Reviews of Silver Bond / Andy Warhol Silver Factory by Bond No. 9

Find out more about Silver Bond / Andy Warhol Silver Factory by Bond No. 9 in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woody Oriental

This is an austere, dry, smoky incense in the manner of Comme des Garcons’ Avignon. As it offers no improvement over Duchaufour’s classic and costs about twice as much, I don’t see much point to it.

09 June, 2014

RHM's avatar

Incense centric fragrances have always attracted me.
    Fragrances by the uber talented Aurelian Guichard are always worth my time to investigate.
    Silver Factory is a gem. It strikes the perfect harmonic tone on my skin.
    I smell nothing "generic" in this.
    The jasmine & nod to Andy Warhol's beloved violet blend with the amber & wood notes to create a lovely silage.
    The incense settles into my very pores & provides 6 to 8 hours of scented bliss.
    I adore Silver Factory.

24 February, 2014

Aquil's avatar

MY SIGNATURE SCENT

OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS I HAVE HAD THE PLEASURE TO PUT MY NOSE TO SOME OF THE MOST AMAZING FRAGS IN THE WORLD - THANKS TO ALOT OF MY FELLOW BN'ERS. SILVER FACTORY DOES IT FOR ME. IT FITS MY LIFE STYLE. INCENSE BEING MY FAVORITE NOTE, THIS IS VERY UNIQUE WITH THE SWEETNESS, BUT NOT TOO SWEET. I FIND IT VERY WELL BALANCED WITH GREAT SILLAGE AND LONGEVITY. WELL BLENDED WITH QUALITY AND CLASS...

Pros: INCENSE, QUALITY, UNIQUE, SILLAGE, LONGEVITY, VERSATILE
    Cons: ABSOLUTELY NONE FOR ME"

27 September, 2013

Francolino's avatar

walking on the wild side

a get a whiff of amber from this scent, it's a like it or leave it kind of affair. I simply love it, at work gives you a kinky vibe!

Pros: fascinating, persistent
    Cons: pricey"

12 July, 2013

iivanita's avatar

Croatia Croatia

There are many bad scents from this house that i don't even want to explore it further, but got a sample of this one.

The so to say stamp of the house is here as well, that syrupy sweetness, but here it nicely blends with rich incense note creating pleasurable experience, and i quite like it, its little smokey but balmy , creamy rich opulent incense note is modernized and turned into unisex perfume,
    It reminded me instantly of Sahara Noire by TomFord, which is newer creation, so this might be original at a time and i like it much better in this version, also smells rather natural, no synthetic sharp notes..sweet ambery drydown reminds me of base of some amouage attars...

11th May, 2013

Carla02's avatar

Such a unique fragrance. A very modern incense scent, you can definitely smell out the silver metallic note. Develops wonderfully on my skin and has good sillage as well. People always comment on my interesting perfume when I wear this. Despite the hefty price tag, I would definitely recommend this scent to anyone who is looking for something special.

16 March, 2013

phi's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

This is my first time smelling an incense based fragrance so I can't comment on the comparisons made to similar perfumes. Having said that this is a gorgeous dry, slightly ambery scent. I'd highly recommend this even though I don't consider it very versatile

15 February, 2013

chapter10's avatar

Wales Wales

I think the opening is very similar to Serge Lutens Santal Blanc...Then it moves into a generic incense...It almost has a slight reference to Bandit...It's nice enough but overpriced for what it is.

12 June, 2012

surge's avatar

A masterpiece.
    I blind bought this and when I first smelled it, it threw me off completely.
    I don't know how Bond managed to do this...honestly, it's so great.
    The theme here is sweet incense.
    I think I get like iris, grapefruit, and jasmine \ violet on the top and then this really killer "wood resin" and incense smell in the base. It takes incense frags to a whole new level because the top florals make it so much more versatile...you can wear it in any weather and it's not overpowering.
    One of the few bonds that's worth the retail price they charge, imho.

02 June, 2012

kbe's avatar

Andy Warhol Silver Factory is the scent version of the Bach Toccata and Fugue in Dm beautifully played on the massive pipe organ retrofitted to a classic European gothic cathedral.

Sweetly pungent sillaging incense and garlands of flowers lift the sense of smell toward olfactory ecstasy, one that culminates in an unctuously resinous-sweet drydown.

