Reviews of Alahine by Téo Cabanel

Alahine is a lovely floral oriental with its emphasis leaning heavily on its ambery base, which billows up with pleasantly resinous sweetness from the moment it goes on. In addition, I get a slightly green, almost untamed, aldehydic rose (that reminds me just a little of Aromatics Elixir) plumped up when a little lemony jasmine joins in. And there's a gently diffused, not quite powdery orange blossom in the mix--a bit like Bal a Versailles' dainty, well-mannered young cousin. The notes listed in the pyramid also indicate lavender,which I do not smell, and ylang-ylang, which I do--banana-sweet with just a hint of the tropics as the perfume develops. Then the base kicks in, dusting all the florals in a relatively dense amber, and it all carries on like this for at least seven hours on my skin.

Charming, classical, and well-blended, Alahine is really a gem. It would make a great gift for a relatively young woman who is ready to move on from juvenilia, and it's also sweet enough to satisfy contemporary devotees of things like Black Opium. Subtle animalics in its base ensure that Alahine could be appropriate for a wider range of ages (I certainly don't feel self-conscious wearing it). If I wanted to get technical, I would point out Alahine's clever pink chypre structure--bergamot at the top, rose in the middle, rock rose (which produces both cistus and labdanum) in the base, and patchouli--and suggest that it gives the perfume a certain smartness, surrounded as it is with floriental cushions.

Perhaps best of all, Teo Cabanel offers Alahine in solid form, in addition to the regular EdP. The solid costs something like (an amazing) 30 dollars, and would make a terrific choice for tucking into a handbag, or a carry-on bag for light travelers. Seriously, what's not to like?
30th May, 2017
A tempting impression of chic elegance.the effect of the blend is stunning.like a symphony there is an harmony between notes.Alahine is one of my favourites on a classy lady with jewel crown,shiny black evening gown,little smile but engrossed eyes in her face.it is a skin scent very elegant sheer and alluring.no fresh, clean,soft and delicate fragrance.it is Sultry, Enticing,Sensuous,Erotic,Sweet,Woody, Luxurious,Exquisite,Charming,Confident and Magnetic.

The creamy and extotic ylang ylang gently increases in strength blending beautifully with spicy pepper developes into a more balsamic strong smoky benzoin and a hint of sandalwood and labdanum while I also get a slight powdery vibe that mean slight but that serves to smooth out to a comforting yet sensual scent that never fails to intrigue.Alahine is for self assured characters who aren't afraid to espress their femininity.perfect for an cold evening at home with your partner.

Sillage?Nice.

Longevity?+6 hours on my skin.

7.25/10
15th August, 2016
Ambery, sweet benzoin and a rich rose is all I get but wow isn't it powerful! Silage and longevity are well above average. I tried this and went out to an event. After some time I realized that at times I was smelling something around me that was very warm and sweet and strangely old fashioned ... somehow out of place. I could not place the source of the smell but then I thought it must be me! Alahine is not easy to carry nowadays but it is a pleasure nevertheless. Not my style but worth trying and experiencing it.
07th March, 2015

Alahine is a floral-amber scent with vanilla, benzoin, labdanum, neroli-orange notes and some slightly animalic and woody aftertaste, which lowers the overall warmth and softness providing a subtle sort of salty, raw dryness below the overall floral and "golden" resinousness. Not much else: a floral note fairly similar to heliotrope (pollen and earthy) and perhaps something slightly fruity - probably neroli and citrus notes. The very base provides a quite conventional woody-creamy soft feel due to sandalwood and ylang. As hours pass Alahine gets increasingly softer and sweeter, to the point of becoming almost a floral-sweet-musky (white musks I mean) scent with really faint echoes of amber and animalic notes. The drydown by the way reminds me of another scent which sadly I can not remember, but I am 99% sure it was a Kurkdjian (APOM pour Homme perhaps?), so the key may be "orange blossoms" since it's allegedly the "key note" of Kurkdjian. Anyway: not a memorable scent to be honest, but a good one for sure, modestly elegant and well built.

