Negative Reviews of Labdanum 18 / Ciste 18 by Le Labo

Find out more about Labdanum 18 / Ciste 18 by Le Labo in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

rbaker's avatar

There is labdanum in the opening, with some castoreum. It remains, however, quite dull and unexciting on my skin, and one could not call it amber-like on me. In the drydown a bit of cinnamon is added, and tonka too. Otherwise a quite boring powderiness. Limited silage and projection with three hours of longevity. L 18 might love my skin, but my skin does not like L18.

19th January, 2014

jesco's avatar

My first Le Labo sniff is cringe worthy. In fact I want to remember it, so as not to make this mistake again. I am reminded me of what put me off perfume for years.
    Sweet powder. The best of Shalimar with the addition of baby powder. Oh dear. I save samples, one never knows when reference might call. But this went down the loo. Sometimes I don't have my glasses on and reach for a surprise tester. I would say this is my most unfavorite fragrance of all time.

09th July, 2012 (Last Edited: 15th July, 2012)

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

By suppressing the no-holds-barred creamy opulence of his earlier Musc Ravageur, Maurice Roucel has neutered that horndog, forfeiting its libidinal charms, and the resulting Labdanum 18 is really just a big, frigid amber. There’s some commendable birch tar up top, but the remaining timid animalics combined with the vanilla smell, amusingly, like a newly wiped and powdered baby’s bum.

06th September, 2011

jtd's avatar

Cistus labdanum is a classic amber material and has many facets to it. I had hoped that the le Labo minimalist approach would lead to interesting results. Cistus is so rich that even a spare composition using it could have complexity, and cistus can align with so many other materials with beautiful results. Unfortunately, I found Labdanum 18 quite flat and uninteresting. It starts sweet yet without flavor, and travels quickly to a matter-of-fact powdery vanilla amber. I smell a bit of the civet that might add dimension, but it goes nowhere. I can’t say I actively dislike it, but I have no interest in wearing or paying for it.

29th November, 2010 (Last Edited: 02nd March, 2011)

Jemimagold's avatar

Simply put, Le Labo's Labdanum 18 smells like an expensive sweet-ish amber baby powder from top note to base note. It is is similar smell-wise Houbigant's Quelques Fleurs and just as horribly cloying and awful. Le Labo makes so many wonderful, original perfumes and I am perplexed that Labdanum 18 is one of theirs.

From what I can find, here are the notes for Labdanum 18: "labdanum (cistus) with a slightly animalic notes".

03rd December, 2008