Reviews of Louve by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Find out more about Louve by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

warmlightsunsea's avatar

The opening on this was marvelous--I love almond scents, and I am still in search of a sweet and lasting one that is true to life but not too cloying. However, the almond notes vanished relatively quickly, leaving behind a kind of generic floral powdery scent--almost like baby powder. Disappointing.

10th January, 2014

gimmegreen's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

My curiosity about Louve was piqued upon reading an interview with a French actor (I forget whom) who said words to the effect that she immediately knew this was for her and she could not be without it. That kind of diehard love is usually a signifier of a degree of individuality and Louve does not disappoint on that score.
    The opening surge of bitter almonds brought visions of Miss Marple running from the scene of the crime, a lace-edged handkerchief clasped over her nose, muttering, ‘Cyanide gas...’ It’s a pretty shocking, no-compromise start, but the transitions start almost straight away. The almond softens considerably, grows marzipan-like for a while, there’s a suggestion of pink rosiness and, in time, the overall feel becomes more and more like cherry kisses. The volume also perceptibly drains away and the skin scent that is left is mainly candied cherries, with a hint of lactones and a little soft almond. It may not be for everyone, but I enjoyed the journey immensely (particularly the stage when the floral notes come into view) and found the destination to be a place of comfort. I do wish it would project just a little bit more, though.

30th July, 2012

Aznavour's avatar

Mostly almond with a hint of cherries over a mild vanillic base. Will not win you any cool points with your ~edgy iconoclast~ perfume friends, but is nevertheless a well-made, easy-to-wear fragrance that's feminine but not cloyingly girly.

12 December, 2011

pigasus27's avatar

Smells like Jergens Original Scent with more punch. A simple mélange of cherry, almonds, and vanilla.

30th August, 2010

BayKAT's avatar

I sprtized this on my decollete and thought "Whoa! how did Mom's christmas cookies end up in my shirt???"

You know, the ones you cut with cookie cutters and then cover with thick frosting and little candies? I like these on a tray, just not on my person. Moving on...

Dry down gets better. Love the warm, resinous rose note that radiates out in concentric circles like slow moving molasses (yep, that sweet kick never goes anywhere)

This phase is along the lines of Caron's Pour une Femme, another warm, silky rose fragrance. But Une Femme pairs the rose with incense instead of amber and resins, whihch works better for me (as does the price, which is much less)

Like DoctorMod I was drawn to smelling my sweet self, and I don't really have any complaints about this other than i'm sure the persistant almond note would wear on me after a while. But try it if you can!

31st July, 2010

Doctor Mod's avatar

I didn't really have high hopes for Louve, though I now see that my doubts were without foundation. I had a sample and I was prepared to use it on a quiet Sunday afternoon when there was no one to bother besides myself.

Oh my my my my! My first thought was "wine?" But not exactly. No wine ever smelled this rich and sweet. It was more like some fabulous apertif or brandy--Berry? Cherry? Spicy too--too gorgeous, too luxurious to be written off as just another gourmand.

Then, just as I was fully appreciating its intoxicating headiness, it all seemed to vanish. (Well, I thought, maybe I need a bigger sample.) Or did it? Throughout the rest of the day and evening an occasional whiff of sensual sweetness would creep up on me, and even after a lengthy nap (and competing with the BenGay rubbed into an extremely stiff and painful knee), it was clinging to the bedclothes, even lovelier than before!

Louve has great longevity (stronger and vastly more complex now than it was twelve hours ago) and a sillage that is sufficiently strong while not overpowering.

It is not often that I simply want to sneak off and smell myself, gratified by the thought that I truly smell beautiful--but I do when I'm wearing Louve.