6,5-7/10
03rd October, 2014
I voted neutral on this because the huge, beautifully baroque-scaled opening sustains itself for barely an hour before collapsing into a basic amber skin scent for the rest of the duration. Oh but the opening! For that glorious thirty to fifty minutes (YMMV), I swear to forsake all other ambers and pledge my undying love to this one. It reminds me a bit of the big diva perfumes of the eighties, like Joop, the kind of stuff you wear to knock out the competition on the dance floor. Gorgeous chewy labdanum and powdery sweet benzoin heaped high and covered with syrupy, fleshy indolic flowers like jasmine and orange flower, big buttery yellow ylang, supported by whiff of dirty patch and musk.....and then, POOF! The scent completely falls off the ledge. It is a bit shocking, to be honest. The drydown goes on for a bit, in that traditional, slightly boring way most ambers do, along the benzoin-labdanum axis. But it is weak, and doesn't last long at all. After that amazing opening, it is kind of disappointing. Like having the sexiest, most drop dead gorgeous man sit next to you at a bar and then discovering that he has no conversation.
14th May, 2014
"I've met someone else" I said. I had lined my three bottles of Bal A Versailles like toy soliders, clinking together. "You've said this before" said three ounce "you were back, tail between your legs" I said "But it's different this time, you've changed, the magic's gone" a drip of condensation ran down the face of one ounce. "I'll get a facelift, I'll put a spell on you, I'll get a vooddoo doll and make you sorry you ever saw her"
I felt quite ill, the three little faces staring at me. "Not exactly 'I will go down with this ship' said Mini scathingly. "Dido wished she'd never written that song" I responded, but feeling the lump in my throat all the same. "We made you" said three ounce "We seduced for you, we comforted you, we came alive for you and it's not as if she's not like us. She's just a younger version with a fresh face and aromafit perspiration"
"But I love the fresh face" I cried" You're old, musty, worn out, passed around like some old squatter" And that did it. They turned away. I was free. I picked Alahine up and ran my hands over her packaging, noticed the quality of her spray unit, the small refinements of her form and function and vowed, like the serial monogamist that I am, I would never leave her. Fool if you think it's over.
30th April, 2013
Woody and reasinous amber with a rose-y undertone. I'm a sucker for ambers and while Alahine is not among the most original interpretations of the main theme it is still thoroughly enjoyable. Powerful, long lasting and well balanced. Good quality stuff. Unisex.
12th December, 2011
angelica Show all reviews
Love it! And I am very impressed with the quality of the Teo Cabanel line in general.

I don't really like ambers on me, they seem to disappear into my skin, and I don't like L'Heure Bleue, which I find far too sweet and reminiscent of pastilles. Alahine is quite ambery, and it reminds me of L'Heure Bleue, and yet it works for me. This is a really beautiful everyday, any occasion, fragrance - soft, rich, but not overpowering.
21st August, 2010
It escapes my perception what makes this really ambery. I can not smell it. It may be near, but it is not ambery to my nose (tried, but not achieved?). Overall, it is nice, but disappointing after I have read some rave reviews. It's not too sweet, which is correct, and not particularly ladylike in case a man would consider pulling this one off. Again, it is just nice, but neither inventive nor a particularly smashing turn on something well-known or proven (which would be absolutely legitimate). The star of Teo Cabanel is Oha.
01st July, 2010
After putting it on, I had an immediate "soul travel" back to my childhood;) I remember my great-grandma strongly believed in healing with natural remedies, and among them was burnt amber smoke (real amber, not synthetic one). She used it for earaches, burning a small piece of amber on a stove shovel and ordering me to put my aching ear next to its smoke. Now I fail to remember whether it helped, but I distinctly remember the scent of burning amber together with her own camphor body smell, and if she burned also some dried rose petals together with amber, it would be Alahine right away...P.S. I'm still on the fence with this one...guess I'll be ready to wear it when I'm about 85 years old:>
18th March, 2010
Kismet Show all reviews
Alahine, what am amazing fragrance. It is so beautifully well blended that no single notes stick out. Overall it's an ambery oriental but it's totally different from the usual sweet ambers that are mostly vanilla. Alahine is not too sweet at all - in fact it leans toward being dry. It's dry, spicy, warm and I know there are floral notes there, in it's heart, but I can't pick them out. I'm trying to think of something to compare it with and I'm coming up blank. I suppose (this is a stretch) that it's a much much more incredible sort of Coco. I'm thinking of Chanel because there's a wonderfully sparkling aldehydic quality to Alahine - and aldehydes remind me of Chanel. Coco is Chanel's spicy oriental so therein lies the comparison. But I can't underscore how much better than Coco this is! It's buttery and deep and dark and intoxicating. For this sort of gorgeous quality I don't think Teo Cabanel is expensive at all. In fact, I think it's a bargain for it's uniqueness, it's excellent longevity and nice sillage (not too powerful but definitely present). If you like retro/classic fragrances like Chanel and lean towards orientals you must try Alahine. I'm in love.
25th November, 2009 (last edited: 16th February, 2010)
Jubal Show all reviews
This is an incredibly beautiful fragrance! The most well blended I've come across, all of the ingredients work so well together it is difficult to identify individual notes. From the gloriously herbal citrus top notes till the dry down when it finally becomes one of the most intriguing ambers. Not at all sweet, it has no rough edges, but is a soft deep symphony of scent.

Sillage is good without being overpowering, lasts a good 6 hours for me. It is a wonderously unique scent, you won't smell like anyone else at the party. Definitely full bottle worthy.
04th November, 2008