Positive Reviews of Midnight Poison by Christian Dior

Find out more about Midnight Poison by Christian Dior in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Captain's avatar

I’m pretty sure this was the first rosy perfume I really appreciated.

Testing Miss Dior Le Perfum today and I suddenly got a Midnight Poison vibe. :o I could have sworn there was incense in this but looking at the notes just now, they are almost identical to Miss Dior Le Perfum. I get the same sweet, orangey vanilla and rose from both scents. I love both, I just reviewed Le Parfum, it is sophisticated, bright and so lovely. The same goes for MP, "Definitely a burst of bright and sweet mandarin and then the rose. Clean spicy orange, rosy rich vanilla amber and tonnes of powder.”

If you are mourning the death of Midnight Poison, please try Miss Dior Le Parfum!

08 February, 2014 (Last Edited: 22 February, 2014)

mariana's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Amazing oriental!

To me it is the most intrigant of all the Poison line. Patchouli at its best. From the opening notes to the drydown, everything here is to die for, absolutely unique, dark, seductive, mysterious...

26 October, 2013 (Last Edited: 05 January, 2014)

Harmony's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

LOVE FROM DIOR!

I Love this perfume! Sexy is what I adore in fragrances, and here pachouli and rose marriage just makes it perfect. I personally wear it at night only, and it makes me want myself))). Seriously, you will have sweet dreams, but before you go to sleep you will feel luxury and admiration of others. When I am having a night with internet and glass of wine, I put on blue orchid 100% botanical oil from Clarins on my face- and OH, you get perfect combination of Spa experience and luxury of Dior. Bon Voyage!

15 October, 2013

KarmaLee's avatar

I have a small midnight blue bottle of Midnight Poison, that I had never opened. Then, Poison caught me a few weeks ago, for the first time. I fell in love and have been having a Poison affair since.

Last week, I placed the Midnight Poison beside my bed and used it as a sleeping potion of sorts. And opening the bottle made me gasp. I love this scent. I still only use it at night, but almost every night now, I fall into dreams with the lush scent of warm roses and patchouli rising from my wrists and pillow.

This seems a bit thin at first, but then deepens. It is more complex than it first seems. It may be mostly roses and herb, but it does it with some other notes layered in, that I cannot recognize. The whole composition is more than the sum of its parts. It blends with an alchemical reaction that ZINGS on me. Then, it calms down and comforts me with one of the most beautiful scents I have ever experienced.

I need a full, big bottle now.

10th March, 2012

Anup's avatar

Poison pour lui?

I believe that this certain creation could have been released alongside the original Poison from 1985 in an alternate timeline. To me the scent comes of as a "structurally sweetened" Antaeus by Channel.

Comparisons aside, strictly speaking of Poisons, this fragrance stands out to me. It is without a doubt the simplest Poison, yet carries the most complexity in according the notes than any of the others in my opinion. For example, oranges and bergamot in the top, so what? Those are very commonly used notes in many fragrances. The middle only consisting of roses, pale, soft and slightly sweet. And concluding of a oh so common base of vanilla amber musk and patchouli. Surprisingly, as with a few other scents of post millennia miracles, Midnight Poison pulls all of the notes together in to one solitary aroma.

The start is very aromatic, sweet and slightly moist; dewy or even humidified. Heading further into the scent that humidity stands firm and is greeted coldly with drab, dead and dry floral musk which, despite how awful that sounds, fills me with olfactive joy indicative of fall. Viewing the final grasps at life, it's last takes of air, Midnight Poison shrieks, yet nothing comes from the creatures mouth, dusty woods with a dissipating powdery/sweetness are all thats left upon conclusion.

A misunderstood man often taken as a malnourished woman.
    Midnight Poison.

