Neutral Reviews of Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange

Find out more about Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Colin Maillard's avatar

Either I am getting old, or I am afraid most people only "think" they're smelling tobacco because of the name. Because I smell clearly no tobacco in here, or at least, not enough to justify its presence in the pyramid. Paying attention, you only get a subtle (I mean it: subtle) whiff of tobacco leaves after quite a while. What I smell for hours is basically only the "jasmine part". This said, back to the opening: a nice, fresh, desperately synthetic white jasmine note, soft and fairly powdery but also almost zesty (on the linalool/floor cleaner side), on a woody-vanillin base. Not much else, and almost no evolution except for a slight "sweetening", which may also be due to the emerging of that subtle tobacco note, which adds this dusty, humid, sweet leafy feel. Pale and plastic like a freezer bag, but somehow pleasant with its faint and foggy allure. For me Etat Libre d'Orange is one of those brands for which "Phew, they could have done worse" is a compliment, so... nice job here.

12th September, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Leather

Jasmine et Cigarette is a pleasant surprise among Etat Libre d’Orange’s jokily named and occasionally banal fragrances. The topnotes are unpromising: unadulterated isopropyl alcohol. Once that blows over there’s a perfectly pleasant, (if rather chemical,) soapy green jasmine that tools along unaltered for at least a solid hour.

The cigarette comes later, in the form of a semi-sweet hay-and-tobacco accord that adds welcome warmth and depth to the otherwise dangerously two-dimensional jasmine. Given some of the brand’s other olfactory whoopee cushion effects, I half expected a fetid indolic sucker punch somewhere along the way, but the perfumer avoids adolescent temptation and it never arrives. The clean musk and cedar drydown is unfortunately barren, and seems so by dint of insufficient funds, not artistic intent.

I really like the idea of Jasmine et Cigarette, and Etat Libre d’Orange’s name is, for once, accurate. I only wish the concept had been executed with more finesse: a higher quality jasmine note, a smokier tobacco, a more substantial drydown. As it is I find the scent interesting, but just short of compelling.

18th June, 2014

ClaireV's avatar

Ireland Ireland

I used to smoke heavily and although it's been years since I gave up, I still get a contact high from someone lighting up a cigarette near me - I love that acrid, choking smell, and often ask friends to blow smoke in my direction - weird, I know! I thought that this would be right down my alley, but alas, the cigarette element is not the fresh smoke coming from a lit cigarette but the ashy, stale stench that sinks into your clothes and that you can smell after a big night out in the clubs. The winter season after I quit smoking, I pulled out my winter clothes from their boxes, and was assailed by a wall of smell, the stench of stale smoke that had lain dormant in my clothes since I had last put them away (obviously, in a house infected with smoke at the time). This is what the cigarette element here reminds me of. I say unfortunately, because if someone someday figures out how to reproduce the smell of fresh cigarette smoke, I am SO there.

The older I get, the more I question the time and place where I would wear a scent. I try to fit the scent into my life as it is nowadays rather than try to fit my life into a fantasy I have based on a scent. This would have been a brilliant clubbing perfume for me when I was in my early twenties and going out almost every night in Dublin before the smoking ban came in. Last night, I put on this scent from a sample, and crept into bed beside my five month old daughter, and as she rolled into my side for a feed, the cigarette smell suddenly felt all wrong. I am not saying I should smell like vanilla and fluffy clouds all the time, just because I am a mother (God knows, I love me some Rien from the same line and that is not a pussy cat scent). But for me, the time and the place for this perfume has come and gone.

But do let me say this - I admire the hell out of ELDO guys for doing stuff like this. It is a daring, complex and well-handled scent, and is probably one of their top five scents. This one is not for me, but there are quite a few that I love from this line, and as a whole, I think these guys are artists.

07th May, 2014

odysseusm's avatar

A green floral - and an old metal ashtray.
    Lively and yet stale.
    Hint of a brown-sugar amber note as it develops.
    It isn't a terrible scent, but it does nothing for me.

12th December, 2012

teardrop's avatar

England England

On me this opens as a soft but slightly animalic jasmine, with musky undertones. The dirtiness recedes very quickly, but then then l get an impression of the "bad breath" note that l got from Lust, albeit with the volume turned right down. One hour in, the tonka begins to sweeten it all up, before it fades to a retro-style jasmine-amber base. The projection is low, & it's pretty much gone after four hours.
    On the whole l don't dislike this fragrance, but l was expecting something much more edgy & dark than what l got. There is certainly nothing resembling tobacco or even ashtrays here, to my nose, which is a bit disappointing.

21st November, 2012

SusyQ's avatar

Sweden Sweden

The "cigarette"-part was the reason I sampled this, unfortunately this is all about jasmine and apricot. Since I'm not particularly into any of these two notes, this scent doesn't really touch me.
    After the initial dry down though, you can indeed notice a waft of cigarettes, but it's not actually smokey like for example Mona di Orio's Les Nombre d'Or Cuir, Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather, or Tauer's Lonestar memories, not even like the polite and wellbehaved smoke in Keiko Mecheri's Cuir fauve. This scent is more like the I-have-just-been-outside-smoking-aura that you can register when you hug someone at a party; a person with a rather boring fruity-floral perfume.

