Positive Reviews of Fougère Bengale by Parfum d'Empire

Find out more about Fougère Bengale by Parfum d'Empire in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Diptyque's L'Autre takes a nice shower, then settles down to a caffe mocha.

Fougere Bengale starts out as an oddly dry coffee and chocolate gourmand that's seasoned with exotic spices. Several of the prominent top notes are "Bengale" indeed: coriander seed, turmeric, cumin, ginger, and black pepper. The resulting curry accord persists, albeit more discreetly, right into Fougere Bengale's heart. After a half an hour on the skin, a classical aromatic/sweet/mossy fougere arrangement wells up underneath the Indian restaurant accord. Next up is a generous dose of syrupy immortelle. Happily, the moss and the bitter aromatic notes offer balance and contrast against the gourmand mocha and spices, so that Fougere Bengale never becomes overly sweet and syrupy. It certainly smells dark and rich, but also "hot," or even a bit parched.

After a couple of hours the chocolate drifts into the background, leaving the spices and the semi-sweet fougere base to themselves. Late in the game Fougere Bengale lets go a charming surprise: a sweet, mellow tobacco leaf note that drifts up and hovers quietly above the moss and vanilla drydown. It's a warm and comforting end to an interesting journey. The strong curry accord will not please everybody. It's certainly not among my favorites. But if the idea of wearing garam masala appeals to you, go out and try Fougere Bengale - it's very well done.

14th June, 2014

Sly2scents's avatar

I blind bought this (what was I thinking) but as time progressed it grew on me in a weird way. At first spray, the curry immediately smacks the nostrils the syrupy, sticky honey kicks in after a few seconds. Then, the hay with a hint of ginger here and there. From a few wearings ovespraying isn't advised.

26th April, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

Fougère Bengale opens with a nice, rich, powerful, kind of dark and almost intoxicating blend of spicy-resinous notes, almost boozy initially, a tad sticky and cleverly mixing an Oriental feel of candied-spicy sumptuosity with a Mediterranean herbal inspiration – which is possibly the nicest trademark of Corticchiato’s style, I personally think he’s particularly good in “revisiting” the classic French opulence with a shady Mediterranean feel. At the very heart of Fougère Bengale lies a powerful, incredibly aromatic, thick and warm herbal-tobacco accord comprising nuances of hay, licorice, aniseed. A light floral breeze provides the right amount of liveliness and “fresh air”, together with a sweet and graceful tea note (perfectly melting with licorice) and a subtle yet detectable mint-balsamic feel. Fantastic drydown rich in tobacco and, again, sweet-balsamic nuances of licorice and aniseed, just more woodier, overall quite dark but still with a touch of floral grace. I feel the tribute to fougères too, although this is not a fougère at all and has quite nothing to do with traditional fougères – I only think it’s more a matter of small subtle echoes (tobacco, woods, lavender, herbs...). Evidently close to some Lutens works as well, like other scents by Parfum d’Empire, but somehow more austere, more green, and also more simple. Honestly I don’t think the materials are that great here (just a feel), but Fougère Bengale is overall surely pleasant, refined, rich and sophisticated with its peculiar sort of Mediterranean “gloominesss”. A bit linear, but you won’t get tired of smelling it.

7-7,5/10

25th February, 2014 (Last Edited: 27th December, 2014)

iivanita's avatar

Croatia Croatia

This is one of the booziest scents i have ever tried.

Most dominant hey note,'mixed with some spices reminds me of some hot dry place where there is little green or humidity there is something so cognac, very boozy.

Its more masculine scent because that boozy note does not go well with feminine style:-) , but its sweet, there is no association to jungle, but the strength and opulence can be connected to the pure strength of tiger, i like it.....

Wearing this scent i visualise lions hidden from the hot dessert sun under the very scarce tree shadow

16th March, 2013

molodyko's avatar

Though I am in my 40s, I have found that I have old school tastes for colognes. I rarely like anything on the market now (or in the last 25 years) in the US. But I do favor the scents of Lutens and Goutal and my perennial favorite is Hermes Equipage.

