Reviews of Divin'enfant by Etat Libre d'Orange

Find out more about Divin'enfant by Etat Libre d'Orange in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

tempest moon's avatar

Naughty but nice...

Ok so this is where Etat Libre d'Orange starts to get it's reputation from, a "controversial" concept! Here they take the image of a child, using happy, childish, "innocent" notes: marshmallow, orange blossom, rose, soft musk, and combine them with "adult" or "grown-up" notes like tobacco, coffee and leather. However they blend (surprisingly) quite well!

It opens up with a very sweet and cool orange blossom. Very sweet, which is also the marshmallow note. Then it gets softer (but still stays very "sweet & innocent"). Then the cold tobacco and hints of coffee and leather come through, very soft and fluffy. In fact, this whole fragrance could be described as "soft and fluffy"! It's really nice!

I think if you are a gourmand lover you would appreciate this one, or if you like sweet scents. It's not too cloying but it wafts across the skin giving a wonderful aroma throughout the day, and it's quite pleasing. It's a very "happy" and soft fragrance, I don't see the controversy here. I think people who like sweet scents would like this one. To me, Etat Libre d'Orange is not as controversial as people say (or indeed as their own marketing tends to make out)! I find this quite wearable. If you like soft, sweet, "fluffy" types of scents, then you'll like this.

30th November, 2014

sjg3839's avatar

I like this one, but not buy a full bottle like. I really like the orange blossom and rose notes. The neroli note is very noticeable also. Nice summer and spring gem. 7.5/10

14th October, 2014

gimmegreen's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

A cloud of sweet – airy neroli muddled with the confectionary note of marshmallow. From this emerges the coffe-leather-tobacco thang which is supposed to be oh so bad baby. But the pervading sweetness gives it a flaccid, sickly aura. Like many Etat offerings, this too has radioactive longevity, the pump in its plastic heart refusing to give up the ghost. Like being stuck with someone who keeps repeating the one joke they know.

12th July, 2012

Lorien's avatar

Divin Enfant is becoming a favorite of mine.
    The fragrances by Etat Libre d'Orange have some racy/provocative names and packaging; and some folks dismiss the actual fragrances because of the silly marketing. However, I have learned by sampling, wearing and buying a few fragrances, that they are well-made and worthy of some attention by the perfume-buying public.
    Divin Enfant is a lovely, soft fragrance, which on my skin has above average longevity and moderate sillage. I've worn it in cold weather and in warmer weather and find it appropriate and enjoyable.
    Divin Enfant is radiant on my skin and feels rich and playful. DE is a lovely concoction of orange blossom, a marshmallow-mocha note, and some soft smoke and leather. I see it as completely unisex. It’s subtle but quite unusual and divine!
    It is a different fragrance, as is the norm for creations by ELdO, but I'm enjoying its progression.
    The sweetness of the top notes is nicely balanced by the bitter-sweet of the mid and base notes.
    True to the concept of the brand, there is a duality in this perfume; a blending of innocence and wickedness.
    Could it be any more clear? Look at the contrast of the notes:
    Innocence = orange blossom, marshmallow, rose / Decadence = Moka (coffee), leather, amber, musk, tobacco

07th April, 2012

adrienn99's avatar

marshmallow & tabacco. Very original and twisted as well :)

16th September, 2011

Harvitz81's avatar

Baby powder. That is all I get from this - for 8 hours plus. Very sweet opening with the orange blossom and florals, but really just smells like baby powder forever on me.

19th August, 2011

alfarom's avatar

In my opinion this is one of the most disappointing releases by the guys at ELDO. I can't say that this composition is completely unsuccessful but it's definitely way too sweet. Divin'Enfant opens with an interesting accord of coffee and orange blossoms that while it's pretty strident it still has some charme. It could do great on the A*Men / Angel / Lolita Lempicka axis if just it didn't suddendly evolve into a generic woody ambery drydown of very little interest. If you like overwhelming sweetness in your fragrance you could enjoy this, but let me tell you that you can have plenty of better options at half the price

05th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 05th August, 2011)

shamama's avatar

Marshmallow & diapers. Meh.

13th December, 2010

rickbr's avatar

Brazil Brazil

I expected more from this one. I imagined that i`d start innocent, delicate, and end in a dark, smoky, leathery base, but instead what i got is a big floral oriental on me.
    It`s not so distant from a mainstream fragrance of Jean Paul Gaultier. Divin Enfant has a great resemblance with Jean Paul Gaultier, due to the fact that both fragrances relies on woody honeyed amber and orange flower. The difference is that Divin Enfant adds more complexity to the game and increase the sweatness by putting a marshmalow note at the top that gives you a sugary aroma to the flower and amber accord. When it starts to develop, the scent goes in a soft suede and creamy mocha direction, nothing so dark or daring.
    It`s not bad, but it`s not great either. A strange creature, that doesn`t seem childish or divine.

25th October, 2010

Doctor Mod's avatar

If fragrance can be said to have a "shape," then Divin' Enfant can readily be called a shape-shifter. One certainly can't accuse it of being linear. One problem, though: after testing it a half dozen times, one still can't be sure what "shape" it will be when it emerges from the bottle.