As with the Dm organ work of Bach, I find AWSF to be one of Bond's most intriguing efforts.

29 December, 2011

drseid's avatar

I like Silver Factory but don't love it. I find it has a relatively pleasant incense accord, mixed with a synthetic Oud-like note that comes off as a bit rubbery. I kind of liken Silver Factory as a mix of Incense Oud and Pure Oud from By Kilian, except it is not as good as either of those individually or mixed, for that matter. Projection, longevity and sillage are all well-above average here. Bottom line is Silver factory at a rating of 3 stars out of 5 is a relatively good effort from Bond, but it is debatable whether it is worth it's lofty price tag when many other scents in the category are better, IMO.

26 December, 2011 (Last Edited: 26 December, 2012)

alfarom's avatar

While Silver Factory is one of the very few compositions from the Bond No 9 range that I enjoy, I still believe that it's not particularly brilliant. A modern and well crafted waxy iris/frankincense composition that brings to mind of a couple of fragrances by Comme Des Garcons and Lutens. Opens austere with citruses and incense galore while iris adds the waxy effect. Dries down sweetish and ambery/woody.

Said that, If you're ready for the challenging price tag, go ahead but be aware that Carthusia 1681 does basically the same thing for much less than half the price.

12 October, 2011

jtd's avatar

Does anybody else see Bond, as a marketing product, as Creed with a different fetish? Both rely on a symbolism of affluence and privilege. Creed's ancestor worship, prestige and mythology-as-history give the air of a quality that only pedigree can grant. Bond relies on neighborhood chic. The brand deals the currency of privilege and exclusivity of NYC real estate in the same manner that Creed manages lineage. (Please just give me one crack in the image of either. Offal Millesime from some disavowed pervy great uncle or Bond's Gowanus Canal Superfund.)

I'm cynical about schtick, and Bond's is ridiculous. But Andy Warhol Silver Factory is a sensational take on the incense/floral. The floral note centers on a beautifully high-pitched iris, and the incense is resinous, not at all smoky, and wonderfully sharp. This doesn't smell like church and it doesn't simply smell like olibanum oil. The shiny metallic note (silver, get it?) is the common link between the iris and the incense.

I find AWSF quite unlike the other incense perfumes of the mid-2000s, an era that gave us some gorgeous incenses. l'Artisan's Timbuktu is a deconstruction/rebuild of incense with woods and fruit. CDG's Avignon and Heeley's Cardinal riffed on the smoky church. Jubilation XXV emphasized frankincense's voluptuousness. I find AWSF closest in approach, though not outcome to CDG 2 Man. Each takes a particular aspect of incense, CDG's smoke and flame, AWSF's metallic chill, and builds a portrait. AWSF also smartly refers to a direct predecessor, taking Bond's Chinatown's cool resinous incense base as a leaping-off point. Which leads me to my ubiquitous fandom of Aurélien Guichard, author of both Chinatown & AWSF. This guy makes some gorgeous perfumes.

But back to Bond as a line. I spent more on Chinatown than I have on any other single perfume. These two perfumes warrant high price points, but the other 10-12 Bond's I've sniffed don't. Not by a long shot.

09 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 10th September, 2011)

silentrich's avatar

A heavy synthetic incense with the same tart grape candy drydown in Chez Bond. Everything else about this fragrance is just plain odd to the nose. There really isn't much more to say. Giving it a D instead of and F for having a cool bottle.

06 July, 2011

mickers's avatar

Gorgeous incense fragrance!!! The main players in this are Iris and Incense. The iris in this is sweet and waxy. It creates a balmy effect. Right along side is the incense. There is also a touch of violet and a touch a jasmine to compliment. After a couple of hours the cedar comes out to join the fun. This fragrance after the 5 hour mark hits the base and all I'm left with is amber. I love amber but I wish I would have gotten more longevity out of the heart. I get about 10-12 hours out of this one and projection in great. Almost a perfect fragrance for me.

15 April, 2011 (Last Edited: 10th May, 2011)

Iguanababe221's avatar

Euphoria in a bottle...it doesn't get any better or more original than this.