23 November, 2011

Darvant's avatar

In the same vein of the more articolated and regal Shalimar  (which is smokier, more leather-animalic, almost gummy, more spicy-floral and woodsy) this  rich and luxurious potion is basically an ambery fragrance strong on patchouli in my opinion . The note of amber is central and starring likewhise the rose that is elegant and  absolutely featuring and performing in a sort of modern interpretation far from its usual indolent and retro temperament. The smell in general is resinous and sinister. A touch of angular fruitness, a type of fruity-floral decadent whiff, is perceivable at first spray when the hesperides, notable the presence of bergamot, are still like blades and the rose is botanic, earthy and not yet drowned and softened in a sink of amber. The  smell few time later is a sort of creamy orange with the head of rose and with the backbone of an abundant patchouli that loses its earthiness (or better its herbal  rough sharpness) but manteins its dark, shadowy, woody and bold typical flavour. The last element restrains a bit the creamy sweetness imprinting a more shadowy, tamed and neutral rooty mildness. The note of sandalwood makes its part in the blend in my opinion (in light amount) and supports the note of vanilla in order to push up a sort of mild kind of woody whiteness. The note of vanilla colours the amber advancing and receding, in barely perceivable whiffs, as a tide. The milky dry down is averagely smooth (or better averagely dry) rather than particulary powdery. May be some civet of leather is buried somewhere in the blend as well as a touch of incense. The scent is  lush and sophisticated on rose and patchouli in their creaminess and barely detectable final muskiness. Finally each herbal, botanic or earthy temperament is definitely tamed. Midnight Poison smells far better and classy than the almondy-sugary Hypnotic Poison, in my opinion unclassy and lacking in mystery on the contrary of this one. As well as the evolution is completed, i feel on my skin a slightly notable aromatic-cool spark that cuts the resinous warmth without breaking the substance and enhances the glamour and the modernity of the juice. The longevity is remarcable on my skin.

17 October, 2011 (Last Edited: 14 December, 2011)

MidnightPoisonRocks's avatar

Midnight Poison is a dark, seductive, voluptuous and a very sexy concotion. Francois Demanchy has added patchouli, amber and vanilla to this fragrance as its base notes, and belive me, I never really knew what patchouli means before I smelt this. Patchouli caught my attention in other fragrances as a cheap, herbal, pleasant but a bit boring to make anything like a scent out of it. Midnight Poison really made the patchouli for me. I must say I wear while I'm a man, and it really suits my personality, while I also like to wear the midnight blue Eau de Parfum.

I must say I really enjoyed it, its my favourite fragrance and i'll always have a bottle of this dark concotion on my dresser!

04 September, 2011

blood-orange's avatar

Midnight Poison is quite a fascinatingly complex scent.

The scent itself is rather heavy and strong. There is an intriguing blend of amber, spices, patchouli, citrus and classic rose throughout.

At first sniff you realise that this is something different, something mysterious. You'll find yourself overwhelmed by dark, woodsy undertones, exotic spices and a syrupy-like sweetness.

There's a certain sense of masculinity in this fragrance, however with that being said, I do still think this scent wears well on women. Midnight Poison commands attention. It is bold, dark, sensual, smooth, dramatic and intriguing.

I particularly love the smokey, almost 'incensey' quality this fragrance creates when worn on the skin. The dark, midnight blue coloured bottle certainly portrays what is yet to come, a potent potion for the brave and daring woman.

Midnight Poison is a long-lasting and incredibly tempting fragrance that is difficult to resist.

04 June, 2011

Silmaril's avatar

Serbia Serbia

My favorite Poison and one of my favorites in general. Quite simple (rose + patchouli), but beautiful. Very versatile and wearable in all occasions, plus office friendly;) Good silage, solid longevity. I have both Edp and pure parfum and Edp is slightly rounder, softer, richer, while prafum is sharper, less sweet, almost unisex.

21st April, 2011

eris's avatar

To me, it smells like sex and smoke and death. Intrinsically heavy, sinister, and very serious, with a remarkably refined edge of sex appeal. It smells exactly like what I imagine power would smell like. I've smelled it on different people before, and to my mind, it takes a certain kind of person to pull it off. Not sure if I, personally, can, but if you think you can wear it with aplomb, take it from me--it's irresistible.

05 February, 2011

lady love's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Is So Strong at the begginng, i don't like that, but, after a while this fragrance show you why deserves to be part of the Poison Family. I think black roses would smell like Midnight Poison.

I feel this scent a bit masculine but i like it a lot.

28 January, 2011

thatsmr2usir's avatar

EDP! Midnight Poison is a dark, seductive, sensual, creepy, yet well constructed fragrance. It has 1 of thee best openings of a frag I have smelled in a long time. I am not a fan of Roses, yet in MD it is so well blended that I do not mind it.

The patchouli is dominant towards the end with the rose & citrus still lingering along to create a sexy masterpiece! It last all day or night & it has good projection. What more can you ask for?

Many women find this to be to masculine for them & I will agree that it is more masculine than feminine. Dior missed the mark on this 1 as it should have been named Midnight Poison Pour Homme! Men go check this out & if you like it buy it for your girlfriend & or wife & if she does not like it, you can keep it for yourself! Everybody wins with Midnight Poison! Gorgeous deep blue bottle as well! Dior deserves a standing round of applause for there work here!

