Reviews of Fleur d'Oranger 27 by Le Labo

Find out more about Fleur d'Oranger 27 by Le Labo in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

rbaker's avatar

From the beginning the orange blossom is gorgeous, mingling well with a lemon-citrus background without producing the customary opening blast, in spite of a solid bergamot contributor. As a matter of fact, this is an elegant creation, very soft and well-blended from constituents of very high quality. Silage is poor, projection adequate, and for such a citrus-based creation the longevity is good at four hours. The only reservation might be the absence of any significant development on my skin; otherwise this is a stylish, well-balanced scent for warm summer evenings.

17 January, 2014

rogalal's avatar

A nice, effective orange blossom perfume. Perhaps there's been a reformulation or some bad samples at some point, because all I really smell is pretty orange blossom with a pinch of petitgrain underneath, not the weird nightmare that some people here have suffered through.

In a way, decent orange blossom scents aren't uncommon because actual orange blossom oil smells deep and beautiful and complex on its own - the perfumer's main job is to not screw it up. And, to my nose, Le Labo does a good job leaving it to itself, but that's kind of my main complaint. It's perfectly competent, but lacks some of the character of other orange blossom scents that I like better (like Jo Malone's honeyed take on it, or Heeley's dark waxy version, or even Houbigant's unexpected salty aquatic subtleties). I'll still give it a thumbs up, but I'd recommend any of those other three above this one.

24 March, 2013

michailG's avatar

This is great! I love Orange blossoms and this is so true to its name. I prefer this to Bergamote 22. Unfortunately, although Fleur d' Oranger has dissent longevity it has very bad projection.

20th May, 2012

blood-orange's avatar

Fleur d'Oranger definitely falls into the category of being a white floral.

I like this fragrance because it's so simple. A rich, creamy blend of orange blossom and jasmine with a hint of bright, citrusy lemon.

The scent is very feminine, possibly one of the most feminine fragrances by Le Labo. Fleur d'Oranger 27 is quite heavenly in the way it settles on the skin. I'd even recommend this fragrance as a bridal scent for some.

While I love white florals, they don't suit me unfortunately. The delicate beauty of this fragrance and the intense white creaminess doesn't suit my rather bold personality and wild sense of dress.

It has a rather classic and romantic feel to it, and like I mentioned before, it strikes me as a wedding scent. Elegant, innocent and in some ways sensual.

The longevity is wonderful, in fact Le Labo is known for their outstanding quality. I can not even begin to express my love for this fragrance house and their ability to never let me down. Another great fragrance.

12 April, 2012

serafina's avatar

England England

I find myself puzzled by the negative reviews. For me this scent evokes memories of Jericho in spring, warmth, the decoratively carved ruins of a Hasmonean palace, a softness in the air and an overarching shimmer of orange blossom. It is a light, uncomplex,still scent. Not much mystery or depth, but perfect for a spring weekend or for business when you want to seem less complicated than you are. I don't have to work at it, just be carried to something summery and warm on its breath and for that reason perhaps not a perfume buff's scent, but pleasing nevertheless.

10th March, 2012

firehorse's avatar

Summer in a bottle. Sweet, thirst quenching citrus floral.

I absolutely hated this the first time I tried it. It was so sickly sweet to my nose that I had to scrub it off. Even my neighbor's kid said it stunk. There was something about it that reminded me of the sweetness smell in vomit. I hated it that much.

Then I received it as a gift, relunctantly gave it more tries and surprise !! it really grew on me. It's now become one of my favorites. I wear it often, especially on those kind of dreary freezing winter days when its easy to lose faith that summer will come. It's the crutch that has gotten me through the 2nd sloppiest snowfall in NYC history.

If you are expecting a cologne type of orange citrus fragrance, or a bitter orange, you might get disappointed because this is quite sweet. People who like gourmands and are looking for a citrusy floral should give this a try.

04 March, 2011

I’m not sure what the idea behind this fragrance is… It’s a simple, dry, clear floral / green accord. It doesn’t smell like orange blossom and there’s a streak of clean green running through it that seems to confuse or disguise the floral notes to my nose… I just can’t identify the floral. At times the simple, clear, pristine, straight-forword scents can be incredibly beautiful, but this isn’t a scent like that – it isn’t pristine or delicate or at all captivating. I agree that it seems like a household cleaning product.

01st February, 2010

Asha's avatar

Le Labo Fleur d'Oranger 27

Notes: bergamot, petitgrain, grapefruit, amber, musk and vetiver (from luckyscent.com)

I'm not sure what I am supposed to be smelling, but it is not orange flower, nor is it neroli. Fleur d'Oranger 27 starts bright and green, with bitter and sour citrus fruits (bergamot, and maybe a little grapefruit), some woody, herbal notes (petitgrain, lavender) and mint. It seems harmless at first. However, when the citrus and lavender fade, I am left with a sweetened, somewhat wintergreen-like menthol fragrance that smells like toilet bowl cleaner. It is too bad that household goods now have this scent association. On the other hand, the mint is really one-dimensional and not terribly compelling. If this were stronger and long-lived, Fleur d'Oranger 27 would be intolerable.

21st November, 2009

Arpeggiator's avatar

Germany Germany

I only tested it on a paper, but that's enough!

What is this??

There are two elements: One could be a flowery note (light, sweet).
    The other is an undefinable artificial smell, which causes an acute nausea.
    I can hardly detect one of the listed ingredients (no bergamot, no petitgrain,
    no orange blossom, no musk, no grapefruit, no amber, not at all a lemon).
    I dread to think what is behind the other 20 ingredients.
    I had to put the test-paper immediately into the last corners of my wastebin (rating 1/10).

28 October, 2009

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

As a disclaimer, I'm certainly not the right person to judge the merits of this fragrance. I simply fail to appreciate the sickly-sweet, powdery smell of orange blossoms and no matter how "natural" or "realistic" the note's supposed to be (I've never smelt real orange trees in bloom) I think only of scented, chemical-smelling cleaning fluids and bathroom air "fresheners" working in quite the opposite way.

20th April, 2009

lafoebe's avatar

Break it down in a couple of words. Sharp, dry, green, aromatic and floral. Its a fantastic summery unisex combination. Not meant to be a traditiional fleur d orange. Would only by in the summer.

26 August, 2008

rentboy's avatar

Way more floral than I'm used to, but a very real scent memory for me - this *is* fresh honeysuckle, picked straight from the vine. Smells like spending a hot summer day in a thicket. Beautifully done, not something I'd buy for myself, but fun to wear from a sample

24 July, 2007

Quarry's avatar

Upon first spritz and citrus release I thought, this isn't too bad--maybe not exciting or full-bottle worthy, but okay enough to consider layering with something. Within a couple minutes I'd struck a line through that mental notation. Even if Le Labo uses natural ingredients, I felt a synthetic sensation in my throat, along with sugar designed to attract little girls. I gave up trying to derive pure orange blossoms from my skin and then recognized a note of some other floral, maybe tuberose.

After I composed my comments above, I looked up the official notes. Here they be: "A natural and extremely rare Orange Blossom that took over 3 years to compose is enhanced by fresh floral and lemony notes, rounded out by musk and the succulent, sunny touches of bergamot, petit grain and lemon."

12 July, 2007