Reviews of Reflection Man by Amouage

Find out more about Reflection Man by Amouage in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Dmotron's avatar

This one can come of femme, or as in pretty girl or so I was told. I guess I can see their point but by no means is this a girl fragrance because of the quality. Neroli and jasmine is the main notes kicking and sometimes I get this orange candy smell like the tootsie roll orange flavor chews. Some say it's very simular to Le Male and I can see that but it's not synthetic and is rather smooth. I will agree it's for both men and women but it smells really good and if like your jasmine and neroli.

27 June, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woody Oriental

My experience with Amouage having swung wildly between the obscene Gold and the sublime Dia, I wasn’t sure I needed to try more from this house. But then there I was one day, in a Viennese perfume shop that had Amouage, Montale, and Clive Christian to sample, and I figured I’d give Reflection a go. My wife was with me at the time, and I had her smell it on me before I did. Her response was a wide-eyed “Ooh, that’s nice!” and I knew I was in trouble.

Reflection is nice, and it tells me that Dia is no mere anomaly in the Amouage men’s line. Yes, their prices are ridiculous, and their marketing is moronic, but the guys in Dubai do have at least some good scents. (Pardon the pun – I couldn’t resist!)

Reflection goes on with a bit of sweet fruit, spiked liberally with pink pepper. The pepper mellows slightly, but persists as crisp counterpoint to the soft florals at Reflection’s heart. There is a powdery iris root in the mix as well, and this helps to integrate the pink pepper with the vetiver that forms the scent’s foundation.

Like Dia, Reflection succeeds as a men’s fragrance with a floral heart, but it’s a simpler and more transparent composition. Where Dia uses incense, leather, and amber, the cooler Reflection relies on Mediterranean elements like orange leaves and rosemary to temper its floral elements. This fragrance lacks the outrageous projection and sillage of Gold, and doesn’t last as long as Dia, drying down after about five or six hours to a slightly sweet, powdery wood and vetiver base. Reflection is well worth trying, especially for men who fear florals. It’s bright, but not a lightweight, and makes a distinctive alternative to the commonplace citrus scents for spring and summer.

25 June, 2014

Jridgen's avatar

I applaud Amouage for straying from their usual frankincense and myrrh formula. That being said this one just misses the mark.

I will say with Reflection that the notes come across musty and have a sickly, balmy and powdery sweetness throughout. The combination of jasmine and spices in this fragrance make it come across to me like a try-too -hard, fill the room glade air freshener.

Keep in mind this is all coming from someone who used to own a bottle and did a 180 to NOT liking the fragrance. This is the first time in my fragrance journey this has happened, so take that for what it is worth.

02 June, 2014

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

First Impression is Top Ingredients!

Lots of jasmine, neroli and woody notes from beginning to end.

Absolutely Love it and recommend it.

Excellent Longevity and sillage.

27 December, 2013

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

People keep comparing this to "JPG Le Male" so I was curious to see how this one smell like.
    I'm not a fan of Le Male and actually I hate it so lets see if I hate this one too!
    At the opening I can smell a sweet jasmine mixed with some neroli.
    The neroli note give the scent a semi fresh and almost citrusy aroma and based on the nature of this note, it does have a sharp floral and light soapy aroma as well.
    So the opening is a sweet, semi fresh floral scent with a bright soapy aroma.
    It does have the feeling of "JPG Le male" in general but they don't smell exactly the same.
    Le Male is a synthetic vanilla mixed with glass-cleaner aroma of lavender and it's terrible in my opinion, but this one has much better quality and it doesn't have that cleaner aroma like Le Male.
    As time goes by the fresh feeling of the scent fades away and I can smell more sweet jasmine with some woods from sandalwood and also some earthiness from vetiver but both are in the background and you need to search for them.
    In the base I can smell a sweet vanilla mixed with a little bit of vetiver and very weak floral notes.
    That's it.
    As I said the feeling of the scent is something like "JPG Le Male" but if you smell it carefully, you can detect more differences than similarities.
    I don't hate this, but I don't like it either!
    Both projection and longevity is awesome and it seems women like it so much!

23 December, 2013 (Last Edited: 28 June, 2014)

reveillee's avatar

Powdery Floral with Pepper

Not your typical Amouage.

Read all the bad comments about this fragrance before trying. Once I tried it, I agreed with most who gave it a poor review. Seemed overly synthetic, possibly too strong, and couldn't help but think this was made for a teenager. An Amouage frag friend kept telling me to keep trying it and that it was his favorite. I took his advice and after wearing it a few more times I did a complete 180 on the scent. It performs much better on my shirt than on my skin. Stays a little more fresh which helps with warmer weather.

