Reviews of Eau Sauvage Fraîcheur Cuir by Christian Dior

Find out more about Eau Sauvage Fraîcheur Cuir by Christian Dior in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Leather

Eau Sauvage Fraîcheur Cuir is pretty much what it says on the label: Eau Sauvage with some watery fruit notes (Calone?) up top and a dab of clean leather. The leather leaves Fraîcheur Cuir smelling a touch closer to Roudnitska’s earlier Eau d’Hermès (minus the cumin and civet) than does the original, while the “fraîcheur” element points up the family relation to Le Parfum de Thérèse and Diorella. The fruit and leather also render Faîcheur Cuir sweeter and softer than the original version, an impression that persists into the drydown, which is noticeably less mossy than the accustomed Eau Sauvage.

Is Fraîcheur Cuir a pleasant variation on the Eau Sauvage theme? Without a doubt. Was it absolutely necessary? Of that I’m not so sure.

13 June, 2014

Jaakiem's avatar

Leather for summer

I know three perfumes that have theme of leather and citrus: Bel ami, Je suis un homme and Eau sauvage cuir fraicheur. All those three are very different.

I usually imagine citrus notes to be top notes of perfume, lemon over leather. In this case it's the opposite. The base of scent is lemony freshness and it has some light leather over it. Yes, I know the official notes says it isn't so, but it's the impression I get.

One those leathers that are more suitable for warmer weathers.

J

Pros: Masculine, classic
    Cons: Discontinued

28 June, 2013

's avatar

Citric opening with a light leather note on the base. It would be great if it had a better lasting power, which is actually below average.
    Sillage and projection are soft too.

13 March, 2013

sjg3839's avatar

I enjoy this one more that the original. The original is just too lemony to me. The light leather in this one makes it a little more modern and interesting than the original. The old timers might not like this as much as the original. The longevity and projection is average but the scent is very good!

14 January, 2013 (Last Edited: 29 June, 2014)

Oscroft's avatar

I'm a big fan of Eau Sauvage anyway, and I think this one is lovely. The classic Eau Sauvage citrus accord is clearly there, and the leather is soft and fresh - more like a lady's glove than a cricketer's jockstrap.

Alfarom says "Not bad but go for the original" - I say go for both.

10th October, 2012

chrisaxp's avatar

Initial impression: It is a very strange combination of citris and leather. Initially it seemed weak (hence the extra chest spray) but then it became very strong and the leather and Cedar came out clearly. It is now 7 hours later, and I had an active day in a hot room, and the fragrance is still present. It is now much more subtle and more citrusy.

Great Longevity on this scent. I do need a woman's opinion on this one before I make a purchase decision.
    I did notice that when I was perspiring there was a metalic smell that is not present now.

26 August, 2012 (Last Edited: 13 September, 2012)

JT3D's avatar

Eau Sauvage with a touch of leather......how can you go wrong! however, it's no longer listed on Dior's website so I wonder if it's been discontinued, so sad if it has :-(

13 June, 2011

robyogi's avatar

Smells quite a bit like Eau Sauvage, but with a touch of suede-like leather in the base. Longevity is better than ES on me, but still only lasts a half-day or so. This is a good flanker, but I wonder if it's just a bit too close to the original. Definitely worth a try if you like ES and want a little more lasting power out of it.

28 April, 2011

alfarom's avatar

A subtle and almost imperceptible variation of the previous Eau Sauvage gently enriched with a shy and clean leather note and just a little of fruity notes. Not bad but go for the original.

02 April, 2011 (Last Edited: 04 April, 2011)

blackened's avatar

Spain Spain

It opens with that lemon/herbal masculine and spicy so characteristic of eau sauvage at the top and a slight note of leather as background , very soft, almost imperceptible, which gives the fragrance a little more depth and contrast brilliantly with citrusy and floral accords of the halfway , giving a delicious balance.
    The main problem of this water is the endemic one of family of Dior's Eau Savage (minus the extreme version): Longevity; in general terms is quite poor, maybe 1 or 2 hours with a bit of luck .A shame.
    in short: a masterpiece of short duration.

15 January, 2011

tangodiamond's avatar

This scent seems to be close to the original Eau Sauvage. Lemons are present here, but this hasn't got the elegance of the original Eau Sauvage. This is much more simply. The notes cuir + sweets make a dirty lemony fragrancy wich isn't refined.

15 January, 2011

odysseusm's avatar

This is done in a rich lemon/fougere style. It is dense, and slightly fruity. In fact it is very dense, intense, and fruity-plummy. Quite lemon-centric in style. Then a watery-acquatic note appears: dewy and a bit sweet. I don’t get any cedar, amber, or leather. It gets cloying and tiresome.

07 December, 2010

Sauvage Hound's avatar

Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir

I've keep the original Eau Sauvage in my wardrobe for over twenty years, where it has held pride of place as my signature fragrance. I love it, but there was always the longevity issue to contend with, so every now and again I'd go looking for something else. Even considering it's lack of legs, nothing else has ever really compared...until Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir.