07 June, 2010

msleslie's avatar

This smells like the day I was wearing Keiko Mecheri's Loukhoum at home, and splashed on some Coco later when going out. It was a nice combination - the very sweet almond confection, faint rose and the deeply fruity/spicy. Louve isn't quite like that, but similar: very sweet at first, which I like. I would not wear it to work but some days just require clouds of sweetness wafting around. Today is one of those days. That said I could not afford to buy a whole bottle and will have to make do with my combo above when my decant of Louve is gone.

24 February, 2010 (Last Edited: 22 March, 2010)

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

The top note is a strong bitter almond oil and though it is enough reppelling to me, designer does not think it is enough and it is followed by headache giving aldehydes. Really really bad.

23 December, 2009

Heartwood's avatar

A gourmand scent that I mostly like (and that's saying a lot). Almonds, cherries, vanilla. Starts off spicy and liquor-y, indeed like cherry cough syrup. This is not a bad thing to me-- I like this cherry cough syrup. A bit powdery, but not too much. The boozy spiciness fades in the drydown, leaving cherries and powder that is more comforting than cloying. I'd wear this at Christmas time.

30th June, 2009

JGbeader's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Louve starts with almond and something bitter and medicinal on me - rather naughty - and I like it. I always loved the scent of almond essence as a child, and that's what attracted me to this scent. It settles down into a sweet muskiness which retains an edge of that cold, sharp, rather metallic ungent. Nice if you're in the mood for she-wolfery. A depilated she-wolf in a glam dress, more aluminium than silver-coloured. She has a hip flask of old blood mixed with vodka in her pocket.

31st March, 2009

moltening's avatar

Thailand Thailand

There is a reason this scent is called Louve, the female wolf.

On my skin, the almond-cherry-vanilla sweetness later reveals a dirty powdery musk. The musk is more amplified on me than when my girlfriend wears this. IMO, the composition as a whole is pretty tame though (and very feminine too), so perhaps "Late Teenage Wolf" would've been a more appropriate name.

04 February, 2009

DawnLady's avatar

I have to be in the right mood for this one. I actually like the initial strong bitter almond, which later settles down and gently mingles with the fruit, vanilla and amber notes, though the almond and sweetness still predominate. I find it lasts a long time on my skin - still definitely present after 9-10 hours. Sometimes I find it soothing and comforting - but other times I just find it too sweet and a bit sickly, so I won't be buying a full bottle. Definitely worth a try, though.

03 December, 2008

tessera's avatar

Smells just like Turkish Delight to me: Almonds, milk, vanilla, some slight floral. Delicious, but very sweet and fades way too fast for the price of the scent.

12 October, 2008

lovethescents's avatar

Hungary Hungary

I love this. I wear this when I don't know what else to choose. It is sweet but far from cloying. It light cherries, almond with a lovely, dry creamy amber dry down. It isn't girly. It is feminine but not aged.

10th October, 2008

I don't like the opening– only one word popped into my mind: “cheap!” …but “bubble gum” or “air freshener” would have worked just as well. So… this is the she-wolf? Frankly, I don’t get the train of thought that resulted in that name. Louve opens with a sweet, sweet bitter almond / cherry accord that doesn’t smell very rich or refined to me – just sweet. It has a definite marzipan thing going for it at first, and then it seems to change to cherry cough syrup for its heart notes, but those are just preliminaries – they have very little to do with the remainder of the fragrance. The main run of the fragrance is a sweet, powdery almond accord that moves in close to the skin, and stays there for a long, long time. It is a feminine scent that is quite pleasant – certainly refined, uberly powdery, I suppose, but I don’t find it very intriguing – it’s a very nice skin scent...

The person who wants a subtle, sweet, feminine skin scent (and this one really should be considered) might be turned off by the opening: They should probably not smell this for the first five minutes… Personally, I think there are many, many fragrances available (most of them quite a bit less expensive) that can equal or exceed the performance of Louve as a subtle skin scent, but this one is worthy of a testing.