Not one of my favorite Amouages but worthy of a nice size decant.

Try this one at least 5 times before discarding.

I now call it my "gulity pleasure" fragrance. We all have at least one. :)

Pros: Longevity, good all seasons
    Cons: Love/Hate type frag, may come off as overly synthetic

27 June, 2013

Tony T's avatar

overhyped and priced

I have worn my decant 3 days the past week and I must say that I am not impressed. it smells awesome but Mont Blanc Individuel is in the same category but costs way less. if you are unfamiliar with MBI plz give it a try.

Pros: great smell and longevity
    Cons: similiar to Individuel which is 7 times cheaper

16 June, 2013

sjg3839's avatar

Lightly sweet with a wood (oud) vibe and light spices. This one has a very light herbal note (probably the rosemary). In the mids you get a light leather note with a touch of bergamont and the amber relaxes it. Better suited for fall, winter and early spring. Great longevity on the one. 9 hours easy.

14 May, 2013

brcalifornia7's avatar

I have been debating on this fragrance for a while now since all of the youtube hype. About 6 months ago I purchased a sample and wore it a couple of times. I liked it but did not want to purchase a bottle at the time due to the price. A couple of weeks ago I purchased a bottle and have been wearing it ever since. Some thing clicked with the fragrance after spraying with the bottle. Funny thing is, I have been wearing it for over a week straight and I have a lot of fragrances. This is the only fragrance I have given this much attention to out of my collection. I love every thing about refection man now, from the sweet opening to the dry down. In the past week I have been asked many times what I am wearing, and that it smells nice and not offensive. This fragrance is extremely wearable. I would highly recommend giving this fragrance a wearing for at least a couple of days straight. If it does not appeal to you then maybe it could be your skin, as I think this is among my top 2 scents. Blended to perfection.

11th November, 2012

Scrappy's avatar

I'm sorry but this frag is not appealing to me. If you've spent a lot of time with Le Male you might have noticed once and a while you get a whiff of something disgusting hidden underneath that great smell. Reflection Man is that exact disgusting smell no one can put their finger on.

29 October, 2012

gimmegreen's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

The shapelessness of this leaves me a bit at a loss for the right descriptors: white flower miasma, not-quite-eucalyptus chest rub, bubble gum (hence the Le Male comparisons), chlorinated swimming pool water, sweet el-cheapo synthetic musks, napthalene, this perfume has them all and then a few. But it remains vague (not elusive, there’s a difference), somewhat sweetish and when there’s a glimpse of the sandal in the base one breathes a sigh of relief. To its credit, about 3 or 4 hours in this does cohere and becomes quite comforting but Amouage can do so much better. Lasts forever.

25 August, 2012

rbaker's avatar

This is an intensive and heavy oriental scent.  Initially heavy on sweet spice, it develops into jasmin-based flowery patchouli-heavy drydown. The at times sickly-overpowering sweetness settles and it becomes quite balanced with a hint of wood at later stages. On me it was quite cloying, projecting forcefully and lasting abut six hours.
    I could not wear this for work, but it is a sophisticated blends with a rich development; for me more an evening-out choice.

12 May, 2012

Bostonguy's avatar

The comparisons to Le Male are apt, at least at first. It's flowery and powdery at the top and definitely has a similarity to Le Male. It's a bit more peppery and has some green leafy notes, though, and seems slightly more complex. Longevity and sillage are nowhere near as potent as Le Male unless you really pour this on.

It's a sharp, almost bitter/powdery cologne with a lot of green and flower notes up front and dries down into a powdery and woody cologne. I don't get a lot of sillage here; very close to the skin after the opening blast.

This is something you'd smell on a guy in a nice suit who is planning on going to the bar after work looking for love. It smells higher end but has a very familiar (Le Male) body to it. For the price of a bottle you can do better, I think.

01st May, 2012

mrcologneguy's avatar

Weird fascination at first sniff, and it hasn't let up yet. Coming down to the last few drops of a generous department store sample, I sprang for a full bottle. It grows on you. If you haven't sniffed it you should think bizarre, bright, chemical air freshener. But it's much deeper in the uniquely so-bad-taste-it's-good style that Amouage is famous for. Seems to be a tweaked version of a bright, floral, somewhat watery, and "clean" aromachemical conflagration. On the too-sweet side for casual wear in public, unless you actually want to shock the hell out of innocent bystanders with the atomic sweet chemical cloud surrounding you. There are times when I actually crave an outre effect like that. To all other casual observers beware. This one is for fans of slightly disturbing and obnoxious fragrance statements. Your statement will be broadcast loud and clear.

