Negative Reviews of French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Find out more about French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

noideawhatimsaying's avatar

Just awful. Smells like ashy smoke...with some orange.

20th April, 2013

Tony T's avatar

vegetal/green/leathery/earthy. not to my liking really but i see the time spent in the lab to come up with this concoction. aramis 900 comes to mind which i also dislike but not hate. i hate this for the fact it is niche and priced over 200 bucks..

07th March, 2013

Flaconneur's avatar

Bois d'Orage in two words, dank basement.

12th January, 2011

kiddo's avatar

Germany Germany

Yikes!

This has definitely been a scrubdown for me!

Offending to my nose and like ammoniak.

I pretested FL on a cardboard and my kitchen very soon smelled like cheap obtrousive after shave.

It was breath taking odor and i was happy to take out the trash (where this cardboard pretty soon went the night before).

Great lasting power though.

17th November, 2010

Larimar's avatar

Austria Austria

Does the French lover smell like this? *LOL*
    Forgive me my sarcasm, but this such an uncharming fragrance! Seduction - no! Beautiful - no! Sexy - no!
    This is the stereotype of what men thought they had to smell like in the 1980s in order for their manliness not being questioned...

22nd June, 2010

angelica's avatar

I wish I'd got the tourist's unwashed whore as that would have been a whole lot more interesting that what I did get: aftershave.

13th March, 2010

the_tourist's avatar

As I read through the thumbs-up reviews here, I feel as though I'm reviewing a completely different fragrance (mine is an official sample from Barney's in Chicago, just for the record). I get the bitter citrus of Terre d'Hermes atop a horrific fecal/skin/musk accord... no incense, no woods. The only "French lover" here is an unwashed whore in a 19th-century Parisian brothel.

28th October, 2009

everso's avatar

as other Malle fragrances often do...this one makes me feel sick as well with its cloying nature. a generic niche scent.....i didn't know it was possible, but now i'm sure it is. there's nothing remarkable about this scent at all, except for the fact that it costs over $200 a bottle....definitely not worth it....especially for such a pedestrian scent.

16th December, 2008

Joe_Frances's avatar

The words that come to mind with Bois d'Orage are: harsh and off-putting. On the political side: it's radically anti-establishment. This is a fragrance for Camus or Satre. "If you don't like what I am wearing, well what is that to me, eh? You do not understand." It is the polar opposite of Blenheim Bouquet, which can also be off putting (at first), and has been described, correctly, I think, as aristocratic. "My fragrance? Well, I am not entirely sure, madam, whether I am actually wearing a fragrance. Perhaps you are mistaken?" While I truly prefer unabashedly masculine fragrances, and despise some so-called "men's fragrances" that are too floral or too sweet, this is at the other extreme. It could use a dash of something nice in it. All in all, not a fragrance I could warm up. I guess I am not a radical enough to understand.

29th September, 2008

musclegod007's avatar

Wow! this is the first lame FM scent, no attitude, no sillage, 7% concentration. I don't get it. It doesn't smell niche to me. don't waste your money.

Update- Spoke to Frederic Malle last week about this scent, and the disappointment with the sillage, and dry down........I LOVE IT WHEN I"M RIGHT!!! he did say that he adjusted the concentration to it's original strengh 9%. to make it stronger, he also adjusted the formula.....right from the horse's mouth! P-natra however, that sweet basenote that comes in at the end, does not fit the opening or heart of the composition, and while it lasts, it stays too close to the skin thus, Skinscent. I still think that it's a failed fragrance. if you want to spend 200. on a skinscent with lame projection..this one for you.
    THUMBS WAY DOWN!! however, tried Escentric02 last week as well. Now this engine purrs stays dry to the end, and has a stronger TONIC effect for almost half the price.

23rd May, 2007 (Last Edited: 26th May, 2008)