Reviews of Anvers 2 by Ulrich Lang

Find out more about Anvers 2 by Ulrich Lang in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Chypre

With its soft, woody/herbaceous/floral center, brightened on top by some crisp citrus and coniferous notes, and buttressed by mossy woods beneath, Anvers 2 is a slick, contemporary take on the classic green chypre structure. I find this scent remarkable in its combination of transparency and complexity. Most scents that have this much going on at once are big and boisterous, but when I wear Anvers 2 I feel as if I can (or perhaps do) smell my own skin right through it.

After the first hour or so of wear an extraordinarily well balanced, labdanum-rich amber makes itself known in the base line. Upon reflection, I wonder if it isn’t the labdanum component in that amber that suggests a natural skin scent shining through Anvers 2? Cistus ladaniferus (the source of labdanum,) grows in abundance in my neighborhood, and the resin smells quite like my own skin – only amplified 100 fold. What I haven’t heard mentioned in reviews so far is leather, and while it does not appear in the official pyramid, I keep getting an impression of leather at Anvers 2’s heart. Is it illusory? Perhaps. But if so, it’s a pleasant illusion.

In its quiet sophistication, Avers 2 is similar in mood, though not actual scent, to Ormonde Man and Jil Sander’s Scent No. 79 for Men. If it were twice as potent, it might also conjure up Guerlain’s Derby, which while no sillage monster itself, takes a more muscular approach to this green/leathery chypre theme.

So, is it good? Yes, I think so. Would I go out and buy it? Probably not. I like my scents more forthright and conspicuous than Anvers 2, and so might gravitate toward the bolder Jil Sander if I were looking for an understated chypre of this sort. Then again, I’ll probably just stick with Derby. It makes the most impact of all, and is no less suave than any.

09 June, 2014

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

A pleasant, safe and to be honest generic scent that has a decent quality and very nice overall smell.
    The opening is a semi fresh citrusy scent with a little amount of black pepper, some green notes and tonka bean.
    It's tart and fresh with some green notes from cypress and there is enough amount of tonka bean here to give the scent a creamy sweet and a little bitter feeling.
    I can smell black pepper as well but it's very smooth and only stay with the scent for about 10 minutes and then it's gone.
    As time goes by the scent gets a little more sweet and now floral notes, specially rose kick in.
    I can no longer smell citruses, green notes and black pepper but instead vetiver says hello to us in this part.
    While we have a smooth sweet floral smell in the mid, the vetiver note give the scent an earthy and rooty feeling which is very nice.
    There is some woods in here too but it's completely in the background. doesn't even have a chance!
    In the base the floral note gets weaker and I can smell sweet tonka bean with a little bitter feeling and some rose and some woods in the background.
    Projection is OK and longevity is around 4-6 hours on my skin.
    I believe this fragrance could be perfectly a unisex fragrance.

30th January, 2014

PeteH's avatar

Sweet, leathery fragrance which; and I know this sounds silly, but this is how it is; smells "hot" to me.

There's honey, soft leather, and a lot of spice. Anvers 2 is complex, yet understated.

An addition to my permanent collection.

13 October, 2012

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

If the advertising is to be believed Ulrich Lang’s Anvers 2 is a veritable pyramid slut with its notes of bergamot, lime, lemon, black pepper, wild basil, rhubarb and cypress, Bulgarian rose, jasmine, lily, mimosa, blond woods (cedarwood and sandalwood), vetiver, tonka bean, vanilla, musk, amber, olibanum and oakmoss.

Indeed, it is diverse and protean. But there's a pecking order too, with rhubarb foremost, followed by a cosy tobacco accord, and jasmine not far behind.

Anvers 2 impresses at first for possessing so much fruity-floral-leather get-up-and-go, but after an hour I'm bored by its vagueness.