12 April, 2012

's avatar

Love this smell. I am finding that I like the smell of neroli. There is no vanilla listed but it gives the feeling that it there is some in it. I have yet to find someone who is put off by the smell. 3 to 4 sprays on this one is all you need and lasts all day into the night, with the later hours being a lighter scent, but I kinda like it that way.

01st April, 2012

thespark's avatar

Egypt Egypt

Smells okay....for a pesticide. I'm not prone to exaggeration, but this is just awful. I received 3 complaints the first time I wore this! and someone sitting next to me actually had his hands over his nose, and was too polite to tell me I stank; it was very embarrassing. I'd only done two sprays on skin, not clothing. Avoid this.

17 March, 2012

Thomas-the-Promise's avatar

I LOOOOVE this one! Totally spring scent! Imagine a new biological beginning after winter and you get this one! Floral, sweet yes but also very fresh and well balanced...I even smell Mimosa although it is not listed as an ingredient. Probably the "youngest smelling" of the Amouage range.

Quite a bit waxy, jasmine, ylang-ylang, the exotic note, ...the whole fragrance smells like a sweet exotic flower or fruit. Also, I smell that Bazooka chewing gum note from back in the day that makes my saliva gland go, lol. A distinctively "wet" smelling fragrance: juicy, floral, rich, modern, sweet and a little pungent peppery.

A lighter oriental so an ideal daytime and great scent to get introduced to this extraordinary brand!

Nothing but love for this!

I will add this to my spring scent wardrobe as it is very uplifting! Think of it like a sip from a hot invigorating ginger tea!

14 March, 2012

LiteEmUpGood's avatar

This fragrance was amazing... at first. It lasted only 1-2 hours and then became a barely noticeable skin scent. For the 1-2 hours its amazing but there is NO way to justify spending the price of a full bottle. It smells great and projects well for the first 1-2 hours and then that's it, shows over. I do think that while this smells better than JPG LeMale I would not purchase it over LeMale.

13 March, 2012

Harvitz81's avatar

Big disappointment in this one. A very sweet, somewhat powdery floral mess. On opening the floral sweetness reigns king. If there is neroli in this, I don’t detect it. Instead I get the jasmine/rosemary laced with something very sweet. Sickening really. This persists for hours and maybe later on you can detect some hints of vetiver and sandalwood, but why would you want to wait 4-5 hours of disgustingness to get to this, which isn’t remarkable in its own right.

12 January, 2012

Notreveh's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Right after the 1º spray, we have in Reflection an explosion of a super sweet jasmine note. After 5 minutes the neroli starts to appear, but not a crude neroli, extremely herbal like in Bois Blond from Atelier Cologne. Here we have a slight sweet version of it, and that's it. This fragrance stays like that until the end without changing. Boring and without the standard quality of Amouage.

20th November, 2011 (Last Edited: 12 December, 2011)

Nouveau Nez's avatar

I'm new to the Amouage range so I have to believe that it will be all uphill from here. :) So far, all i'm getting after about 30 minutes in, is neroli and what to my nose smells like mimosa, though I don't see that listed as an official note. Certainly pleasant - even beautiful - but hardly remarkable in any $250 per bottle kind of way...

31st October, 2011

Balvon's avatar

Lithuania Lithuania

I think the Reflectio Man - classic men's fragrance. Pungent smell of the flauers feel good .Sharp, rich and comfotable. I like it that is suitable for use.

30th October, 2011

DocHolliday's avatar

I was really expecting a lot from this fragrance especially because of some recent hype. However upon smelling it I know why they call it reflection man. Its simple. This is how a rich old man on his death bed would smell while "reflecting" on his life. I will say this however, It is indeed very well blended.

04 October, 2011

Tabularasa's avatar

Sweden Sweden

I´m working my way through the Amouage lineup, and they´ve all rather impressed me thus far. The exception being this, obviously.

Not sure what I expected, judging from the notes listed, this is something I might like. Unfortunately, all that I get is a huge blast of floral, followed by cotton candy and corn mixed with death. Carnival at the mortuary perhaps?