16 January, 2011

Grottola's avatar

Wow, what to say about Midnight Poison....

For me, it goes on sweet with prominent patchouli and rose, making it dark like "evil candy". However, I don't find it sickeningly sweet, and yes, a guy can wear it. As it dries down the sweetness becomes richer along with the patchouli and rose and it just lasts for hours. Midnight Poison is a dark and beautiful fragrance that both men and women can wear with ease. It is more masculine than most gourmands, anyway.

29 December, 2010

scent-man's avatar

Bought it as a gift for my wife she tried it and did not like it saying "is to strong, dark and masculine". We went trough the web to get more info and decide if we can sale it. We found out sites saying this could easily be wear by men. Then everything changed. What if I start to wear it?. Why not I love the smell? I find it masculine too once the the top note the dark rose (which is not that strong and feminine) subside. So this is how my love story with this frag started,since then this has become my signature fragrance top of my list. I began using it for my wife daily and when going out and she loves how this one smell on me. She says is the perfect match for me.

Then I started using it for my daily work (macho land capital) ladies coworkers love it but I still I keep it a secret when asked. No one knows what I wear I don't tell. I expected some negative feedback or feminine jokes- commentaries from male fellows I have not receive one yet. I have discover that people think this is another male EDT or another unisex frag of the many around.

Now I use it daily to everywhere I go. This is yummy stuff for a male it makes me feel sweet,warm, clean, relax and cozy. Sweet in a good well balanced way. High quality ingredients in this juice, the rose so dark and good not overpowering, delicious patchouli and amber, so simple so great. One or two sprays (the top) of this magic Poison and you are set to go for the hole day.

Sorry for Dior House I think they missed the target big time with this frag. This could have been the perfect POISON POUR HOMME a best seller ground breaking. trend setter in male perfume history in the 2000'S. Same effect original Poison For Her achieved when it came out 1980's. The only things feminine on this one is the bottle and the name. Change the bottle, change the name relaunch it as a male frag or at least as a perfect unisex frag and they will be selling like hot cakes out of the shelves, a strike of gold.

Guys men out there dare to be different, dare to use this one you wont be disappointed. Don't be afraid but don't over spray this one is strong in a good way. Thank you Basenotes for the hints in finding my signature fragrance.

13 March, 2010

SirSlarty's avatar

A rose-based oriental fragrance. Very sharp rose opening but once that settles it's all good stuff from there. Drydown is a dark and resinous patchouli and amber and is very sweet as a result. Projects very well. Voluptuous.

24 January, 2010

Noraed's avatar

Midnight poison has a citrusy and sharp scent with a stunning mix of rose and patchouli.
    I think of this smell as the smell of a daring, dangerous, and mysterious woman. It is more suitable in the evening.

It has a very deep, masculine and long-lasting scent. I think it would smell great on men.
    Patchouli lovers need to give it a try. My husband loves patchouli and this perfume is one of his favourite perfumes.

It is an Oriental - Woody type of perfume. It suits ladies more than girls.
    If you like it you should try Elle by YSL, because they smell very similar to each other (like I said in my Elle review).

12 November, 2009

Zut's avatar

I agree with those who think Midnight Poison is suitable for a man. I believe a man should wear a so-called feminine perfume if he smells good in it. And of course, a woman should wear a man's cologne if she can handle it! I tried Midnight Poison for fun because I liked the fragrance on the blotter. On me, it smelled rather woody and masculine but not very "chic". In fact, it reminded me of spruce beer!!! Don't get me wrong, it is not a bad fragrance. It is just not "great" on me. I still think it is a quality perfume and I am sure some women (and men) smell wonderful in it.

19 September, 2009

Gblue's avatar

I'm in love with Midnight Poison. I think this is very much suitable for a man. I've been asked by men and women what the aftershave I'm wearing is.
    To me the top note is an explosion of Patchouli, and I can't get enough of it. Then the rose appears, and I'm in heaven. I've tried both the "elixir" (where patchouli+caramel=burnt, but not at all in a bad way) and the EdP, and prefer the EdP. Oh, and the bottle is absolutely stunning.
    The extrait is smoky dirty patch.

08 November, 2008 (Last Edited: 07 July, 2009)

Truffles's avatar

Gee I really am a sucker for those blue glass bottles. This bottle is really beautiful, dark, holdable and lovely. The perfume itself has topnotes which don't immediately beguile me - a bit too Diorsy, a bit all over the place, but it fades down to a beautiful and unusual incense smell which makes it worthwhile for me.