I just got Fougère Bengale. I did not like it after I first sprayed it on. Now, an hour later, it feels like and old friend and I love it. I also received a sample of Equistrius from Parfum d'Empire and look forward to possibly making another friend.

27th February, 2013

alfarom's avatar

Curry, ginger and Helichrysum (Immortelle) with lavender on top. I suspect the curry not being actually present but just being recalled by the everlasting flowers that in some specific context may assume a culinary/spicy feel. Tobacco and hints of vanilla in the base joined by oakmoss. Nice and well orchestrated with just a touch of sweetness but when it comes to immortelle, I still perfer stronger compositions a-la Sables.

Not exactly a fougere, more of a fougere-like.

18th September, 2011

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

When I first smelled Fougère Bengale upon its release I was uncertain whether I would like it - the fougère part was immensely attractive but the tobacco note, which has a clear curry leaf and immortelle aspect to it, was a bit critical. I'm overly sensitive to immortelle and cannot stomach either Eau Noir or Sables, nor do I like to smell of curry-cumin dishes as much as I like to eat them. Thankfully, this part of the fragrance has turned out to behave well on my skin.
    Like others I find there is a pleasant boozy aspect to the opening, which doesn't seem all that lavendery in the usual fashion. The herbal-hay leads over nicely to the very dry tobacco note with its salty-spicy character, which is quite similar to that in Lorenzo Villoresi's very rare tobacco scent "Virginia." This dryness is balanced by sweet, slightly vanillic notes of tonka, but it clearly defines the scent as principally dusty and dark. The association with strong black Assam tea leaves makes sense, though it is not made as explicit as in many tea fragrances proper. The Patchouli adds some restrained camphor-like nuances and woody substance in the base.
    In sum, Fougère Bengale comes acros as rather serious and formal, rather than leisurely or even romantic. A dinner suit for the tropics tailored on Savile Row would make a nice match, perhaps.

03rd August, 2011

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

I admit I was sensitive enough to be repulsed in 2007 (when it came out) by the image and concept behind the perfume itself : All that talk about tiger hunting got under my skin, and I actually tried this about two years later...

A big love at first sniff made me forget about poor tigers and sleazy british hunters. Bought myself a 100ml bottle right away.

FB is unbelievably delicious. The way immortelle and civet (there's a good doze of these both) are mixed with classic fougere base makes this a really unique smelling thing : Sure, it has some similarities with such fragrances as Eau Noire and Sables, but it smells very different in the end.

I smell raisins, dried plums, wet hay bales, damp straws, warm fur of some wild animal, pipe tobacco and curry-like spices - among some other things.

For a foody and almost gourmand scent this is exceptionally masculine, although it could of course be worn by women, too.

As you may know this company's bottles come with suprisingly full and unsteady spray mechanism. Makes a small challenge in application since this, like some other PdE perfumes, are very strong with loads of character. The one needs to be fairly easy on the trigger to avoid overdoze and that way boredom towards this brilliant fragrance.

Really a gorgeous thing and, if there ever was such a thing as animalic gourmand, then this is the one.

Five shining stars.

13th March, 2011

Dorian Gray's avatar

I seem to be creating a collection of 'curry' scents. I love Indian food, and now it seems, I want to smell like it. So Ive added this to a selection of Eau Noire, L'Autre, Serge Noire and Declaration. Seems I cant get enough of cumin or imortelle.
    I get a slightly boozy rum accord from FB, very thick and rich and if I was to compare it Id choose Sables with a bit of added sweetness, but not too much.

