Neutral Reviews of Gypsy Water by Byredo

Very nice, smooth, clean vibe. Not liking the pine note though.

Good fragrance overall I guess, just not for me.

Not something I'll be decanting or paying $200+ dollars for.
15th April, 2018
Growing up, my mother quickly realized that, for a few years at least, my perfume grasp should not extend as far as my reach. I was 11, I wanted to wear her Ma Griffe and Youth Dew. She didn't want me wearing anything. Eventually, we compromised, and I was allowed 4711 and a bit of her Jean Nate. Several years later, when I was able to spend a portion of my babysitting budget on "colognes," I gravitated toward some of what I like to think of as the citrusy/herbal-ey/woody/green greats, like Eau de Lancome, Calandre, and Eau de Givenchy.

Gypsy Water reminds me of that style, albeit with a great slug of vanilla and some incense, both of which arrive a little too soon on the scene to muddy the waters. In addition, whereas the favorites of my teen years were assertive, with the kind of heft and projection that could cut through even the thickest of girls' bathroom and college-bar cigarette smoke, Gypsy Water stays close to my skin.

While it lingers, it's interesting enough to keep me sniffing, hoping to snag and hold on to the accord of piney goodness that pokes out every now and again, but the whole thing disappears so quickly that I can't see paying full price for a bottle of something this elusive, no matter how intriguing.
19th December, 2017 (last edited: 25th April, 2018)
A nice calm fragrance.a blend of vanilla,woods and citrus notes come together in a bright,subtle and persistent trail.not too sweet because sandalwood comes in to mellow the lemon down.no sharp edges here.it is very lovely but it is not a statement fragrance.the citrus and woods are very soft.Fresh, Clean,Homely,Balsamic,Peaceful,Comfortable,Delicate, Discreet,Inviting,Slightly Warm and Perfectly Unisex scent.

Lemony freshness then a creamy warm but not gourmand vanilla with a touch of amber on a bed of opulent woody notes of sandalwood creating a radiant,fresh and versatile aura.in fact the lime hits me first but mellows out quickly and the it just becomes sofly clean creamy scent.not too overpowering but definitely there.perfect for days that are growing cooler and shorter.al of the notes blend together pretty well.if you are looking for a nice soft not so in your face vanilla citrus that is just enough to obtain a swoon,you are exactly at the right place.

Sillage?Decent.

Longevity?Good on my skin.

6.75/10
06th August, 2016

Here's Byredo attempting to pull a Guerlain, with predictably laughable results. The bright and coniferous opening engages the nose before segueing to a light peppery orris and incense. Nice! It projects well too.

What a good start, or so I thought.

Unfortunately the party was soon gatecrashed by a lumbering ambery-vanillic accord that overstayed its welcome and just about overwhelmed everything save for the persistent incense.

If you enjoy vanillic insense scents as much as I do this is probably middle of the pack, some ways behind Atelier who did a far superior job with their Insensee Vanille.
21st July, 2016
A nice citrus and vanilla warm weather fragrance that stays close to the skin. Very nice. The pine and amber play a nice role in this one. Pricey fragrance for the amount of mls. 7.5/10
19th April, 2015
Warmth by soon
The combination of aromatic herbs as rosemary (may be others) and berries from the forests as juniper berries or pine needles (joined with dry elements as cedarwood, incense, bergamot, pepper and tart citrus) conjures me initially in perception the olfactory classicism unfolding from some notorious aromatic chypre or citrus aromatic from il Profvmo (Imprinting), Dyptique, Loewe (vaguely 7) or Penhaligon's (Blenheim Bouquet for instance); it actually happens for a short while (with the base notes immediately emerging), just till when a "gypsy twist" comes to be instilled in the aroma by an amber/vanilla denser fluid able to attenuate the initial classic aromatic tartness and bringing out a more rounded woody/vanilla heavy embrace. The "balsams' intervention" is actually too much marked since the beginning and it obstructs a full aromatic performance from the woodsy/tart notes (by soon enveloped in a warm embrace frustrating the citric/aromatic effects). In the average, anything to add.
Pros: Incensey/woodsy aftertaste
Cons: I'd have preferred less amber-vanilla"</p>
15th August, 2013 (last edited: 23rd February, 2014)
jacquia Show all reviews
Similar to Serge Lutens Douce Amere, although I prefer SL - has very little staying power.
19th March, 2010
A lightly peppered blend of pine needles and incense, supported by a warm creamy base. The opening is a blend of pepper, and a fairly robust lemon note. Within minutes, the emerging pine needles presence ensures that things become significantly tighter. The resulting accord is warm, amiable, but still decidedly peppery. A juniper and incense accord ushers in a slightly bitter,but rich middle phase. As Gyspy Water dries down,it loses its edge, and becomes a much softer and sweeter production. The amber,vanilla and sandalwood base supplies the smooth and creamy finish, but it is only moderately pleasing – it lacks the potency and quality to a be a fitting finale. As has been the case with nearly all the Byredo products, it is hampered by poor projection and longevity, but the early phases are quite engaging.
10th December, 2009