Reviews

Neutral Reviews of L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Intense by Issey Miyake

While people say it's very similar to the original I'm not agree with them and to my nose it's something different with only a few similarities.
The opening of this fragrance is smoky incense note with very light woodsy notes in the background. the famous floral notes of Issey Miyake house is there and noticeable sweetness following the other notes.
The floral notes exist and this is the part that people may compare it to the original, but because of other notes the floral notes smell different than the original. at least to my nose!
In the mid the incense settles down and you can smell stronger woodsy notes mixed with floral notes and more sweetness.
In the base you have light floral and woodsy notes and the smell changes to a soapy scent.
Projection and longevity is good but it's not great.
Good juice which is pleasant and quality but there is nothing really unique or exciting about it.
01st June, 2014
Smokier, darker version of the original. The first hour feels too harsh and dirty, but thankfully it develops into something more balanced and enjoyable. The basenotes turn out to be very nice indeed. This is no teenage fragrance. It will suit the more mature lads in my opinion because of the smokey, darker vibe. Very good projection and longevity.

Almost a thumbs up, if it wasn't that bitter, harsh first hour.
17th December, 2012
I think my skin must have totaled this one. There is a monstrous and looming cilantro note that pervades every phase of the scent, like an obnoxious youth in the olfactory equivalent of 'photo-bombing.' There is a light, powdery lemon and chocolate smell underneath, kind of like a softer Hanae Mori, and some light woods, but this just isn't working out for me.
05th June, 2012
I had high hopes for this one - it smells great, but it has no longevity, and within no more than 2 hours in turns into a skin scent. So definitely for those get close evenings - otherwise save your money and look elsewhere.
20th April, 2012
Having just reviewed the original, I'm now exploring its even stranger flanker. The opening is very nice: a just slightly sweetened cedarwood, like Azzaro Visit or Gucci Rush but without any of their harshness. I suspect the sweetness comes from violet, which I don't normally like but I can deal with such a small amount for now. The middle becomes sweeter still (though still not much compared to most of the competition) and presents more dried leaves and twigs than cedar; here the two scents have diverged enough in the ratios of their notes to be in different categories altogether. One problem here, though, is that what little astringence there is is more of a nose-burn than in the original. The vague purple aura of violets annoys me more in the base, even though it still contributes very little sweetness. Sniffing back at the original, I'm disappointed that the Intense lacks that specific type of sharpness which I liked so much, though I can respect the dirt and wood that it adds in its place. I'm giving it a neutral thumb because I'm not quite sure on what terms to evaluate it. Definitely more outdoorsy and less mechanical than the original.
05th September, 2011
A shadowy, somewhat dark, amber, incensey sort of l'Eau d'issey with the notable spicy prickly edge from cardamom and a less floral presence in the composition. The beginning is spicy and almost off putting, different from its predecessor initial phase cause the pungent temperament from the spices starts rising immediately from the back, turning out in a less airy and cloudy way the "original" aroma (which by now appears veiled and far less radiant). The base is proper to a smooth heavy chypre. The outcome is an hybrid, a sort of moody, spicy and woody aquatic with a metallic starting trait, an incensey dusty soul and with a smoother (but darker) base (grey amber and benzoin).
03rd February, 2011 (last edited: 08th January, 2014)
The scent seeks to be "warm and noble." Not really.
Has an interesting spicy-incense opening which is quite different from the Pour Homme (regular).
Then from time to time there is an vague and odd perfumey-plasticine note.
A bit aquatic and fresh, in the tiresome way that so many CB I Hate Perfumes have -- a metallic, shallow note.
13th December, 2010 (last edited: 04th March, 2011)
INTENSE??!! This is "intense" during 10 minutes, and after that, you really need to be close to smell anything.
22nd July, 2010
good evening scent for a very mature guy. berry opening drys down to a warm masculine tobacco musk. wouldn't recommend for teens maybe some college kids could pull it off. overall good scent
12th April, 2010
For those who enjoy the original, this would be a step down for apart from the short-lived intensity of the opening, the rest is just watered down "ho-hums".

Clearly a flanker release riding on the popularity of the original, L'Eau d'Issey pH Intense is ostensibly target-marketed to a generation of youthful consumers bred on a diet of fads, and who probably think the original is a 'vintage' worn by their uncles. But for the somewhat jaded nose, classify this under 'generic'.

Notes
*******
Top: mandarin, orange, bergamot, yuzu
Middle: cardamom, cinnamon, saffron, nutmeg, blue water lily
Base: papyrus, black incense, benzoin, grey amber
18th January, 2010
Although it is not a difficult task, I actually prefer this to the original. A brief,tart, yet fruity opening is quickly replaced with a smoked spice accord that lingers for several hours. This middle phase is quite long lived, but it does usher in a rather disappointing phase towards the end, that lacks the simple pleasures of the previous phases. The dry down is a little too meek and lacks the warmth and interest that the heart notes have. All in all, not a bad effort, but not quite worthy of a bottle purchase.

01st August, 2009
The grey liquid belies the rather fresh and vibrant opening of bergamot, so called yuzu lemon and sweet orange (I guess that's 'normal' orange). A bit bitter, probably due to the bitter orange (bergamot) and the yuzu, also bitter. Wiling away a quarter of an hour you will notice this fragrance taking on a new facet. A very weird concoction; cooking spices of cardamom and saffron and an attempt to save the midnotes from culinary oblivion with an additon of a sweet floral note - 'blue water lily'. This hardly works as I get constant diffusions of comestible notes, as though I was invited to partake in a bowl of jalfresi. This pervades into the basenotes where I find it hard to pick up any amber or benzoin notes and very little frankincense at all. Is it the so-called 'papyrus' that I get then? I wouldn't know as I have never smelled papyrus; I can only imagine it to be like the smell of an old book, almost a sweet old paperback. But the base for me mostly smells of tobacco, and I don't know if that is a note here, but that's what I get. I don't think this an improvement on the original Eau D'Issey and maybe it will smell better in the heat of the summer, but I am not wild about it, so only a neutral thumbs here.
12th December, 2008
I really don't detect anything of the original L'Eau d'Issey in this. It's a different beast altogether, in my opinion. The top two notes I detect are cinnamon (the artificial kind, like you'd smell on those craft brooms in an art/hobby store) and a stony, raw talc smell. After that comes musk and a bit of saffron and various other spices mixed in. There's also a dry sweetness throughout. As another reviewer noted, the fragrance doesn't change or develop much, if at all. What you smell at first is what you get.

This is definitely a winter/evening cologne, and fits into the "oriental" category to me (i.e. best worn by a mustachioed, furry chested, dark skinned man wearing gold chains :P ). Also, as previously stated, it doesn't last very long, so you may be tempted to put on a little extra before going out.... DON'T, as it's pretty noxious when over-applied. If you can, just carry it with you and *lightly* spritz it on every few hours.

All in all not bad. It's not an everyday scent, at least not to me. Try before you buy (as you should with almost any cologne!).
30th October, 2008
Guess what? Not like the 'original'. The original having a fresh green metallic scent, this is more... gray and sweeter but still fresh. Another instance were names don't make any sense. Still, a nice scent just don't be fooled. Doesn't last as long as the 'original' either.
02nd September, 2008
Initial burst of citrus only lasts for 1 minute. Then the smoky, woody with just a tiny hint of spice scent.......appears. Smells very masculine yet young. Longevity is not that great. Just around 4 hours. Sillage is very discreet and personal especially after 1 hour. I just wish the smoky woody scent would lasts forever.....
21st May, 2008
Honestly, they didn't really need to do this one...That should explain it all!
11th June, 2007