24 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 19 August, 2011)

Oslo-Fjord's avatar

Norway Norway

Reflection man.. One of the few fragrances that made me feel sick! That was at the time I didn`t know how much to apply. The trick here is to go very light on the trigger. One spray extra can ruin this fragrance. One spray under the shirt, one spray on the fingertip and just dab it on your neck, and the result is perfect. It`s a type of fragrance that`s very nice to smell from time to time, but not on a everyday basis. Too much of it can give you a headache. If you like Le Male and Antico Caruso, you will probably like this also. I changed my rating from negativ to positiv, after I "learned" the right way to apply it. Used sparingly, It`s actualy quite sexy and unique. Smells very expensive. The bottle is a work of art.

18 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 23 October, 2011)

silentrich's avatar

Though it's not the most beautiful or exotic fragrance by Amouage, it's very versatile and still retains the quality that you'd expect from this house. It does have comparisons to Le Male, but there's so much more to this than a Le Male clone. It's blended so well it's hard to pick out the individual notes and the overall smell is intoxicating. Sillage and longevity are excellent and the quality of ingredients are undeniable. If your looking for a modern fragrance with some sex appeal this is the one. In my opinion this one is actually worth the money because you can wear it on a daily basis. Most Amouages are glorified scent candles.

08 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 26 July, 2011)

El Argentino's avatar

Well, for the retail price of this one, I feel that it should blow you away on all fronts. And while it is one of the most unique scents I've ever smelled, I can't say that I was immediately taken by it.

It's intriguing to be sure, and it makes me want to wear it again to try to figure it out more, but it just lacked a "killer" nature to it, as apparently Jubliation XXV has (according to reviews I've read/watched/gathered). Something that just captures you and leaves you enthralled.

Upon smelling it for the first time, the pepper in it struck me most quickly. Not in a put-offish way, but definitely a nostril burner if you're not expecting it. I could also pick up some powdery florals (most likely jasmine/orchid). At application, the neroli and bitter orange came out a bit more - moreso than just smelling it from the bottle. About 30 minutes in, I also got a phase of the scent where it smelled like "blackened Dr. Pepper", the best way I can describe it. It projected it's top and middle notes very well for about 5 hours before it began to settle down into the sandalwood and vetiver (the two listed base notes that I could most easily identify). It definitely gets sweeter as it goes along, but never approaches Creed-sweetness ( which is the only other niche brand with which I've had experience).

I think it's an intriguing scent, and I want to wear it again. For sure, it's not a day-to-day sort of deal, so I think my 30mL split will suit its nature nicely. I enjoy it, but just wish it possessed that "capture you" trait I had originally anticipated.

17 April, 2011

FumeHood's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Two words: VICKS VAPORUB

... just a tad more expensive and harder to carry on airplanes. More tragic - it denies the wearer of the hipster nature associated with the toting of a true "perfume solid". So essentially no fun at all.

Oh, and one more thing: Reflection Man doesn't actualy clear up nasal congestion.

I would suggest sticking to your grandpa's original Vaporub, in all of its mentholated glory.

Sorry, I should be more sensitive to the lovers of this one, as I do have a huge appreciation for this house, the absolute quality in every release, and the fact that this scent will likely NOT have such strongly cheap/medicinal/antiseptic associations in many fans of Reflection Man.

This really is the scent of too many after-workout sports balms for strained muscles. I wonder if this is a very American association. (And I equate it to frequent references to "urinal cakes" in some fragrances by British posters where I get no such association. Urinal cakes must not employ a global fragrance, or otherwise I really dig the scent of a UK urinal). Reflection Man is obviously of a higher quality and blended to perfection, but at the end of the day it is a sweeter, more peppery version of a common scent wafting through locker rooms and in little tubs on bedside tables and bears little resemblance to the absolute lush opulence of most Amouage scents.

28 March, 2011 (Last Edited: 22 April, 2011)

alfarom's avatar

No way! Reflection Man is unaffordably sweet on my skin, no pepper, no rosemary, no vetiver to my nose. It's just an horrible blast of sweet jasmine and something else I can't really distinguish. intrusive and sticky it gives me headache in a couple of minutes. It's not a "bad" fragrance, I'd rather say it's a "really bad one" and from an over $250 scent I expect much more (much more)! This time you failed.The point is still the same: "This is real life, is anybody at Amouage connected?"

14 March, 2011 (Last Edited: 04 April, 2011)

Jack Hunter's avatar

This scent just rubs me the wrong way with it been to powdery sweet. It reminds me of a sickly version of joop.

04 February, 2011