Neutral Reviews of Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

Find out more about Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Fougère

I'm afraid it's wet blanket time for Narciso Rodriguez.

Narciso Rodriguez goes on with very bright, sweet citrus notes and an aquatic – melon accord that moves quickly into the foreground. This melon is thicker and less natural than that in Millésime Imperial, and it rests upon a powdery foundation that soon reveals itself to be cedar. The tutti-frutti accord doesn’t persist, and I have no complaints about that. Its retreat reveals the cedar more fully, along with a pleasantly bitter green note (violet leaf?) and a touch of fresh resin that just might be cypress. As it dries down the scent continues to dry up – becoming more stark, aromatic, and woody by the minute. What eventually emerges is a blend of still-bitter green notes, dry cedar, and sharp vetiver over a foundation of light musk. Nice enough, but far from earth-shattering.

20th June, 2014

MFfan310's avatar

I loved this fragrance at first. Now, I'm indifferent to it.

After having a professor in college who wore Grey Flannel, I realized that Narciso Rodriguez for Him is basically a modernized version of Grey Flannel, right down to the violet. This is not a bad thing. What is bad is that I learned that I was anosmic to the drydown - a shame because the top and middle notes are really good.

So I sold my bottle.

14th November, 2013

jotalopez75's avatar

Colombia Colombia

This is one of the rarest fragrances I've ever smelled. For me this is a mix of Chanel's Antaeus and Hugo Boss's Just Different. This one is heavy blast of spicy, musky and animalistic notes (is it cat pee?) captured in a fantastic bottle. I agree with those that say it smells like wet pavement and lots of violet leaf, though I would add it has tons of musk and amber. Somehow it reminds of masculine fragrances that were so popular back in the 80's (Lapidus, Antaeus, Xeryus), which I can barely tolerate in the 2010's. Though not a bad fragrance at all, it lacks versatility (because of its highly complex notes) but instead has excellent projection and sillage. Great for guys who are into old man-like fragrances, and definitely not for everyone. That being said, try it before you buy it, and make sure to have kleenex tissues, just in case.

04th April, 2013

Wise Owl's avatar

Very much like an up to date, more refined version of One Man Show. Like the Jacques Bogart creation it's a very cold, very industrial fragrance and the grey box and bottle suit it perfectly. Not a scent that i'd imagine would be a big complement getter, but it does have a certain distant and aloof charm to it. Doesn't quite do enough for me to give it a thumbs up, but if you're looking for a fragrance that's a bit different and slightly out of the ordinary then you can definitely do worse.

14th February, 2013

Hojji77's avatar

Perhaps the highest compliment to be paid to this fragrance is that no one seems to know what to make of it--reviewers have called it everything from cold and nasty to warm and Christmassy. I find it a bit cold, if not exactly nasty--it's more abstract and oblique than anything else. I agree that there's a strong inorganic top--concrete as people have mentioned, maybe tennis balls a little. Then there's just a veil, a scrim, a gray and unevocative fougere that you can't penetrate. I guess whether you read it as mystery or mere superficiality depends on you.

25th July, 2012 (Last Edited: 13th August, 2012)

MakeMyEyesBurn's avatar

Really really like the opening.. as in the 1st 10 minutes...I can see the wet concrete reference a little bit.
    After 10 minutes, im bored and want to wash it off.
    Maybe violets/lavenders don't seem to last long enough for me.

There are better frags out there and the ratio to thumbs up/ thumbs down should be your clue to move on and try something else.

Giving it a neutral...barely

21st September, 2011

ironduke's avatar

South Korea South Korea

Curiously coincides with smell of Korean brand Spearmint gum. Drydown is different though since gum do not have drydown. Not bad, but too familiar to make an longlasting impression beside "Oh it smells like a spearmint gum!".

20th June, 2011

JDBIII's avatar

Once Tania said it was "a well-made fragrance for mean, forgettable people" I knew I had to have it. And, in the winter, she was right. It smelled like cold concrete. Bare, harsh and mean. But I put it on again today in the warmth of spring and was very surprised by the difference. It is lovely and totally inoffensive. The concrete is still there, but now it is beneath my feet, and the world is filled with green notes. This is modern and substantial but not beautiful or glorious. I enjoy the construction and the idea, but I fear that it will never rise from the middle of the pack. Except in the deep winter.

19th April, 2010

I smelled the violet leaf immediately on application as I do with most fragrances with that prominent offending note. I don’t get the melon note at all – it is completely suffocated; but beneath that violet leaf I do smell an aromatic green softened by a very nice amber and light musk. This softer, more subtle accord is quite attractive and enjoyable. After an hour, the violet disappears leaving an excellent, long lasting green / amber accord cleaving close to the skin…

Narciso Rodriguez for Men is obviously a nicely put together fragrance. In spite of the violet leaf it becomes a pleasant skin scent after that first hour of olfactory torture… I can only hope the inclusion of violet leaf in new releases runs it course one of these days.

