Reviews of Sushi Imperiale by Bois 1920

Find out more about Sushi Imperiale by Bois 1920 in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

michailG's avatar

quite excellent

BOIS 1920 offers fragrances that are excellent and potent but a bit old fashioned. I have tried RR, VdV and SI and from the three I find Sushi Imperial the most wearable one. As the other BOIS 1920 Sushi Imperial too has outstanding silage and longevity. But it also has a somewhat modern feeling to it, that makes it more agreeable. SI is however not an outstanding composition ... to me too it is somehow familiar. I think that it reminds me of Le Péché by Eisenberg which I remembered I liked. I don't understand the name Sushi Imperial but then neither do I understand Vento nel Vento! By the way, Sushi Imperial seems not to be in production, or at least BOIS 1920 doesn't list it anymore in their website.

Pros: outstanding silage and longevity
    Cons: not so original composition"

03rd September, 2013

TheDivineMrsM's avatar

Warm, inviting, slightly boozy, fruity, spicy.....just some of the reasons that as soon as the weather gets colder, out comes my Sushi.

21st June, 2012

alfarom's avatar

I'm honestly getting tired of companies pretending we buy old fragrances with new names. Sushi Impreiale smells nice but it smells just like tones of spicy orientals of the last couple of decades. Opium Pour Homme anyone?

29th April, 2012

Stallone Italiano's avatar

nice oriental perfume
    love this notes!

19th December, 2011

stefftaylor's avatar

I owned this a few years ago and for some reason got rid of it, but recently came back to it and LOVE it. It's spicy and warm with no vanilla - big bonus since vanilla seems to be the base note of every spicy fragrance out there now. My biggest complaint is that it lasts only a few hours. I also like Sandolo and The from the same line.

11th August, 2011

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Lovely name, not so lovely fragrance. Too much cinnamon, but one of the best cinnamon out there. Maybe I just don't like cinnamon, but with a name like Sushi Imperiale I was hoping for more ginger than cinnamon And the nutmeg only adds insult to injury. Works best on unbathed skin; blends well with pubic follicles. And that is its only saving grace.

08th August, 2010

rickbr's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Premium price for opium pour homme. I canno`t understand why a niche company would do this.

05th April, 2010

holyzoo's avatar

Sushi Imperiale is a deliciously spicy pepper/nutmeg/cinnamon juice, which I found to be very much like al02 by biehl parfumkunstwerke. Between the two of them, I bought a bottle of al02, and decided to get a small decant of Sushi. I later started reading about Opium PH, wondering if I should get a hold of it, but since these are apparently similar, I'll stick to Sushi. It's a top shelf spicy frag that is light enough to welcome using it for layering on others.

23rd March, 2010

Master-Classter's avatar

My first review, yay!

Tried some of this last night, upon first sniff my impressions were an opening of muddled citrus with a notion of some cinnamon on the way. After some time, and in retrospect after wearing, the overall impression I got was a sweet but not cloying warm gourmand focused around a peppery cinnamon note with a bit of fruitiness in there too. I'd say it's fairly "refined" and not to be mistaken for something "cheap", which frankly at the price it isn't. It felt a bit like a warm “aura”, projecting without offending. Only having worn it once I can’t testify to the longevity or sillage with confident but with so few reviews I wanted to add something to the mix.

I don't think this is groundbreaking, very pleasant, but there are better alternatives along the same lines IMO. Glad I tried it just to know what it's like, but I wouldn't suggest rushing out to find it.

Alternatives? Within a few minutes of wearing, it started to smell quite "familiar". After some thought I realized why, it's a lot like Hermessence Ambre Narguile. What S.I. doesn’t have though is a certain “sparkle” that the Narguile has. There's some overlap with Opium PH as others have said but I find Opium has the anise, which is a bit "sharper" on my nose as well as the black current.

17th March, 2010

Bartlebooth's avatar

A generously spiced fragrance that dries into a very entertaining husk. The opening is a slightly synthetic citric production, which initially obscures the emerging cinnamon. For me, the opening is largely superflous,and adds nothing to the general quality of Sushi Imperiale.

It is in the heart notes that the beauty exists - pepper,nutmeg and cinnamon in bountiful quantities, but nicely balanced. The floral elements in the heart create a counterpoint to the spicier elments, but it is the anise that adds a welcome astringency to the otherwise predictable direction it was heading in. The dry down is sparer, but lightly sweetened and arid. With good longevity and consistent quality, it comfortably earns its high mark from me.

16th December, 2009

LiveJazz's avatar

I love the citrus and nearly edible spices - the cinnamon is particularly nice - in the opening. It is a very attractive accord that has me excited to experience the rest of the evolution. Unfortunately, this scent does not open and up and deepen, as most orientals do. The edible baking spices and citrus fade out completely and I get a rather boring, synthetic smelling anise and light tonka combo in the base. This is reasonably attractive, but there's no depth here. I'll pass, at this price.

