Positive Reviews of Deseo by Jennifer Lopez

Find out more about Deseo by Jennifer Lopez in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

RoseInStone's avatar

Interesting and better than expected

There has only been one Jennifer Lopez fragrance which I have liked so far. All of the others have been way too sweet and young for my liking. That number has now increased to two which I quite like.

I find I disagree with many other reviews on here. Though it is only my humble opinion I find this fragrance very sweet, although I agree it is strangely in a way which I don't mind. Usually I can't stand overly sweet fragrances. This one is right on the edge but for some reason it's ok. It's not to sophisticated. It's playful and young but you couldn't call it classy. I also wouldn't say it's unisex. It's far too sweet for that.

There is a lot of coconut going on here which normally I dislike but in this case it's not that bad. Saying that it is what cheapens it a bit. It projects nicely without being overpowering but it really doesn't last long. For me that's good because while I like it, I do think the sweetness could become too much after a while.

This is certainly a summer fragrance and better suited to young women but it's really quite nice.

27 July, 2013

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

I tried this scent today while passing by in a store.

I must admit that I was very pleasantly surprised to have found it; the scent is very nice!

It starts with a bamboo citrus accord that is uplifting and exciting; within 20 minutes you get a floral heart accord which is also lovely but not overtly sweet; the drydown is yet to come and am looking forward to the oakmoss and musk that I have read about from previous reviews.

Big thumbs up!

20th November, 2012

blood-orange's avatar

I really liked this perfume. It's floral and sweet without being too teeny and sickening. I can imagine this fragrance appealing to women and not just little girls. I actually find this fragrance quite sophisticated and versatile. It could blend well into any situation, whether it be a casual outing or a special occasion. However the scent is not long-lasting, so I find that to be this scent's only downfall.

26 April, 2011

CoL's avatar

This is lovely stuff. A nice subtle tropical fruity type scent. Rather unisex but I say that about most fragrances as I really don't care what lable the marketers put on it. Citrus followed by a tropical fruit accord with a tiny touch of coconut. Really lovely and mega cheap now! The bottle is so tacky it's cool!

02 December, 2010

Noraed's avatar

Generally it smells citrusy and musky. But it’s defiantly sophisticated.
    It is not a brilliant creation but it is nice for a change.

It is a Floral - Woody Musk type of perfume.
    It begins with a citrusy, orange, and green scent then ends with a woody and musky scent.

It is a good choice if you want to change from sweet and floral smelling perfumes.
    Recommendable for people who are into musky and citrusy scents.

12 November, 2009

truelateral's avatar

I agree with the beachy comments. This is a light, unprepossessing fragrance with coconut and beach traits. I wore it occasionally in the summer. Not too overpowering, not too remarkable, but very wearable and pleasant.

25 October, 2009

I like it. The first notes that hit my nose are the bamboo leaf green from the top and the mineral accord from the base. These set me in the right mood for enjoying this fragrance… fresh, green, and clean… the combination is delightful. The floral middle is a combined accord and I can’t really pick out any notes except possibly the geranium flower. This too is a clean accord and it corresponds nicely with the mineral accord that remains in the background through the whole fragrance. The base is the best because it reveals a nice oakmoss amid the rest of the attractive confusion of the basenotes. I love the combination of mineral and oakmoss. Okay, this isn’t a premium fragrance that makes me weak in the knees, but it’s a pleasantly enjoyable fresh fragrance that performs well and that maybe has a little bit of something new and original going on in it. Ayala is spot on when she says that the drydown could work for a man. Although the heart accord is too floral for me, the drydown certainly works on this man. Deseo has a gentle sillage and good longevity.

28 November, 2008

ubuandibeme's avatar

I'm thankful Ayala reviewed this one, she is always articulate and detailed...for me, Deseo was suprisingly good. A beach scent is how I'd classify it, and it is extremely enjoyable to wear. Also, the bottle is much more attractive in person than in ads.

18 May, 2008

Ayala's avatar

Ever since I watched Jennifer Lopez’s mind blowing performance in U-Turn, I’ve been waiting for something like this to happen in her perfume line. I know, this is a rather nive wishful thinking, but we can all dream a little… I don’t know what the future holds for the J. Lo perfume line, but so far the only one I can smell myself wearing is the newest one - Deseo. That is not to say that Deseo is even remotely close to mind blowing in perfume terms. But at least it’s nice to find a fragrance to like bearing the name of such a talented actress (and I do prefer Ms. Lopez acting than her music). However, while Glow was too soapy, Still just not interesting, Miami Glow mouthwateringly artificial (and so were most of the others to follow – Live and the rest of the limited edition sequels for Glow) – Deseo is easily wearable and falls exactly into the fragrance category I would have belong to if I was the typical modern woman of my typical social cross section (which I’m not).

Deseo joins the growing family of modern chypres, and to me smells like a hybrid between Pure Turquoise and With Love (Hilary Duff). It starts fresh and citrusy, yet not as brisk as Pure Turquoise. It brings forth some milky notes, but is not quite as milky as With Love, as it stirs towards beachy coconut-milk, skin and sand notes. The floral heart is obscure and I can’t say I recognize any particular note, but if you are familiar with star jasmine, this might be the only thing I can somehow relate to that resembles a living flower. Star jasmine is not a true jasmine, and has a fresh, fleeting green-floral note. It is easy to see why it’s getting so popular with recent fragrances released – it’s a white floral sans the drama, i.e. with the indole left out. The underlining notes are not any more articulate than the heart notes – mostly musks and woods of vague origin, yet upon dry down the oakmoss starts to really shine through, which is very encouraging for all of us true chypre lovers who are being fed a non-oakmoss chypre diet for quite some time…

Judging by the packaging and name (Deseo means desire in Spanish) is meant to symbolize something deeper than it may seem – the bottle being in the shape of a diamond in the rough, and that got to have some deeper meaning in regards to Ms. Lopez’ life story, perhaps even with some implications to other diamonds out there yet to be discovered... What I’m smelling though, is fresh citrus notes of no particular identity, slightly beachy with nice smelling yet nondescript floral bouquet, over woody and and slightly warm and skin like base anchored in moss and salty mineral notes. The base would definitely suit a man very well. It is simple, clean, easy to wear (even more easy to wear than Pure Turquoise), cool yet neither aloof nor distant, fun but not overly beach, serene without being pretentious - and that is precisely what I like about Deseo. After all, any diamond, even a diamond in the rough, is just a cold stone and unless it's adorning a certain piece of jewelry...

17 May, 2008

Z-Fragrance's avatar

My sister bought and it smells amazinng on her. She just smells so good. I would recomend this fragrance to every single one of my female friends.

14 May, 2008

Lille Kra's avatar

Norway Norway

I didn't expect to like this perfume. At all. As it turned out, I love it. As does quite a few of the other girls at work as well as the mother of two of them. My roommate had to go get one for herself. It reminds me of summerdays on the beach. I can actually smell the sea after wearing this for a while. It's a nice change when I tire of my other sweeter scents, or just want a break from winter.

06 April, 2008