Reviews of Bergamote 22 by Le Labo

Find out more about Bergamote 22 by Le Labo in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

purplebird7's avatar

I like this. It's a woody citrus scent. The opening is too astringent, but it settles nicely into a grapefruit-bergamot combination on top of a diffusive, clean pepper-cedar and remarkably mild, grassy vetiver. All of this lies atop an airy musk. Bergamote 22 has a healthy dose of dryness and just enough sweetness to merit the comment, "Hey, this is pretty!" It's unisex, outdoorsy, summery, clear and transparent. The composition is sophisticated enough to put it above mainstream citrus fragrances. Give it a try, stick out the first minute of searing astringency, and be rewarded with a worthwhile woody citrus fragrance.

09 March, 2014

rbaker's avatar

The opening has more grapefruit, but soon the bergamot starts up, with some petitgrain in the background. A cedar and a hint of vanilla give a bit of richness in the drydown, but this is essentially a fresh and bright scent. It is more on the elegant side of the bergamot spectrum. Limited silage and projection. The longevity of about two hours is what I expected, as I see this essentially as a summer cologne where this is normal - frequent reapplications are needed throughout the day. Very pleasant.

08 December, 2013

kharisma92's avatar

Not Bad!

This is an awesome summer fragrance. Longevity is really good!(This has been a short-fall for many) I love the "Made to order" approach of the Le Labo philosophy. while its not earth shattering its consistent and a long-term mainstay in my rotation. Definitely should be given a try.

The Business manager Roxy at the Saks location in Houston, TX was very knowledgeable and patient while I experienced the line.

18 August, 2013

bFlay's avatar

I really enjoyed this in the shop when I purchased it. Opens with a true orange/grapefruit quality of green and bitter which softens and sweetens within moments to a crisp citrus that really projects and doesn't "read" as cologne. Unfortunately, this breaks down after approximately 2 hours and has a faint medicinal-camphor-betadine note that carries along to the rapid finish within 4-5 hours (after which there is no discernible fragrance at all). BERGAMOTE 22 is different in a basically good way. I would wear it with another fragrance to add interest and boost both scents. Also to hopefully downplay the medicinal in the middle.

20th March, 2013

starshipvelcro's avatar

This is rare...a Le Labo that smells like what it's named after.

...and honestly that's about all you get. It's very pleasant, a bright sparkling citrus that lasts and lasts.

It's not worth it though. If you come to it expecting something exciting and new, do keep moving along on your search. I can't imagine a scenario where I'd only want to smell like bergamote, it always seems like a supporting player, or a nice scent for some body wash...

In fact skip the fragrance, just buy the shower gel, it's much more enjoyable in those short but strong bursts of invigorating cleanliness than for an all day affair.

13 November, 2012

dollars&scents's avatar

Bergamote 22 by Le Labo - One is initially treated to a citrus whirlwind. Bergamot, with its bitter and orangey as well as faintly peppery facets commingle with the tanginess of grapefruit. Petitgrain supplies a woody and green undertone to the sparkling citrus. Transitioning to the enhancing heart, the bittersweet bergamot is bathed with the sweetness and somewhat indolic character of orange blossom as well as the fresh and mildly camphoraceous character of aspic. Nutmeg with its softly and sweetly cinnamon-like spiciness mists the melange. Segueing to the appealing base, the enhanced bergamot interplays with the slightly sweet and creamy cedarwood, the laundered-linen illusion from musk, as well as the velvety, play-doh aspects of amber. A green, almost watery, and leafy vetiver provides a carpet for the mixture to flow to its comforting and refreshing drydown. This high-quality and well-blended composition is made for summer and casual wear. It has average projection and longevity. However, besides its limited versatility aforesaid, the scent is nonetheless trite, and, as such, its price point cannot be justified.

14 June, 2012

michailG's avatar

I have been trying bergamot fragrances for some time now. This one is one of the best ... alas my taste has changed and I am not anymore very fond of the note often described as bergamot. Bergamnote 22 is rather linear, ... in a way honest to its name, and lasts for hours.

20th May, 2012

blood-orange's avatar

For men? Really, I'm not convinced. The day I wore this, I received so many compliments. I didn't feel like this needed gender bending at all.

I usually hate dominant citrus notes in my fragrances, especially when grapefruit plays a leading role, but Bergamote 22 has proven that a perfectly refreshing citrus scent without harshness or sour accords can be achieved.

Bergamote 22 sparkles with such brightness and prettiness. In truth, the name is a little misleading as the woods are quite a feature in this fragrance.

There's a sweet aspect to this fragrance that is difficult to explain. It's a clean floral to my nose with an interesting soapy quality, especially towards the drydown. I only noticed the sweetness on the tester card, but not my skin.

On my skin, the masculinity of this fragrance appears. For the first few minutes it's a clean and crisp blend of citrus and musk, however vetiver and amber really feature after the top notes fade. This fragrance also struggled to last on me.

On others Bergamote 22 has wonderful sillage and longevity. I so wanted this fragrance to work for me, but like all citrus scents, they don't go well with my chemistry.

I have not been entirely let-down by this fragrance, in fact I'm thoroughly impressed. I highly recommend.

12 April, 2012

Harvitz81's avatar

This is a nice summer scent, but not an eye opener great one by any means. It has hints of bergamot and petit grain throughout and is quite lone lasting. Still though, for the price it is essentially a well composed, clean, crisp citrus that you can find similarly or better done from other houses.

08 February, 2012

alfarom's avatar

An average quality green bergamot supported by a well done citruses opening and laying on a woody vetiver base. Not particularly exciting but surely enjoyable throughout its 8+ hrs lasting.

