Reviews of Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange

Find out more about Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Leather

Jasmine et Cigarette is a pleasant surprise among Etat Libre d’Orange’s jokily named and occasionally banal fragrances. The topnotes are unpromising: unadulterated isopropyl alcohol. Once that blows over there’s a perfectly pleasant, (if rather chemical,) soapy green jasmine that tools along unaltered for at least a solid hour.

The cigarette comes later, in the form of a semi-sweet hay-and-tobacco accord that adds welcome warmth and depth to the otherwise dangerously two-dimensional jasmine. Given some of the brand’s other olfactory whoopee cushion effects, I half expected a fetid indolic sucker punch somewhere along the way, but the perfumer avoids adolescent temptation and it never arrives. The clean musk and cedar drydown is unfortunately barren, and seems so by dint of insufficient funds, not artistic intent.

I really like the idea of Jasmine et Cigarette, and Etat Libre d’Orange’s name is, for once, accurate. I only wish the concept had been executed with more finesse: a higher quality jasmine note, a smokier tobacco, a more substantial drydown. As it is I find the scent interesting, but just short of compelling.

18 June, 2014

ClaireV's avatar

Ireland Ireland

I used to smoke heavily and although it's been years since I gave up, I still get a contact high from someone lighting up a cigarette near me - I love that acrid, choking smell, and often ask friends to blow smoke in my direction - weird, I know! I thought that this would be right down my alley, but alas, the cigarette element is not the fresh smoke coming from a lit cigarette but the ashy, stale stench that sinks into your clothes and that you can smell after a big night out in the clubs. The winter season after I quit smoking, I pulled out my winter clothes from their boxes, and was assailed by a wall of smell, the stench of stale smoke that had lain dormant in my clothes since I had last put them away (obviously, in a house infected with smoke at the time). This is what the cigarette element here reminds me of. I say unfortunately, because if someone someday figures out how to reproduce the smell of fresh cigarette smoke, I am SO there.

The older I get, the more I question the time and place where I would wear a scent. I try to fit the scent into my life as it is nowadays rather than try to fit my life into a fantasy I have based on a scent. This would have been a brilliant clubbing perfume for me when I was in my early twenties and going out almost every night in Dublin before the smoking ban came in. Last night, I put on this scent from a sample, and crept into bed beside my five month old daughter, and as she rolled into my side for a feed, the cigarette smell suddenly felt all wrong. I am not saying I should smell like vanilla and fluffy clouds all the time, just because I am a mother (God knows, I love me some Rien from the same line and that is not a pussy cat scent). But for me, the time and the place for this perfume has come and gone.

But do let me say this - I admire the hell out of ELDO guys for doing stuff like this. It is a daring, complex and well-handled scent, and is probably one of their top five scents. This one is not for me, but there are quite a few that I love from this line, and as a whole, I think these guys are artists.

07 May, 2014

Francolino's avatar

Heavy Metal Jazzmine

got it at half the price and even those 45€ were thrown to the wind. All I got is synthetic jasmine and other florals... some other chemicals for a metallic afterglow...my opinion might be biased but from all the different goes I had at testing ELdO's in different shops at different times is this house all about chemical hype??!

Pros: original
    Cons: synthetic to the bone, low sillage and longevity"

25 October, 2013

Jeszra's avatar

When pressing my nose down to my arm to take a deep breath of this fragrance I can almost feel the smoke rolling in the back of my throat. The jasmine and apricot manage to take cigarette smoke and turn it into something beautiful. It becomes perhaps a little to sweet at points and I tend to prefer my tobacco in the cherry pipe tobacco arena like Tobacco Vanille. It's an interesting and beautiful fragrance but not something I'd buy in a full bottle unless I picked up smoking.

edit: changed my mind. It's a freak and I like it. It wouldn't be my first choice for a jasmine but I might still end up getting a full bottle of this down the road or at least a good sized sample to use occasionally.

17 March, 2013 (Last Edited: 18 March, 2013)

nosyneighbor's avatar

This perfume is less simple than it seems. The hay does not introduce a tobacco note, but it rather pushes the jasmine into the green animal if scent of narcissus with a touch of apricot to sweeten the indoles. Then you get a musky skin scent that creates a floral bouquet with the different qualities of jasmine, giving you a not quite soliflore. The apricot with the tea-like qualities of jasmine are almost like osmanthus. Then the "cigarette" part is a cool used metal ashtray smell that on my skin is bitter like aspirin, evoking the soapy qualities of jasmine and bringing to mind another of this perfumer's creations for this line: Antiheros. The name and the notes can fool you until you spend time with this scent.

22 February, 2013

's avatar

Forget the associations with husky bar-hound chain smokers-- JeC evokes nothing of the sort. Warm and uplifting, this fragrance should be worn while spinning in circles and singing "The Hills are Alive."

