Positive Reviews of Divin'enfant by Etat Libre d'Orange

Find out more about Divin'enfant by Etat Libre d'Orange in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Lorien's avatar

Divin Enfant is becoming a favorite of mine.
    The fragrances by Etat Libre d'Orange have some racy/provocative names and packaging; and some folks dismiss the actual fragrances because of the silly marketing. However, I have learned by sampling, wearing and buying a few fragrances, that they are well-made and worthy of some attention by the perfume-buying public.
    Divin Enfant is a lovely, soft fragrance, which on my skin has above average longevity and moderate sillage. I've worn it in cold weather and in warmer weather and find it appropriate and enjoyable.
    Divin Enfant is radiant on my skin and feels rich and playful. DE is a lovely concoction of orange blossom, a marshmallow-mocha note, and some soft smoke and leather. I see it as completely unisex. It’s subtle but quite unusual and divine!
    It is a different fragrance, as is the norm for creations by ELdO, but I'm enjoying its progression.
    The sweetness of the top notes is nicely balanced by the bitter-sweet of the mid and base notes.
    True to the concept of the brand, there is a duality in this perfume; a blending of innocence and wickedness.
    Could it be any more clear? Look at the contrast of the notes:
    Innocence = orange blossom, marshmallow, rose / Decadence = Moka (coffee), leather, amber, musk, tobacco

07 April, 2012

adrienn99's avatar

marshmallow & tabacco. Very original and twisted as well :)

16 September, 2011

Somerville Metro Man's avatar

Etat Libre D'Orange Divin' Enfant

Antoine Lie has done two of my favorite Etat Libre D'Orange scents to date, Rossy de Palma and Vierges et Toreros. Both of those scents are very different and I was looking forward to see what M. Lie would do with a note list of: orange blossom, marshmallow, rose, mocha, leather, amber, musk, and tobacco. With a roster like that you would probably think gourmand but this 2006 scent doesn't come off like that on me. The top is the floral sweetness of orange blossom combined with the marshmallow note. This is that slightly sweet, slightly doughy note you get when you open the bag of marshmallows for the first time. It is that doughiness that keeps this from being too sweet. The sweet nature begins to modulate in the heart as the chocolate-coffee mocha note along with rose and a sweet amber keep this sweet. The coffee note is evenly balanced with both the rose and amber which keeps this from feeling like a coffee centered scent on me. Finally in the base the sweetness centers around the smell of leather and tobacco leaf combined with a deep musk. Divin' Enfant is a tone poem of sweet on my skin from the intensity of the top to a more restrained level in the base to a sweetness paired with animalic notes in the base. When I want something sweet that won't cause my insulin level to rise this is the style of scent I'm looking for.

11th April, 2009

bbBD's avatar

There's something else this reminds of - strongly - and for the life of me I can't place it. The top is a bit sweet, but it soon settles down into a particularly aromatic woody/coffee accord. I don't find it to be gourmand at all, but pleasantly aromatic. It sweetens up when in its final development with an amberish base.

Nothing wrong with Divine Enfante, but there's nothing daring either. If the quality of the materials and strength of the oil wasn't so good, this would be indistinguishable from a designer release. However if you need an inoffensive, high-quality fragrance this isn't a bad choice.

16 December, 2008

baubo's avatar

I had a fragrance blotter of this on my bedside table, for days (or nights) I caught neroli with a subtle but distinct leather note. It charmed and intrigued to the extent I must try it on my skin.

08 April, 2008

tigrushka's avatar

Finland Finland

DE starts with a bright, strong orange blossom note and then turns gourmand with a capital G. This "spoiled child" is throwing his tantrums in a café where the long-suffering parents try to enjoy their coffees while stuffing the little monster with cakes and pastries...

10th January, 2008

moon_fish's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Well, I got not only fleurdorange scent used to calm down French kids.
    I got also coffee-gourmand note which is rather good, and great sillage - leather, tobacco and amber.
    Strange scent in gourmand area.
    Gourmand leather?
    Robinson Crusoe or Charlie Chaplin eating his boots? ;)

19 June, 2007