Honest and pleasant except for the price.

19 December, 2011

rogalal's avatar

This is another scent I quite enjoy. On me, it's a half-and-half affair, one half being a rather traditional citrus cologne of orange and neroli over petitgrain and orange blossom (I never smell much upfront bergamot, personally). The other half of its personality is a very bright leafy green vetiver over rose geranium. If you can imagine layering a good citrus cologne like Eau d'Hadrien with Guerlain Vetiver, you'd end up with a fairly good idea what Bergamote 22 smells like. This makes for a very appealing mix, and is in my opinion the best of the extremely citrus-heavy vetivers out there.

It's a bit summery, and can feel a little trite or simple in colder weather when thoughts turn to smoky wood scents and heartwarming gourmands, but as a mix of bright vetiver and greens with happy citrus, it's perfect for a hot summer day.

07 December, 2011

googlymoogly1's avatar

This cologne makes me think of sitting on a veranda on a summers evening in the Texas Hill Country. Cicadas chirping, hot dry wind blowing through the cedars, scrub, and limestone canyon. Citrusy and Dry. I like it a lot.

12 May, 2010

NillaGoon's avatar

I had high hopes for this one after some of the other great Le Labos, but I'm sorry to say that it's a disappointment. The opening is great - a juicy, tart citrus reminiscent of Frederick Malle Bigarade Concentree and Odin 03. Unfortunately, after half an hour I start to get a distinct off-note of mothballs with a whiff of compost, and the overall effect becomes a bit unpleasant. Longevity is citrus-like, i.e. not so great, though perhaps that's a plus in this case!

I don't think I'd pick Bergamote 22 over either of these others.

10th March, 2010

holyzoo's avatar

This is the holy grail of citruses.

Bergamote 22 quickly ends an ambitious search for the ultimate Bergamot citrus. It's simple enough to almost be an accord, but mixed up with enough diversity to stand on its own. By itself, it's an intoxicating blast of citrus (bergamot), with a decent amount of grapefruit that lends enough of a tart pang to give it some attitude, with a hint of woods and clean-factor with vetiver. In the dry down, the bergamot cuts through as an actual base which is rare. The longevity of this core lasts a significantly long time - 12 hours or so.

With Bergamote 22 being so focused on its intent, my hope, and discovery has been that it can layer with an insane amount of other stuff. And how true that is. Bergamot and Vetiver are in a tremendous amount of fragrances. So A) you can punch up the citrus in anything that has it at the open but dies in no time, B) you can mix this in with other non-citrus scents and make something unique or like other brands without having to buy even more stuff. I can see layering this with a good 20 other colognes and perfumes easily and creatively. This is up there with the other key layering scent I've found - Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver.

04 March, 2010 (Last Edited: 08 March, 2010)

The opening smells richer than many bergamot openings... prominent in this one are a firm, clear (tingly) petit grain note and a tart grapefruit note which together add a broad dimension to the high quality bergamot: It’s an excellent opening. I don’t seem to pick up any heart notes, which doesn’t surprise me in a fragrance named for probably the supreme opening note. The opening lasts a long time, which is good, and gradually morphs into a vetiver / cedar with a strong background of floral – orange blossom (appropriately) in particular. It’s brilliant… It presents such a clean, clear, distinctly sophisticated version of bergamot… this one certainly is an exemplar of the artistic use of this note. The bergamot in Bergamote 22 is particularly well presented.

01st February, 2010 (Last Edited: 02 February, 2010)

mnaonbn's avatar

I really like bergamot, and I really, really like Le Labo, so I had high hopes for this frag. Alas, the bergamot in here is barely perceptible. The perfume is very well crafted, but it's also completely common. It's predominantly a citrusy green frag with aquatic and cuminy undertones. It's just not special or worth the price.

22 June, 2009

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

I just love this summery cologne, it's gorgeous! I know some find it too "common" for the price and brand, but in fact I think it's very difficult to find green, citrusy and "natural" scents this good! I hate the aggressive, synthetic-smelling, slightly "musty" aspects of grapefruit, the freshly-squeezed-lemon opening of most citrus fragrances including the famous Eau d'Hardien rarely last more than two minutes before they turn to stale washing-up liquid, The Different Company's Bergamote is quite lovely but very, very soapy/powdery, Frederic Malle's Cologne Bigarade is nice but so warm and spicy it's Christmasy rather than summery... Bergamote 22 is just perfect: lovely, fresh bergamote on a leafy green/woody/cedary base reminding me of my other favourite, Miller et Bertaux' Green green green and green. It's more transparent, light and citrusy than the M&B scent, has a little less of that grassy/woody sweetness, which makes it even better as a refreshing cologne for hot days. It is quite fleeting though, I admit...

17 April, 2009

Jemimagold's avatar

Le Labo's Bergamote 22 launches with the green smell of freshly cut branches and then evolves into a sunny, warm citrusy fragrance that is downright cozy. The middle notes are like burying your face in a bouquet of orange blossom flowers sprinkled lightly with amber pebbles. Bergamote 22 would be beautiful to wear on a summer evening but it also would be a definite "mood-lifter' in the dark cold days of late January.

The only thing I find disappointing about Bergamote 22 is its weak staying power- it pretty much disappears after 20 minutes on my skin. For this kind of price, I expect my perfume to stick around a while but when it is present, it is gorgeous.

Here are the notes, courtesy of Fishbone's website: bergamot, petitgrain, grapefruit, nutmeg, orange blossom, aspic, cedar, musk, amber and vetiver.

30th July, 2008