18 January, 2013

odysseusm's avatar

A green floral - and an old metal ashtray.
    Lively and yet stale.
    Hint of a brown-sugar amber note as it develops.
    It isn't a terrible scent, but it does nothing for me.

12 December, 2012

teardrop's avatar

England England

On me this opens as a soft but slightly animalic jasmine, with musky undertones. The dirtiness recedes very quickly, but then then l get an impression of the "bad breath" note that l got from Lust, albeit with the volume turned right down. One hour in, the tonka begins to sweeten it all up, before it fades to a retro-style jasmine-amber base. The projection is low, & it's pretty much gone after four hours.
    On the whole l don't dislike this fragrance, but l was expecting something much more edgy & dark than what l got. There is certainly nothing resembling tobacco or even ashtrays here, to my nose, which is a bit disappointing.

21st November, 2012

SusyQ's avatar

Sweden Sweden

The "cigarette"-part was the reason I sampled this, unfortunately this is all about jasmine and apricot. Since I'm not particularly into any of these two notes, this scent doesn't really touch me.
    After the initial dry down though, you can indeed notice a waft of cigarettes, but it's not actually smokey like for example Mona di Orio's Les Nombre d'Or Cuir, Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather, or Tauer's Lonestar memories, not even like the polite and wellbehaved smoke in Keiko Mecheri's Cuir fauve. This scent is more like the I-have-just-been-outside-smoking-aura that you can register when you hug someone at a party; a person with a rather boring fruity-floral perfume.

IOW: if you like fruity-florals and are looking for one with a (very, very) little twist - this might be something for you. If you like smokey scents - you won't find what you're looking for here.

09 October, 2012

Alityke's avatar

I get only a fun slightly fizzy jasmine from this. I pick the burnt frying pan handle mote that I get from jasmine blossoms so very realistic but I do not get even a hint of tobacco never mind the tang of fag ash which was promised and may have made this more interesting.

A very pretty summer scent lackingin longevity. Little sillage. An intimate skin scent on me

04 February, 2012

Ognyez's avatar

I believe that with this one it's all about cautious application. Dabbed on slightly it is refreshing, but put on a little too much and you end up smelling not like the moment one opens a pack of expensive cigarettes, but like an ashtray. I like the somewhat timid jasmine in this, never overpowering or indolic.

08 January, 2012

Harvitz81's avatar

This one opens with a very strong ashtray/cigarette smell. Very authentic, but not something for anyone expecting to get a straight tobacco smell. This, however, lasts for a few minutes max before subtly fading into the background of jasmine. Some slight muskier accords later on, but this one pretty much lives up to its name.

25 July, 2011

sturtledotcom's avatar

I was hoping to love this -- I'm drawn to other fragrances with hay, musk, and tobacco, so Jasmin et Cigarette seemed right up my alley.

Unfortunately, the top note was straight-up dime store jasmine hand lotion -- about as unisex as a Wonderbra. I was hoping for something darker and more decadent, as the name implied, but it wasn't to be. During the drydown, there was a little amber somethingorother that tried to redeem it, but for me, it was too little, too late.

11th April, 2011

alfarom's avatar

The opening is a floral / fruity buquet that has an acidic feel similar to a fruit salad left marinating for a whole day with a little sugar. In the drydown things get a little better with a shy note of tobacco recalling more of a tobacco leaf than an ashtray. Nothing spectacular or particularly interesting. I was so curious about this fragrance as I loved the concept behind it but, honestly, I expected something more challenging and uncompromising. All I got is an ok scent with a moderate sillage and no more than reasonable lasting power.

09 April, 2011

Bigsly's avatar

Because I avoid top notes as much as possible I must have missed the "ashtray" quality. I didn't like it at all (bitter) and basically just ignored it (just did a little wrist dab). However, I'm writing this to mention that if you want a fragrance with a jasmine ashtray accord that lasts a very long time, sample Escada Collection.

29 March, 2011

WildThingy's avatar

Cyprus Cyprus

A bit kinky, some jasmine, some tar, some tobacco. It is pleasing and disturbing the same time. Never smelled it on a smoker, that would be fun! On the long run, say over hours the scent lacks development. But, the overall impression remains that it is some peculiar, well done piece of perfumery. I really would like to smell it more often on women, just for the fun of it.

06 March, 2011

TwoWordReviews's avatar

Jasmine. Ashtray.

For such a straightforward scent, it's surprisingly tough to review. It contains jasmine. Duh. It contains cigarette smoke. Duh. It smells like jasmine and cigarettes. Right. I'm sure I haven't lost anyone so far ...