IOW: if you like fruity-florals and are looking for one with a (very, very) little twist - this might be something for you. If you like smokey scents - you won't find what you're looking for here.

09th October, 2012

Harvitz81's avatar

This one opens with a very strong ashtray/cigarette smell. Very authentic, but not something for anyone expecting to get a straight tobacco smell. This, however, lasts for a few minutes max before subtly fading into the background of jasmine. Some slight muskier accords later on, but this one pretty much lives up to its name.

25th July, 2011

sturtledotcom's avatar

I was hoping to love this -- I'm drawn to other fragrances with hay, musk, and tobacco, so Jasmin et Cigarette seemed right up my alley.

Unfortunately, the top note was straight-up dime store jasmine hand lotion -- about as unisex as a Wonderbra. I was hoping for something darker and more decadent, as the name implied, but it wasn't to be. During the drydown, there was a little amber somethingorother that tried to redeem it, but for me, it was too little, too late.

11th April, 2011

alfarom's avatar

The opening is a floral / fruity buquet that has an acidic feel similar to a fruit salad left marinating for a whole day with a little sugar. In the drydown things get a little better with a shy note of tobacco recalling more of a tobacco leaf than an ashtray. Nothing spectacular or particularly interesting. I was so curious about this fragrance as I loved the concept behind it but, honestly, I expected something more challenging and uncompromising. All I got is an ok scent with a moderate sillage and no more than reasonable lasting power.

09th April, 2011

Bigsly's avatar

Because I avoid top notes as much as possible I must have missed the "ashtray" quality. I didn't like it at all (bitter) and basically just ignored it (just did a little wrist dab). However, I'm writing this to mention that if you want a fragrance with a jasmine ashtray accord that lasts a very long time, sample Escada Collection.

29th March, 2011

TwoWordReviews's avatar

Jasmine. Ashtray.

For such a straightforward scent, it's surprisingly tough to review. It contains jasmine. Duh. It contains cigarette smoke. Duh. It smells like jasmine and cigarettes. Right. I'm sure I haven't lost anyone so far ...

And yet it's different than that. The jasmine is somehow more electric, more vibrant than your everyday jasmine. It's like jasmine with supercharged violet. The cigarette is somehow more worn, more skanky, than your everyday tobacco scent. It's not like the cigarette you're smoking now but more like the ashtray scent that remains from the cigarettes you smoked several nights ago while knocking back whiskey shots with friends. It's a very positive, uplifting jasmine with a very aged, very used cigarette. It evokes someone whose better days are in the past but who still knows how to give today their best shot.

For those looking for a floral scent with a dirty edge, this may be the one. For those who simply like floral, stay well clear of it. Definitely a sample-first scent.

28th February, 2011 (Last Edited: 14th April, 2011)

merry.waters's avatar

Egypt Egypt

The start of this is resembles a sharp glue. It dries down to a cheap functional "jasmine". After a while the whole thing reveals some warmer notes of may be hay. It has the same synthetic quality that an other sample has, EDLO Fat Electrician.

In my opinion it is a party gag. "Don't Get Me Wrong", I'm not to austere on perfume. I really would like to like it more! But price and availability do not match to what it is. Neutral because it doesn't seem worse to other frags that are around.

10th February, 2010

peevish_yolk's avatar

Serbia Serbia

Although she knows that I hate the rhetorical questions, an older female friend of mine asked me a few days back “Which woman could love her husband after 20 years of marriage?”
    This scent is like a marriage between jasmine and tobacco; the marriage which has its good and bad moments. Well, a marriage like any other marriage, someone could say…
    The main problem is that I cannot see the flame of passion in this wedlock; it is more like a habit of the concomitant life. That could be nice to someone, but it is not really excitement.
    What would the Western Civilization recommend to this couple? You must visit a marriage counsellor. What would the Eastern Civilization recommend to this couple? The happiness is overrated category; be patient and lenient. What would I say? Etat Libre d’Orange scents should provoke either love or hate; so the biggest punishment for some of their scents is to be neutral. OK, I am neutral about this one.

12th November, 2009

JessicaGrace's avatar

Yup. Smells like jasmine -- perfume, not flower -- and cigarettes. The tobacco notes perform the interesting trick of starting out as fresh tobacco in the top, unsmoked cigarettes in the heart, and cold ashtray in the bottom. The life-cycle of the cigarette in olfactory narrative form. Neat. But I don't want to spend the rest of the day smelling like an ashtray. I'll give a neutral for being entertaining, but as far as wearability goes, it's a big, fat NO.

10th July, 2009

lovethescents's avatar

Hungary Hungary

Very interesting. Of all tobacco scents I've sniffed, this is by far the most reminiscent of dirty ashtrays, mixed with strong jasmine. Not terrible, might be appropriate for when frequenting strip clubs

06th November, 2008

tina_muc's avatar

Germany Germany

After all the buzz about ELdO I managed to test Jasmin et Cigarette yesterday. I think it's a very nice and interesting scent, I really liked the combination of jasmine and the smoky tobacco note. Unfortunately it didn't last very long on my skin.

02nd February, 2007