29 September, 2008

Lian's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

A sweet and tame almond scent. Easy to wear, not a very mature perfume but it´s not sickly fruity sweet that younger women seem to wear a lot. A very nice comfort scent that you could wear anywhere, it probably sticks close to you so you wont bother anyone with it. I think this is great for rainy days when you want to stay in bed but you have to go to the office and you hope no one will notice you. Wear this and the comfy feeling of home follows you around.

09 September, 2008

E-beth's avatar

Opens with frothy marzipan and maraschino cherries. VERY light and sweet and girly. The cherry gives way to powder and airy musk, which weave in and out of the marzipan. Suddenly, ten minutes in, a sharp bitter almond upstages the other nights, and predominates for 5 minutes or so. When the bitter almond fades, the marzipan-marchino-powder-musk returns: subtler, gentler, well-blended and less sweet. This is my favorite phase of the perfume.

Not an everyday perfume for me, but perfect for a girly-girl mood: wear this one to get a pedicure with your pre-teen niece.

17 July, 2008

Morgaine's avatar

Total Amaretto upon spraying. After the initial sharp, sweet, candied (almost synthetic?) almond note has faded, it turns into a vaguely medicinal concoction on my skin - which has nothing to do with almonds and everything with a memory I can't quite put my finger on. Cough syrup, an alcoholic bitter... something similar to that. Unpleasant.
    As the scent progresses, I'm picking up the original almond opening again, but mellowed, powdery and devoid of all the sugar and the candied wetness. This is the part of the scent that I like best, I wish it would smell like that for the entire duration. Alas, it fades soon into an inoffensive musky odour.

It's a wild ride, I'll have to give it that. It has me intrigued, but I can't say it's an entirely pleasant experience.

30th May, 2008

Merbert's avatar

Comfort, comfort and more comfort! There's no intrigue and no mystery, but the comfort is all-encompassing. It is like a bowl of Middle Eastern confections: almond nougat, pistachio loukhoum, and cardamom kisses rolled in dried rose petals. On the drydown is a soft powdery white heliotrope, true to the fresh blossoms, is warmed with amber and vanilla.

When you wear this, don't expect romance. It's more for those flannel pajama nights.

27 May, 2008

Jemimagold's avatar

Louve is a sickly sweet sugar bomb that ends up smelling like musk.

18 April, 2008

tvlampboy's avatar

Vidal Sassoon shampoo it is, with enough almonds and cherries to make a marzipan factory worker swoon.

Lovely drydown, though, and yes, ubuandibeme got it right -- very in the Chergui vein.

Wouldn't pay the outrageous price per bottle, though -- I don't like almonds THAT much.

10th December, 2007

ubuandibeme's avatar

In the late 1970's Vidal Sassoon went retail with their hair care products. Their original salon shampoo was packaged in a brown cylindrical bottle and smelled of almond and maraschino cherries...this is how SL's Louve smells to me! It is sweet and powdery. I do detect a bit of rose in this mix. Dries down a bit like Chergui on my skin. Interesting.

08 December, 2007

chromatone's avatar

Although this is marked as a fragrance for females, I found that it works quite well for male also. Initially it is very powerful, but the dry down mellows out and stays true. First impressions of passer-by's point out notes of almond and a smooth variant of baby/talcum powder. Louve wears down on me dry, velvety, smooth, and unimposing - yet strong in its purpose. It enjoys a solid foundation in Vanilla with a touch of very mild Amber. Not too much sweet candy syrup, as found in some of the others in the Lutens line. Louve is welcome on my skin any day.

21st November, 2007

JaimeB's avatar

I know a lot of you guys don't like almond and cherries, but I do; it must be a heliotrope note, 'cause that's what I know that smells of almonds and cherries. Like some others here, I felt it too strong at first, but after it has a chance to settle, it turned very soft and soothing. On me, at least, it's not particularly sweet after the first twenty minutes or so. It takes on a kind of dryness, actually, that's very much closer to the skin than the first blast. The notes listed for it on Osmoz.com are:
    Top note : White Almond