13 March, 2011

LiveJazz's avatar

To me, this is a deeply strange scent. I have seen little mention of this, but it smells distinctly oily to me...the sweetish, waxy smell of metal lubricant on hot machinery.

Oh yes, there are sweet green notes in there. Violet, probably, along with strong woody resins and incense. But the part that jumps out at me is the hot metal. It reminds me of a freshly oiled chainsaw, which moments ago was hacking through brush and greenery, and is now cooling in a pile of its own sawdust, maybe next to a cup of sun-heated Diet Coke.

This is one of those scents that I'm attracted to mostly out of fascination. I don't think I'd wear it.

25 January, 2011

rickbr's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Is interesting how time can change the perception of the notes in a specific scent. It`s like you perceive some details as dominant and others as part of the background of the composition, and them, after some time, you have the opposite vision. The scent didn`t changed, but the way you see it at your skin has changed.
    This happened to me with Silver Factory. I remembered it when i tried two years ago as an metallic iris and violet fragrance, where you had a smoky-soft incense at the background. Then, today, it seems that the incense is the main theme, and now i only perceive the metallic iris and violet as secondary characters. Silver Factory has that mineral warm incense that Aurelien Guichard had used again in Kenzo UFO. Both seem like studies on warm, soft, spicied incense. Here the incense is more resinous, woody, complex, and has something metallic, silverish, that matches the theme perfectly. For me, it seems to go more on a male direction, but it suits well a woman that loves incense too.

13 December, 2010

MrFragranceReview's avatar

This is quite an odd scent overall and only people with an open mind should sample it. Why? It's top notes aren't very appealing overall unlike most fragrances. It's incense, syrupy wood, violets, metallic iris and plenty of cedar. The more it dries down it becames VERY nice and where it shines. It smells like a unique floral bouquet with sweet incense and syrupy wood in the background. I say syrup because the wood doesn't feel dry, yet sweet, thick and heavier. It's not that heavy of a fragrance though and is extremely smooth and not sharp at all.

It lasts all day and projection is above average to average. It's a scent that really shines once you wear it, not sampling on your skin.
    Very unique and definitely a must try.

04 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 24 February, 2011)

jcastano's avatar

I don't understand what is so appealing about this scent. It's REPULSIVE, and I don't say that too often. It smells boozy and ridiculously metallic. It reminds me of silver cleaner mixed with whiskey or something along those line. Yuck!!! With a hefty price tag, I can't understand how anyone would drop so much money on something like this but then again it is pretty unique so I guess if that's what you're looking for, go ahead and make your wallet scream! My Final Rating: F

16 October, 2010

Quarry's avatar

Weird. While wet, I smell grape juice. Then I smell a real foundry — metal shavings, the dirty oil that builds up on metal-grinding machinery for a minute or two. After that, SF turns into a pleasant, mild incense with its own personality.

06 August, 2010

Endless79's avatar

For one, this is the first fragrance that has caused me to break out in a rash, so I'm clearly allergic to something in it. That aside, it's an ok incense; it reminds me of some of the Serge Lutens fragrances with their heavy oriental feeling. AWSF has the kind of heavy purple feeling (thanks to that violet?) that many of the SL's have, but since I'm an incense freak, there are better scents out there. If I'm going to buy an incense, I'll stick to the Armani, CdG, or one that blew them all away, Sonoma Scent Studio's Incense Pure.

05 July, 2010

litworth's avatar

Unique to say the least. Smells expensive. Top smells like whiskey and metal, middle introduces violet leaves and cedar, base ends with a sweet cedar. Lasts 10 hours on me.

17 June, 2010

morrison74's avatar

Scotland Scotland

The first ten minutes is a little weird. However, once the opening notes wear off, it turns into a nice incense based scent. A very unique scent with great silage and longevity.

08 March, 2010 (Last Edited: 26 March, 2011)

CoL's avatar

This just arrived today and I must say I wasn't sure at first spray, but when it settles its amazing! Not normally a fan of smoky scents but this does fade after a few mins. To my nose this smells like a smoky Costume National Scent! HURRAH! My favourite! I can also understand why sjohnjay feels this is a "modern rework" of Acier Aluminium (my other favourite!). Rather unusual smoky, floral fragrance with a touch of tea to my nose. Almost a slight pot pourriness to it. Unusual and very wearable. Hurrah again!