And yet it's different than that. The jasmine is somehow more electric, more vibrant than your everyday jasmine. It's like jasmine with supercharged violet. The cigarette is somehow more worn, more skanky, than your everyday tobacco scent. It's not like the cigarette you're smoking now but more like the ashtray scent that remains from the cigarettes you smoked several nights ago while knocking back whiskey shots with friends. It's a very positive, uplifting jasmine with a very aged, very used cigarette. It evokes someone whose better days are in the past but who still knows how to give today their best shot.

For those looking for a floral scent with a dirty edge, this may be the one. For those who simply like floral, stay well clear of it. Definitely a sample-first scent.

28 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 14 April, 2011)

lpr's avatar

Brazil Brazil

"Coco chanel smoking herself to death in a nursing home"

Thats the only way I can describe this incredibly NAUSEATING perfume.
    I'm usually very tolerant to fragrances even if they have top notes I don't enjoy and I try to fight through it to give it a fair chance.

For some reason I couldn't for the life of me resist scrubbing my arm with brillo to take this off. Maybe its my skin or my nose but I'm glad I got a sample and not the full bottle.

Tobacco and Jasmine didn't mix well in this particular blend.

22 February, 2011

Oaksbluff's avatar

Truth in advertising award for this one.

Starts out with a lovely jasmine, not terribly indolic to my nose, instead very clean and feminine. Cigarette comes on not as heavy-handed as I'd like. If it did, I'd buy this in a rapid hearbeat. Another reviewer likens this phase to hay, and I'll agree with that. It's more a light roller tobacco than a Marlboro. At this stage, I'd be inclined to say that I want for more skank, but that's not what this scent is about. Rather it is a tightly refined study in contrasts, closer to the center of opposites than at polar ends.

Overall, another winner from ELDO. It stays pretty linear, but hey, with these two stars, that's the reason you're wearing it.

19 January, 2011

Lian's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

A very nice variation on jasmine, the jasmine reminds me of the type found in Thé Pour un Été. The two fragrances are pretty alike and the difference lies in the tea vs tabacco note. I think the L'Artisan is nice during summer days and the Etat libre one would be a nice one to wear when it gets a bit colder or you want your perfume to have a bit more depth.

26 December, 2010

jtd's avatar

The name says it all. What you smell is jasmine and tobacco, but what takes you there is interesting. The jasmine is clean and a bit green, not indolic, and is reinforced by a light cedar. I take the tobacco note to be tobacco with coumarin, giving a hay-like scent. These 3 elements give the same honeyed gorgeousness of the fresh, moist Dutch blonde cigarette tobacco used to roll your own. It made me want to take up smoking again. I know the ‘cigarette’ in this fragrance is often said to be more of a pipe or that the tobacco is smoke, but I definitely see it as freshly packaged, unsmoked blonde cigarette tobacco. The jasmine and the tobacco hold together quite well and do a fairly linear dance with each other through the drydown. Linear works here as you catch different parts of the elements coming together in different ways all the time: jasmine and cedar, tobacco and tonka, jasmine and hay, but usually just the lovely jasmin et cigarette.

29 November, 2010 (Last Edited: 04 April, 2011)

mumsy's avatar

A quiet blossom, soft and pure then goes muskyish. I quite liked this one but it didn't last long enough. Not much after just half an hour. I would have liked this to be more forceful than it is. I wanted more of it, but I would wear this on a hot day.

12 August, 2010

ExtremeK's avatar

I love jasmine (A La Nuit, Sarrasins). I love tobacco notes (Fumerie Turque, Chergui, Pipe Tobacco Accord). I love jasmine and tobacco together. (Just try layering a dab of A La Nuit on top of Fumerie Turque -- to die for.) In fact, individually, each of the notes for Jasmin et Cigarette is included among my favorites.

Together, though ... ugh. I get about 1 minute of a very nice jasmine, and then ... nothing but new vinyl shower curtain. Maybe there's something synthetic about the jasmine or the cedar. I would point to orange blossom as the culprit (every now and then I have a bad chemistry day with SL Fleurs d'Oranger and also get the new vinyl shower curtain effect), but there's no orange blossom listed among the notes.

I'm stumped. I want to like it. Can't like it. Don't want to smell like vinyl.

09 July, 2010

merry.waters's avatar

Egypt Egypt

The start of this is resembles a sharp glue. It dries down to a cheap functional "jasmine". After a while the whole thing reveals some warmer notes of may be hay. It has the same synthetic quality that an other sample has, EDLO Fat Electrician.

In my opinion it is a party gag. "Don't Get Me Wrong", I'm not to austere on perfume. I really would like to like it more! But price and availability do not match to what it is. Neutral because it doesn't seem worse to other frags that are around.

10th February, 2010

Stereotomy's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Oh I like. I own L'Occitane's Thé Vert au Jasmin, and Etat's Jasmin et Cigarette is the more mature, more indolic, slightly sweeter, slightly more oriental version of the L'Occitane.