19th July, 2010

cpk's avatar

Greece Greece

After a cursory first contact with this perfume I felt a very strong attraction although I could not figure out what I liked exactly. What stayed in my memory was a very warm, herbal aroma.
    Later I had the opportunity to try it with a generous spray in a perfume shop. Initially, what surprised me is a touch of vinegar, that others might describe as chutney. Coriander can often create such a sour topnote or basil. What dominates the heart of the perfume is a very faithful reproduction of the scent of tobacco leaf. Immortelle? Although not mentioned in the note pyramid I can clearly understand the affinity (notes from http://www.parfyym.pri.ee/. : Topnotes: lavender, Heartnotes: tonka beans, tobacco, spices, laurel, Basenotes: mint, moss, ginger, patchouli, gingerbread)
    But what was revealed in the drydown of the scent was really a surprise. It is the most faithful reproduction of a natural scent that I associate with summer holidays: the smell of wet straw, whether it is in a straw mat stretched on the sand on a beach, or in a straw hat or a wicker chair that was left exposed to the humid night air. It is a very characteristic odor, herbal and totally unique. If this means anything to you, try FB. Well worth it.

17th October, 2009

Sugandaraja's avatar

I love Fougère Bengale. It's my favorite immortelle fragrance, and I've tried quite a few.

Yes, it smells like curry, but it doesn't just smell like curry - it's green, it's spicy, it's herbal, and its fougère touch gives it a classic men's fragrance feel.

The top notes are lavender and coriander with immortelle peaking through in the background. The coriander note is like coriander leaves to me - greenly spicy rather than a spice cupboard effect. Think of the chopped cilantro used in Indian and Mexican food. The lavender is herbal, its floral qualities hidden. It's all very fresh and transparent initially, though it is - thankfully, given my tastes - free of citrus and aquatic notes.

In the heart the immortelle dominates, but slowly it mellows and the oakmoss makes itself at home, green and slightly bitter, with tobacco and a touch of a vanillic base. All very pleasant, gentle and unobtrusive.

I find the sillage good but the longevity a little wanting - I could do with more than the six to eight hours it gives me. That being said, its charm, lightness, and easy wearability paired with an unusual spicy-gourmand-meets-green-fougère accord make it a real winner in my book.

21st April, 2009 (Last Edited: 21st July, 2009)

jenson's avatar

India India

i dont get any chocolate or coffee at all..all i get in the opening is - green chutney note(minus the chilli) with coriander paste and hint of turmeric. as it progresses it moves into a damp note of patchouli done in the same style as BOIS 1920 Patchouli or a Profumum Thundra not as earthy as the latter two though..soon one cud smell dried tobbaco leaves emnating givin this a very classic old style approach. the combination of patchouli and tobbaco is very well blended...settling finally into a very earthy base...

nothing to really wow about...i cant think of any ocassion to wear it as well, except for a Safari or treks. this is not my type of scent, however, i have seen that many people like these type of green scents. i would trust the majority and give it a thumbs up. personally, neutral, worth a decant, not a bottle.

24th September, 2008

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Starting with a smoky cardamom coffee and continues with a surprisingly nice curry. Not long living and definitely masculine. I am not an spice lover and this is not appealing to me but i must admit that it is good work.

23rd September, 2008

odysseusm's avatar

Fougere Bengale by Parfum d’Empire is a big, dramatic scent in the style of Eau des Iles. It has a very aromatic opening that is intriguing, deep and likeable. There is lavender and a bit of roasted coffee. Despite notes I’ve read here and elsewhere this is not a really foody/gourmand scent, in my opinion. Then leathery, animalic notes (probably from an unnamed synthetic) contribute a slightly wild, savage note which has good staying power. There are interesting, complex spices here. They are done with a subtle hand and are not curry-ish at all. Finally, a honeyed hay-tobacco note emerges, and this too persists. A hay note is to be expected in a fougere, but this is sweeter and more substantial than usual. This is a sensual scent, suave and yet a bit dangerous. It is not quite my style (a little richer than I really like) but I have to admit it is attractive and enjoyable.

05th April, 2008