I find ESFC to be quite true to the original--much more so than the 80's version of Eau Sauvage Extreme (as opposed to the 2010 remixm, which I've yet to find here in the States). The buttery fresh leather accord is a suprisingly good compliment to thae classic ES's notes, and better yet, the longevity is much improved. If you like classic ES, try this--you'll almost certainly like it, and you might even like it better.

This is my current favorite fragrance, so it seemed appropriate that this should also be my first review.

19 September, 2010

AnimaSola's avatar

Very attractive. It tones down the brightness of the original fragrance, but it still smells a lot like the original Eau Sauvage. That is not a negative at all, but I thought more originality could have gone into this fragrance. It's fabulous nonetheless.

29 May, 2010

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

The first thing you notice with the Dior's Eau Sauvage is that it is hardly savage. Fresh Leather address that by introducing a measure of savage to the already excellent classic modern eau de cologne (yes, even though intorduced in the 60s, regular Eau Sauvage is 'modern', as far as eau de colognes are concerned).

For me however, Fresh Leather is the way to go. It is deeper, thicker, more contrast between sweet citrus and manly dirt. It is the 'sauvage' as the name promises. Certainly worth a try if not a purchase.

10th April, 2010

mrclmind's avatar

Eau Sauvage Fraîcheur Cuir stays remarkably true to the original while still making its own statement. This is one of my very favorite flankers. The opening is almost identical to the original, the heart is a bit more modern and the dry-down of course moves into a new leather territory. The longevity is better than the original too. Francois Demachy did an exceptional job in formulating this composition. It's really a shame that Dior isn't giving this scent a wider release. I think it would find a fairly large audience if given the chance.

04 March, 2010

centerpin's avatar

Germany Germany

Sorry, but I have to ruin the quota here. I was extremly dissapointed about that new interpretation of Eau Sauvage. I have to admit that I also was extremly hyped up due to the good revues here and fell almost into a depression after I sprayed it on for the first time. It is nothing special.not at all.
    It is still Eau Sauvage, that´s why the review gets a neutral, I mean it is still one of the best scents ever so I cannot give it a bad rating.
    But I have to say that I can hardly smell any leather in that formular, after 10 minutes drydown there is maybe a little hint of leather which last for another 10 minutes and then the whole sensation is gone.
    Fraicheur Cuir smells a little cleaner and softer than the Original, actually they took out the dirtiness and replaced it with nothing.
    I am angry.
    The idea was good,but didn´t work, I guess they didn´t have the courage to really try a new scent so they they just did not enough-too mainstream.
    It smells nice, soft and lemony. Doesn´t stay long on my skin. 2 hours maybe. I am angry.

23 February, 2010

Mar Azul's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

No, it's not an update. Seems to me more that it tries to revive an old citrus+leather groove as the likes of Cacharel Homme and Halston 1-12, both of them far more complex and superior. A trying-to-be-serious citrus peel, then a trying-to-be-heavy-and-warm citrus-enhanced leather. And in fact, that's all.

29 January, 2010

Somerville Metro Man's avatar

Christian Dior Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir

I wonder what Alexandra Ripley felt like as she sat in front of the keyboard composing her sequel, "Scarlett" to Margaret Mitchell's "Gone With The Wind"? You have to be creative while taking into account the many who will bemoan the desecration of a legend, the others who want to laugh that you are even attempting a new take on a masterpiece, and the few who will actually give your creativity a chance to impress them. The perfume version of Alexandra Ripley is Francois Demachy who has taken on the task of making the sequel to three well-liked scents, all for Christian Dior, Dior Homme Cologne, Fahrenheit 32 and now, in 2007 Edmond Roudnitska's 1966 ground-breaking masterpiece with, Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir. While the first two sequels M. Demachy undertook were well-done; to try and alter a scent from one of the, arguably, greatest perfumers of the 20th century that is something entirely different. The original Eau Sauvage could be considered the forerunner to all of the fresh and clean scents currently (over)crowding the perfume shelves. M. Demachy in his design of Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir pays homage to the original but actually makes a couple of different choices than M. Roudnitska and ends up creating something all his own. The top of Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir is where the two scents are most similar. The beginning of Fraicheur Cuir is all light, tart lemon which lasts only a short while. It is in the heart that the first divergence from the original scent takes place as the similarity to the original is maintained with an herbal accord paired with cedar. The biggest difference comes in M. Demachy's use of hedione. M. Roudnitska was said to have pioneered the use of hedione in Eau Sauvage but while I'm sure it is there it never seems to be that prominent when I wear Eau Sauvage. That is not so with Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir as the hedione does its job here in all of its glory as the jasmine comes to life against the woody, herbal backdrop making this similar but entirely different. The base is where things take a dramatic turn as the promised leather appears paired with amber and the hint of oakmoss. The base is really mostly leather with the amber there to provide some depth to it all. Eau Sauvage is one of those very short lasting scents on me. Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir happily has much more longevity and lasts a good 6-8 hours on me. There is also much less projection than in the original. I know I wouldn't have the courage to try and pick up a previous work and make it my own. Bravo to Francois Demachy for not only trying but succeeding, spectacularly so.

