Neutral Reviews of Midnight Poison by Christian Dior

Find out more about Midnight Poison by Christian Dior in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

colormechris's avatar
    colormechris

I tried this one after reading some of the rave reviews. I got the idea this is kind of a Poison for Men without actually being branded as such. I liked it, but there was a note to it that started to annoy me after an hour or so. It wouldn't go away. I couldn't quite put my finger on it but Vick's Vapo-Rub kept coming to mind. I just read awesomeness's review and she put it into words for me. "Medicinal and camphorous". That's exactly it! And that's what it smells like on my arm, still, three hours later. It doesn't work for me, so I'll have to pass on Midnight Poison. But that's not to say it's not interesting and good in its' own camphorous and medicinal way. Just, not for me.

07 December, 2011

Shifty Bat's avatar
    Shifty Bat

Read the pyramid of notes and add vanilla to the base and you'll have an idea of what this smells like. It's one of the most literal fragrances I've encountered. No strange accords or illusions of things not there. You get what you read. This is good because the ingredients are true and the end product is very nice indeed, but it's also bad because it's a bit predictable, here meaning boring. If you're in the market for a lightly sweet patchouli rose fragrance then this is it and then some, be you man or woman (it smells quite good on me). I just grow tired of it quickly. Still very good stuff, though.

02 February, 2011

xXjEnNyXx's avatar
    xXjEnNyXx

I don't hate it, but don't completely like it either. At first it is very heavy and nauseating scent that made me want to scrub it off immediately. Unfortunately I was at the mall and couldn't. Eventually, the very strong smell of synthetic leather wore away and left a smell that kinda reminded me of Brittney Speares Midnight Fantasy (funny how both names have midnight in them). The color, the name, and even the juices bear an uncanny resemblance to each other - the plum-ey sweetness with florals and clean patchouli. Go smell them and you will know what I mean! I do not like to buy celebrity fragrances because of many different reasons. Maybe that's why I don't like this one, or maybe it is the horrific smell in the opening notes. The scent may be wearable for some but I don't think it is for me. I'm still not sure about this one.

22 November, 2008

Tovah's avatar
    Tovah

Midnight Poison, on me, bears a striking resemblance to DKNY Delicious Night, if I layered Delicious Night with Mentholatum. I like Delicious Night on its own better. This Poison has none of the striking originality and creative genius of the original Poison, or the unusual cedar seductive sweetness of Hypnotic Poison. The bottle is beautiful, but the scent disappoints me. No intrigue or attraction for me from this Poison, even after several tests, (but at least it's not as awful on me as Pure Poison, which makes me appreciate my memories of Primo).

18 July, 2008

margi's avatar
    margi
    England England

I hesitated to review this for a long time as I could not make up my mind if I liked it or loved it. Decision made, I like it. Patchouli is a must for me to be a firm favourite, and although this has lots of patchouli, the other notes make it quite fruity and fun rather than the gothic effect I usually yearn for. Ideal for work for me, not too strong or too offensive to non patchouli lovers as some.

12 July, 2008

Wordbird's avatar
    Wordbird
    Wales Wales

On me this smells of liniment.
    I'm giving it a 'neutral' because I rather like the smell of liniment. But Ralgex is cheaper.

02 June, 2008

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

My expectations were along the lines of Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan, sadly I was disappointed. I don't think Midnight Poison is a 'bad' fragrance. It is a simple scent. Read the listed notes. Bergamot, orange, rose, patchouli, amber. Imagine them in your olfactory memory. That's it, plain and simple. No embellishments or subtle nuances here...all in all it is very mainstream. I'm lukewarm on this one.

07 November, 2007

iMaverick's avatar
    iMaverick

Oh lordy! It's the strangest opening I've ever smelled. Leathery and rubbery, which then fully blossoms to a very sweet candyish rose with a patchouli undertone and oozing with amber. Finally when the rose relaxes, you catch a scent similar to Angel. Not overly complex, sultry yet girly, I suppose it's an alternative for someone looking for an Angel type fragrance.

21st October, 2007

BlackAmberMoon's avatar
    BlackAmberMoon

It's a big rose and patchouli bomb - in a good way. I love the roar of patch at the outset, but the drydown becomes primarily all about the rose. I would have liked it even more if the rose weren't *quite* so prominent...maybe balanced by a few spices...but this is my type of fragrance - bold and sexy. Finally, a version that lives up to the name Poison. Gorgeous blue bottle, too.

20th October, 2007 (Last Edited: 23 May, 2008)