09th October, 2009 (Last Edited: 19th November, 2009)

Oslo-Fjord's avatar

Norway Norway

Very high quality. IMO, a more feminin version of Opium PH EDP, without the Black currant note. A very comforting scent, but if you already got Opium Pour Homme EDP, you don`t need this one!

27th September, 2009

ChrisJPN's avatar

Japan Japan

I, too, thought the use of sushi in the name was a strange choice. I live in Japan but I'm not a huge sushi eater. My Japanese wife, however, insists this evokes the very high quality, slightly sweet fish used in very expensive sushi. The type that costs $10-20 per piece. So there you go...

Regardless, this is a lovely scent. At first, it almost reminded me of Sequoia by CdG but not exactly... There's something familiar about the opening that I can't place. As somebody else said, the dry down is exactly like a more subtle version of Opium Pour Homme. I consider it a good warm weather alternative (not to discount it as a winter fragrance, I haven't had chance to try yet but I'm sure it'll be just as good). It has good staying power and smells rich and detailed but it's never overpowering or too aggressive.

Personally, I love it.

16th June, 2009

Bright citrus and sweet opening: It comes off quite gourmand on my skin… gourmand and a bit synthetic, but in all a unique, interesting, and enjoyable accord that holds the opening and middle notes, gradually waning, for an hour or two. It’s a satisfying aroma… it is gourmand but I don’t think of it as foody because of the light, sweet aromatics accompanying it – must be the anise. To my nose the anise is very well behaved and doesn’t become cloying nor does it mutate to become licorice; it just remains an interesting sweet, spicy, and maybe rosy skin scent. The only movement the anise accord makes is its dimming. By the time the drydown is reached, the fragrance is a pleasing skin scent.

This scent has something in it that reminds me of another scent, but I can’t put my finger (nose) on what it reminds me of. I cannot help but feel that there is a conflict or contrast – it exhibits originality and yet there's something familiar about it. The conflict that I AM sure of is the contrast between its engaging, unique aroma and the fragrance’s very real subtlety and discreetness. Sushi Imperiale is an engaging and unusual / familiar offering; it is an excellent scent that has rather subtle sillage after a few minutes and good longevity.

19th February, 2009

fountaingirl's avatar

This works just right with my chemistry to become heaven. It is sweet and honeyed, a little musky, spicy, round. The opening is almost sickly sweet and I think "why do I love this again??" but if I hang in for five minutes, it becomes warm and rich and glowing sweetness and then, "oh yes I remember, how could I ever forget?" and I'm in love again.

Bottle worthy!

12th January, 2009

SirSlarty's avatar

A citrus alternative to Chanel's Egoiste.

22nd November, 2008

martin82's avatar

Is it just me or does Sushi Imperiale smell almost identical to the first half hour of opium pour homme edt. Its a nice fragrance and the lasting power is very good.

21st September, 2008

odysseusm's avatar

Top: citrus (bergamot, mandarin, lemon)
    Heart: spices (pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon) and jasmine, rose, anise
    Base: vanilla and woody notes (sandalwood, patchouli, vetiver, tonka beans)
    I got this expanded list off the Net and it jibes with what I’m smellin’.
    First I’ll have a mild grumble about the name. I can imagine a scent that actually might evoke a sushi-like vibe: it could have a marine note, a wasabi kick, some dark soy… and that would be an interesting sort of thing. Sushi Imperiale has absolutely nothing to do with sushi. So why the name? I suppose because it is an oriental style of scent. But Japanese minimalism and focus (seen for example in some of the Comme des Garçons line) is the antithesis of the rich, spicy, luxurious oriental style of fragrance. Giving this scent the name ‘sushi’ suggests a simplistic marketing attitude of “hey, let’s pick an oriental-sounding name that no one has used yet.”
    Enough of that line, what about the scent? It is a beautiful oriental, to be sure. That style is not my cup of tea but I can note what’s here. The citrus opening is so brief as to be undetectable, at least on my skin. I immediately get interesting spices, which are peppery and warm. These are softened by floral notes. Vanilla and patchouli emerge and the scent gets sweet, soft, opulent, slightly foody. So it is a nice scent, some may enjoy it.

23rd July, 2008

lizzie_j's avatar

I love the opening salvo of this fragrance; vanilla, gingerbread & the aroma of baking cinnamon cookies. Unfortunately, after about 20 minutes, the fragrance is all pepper and licorice on my skin. Gone is the lovely comforting Christmas spice. The Grinch takes over.

08th June, 2008

bugsyiii's avatar

Very spicy in a very good way, smell of Christmas in the air. Love this fragrance.

26th November, 2007

fredricktoo's avatar

there are no scents of raw fish in this

it smells like a terrific salad dressing though

08th August, 2007