The jasmin used in Jasmin et Cigarette is the indolic kind, so you might smell a bit poopy at first. The drydown is very, very nice. The scent becomes warm (instead of cool, which is the case with the L'Occitane), and the indolic part retreats a bit to make way for the sweet tobacco accord and the soft, powdery jasmin.

Not bad at all. Longevity is poor, sillage is okay.

23 January, 2010

peevish_yolk's avatar

Serbia Serbia

Although she knows that I hate the rhetorical questions, an older female friend of mine asked me a few days back “Which woman could love her husband after 20 years of marriage?”
    This scent is like a marriage between jasmine and tobacco; the marriage which has its good and bad moments. Well, a marriage like any other marriage, someone could say…
    The main problem is that I cannot see the flame of passion in this wedlock; it is more like a habit of the concomitant life. That could be nice to someone, but it is not really excitement.
    What would the Western Civilization recommend to this couple? You must visit a marriage counsellor. What would the Eastern Civilization recommend to this couple? The happiness is overrated category; be patient and lenient. What would I say? Etat Libre d’Orange scents should provoke either love or hate; so the biggest punishment for some of their scents is to be neutral. OK, I am neutral about this one.

12 November, 2009

ubuandibeme's avatar

Dad used to smoke a pipe when I was a wee little tyke...he kept his 'pipe collection' in a wooden display sort of holder. They were gorgeously carved wooden pieces of art to my little eyes. I used to pick them up, and visually admire them. Then, as a small child would do, I'd put one in my mouth and pretend to smoke it just like my father! It did'nt quite smell the same as when he lit it and puffed, so I'd put my nose into the opening where the tobacco goes. THIS is what the cigarette part of Jasmin et Cigarette smells like! The remnants of already smoked sweet pipe tobacco - and it's amazing! When I first sampled this scent, my expectations were at about zero. Never in a million years did I ever expect to purchase a full bottle - but I did! The jasmin here is perfectly paired with the ashen & smokey tobacco, lightly sweetened with notes of hay and apricot. The blend is fantastic, a real work of art. Quality ingredients, craftsmanship and the finished product is not only one of a kind - it is completely wearable! Thumbs up, without hesitation!

05 November, 2009

Somerville Metro Man's avatar

Etat Libre D'Orange Jasmin et Cigarette

In the annals of perfect combinations I'm pretty sure that jasmine and cigarettes are not high up on that list. Which makes what Antoine Maisondieu has executed with his 2006 release for Etat Libre D'Orange, Jasmin et Cigarette; all the more impressive. There are a few scents out there that do wonders with the cigarette note; Hilde Soiliani Bell' Antonio is a good example. There are many more jasmine fragrances which use the note to good intent. I personally find jasmine to be one of my favorite florals because while it has some sweet aspects to it it also has a less floral aspect that appeals to me. In Jasmin et Cigarette M. Maisondieu accentuates that less floral aspect of jasmine and in combination with the raw tobacco accord creates a quite lovely fragrance. The top has that smell of a cigarette just after the match has lit it; that contrast of sweet tobacco and smoke. This accord is very evocative. The heart is the jasmine and its first appearance is as the slightly sweet floral but the deeper aspects of the note make their presence known and they are what linger along with the tobacco. This interplay is long-lasting and surprisingly interesting, on me. After a long time the base shows as a mix of cedar, amber and musk. This adds a warmth and an almost post-prandial feeling to contrast the beginning phase of Jasmin et Cigarette. Jasmin et Cigarette has above average longevity and average sillage. Jasmin et Cigarette might not be as perfect a combination as peanut butter and jelly but, as a perfume, its pretty close.

31st October, 2009

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Etat Libre d'Orange is a little quirky and very interesting. it's almost like they don't care too much what people think - take it or leave it !
    The name may put people off and maybe reading that there is tumeric in it . Well when I first put this on - I got sweet floral Jasmine - a really good jasmine actually with a hint of zing from the tobacco. The tabacco is not very strong at all- it remains a mere hint throughout and if I really really put my mind to it- yes, there is a slight suggestion of 'ashtray' but don't let that put you off !
    The tumeric is not to be feared either - I think it's in there for edge .
    All in all this is a pretty jasmine perfume with that naughty edge to it. For sinners ! It's quite delicious even - with the apricot /tonka bean notes .
    Absolutely nothing to fear !
    A good one !

08 October, 2009

Morgaine's avatar

Let me start of by saying that I dislike the puerile gimmicky-ness of both EldO's marketing and scents. That said, JeC is an example of where an unusual pairing of notes actually *works* as a personal fragrance. Yes, it basically smells like a jasmine bud in an ashtray, but this is also a scent that paints a picture. It's what a film noir actress would smell like: her heady floral perfume mixed with the lingering scent of tobacco on her fingers.
    I kept going back and forth on this one, but I declare it wearable. Proceed with caution, though, YMMV.

04 September, 2009