20th October, 2008

mediterranean's avatar

Spain Spain

I love the advert, the idea of a dark cindorella in a dark blue dress with black nails, diva red lips looking for fun,actually it pictures the perfume quite well.Playful, youthful,naughty,very chic.

30th September, 2008

MysticGoose's avatar

I was looking for a scent with patchouli, which I love, that my husband would tolerate and not say "that stink is back". This gives me the warmth and sensualness of the patchouli but doesn't elicit the comments. It is readily available and not expensive.

I like it more than I realized. It is my favorite of the "poisons" and I was happy with it. A week ago I looked at my bottle and realized I had used almost all of it up. It is an easy fragrance to reach for and suits for all sorts of events. I even wore it to church when I was going to serve at the altar. Patchouli in church- that says something about its versatility.

25 August, 2008

pomeraniansiamese's avatar

Germany Germany

This is a very good fragrance, more youthful than the original Poison, less exotic than Hypnotic Poison, no green freshness like Tendre. I thought it similar to Pure Poison, both very simple and nice. I noticed an amber note muddled with rose first and foremost, nothing quite artistic but it is a chic scent and quite pleasant at that.

25 April, 2008

perfume-aholic's avatar

I heartily disagree with this being labelled as a 'simple scent'..far from it. Patchouli haters beware! There is an initial blast of patchouli as strong as the artic winds. I myself am not a patchouli fan, but, I do own this because while the intial blast is overwhelming, and yes, overbearing, it fades quickly to be replaced by an exquisite deep, dark, sultry and passionate rose.

08 January, 2008

markolomeu's avatar

The burst of fresh patchouli in the top, backed by a slightly tart bite of mandarin and bergamot is meant to tantalize, not incite raw heat. The middle of dark roses is warm and soft, and then the dry down of tonka and amber, still possessing a swirl of patchouli, is dark and mysterious, yet seems dry, light and arousing, rounding off a very feminine scent that gets a man thinking.

I'm no fragrance expert, but after fumbling around the perfume departments in several stores, and keeping in mind that blue is one of my girlfriend's favorite colors, I gave Midnight Poison a sniff... I now have a bottle wrapped under the tree for her this Christmas.

For those looking for the heavier stuff (and I smelled literally hundreds of scents before choosing MP) the original Poison is more potent, as many have said. Plus, there are several STRONG and bland rose based fragrances avaiable, like Stella McCartney, as well. For those looking for the drippy, faux-glamorous, candy coated floral scents of Miss Spears and Miss Hilton or Mrs. Beckham and the like, steer clear, as this is drier and a little more mature and unique then the "candy squirts" on the celeb scent counter. This is meant for young WOMEN, and it does a remarkable smooth job of catering to the market with its style and smell.

12 December, 2007

davinalondon's avatar

pleasantly surprised by this. Having found Poison far too strong and not me, i was tempted by this and lo and behold found this to be a perfume often complimented on by friends. Does last and prety good thumbs up

03 November, 2007

cedriceccentric's avatar

Belgium Belgium

At first spray, maybe for 3 seconds, it smelled of the original Poison (fruit and spice). But poof! ... that disappears completely. Strangely I detected the heart first, strong notes of rose and patchouli. Not the dry earthy type like in Voleurs de Roses or even SJP' Lovely; but softer certainly because of the amber/vanilla mix. I also smelled right after that some sort of peach or prune wich further rounds the edges of the patchouli. It's only after about 10 minutes that I experienced the sparkling topnotes of bergamot and orange. Of course bergamot is not your typical citrus, bergamot isn't acid or bitter; it's much softer, which I'm sure even makes the composition even rounder. Still for all this round feminity I smell spice and it's not coming from the patchouli, I wonder what it is...?

Though Midnight Poison could be a chypre with its bergamot-rose-patchouli accord, I would say it's rather a fresh floriental or a fruity nouveau chypre. It lasts and lasts.

Now that Dior finished with it's overdose of promotion, it's time to discover Midnight Poison. It's not that a big success and you don't smell it everywhere.

If you like this one I strongly recommend to look for Elle by Yves Saint Laurent as they have a lot in common. Elle is also sexy but somewhat sleeker. As I said in my Elle review: If Elle is a YSL smoking suit, than Midnight Poison is a black lace push-up bra.

12 July, 2007 (Last Edited: 26 August, 2009)