Neutral Reviews of Anvers 2 by Ulrich Lang

Find out more about Anvers 2 by Ulrich Lang in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

A pleasant, safe and to be honest generic scent that has a decent quality and very nice overall smell.
    The opening is a semi fresh citrusy scent with a little amount of black pepper, some green notes and tonka bean.
    It's tart and fresh with some green notes from cypress and there is enough amount of tonka bean here to give the scent a creamy sweet and a little bitter feeling.
    I can smell black pepper as well but it's very smooth and only stay with the scent for about 10 minutes and then it's gone.
    As time goes by the scent gets a little more sweet and now floral notes, specially rose kick in.
    I can no longer smell citruses, green notes and black pepper but instead vetiver says hello to us in this part.
    While we have a smooth sweet floral smell in the mid, the vetiver note give the scent an earthy and rooty feeling which is very nice.
    There is some woods in here too but it's completely in the background. doesn't even have a chance!
    In the base the floral note gets weaker and I can smell sweet tonka bean with a little bitter feeling and some rose and some woods in the background.
    Projection is OK and longevity is around 4-6 hours on my skin.
    I believe this fragrance could be perfectly a unisex fragrance.

30th January, 2014

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

If the advertising is to be believed Ulrich Lang’s Anvers 2 is a veritable pyramid slut with its notes of bergamot, lime, lemon, black pepper, wild basil, rhubarb and cypress, Bulgarian rose, jasmine, lily, mimosa, blond woods (cedarwood and sandalwood), vetiver, tonka bean, vanilla, musk, amber, olibanum and oakmoss.

Indeed, it is diverse and protean. But there's a pecking order too, with rhubarb foremost, followed by a cosy tobacco accord, and jasmine not far behind.

Anvers 2 impresses at first for possessing so much fruity-floral-leather get-up-and-go, but after an hour I'm bored by its vagueness.

13 July, 2012

Bigsly's avatar

Certainly not terrible but I'd be curious to know what kinds of guys would wear this on a regular basis. Perhaps young guys, the ones that can afford it and know about it. It's soft and sweet, with a light cherry tobacco type of note dominating the drydown. I guess it's reasonably natural but this smell does not come across as something I'd ever come across in nature, so to me it doesn't have the kind of "naturalness" I'm seeking. I prefer something that's clearly "synthetic" smelling, such as Magnetism for Men. This is the kind of fragrance I avoid so I don't know how "objective" I can be otherwise. If you want a cheap version of this, consider Samba Red for Men, which I already have and almost never have any interest in wearing. I'll give it a neutral because I can't say it's "bad."

12 February, 2011

Justin Case's avatar

My wife liked this one but I picked up the smell of acetone the entire time.. I wish my nose weren't so strange.

21st March, 2009

Vasily's avatar

Totally unexceptional "modern" fragrance. A perfume for members of the post-adolescent generation who've outgrown their Axe body spray and Hello Kitty perfume but are not ready for a challenging fragrance experience. Sorry, I think there are better ways to spend one's hard-earned perfume budget.

14 March, 2009