I get something rich and creamy, with a soft, spicy gingerbread sweetness. One of the best in the Les Exclusifs line.

18 March, 2011

vintage*red's avatar
    vintage*red

As soon as I received an email from Chanel stating that they were offering a few of their Exclusifs in 2.2 ou bottles, I ordered Coromandel. I don't own a patchouli fragrance and decided to try this one. After the first spray, I thought of Chanel No 5. That impression lasted only seconds. Next came a blast of strong, tart, spicey patchouli steeped in austere incense. Finally, the patchouli was joined by cocoa...not sweet chocolate, but rich cocoa beans. For me, this fragrance is all about sharp angles and not about soft curves. Unlike Coco, it has no heart. It wears like a masculine. Will I replace this bottle? No. Am I glad for the purchase? Yes.

15 October, 2010

berganza's avatar
    berganza
    Netherlands Netherlands

I am new on the site and Coromandel is my first review. I got it two weeks ago and I am so pleased that it makes me want to sing. It is very warm, I get the patchouli from the onset. In the seventies, I had some real patchouli, as an oil, high-quality stuff of which one drop kept the mosquitos off for hours. Coromandel has transformed this eternal scent into a piece of art. Mixed with the discrete vanilla and the spicyness. And unlike the other Exclusifs that I sampled or possess, Coromandel has staying power! A real stunner!

04 August, 2010

Diamondflame's avatar
    Diamondflame
    Singapore Singapore

I vaguely recall a BNer calling COROMANDEL a patchouli oriental. Now that I've spent a day with this Chanel Les Exclusif, I think he's right on the money. To my mind Coromandel shares a DNA structure similar to Sheldrake's Sycomore with an oriental cloak wrapped around a patchouli frame instead of vetiver. It serves a patchouli embellished with a generous helping of vanilla, cinnamon, benzoin and what smells to me like chocolate, projecting a deliciously rich, sweetly airy sillage that might have scored higher had it not remind me rather strongly of Guerlain's oriental legend, Shalimar. So, low scores for originality but top marks for execution.

20th July, 2010

BayKAT's avatar
    BayKAT

I went out and read all the reviews on this before writing my own. i see most people like it, and I will not be disagreeing with them.

This is a nice smokey, benzoin tinged fragrance. Benzoin, to the unaware, wears a bit sweet, and this is what folks are referring to wiht their 'sweet' comments.

One thing that caught my eye was a review that this isn't selling well. I suspect I know why. As a piece of art this perfume is very lovely, but when placed in the Louvre it turns forgetable. i'm assuming that this is a genre that most folks want one, maybe two bottles of.

As an incense/benzoin i have Bois D'armenie, which is more complex than this. As a sweet woody i think Sonoma Scent's Winter Woods has the edge.

And so on for every aspect of this fragrance. in sum, a good scent when reviewed alone, an OK scent when reviewed against the competition.

09 June, 2010

epicurean's avatar
    epicurean

I agree completely with Limony: I hadn't realized just how much I liked patchouli -- or that I liked it at all -- until I came across this one. A luxurious scent featuring a main ingredient -- patchouli -- usually associated with all sorts of stuff, though usually not luxury. Pure opulence with a nod to the bohème.

07 May, 2010

Limony's avatar
    Limony

I didn't realise I liked patchouli until I smelled this. It's gorgeous - earthy, dusty, sweet, gentle but grown up. There aren't enough subtle beauties like this around; I didn't think oriental and subtle could share the same sentence.

12 April, 2010

Snafoo's avatar
    Snafoo

Perhaps Coromandel isn’t the best choice for my first fragrance review, but neither is it the worst. Not having owned a full bottle of it, we’re still not on familiar terms, but Coromandel is definitely a fragrance I’d like to visit on a regular basis. This one could have been named Egoiste Pour Femme (or perhaps Egoiste should have been named “ Coromandel Pour Homme”?), because I get a hint of a shared composition – on a tester strip, at least. On skin, however, the similarity is less obvious because the patchouli in Coromandel seems to come alive on my skin. But this is no one trick patch pony by any means – frankincense, amber and other spice notes provide an exotic Levantine richness, benzoin sweetens the deal, and a hint of chocolate pervades for the first hour or two. As the patchouli eventually recedes, its camphor remnant emerges for the end game. This is one of Chanel’s best; my only regret is that it doesn’t come in a mortal-size quantity – 200 mL is enough for several lifetimes of discrete use.

01st April, 2010