13 July, 2012

Bigsly's avatar

Certainly not terrible but I'd be curious to know what kinds of guys would wear this on a regular basis. Perhaps young guys, the ones that can afford it and know about it. It's soft and sweet, with a light cherry tobacco type of note dominating the drydown. I guess it's reasonably natural but this smell does not come across as something I'd ever come across in nature, so to me it doesn't have the kind of "naturalness" I'm seeking. I prefer something that's clearly "synthetic" smelling, such as Magnetism for Men. This is the kind of fragrance I avoid so I don't know how "objective" I can be otherwise. If you want a cheap version of this, consider Samba Red for Men, which I already have and almost never have any interest in wearing. I'll give it a neutral because I can't say it's "bad."

12 February, 2011

LiveJazz's avatar

I glanced at Anvers 2's pyramid awhile back and almost ran away without looking back. I tend to dislike "everything but the kitchen sink" scents. They usually come across as an unfocused mess of notes in disarray. Looking at the pyramid, Anvers 2 should fall into this category.

Thankfully, it does not. I was convinced to get a sample after reading Off-Scenter's excellent review, in which he alludes to the simplicity/complexity paradox of Anvers 2.

In short, he is right. It is complex, but never bludgeons your nose with chaos like, say, Antidote. Anvers 2 reveals a whiff of greens here, florals there, tobacco, pepper, woods, amber and more. This concoction should collapse under its own weight and project a swampy, dismal cloud. But instead, it's an agile, cat-like fragrance. None of the elements conflict. Light on their feet, they dance around each other, perfectly synchronized.

Anvers 2 manages to smell rich, fresh and ethereal all at once, and it's a great experience for almost any occasion.

09 August, 2010

Kaern's avatar

Sweet, woody, rich and almost pipe tobacco in the drydown. A vast improvement to Anvers 1, which is ok but a bit bland. If the fragrances are improving the higher the numbers get I am going to buy Anvers 3 blind.

04 March, 2010

Justin Case's avatar

My wife liked this one but I picked up the smell of acetone the entire time.. I wish my nose weren't so strange.

21st March, 2009

Vasily's avatar

Totally unexceptional "modern" fragrance. A perfume for members of the post-adolescent generation who've outgrown their Axe body spray and Hello Kitty perfume but are not ready for a challenging fragrance experience. Sorry, I think there are better ways to spend one's hard-earned perfume budget.

14 March, 2009

SirSlarty's avatar

I think this can be unisex. Reminds me of a refined, classier, and more acceptable Dolce & Gabanna Light Blue for Women just without all that powdery mess (and I like D&G LB). Not love at first sniff but this is an amazing blend of, well, everything. Foody, sweet and grassy and spicy and... well.... everything. But it doesn't settle down at all and yet it doesn't confuse you. Like a motivational speaker, it keeps you entertained without you knowing it. The price is right, too, as far as niche frags go. I don't know where this can go wrong.

26 June, 2008

Joe_Frances's avatar

A nice soft modern scent that is slightly sweet, slightly woody, and distinguishable from the whole army of ozone fragrances by its aura of warmth and charm. Despite the fact that it is light, it has some decent staying power. This is one mod scent that actually has personality. For young guys who wear wild Prada jackets with super tight black pants and stay out very late. Hip, young and exciting, it is dangerously close to being unisex.

18 November, 2007 (Last Edited: 31st January, 2010)

JaimeB's avatar

This is a captivating scent. It grows on you slowly, but it blossoms beautifully. There's a lot going on in this scent. The pyramid is crammed with different notes, but somehow, it's all making beautiful harmony. Apart from the hesperidic notes in the top, the rhubarb and cypress (also in the headnote) pick up the cedar, sandalwood, and vetiver in the heart. The floral accord lends a touch of sweetness without overwhelming the greener, spicier and darker notes. Some oakmoss in the base gives this a chypre quality, anchored by the florals and bergamot; and yet this is balanced by oriental notes in the base. It's not cheap, but in my estimation, it's much better than some that are even more expensive!

25 October, 2007