22 August, 2009

ferickson's avatar

refined, yes. lemon and leather, yes. beautiful, yes. works for me? sadly, no. dries down a little too hot and dry. i'm sure on someone with a bit more class and a few more years than i, this would be fantastic. on me, it just feels uptight.

27 June, 2009

moss1310's avatar

What an amazing scent this was. I bought this at the Munich airport when it first came out. I ran through my bottle so quickly and couldn't find it in the US. So wondefully fresh. Everyone is right. It was a lot of Eau Savauge with a hint of leather. I wish they would have made a super concentrated version that lasted on my skin longer.

18 March, 2009

archibald's avatar

Off the top of my head, I can't think of another fragrance, classic reissue or recent release, that plays within the confines of the contemporary fresh 'n clean sensibility without sacrificing classic structure, smart composition, or quality ingredients as effortlessly as Eau Sauvage Fraîcheur Cuir. Starting with an original that has stood the test of time gave a leg up to the nose that created this version to be sure, but ESFC's composition is extremely clever--leaving the top notes pretty much alone, at least enough to make the the fragrance immediately recognizable as an Eau Sauvage, toning down some of the perfumey (read: dated) smell of the heart, and adding a leather accord that at once suggests a classic structure without actually replicating the actually leather that usually defines old-fashioned cyphers. The "fresh leather" in ESFC is the fine suede of a pair of a brand new pair of bench-made bucks---nothing dry or overbearing at all. My current fave.

06 March, 2009

frug's avatar

Instead of an irrationally-named and irrelevant flanker, this edition is a true variation on the Eau Sauvage theme. You’d be hard pressed to tell them apart from the renowned opening citrus. But soon after dry down begins Fraicheur Cuir goes its own way, without renouncing its pedigree, revealing a soul of elegant soft leather and amberish tobacco instead of its daddy’s spiky basil and peaty vetiver. I like them both, for different reasons, but find Fraicheur Cuir the more amiable companion.

19 February, 2009

bbBD's avatar

I've been anticipating today - my first full wear of ESFC - for a long time. First it was on my wishlist for about 8 months, and then I finally found a bottle thanks to a kind BN member, then I had to wait about a month while hurricanes and evacuations delayed my receipt. Why all the fuss for something I've never smelled? Well, I love Eau Sauvage, I love leather notes, and I have a weakness for obscure Dior releases.

Was it worth the wait? Well, yes. Am I blown away? Well, no. At first I was surprised that the topnotes were pure Eau Sauvage, with little if any variation. I was bummed. After about a half hour I noticed the emergence of a slightly spicy, ambery leather accord that blended in with the standard ES drydown to perfection. As the name says (which is translated on the bottle as 'leather freshness'), this is a fresh leather. 90% Eau Sauvage, 10% Leather. I strongly recommend a massive overapplication to one's neck, arms, chest, etc. to experience the full effect.

My only complaint with the original has been longevity. No matter how much you put on it lasts about 2 hours from beginning to end. This problem seems addressed in the FC version, with the longevity being much better and the base persisting for about 5-6 hours.

If you're a fan of the various elements that went into this creation like I am, by all means seek out a bottle. If you're just a leather fan and think this will be a leather rich, lemony fragrance, somewhere along the lines of HL Cuiron, you will be disappointed.

11th October, 2008

chevalblanc67's avatar

This fragrance is one of the best I've never tried! A virtual gold medal to Dior!

09 October, 2008

everso's avatar

amazing, distinct, opulent stuff. citrus and leather DONE RIGHT. this limited edition is hard to find...i was looking for months before i ended up suddenly with 3 bottles of the stuff. the leather is soft and subtle...but when mixed with the citrus kick of eau sauvage----it creates this aura rather than a sharp scent. it's very light and refreshing, yet at the same time deep and dark. very cool stuff.

27 September, 2008

goodlight's avatar

Wow. I cannot stop smelling the back of my hand.. Love, love, love it. I never wrote reviews on Basenotes before, but I just had to for this one.

BTW I believe fragrance is totally subjective. And this fragrance subjectively pleases me so much. I got leather from the start, and lemony citrus much later.

13 June, 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

I love the original Eay Sauvage but now we're adding fresh leather into the mix? This is stuff is amazing because of it. Why did Dior limit this release? I believe it would've made a great addition to their line-up. A definite must have for me (if I could only find a bottle!)

26 May, 2008

Dane's avatar

A slight variation on the original, but a good one. I don't think I need a bottle of each, but I definitely prefer its ambery drydown and warm undertones over the original. I don't get much leather at all...if any, its similar to the floral-leather used in Hermes' Kelly Caleche. A stunning homage to a classic men's scent, and worth every penny (if you can find it!)

15 April, 2008

ranchdavis's avatar

Argentina Argentina

I received Fraîcheur Cuir yesterday as a birthday gift, and was surprised that even lacking basil, it very distinctly reminisces the classic Eau Sauvage. Good job, Monsieur Demachy.

28 November, 2007