This was not a purchase I had intended. Rather, an eBay seller had listed several largish Perfumed Court niche decants as a lot, and as I badly wanted one of them, I bid for (and won) the whole group. There is some quality in the whole self-mythology surrounding Etat Libre d'Orange that I find off-putting (if nonetheless fascinating), and I can make the same observation about the few other ELdO scents I've sampled. Every time I wear one of them, I simultaneous like and dislike it, and all the while find it difficult to define exactly what I'm smelling. Such is the perversity of Antoine Lie, creator of the notorious Sécrétions Magnifiques, and I'm not surprised to see that he's the nose behind Divin' Enfant.

I completely understand the conflicting and self-conflicting remarks by the previous reviewers. Divin' Enfant can feel like a heavy oriental fragrance, can come on with the sweetness of the orange blossom or rose, get musky and murky, shift into a glowing amber scent, then turn into a bitter, skanky leather fragrance. I can't really say that this kaleidoscope of notes actually works together; rather, the different elements all seem to fight each other for control.

It is difficult, too, to make any concrete observations about its sillage and longevity. On the average, it lasts about four hours, during which time its sillage fluctuates considerably. It seems to go away entirely, then comes back to slap you in the face when you least expect it.

There is nothing divine or infant-like about Divin' Enfant. As I've said, there are aspects of the fragrance that I find very compelling (i.e., the orange blossom and the amber), but there are so many--including its thick oiliness on the skin--that I find sufficiently unlikeable to eliminate DE from any further consideration.

Given the volatility of the fragrance, though, I can actually imagine it working quite nicely for others.

22nd August, 2010

Kaern's avatar

The great switcheroo. Starts off with a lovely neroli and rose mixture and gradually turns into a screaming sweet leather monster. Antoine Lie is an alchemist. Not sure about the finish here -- I wish it had gone in another direction really.

21st July, 2009

Somerville Metro Man's avatar

Etat Libre D'Orange Divin' Enfant

Antoine Lie has done two of my favorite Etat Libre D'Orange scents to date, Rossy de Palma and Vierges et Toreros. Both of those scents are very different and I was looking forward to see what M. Lie would do with a note list of: orange blossom, marshmallow, rose, mocha, leather, amber, musk, and tobacco. With a roster like that you would probably think gourmand but this 2006 scent doesn't come off like that on me. The top is the floral sweetness of orange blossom combined with the marshmallow note. This is that slightly sweet, slightly doughy note you get when you open the bag of marshmallows for the first time. It is that doughiness that keeps this from being too sweet. The sweet nature begins to modulate in the heart as the chocolate-coffee mocha note along with rose and a sweet amber keep this sweet. The coffee note is evenly balanced with both the rose and amber which keeps this from feeling like a coffee centered scent on me. Finally in the base the sweetness centers around the smell of leather and tobacco leaf combined with a deep musk. Divin' Enfant is a tone poem of sweet on my skin from the intensity of the top to a more restrained level in the base to a sweetness paired with animalic notes in the base. When I want something sweet that won't cause my insulin level to rise this is the style of scent I'm looking for.

11th April, 2009

bbBD's avatar

There's something else this reminds of - strongly - and for the life of me I can't place it. The top is a bit sweet, but it soon settles down into a particularly aromatic woody/coffee accord. I don't find it to be gourmand at all, but pleasantly aromatic. It sweetens up when in its final development with an amberish base.

Nothing wrong with Divine Enfante, but there's nothing daring either. If the quality of the materials and strength of the oil wasn't so good, this would be indistinguishable from a designer release. However if you need an inoffensive, high-quality fragrance this isn't a bad choice.

16th December, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

Neroli with a sweet musky base and a touch of leather tanning fluids. Smells a little like a coffee gourmand at times. Not bad.

05th October, 2008

baubo's avatar

I had a fragrance blotter of this on my bedside table, for days (or nights) I caught neroli with a subtle but distinct leather note. It charmed and intrigued to the extent I must try it on my skin.

08th April, 2008

Amberflash's avatar

Sickenly sweet top notes with leather and tobacco on the drydown. Does what it says on the tin (cute baby becomes frustrating tyrant), but can't say I'd ever want to wear it....

15th January, 2008

tigrushka's avatar

Finland Finland

DE starts with a bright, strong orange blossom note and then turns gourmand with a capital G. This "spoiled child" is throwing his tantrums in a café where the long-suffering parents try to enjoy their coffees while stuffing the little monster with cakes and pastries...

10th January, 2008

moon_fish's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Well, I got not only fleurdorange scent used to calm down French kids.
    I got also coffee-gourmand note which is rather good, and great sillage - leather, tobacco and amber.
    Strange scent in gourmand area.
    Gourmand leather?
    Robinson Crusoe or Charlie Chaplin eating his boots? ;)

19th June, 2007

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Orange blossom. End of story. Not fresh flowers but the perfumey scent of orange blossom water used in pastries. Powdery and sweet enough to give you cavities. I shouldn't like it but I do.

15th February, 2007