Neutral Reviews of Anvers 2 by Ulrich Lang

rbaker Show all reviews
A fresh bergamot-lemon duo together with black pepper make for a lovely coupling if two extremes that works very well on my skin. Very soon a nice cypress provides and overarching wood impression, which sees a flowery turn with olibanum in the drydown.

At that stage it collapses and retreats to remain very close to my skin, with a sweet musky notes vanilla note in the base.

The sillage is soft overall, the projection limited after the first couple of hours, and I get a total longevity of five hours. Nice in spring, but the lovely first impression is followed by a disappointing second phase. 2.5/5
05th December, 2015 (last edited: 15th December, 2015)
Big, powerful, initially nasty, chypre that contains so many ingredients it's hard to get a handle on it. If I didn't know better, I'd swear it came from the early 1980s. It's raw, rough, and bitter. My husband is reminded of a fallen shelf in a scent shop, crashing a cacophany of different concoctions together in an industrial strength puddle.

It's hardly sweet or honeyed or a leather, as Turin describes it. It walks the line between a fougere gone mad and a green masculine power bomb. It calms down to a smoky woody resin mix that is still too sharp, too harsh, too much an assault on the nose, to be likeable.

Restraint was needed here, something to lighten it and bring it up out of the depths it wallows in. Not awful, but not nice and not my cup of tea.

30th November, 2015
On me, Anvers 2 kicks off with a flowery spicy haze, vaguely metallic and intentionally very artificial. It comes off like a men's designer scent, but with an ozone focus instead of the "woody amber" aquatics that usually accompany smells of this type. Given time, it ends up as a cross between a very chemical amber and a wet cardboard tobacco smell.

But really, it's worth noting that trying to pick out notes here is kind of ludicrous because it very much just smells like sweet, aromatic, masculine chemicals.

I think Ulrich Lang fills a specific niche of not-too-expensive perfumes intended for people who like men's mall scents and want something just a small step up. As such, Anvers 2 and his others are pleasant and completely wearable, but don't feel very artful or groundbreaking, which makes them great for offices and first dates, but not for serious sniffing.
17th November, 2015

For all the notes involved in this fragrance, I would have expected it to be a chemical mess. That's not the case at all. Very light floral with woods and a touch of vetiver. Projection is a little below average (not a bad thing). I would wear this in the fall and early spring. Don't let the light projection fool you. 6.5/10
05th January, 2015
A pleasant, safe and to be honest generic scent that has a decent quality and very nice overall smell.
The opening is a semi fresh citrusy scent with a little amount of black pepper, some green notes and tonka bean.
It's tart and fresh with some green notes from cypress and there is enough amount of tonka bean here to give the scent a creamy sweet and a little bitter feeling.
I can smell black pepper as well but it's very smooth and only stay with the scent for about 10 minutes and then it's gone.
As time goes by the scent gets a little more sweet and now floral notes, specially rose kick in.
I can no longer smell citruses, green notes and black pepper but instead vetiver says hello to us in this part.
While we have a smooth sweet floral smell in the mid, the vetiver note give the scent an earthy and rooty feeling which is very nice.
There is some woods in here too but it's completely in the background. doesn't even have a chance!
In the base the floral note gets weaker and I can smell sweet tonka bean with a little bitter feeling and some rose and some woods in the background.
Projection is OK and longevity is around 4-6 hours on my skin.
I believe this fragrance could be perfectly a unisex fragrance.
30th January, 2014
If the advertising is to be believed Ulrich Lang’s Anvers 2 is a veritable pyramid slut with its notes of bergamot, lime, lemon, black pepper, wild basil, rhubarb and cypress, Bulgarian rose, jasmine, lily, mimosa, blond woods (cedarwood and sandalwood), vetiver, tonka bean, vanilla, musk, amber, olibanum and oakmoss.

Indeed, it is diverse and protean. But there's a pecking order too, with rhubarb foremost, followed by a cosy tobacco accord, and jasmine not far behind.

Anvers 2 impresses at first for possessing so much fruity-floral-leather get-up-and-go, but after an hour I'm bored by its vagueness.
13th July, 2012
Bigsly Show all reviews
Certainly not terrible but I'd be curious to know what kinds of guys would wear this on a regular basis. Perhaps young guys, the ones that can afford it and know about it. It's soft and sweet, with a light cherry tobacco type of note dominating the drydown. I guess it's reasonably natural but this smell does not come across as something I'd ever come across in nature, so to me it doesn't have the kind of "naturalness" I'm seeking. I prefer something that's clearly "synthetic" smelling, such as Magnetism for Men. This is the kind of fragrance I avoid so I don't know how "objective" I can be otherwise. If you want a cheap version of this, consider Samba Red for Men, which I already have and almost never have any interest in wearing. I'll give it a neutral because I can't say it's "bad."
12th February, 2011
My wife liked this one but I picked up the smell of acetone the entire time.. I wish my nose weren't so strange.
21st March, 2009
Vasily Show all reviews
Totally unexceptional "modern" fragrance. A perfume for members of the post-adolescent generation who've outgrown their Axe body spray and Hello Kitty perfume but are not ready for a challenging fragrance experience. Sorry, I think there are better ways to spend one's hard-earned perfume budget.
14th March, 2009