19th January, 2010

OlfactoryExperience's avatar

Has anyone noticed that this is very similar to Versace Black Jeans? Well, they are both cut from the same floral dominant cloth but VBJ dries down to a very dry, leathery masculine aroma while NR stays woody and floral. NR is very strong and long lasting so make sure you like it before you dowse yourself in it. I really don't care for either of them.

15th August, 2009 (Last Edited: 31st August, 2009)

marioslg's avatar

Cyprus Cyprus

Definetely for the winter, this strong male perfume is not for very young people especially like the one of it's reklama.
    nice but strange, masculine, but not one of may favourities.

17th April, 2009

Pollux's avatar

Argentina Argentina

The first impression I got from Narciso Rordriguez for Him (NRfH) was... "this is very original and weird". After this, I realized analogous notes as those of Sisley's Eau de Campagne (SEdC).

Thus, I can't review NRfH without mentioning its main reference (SEdC): the logical thing to do is to compare notes as mentioned by the Base Notes Directory -

Sisley's Eau de Campagne:

Top notes: bergamot, lemon, basil, wild herbs, galbanum
    Mid: tomato leaves, lily of the valley, jasmine, geranium, plum
    Base: oak moss, patchouli, vetiver, musk

Narciso Rodriguez for Him:

Violet Leaf, Patchouli, Amber, Musk.

Well, so far, I must be wrong, ga ga or else, suffering from some sort of olfactory condition since common notes are just not that many: please do grant me the benefit of the doubt - I tried NRfH at a shopping mall and Sisley's EdC hand to hand once at home and the top notes, after one hour, were very similar. Take Eau de Campagne by Sisley top notes and make them strong as a perfume: both are green, but NR's is far from subtle.

After two hours, EdC's subtleness settles close to the skin while NR's stills lingers there. At that point, mid and base notes analogies dissapear, since the animalic and orientals notes in NRfH prevail.

Thus, if your are the sort of fragrance lover into "gentlemanly" or "well to do / classy" scents, conservative in style and demeanor, capable of enjoying Eaux de Colognes albeit their limited longevity and very shy sillage, or the EdTs with points in common with them, you will surely feel confident with Sisley's Eau de Campagne. Now, if your prefer scents that are bold, akin to "a la page" styles and / or lover of notoriousness, choose the later. Either way you won't be decieved, since both reflect these different styles in a very honest, transparent way.

05th April, 2009

moltening's avatar

Thailand Thailand

I spy. I spy a wet dog rolling on the cement. It gets a lil too playful and gets nauseous. Then it vomits out the leaves and sweets it ate earlier for afternoon tea.

Actually, it's not that bad. Just not for me at all.

11th January, 2009

Bartlebooth's avatar

I wanted this to run across the street and embrace me, but all I got was a polite little wave. Sadly it has not got the class to get away with being so discreet. The opening waft of Violets promised much, but they disappeared to leave me with Fahrenheit light.

It is not terrible, and I can imagine it being used as a muted autumnal daily, or an evening freshener if your better stuff is running low, but it really is not as good as it thinks it is.

Give this as a gift to your friends, and you will know you will always smell better than the recipient.

19th December, 2008

DULLAH's avatar

Turkey Turkey

It's alright.
    Not too sweet, but a little too much flowers.
    Also I smell fresh cut Green Bell & Poblano Peppers.
    It's cool. Different.

20th November, 2007

Ayala's avatar

For Him opens with a disturbing bouquet of both dry cement and wet concrete, unrecognizable spices and a honey note. The intrigue dissipates quickly when the scent becomes a familiar, I’ve-smelled-this-before modern fougere accord – a hint of fake herabceous water, a glimpse of violet leaf coolness. The dry down settles within about an hour – a close to the skin, rather soft, undecisive mélange of amber and musk (it is also said to contain patchouli, but I can’t say I am recognizing any). Nothing offensive in the drydown, and the sillage is soft and non overpowering – the contrary of what I’ve expected after the magical sillage and staying power of For Her (it has a tendency to stay everywhere after it was applied, and even withstand a laundry – yet it does it with a nice touch of mischevious elegance – almost like Josephine’s deliberate musk contamination before leaving Napoleon’s palaces). The only thing that truly stands out (if you take a very close look) is an animalic ambergris note, somewhat fecal, but with such low-key vibrations it can never offend and uness you’ve smelled it before it would be very hard to put your finger on it. And this might just be its chance for success, despite its overall rigidity.

21st October, 2007