16 February, 2010

matterjam's avatar

As I'm sure someone has mentioned, this could easily slot right into the CdG incense series. It's certainly well-made and, with the slight metallic tang, conceptually coherent... For some reason it just doesn't hang around on my skin with any kind of tenacity so, while it starts out nicely, after about an hour the bottom falls and I'm left underwhelmed.

14 February, 2010

sjohnjay's avatar

First, I am typically willing to defend BOND every time someone berates them b/c they "smell like CREED". However, I do NOT disagree that 4/5 of their entire repertoire smells UNCANNILY similar to a CREED scent. I defend b/c I just don't see it as a fault.
    With that said (and with ALL the CREED comparisons), I am really amazed that nobody here has compared this to its OBVIOUS CREED counterpart: ACIER ALUMINUM.
    Perhaps this is ACIER '40 years later'; a more modernized (but inferior) version. While ACIER is lush, rounded, and fruity, SILVER FACTORY is dense, staccato, and smoky. SILVER FACTORY lacks the ambergris of ACIER.
    Comparing the 2 side by side reveals vast differences. Perfectly parallel, nonetheless.
    Come on- Even the names are perfectly aligned: ACIER ALUMINUM vs. SILVER FACTORY?

24 January, 2010

arcady59's avatar

After smelling this, I can say with confidence hat Bond is certainly the most inventive of the upper echelon perfume houses.
    Silver Factory smells so strange right out of the bottle, but only for a moment. Soon it is smoky and incensy and exotic and so many baffling and amazing things; it is absolutely beautiful. The scent stays true through the drydown, although I find it gets a little more powdery; but never does the scent become common or predicable. It lasts all day on me (8 hours+).

I want to say that this scent may not be for everyone, but it is so beautiful I hate to criticize it. I do think it is more masculine than not. I feel that Silver Factory is so powerful and so unique that it may scare people from wearing it; it requires confidence in the wearer. There is simply nothing (or at least nothing I have encountered) like it . To sum things up I can say that of all the colognes and perfumes I have owned, this is the most beautiful. In fact I will say (in all seriousness and honesty) that Silver Factory is the most beautiful thing I have ever smelled. Needless to say, I love (and am quite possibly in love) with this scent.

17 December, 2009 (Last Edited: 04 January, 2010)

AnnArborBodhi's avatar

top notes: metalic, menthol, medicinal, cinnamon?
    mid: incense
    base: amber, incense

I was very impressed with this fragrance. It is truly a work of art. It is metallic, yet has a warm depth to it. Would be a great late fall and winter fragrance. If I wasn't a student (and therefore had money), I would probably buy a bottle of this.

29 October, 2009

bbBD's avatar

AW Silver Factory is by far the most unique Bond No.9 fragrance. Bond No. 9 is a good house but suffers - like Montale - from being overly ambitious and releasing too many similar fragrances too soon after inception. The result is countless citrus and floral fragrances with only slight variation between them. I first sampled AWSF when it was first released and did not like it at all - too strong, too smoky. However that was at a time when I wasn't into strong, bold fragrances and I had yet to understand or appreciate the use of incense in perfumery. Quite simply, this wasn't a fragrance for a relative newbie - perhaps not even for an amateur collector. I put my samples away, expecting to come back to them someday.

Fast forward to now. I've been exploring lots of incense fragrances and I have an appreciation for bold scents. Breaking out and sampling Silver Factory was like sampling an entirely new fragrance for the first time. AWSF begins with a terric woody incense accord that is very strong and so resinous it borders on being sour. Over the next hour the fragrance smooths out, with a amber appearing to cut the resin and sharpness of the incense. The amber becomes more and more prominent, and borders on being a little bit too sweet for my tastes. The incense never fully disappears but it becomes far less noticeable as the base emerges. Discrete florals fill out the base and a touch of violet becomes distinct, giving more sweetness to the composition. From here the woody/amber/floral base persists for many hours.

Sillage is loud, longevity superb and the structure is solid. The only problem with Silver Factory is that it shows how well Bond can do fragrances, making some of their less impressive offerings all the more regrettable.

This is a Bond I hope to have on the shelf someday. Excellent.

09 August, 2009