Reviews of Sycomore (new) by Chanel

Find out more about Sycomore (new) by Chanel in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

ClassicFan's avatar

Now this is a nice surprise. Great vetiver on par with Encre Noire but at the same time it's less harsh. This could be used year-round but most would like it for the late summer/fall/winter periods. The vetiver is very clear at the beginning but the nice juniper and cypress soften the experience. Very elegant. Think of Baie de Genievre by Creed mixed with Lalique Encre Noire. The pepper spices it up just a little and it trails off in a smoky drydown. Anyways it all blends so well. Definitely recommended, especially for those who already like Encre Noire.

22nd November, 2014

Noblesse Oblige's avatar

This is a wonderful fragrance. Sophisticated and dynamic, it goes through a series of metamorphoses before settling down to its warm sandalwood-forward base with vetiver backdrop. Until now I have never been a sandalwood fan, but Chanel has done something to take the cloy out of it for me, leaving me to make a fool out of myself sniffing my arm repeatedly. There are hints of other pleasantries that I can't place, perhaps a fleeting hint of orange is there? But the package is too harmonious for me to identify components confidently. I am impressed with how this scent changes but is always harmonious, and the vetiver is always there.

The marketers at Chanel must know what they are doing but to me there is nothing feminine about it. Nor is it boisterously masculine laden with musk and earth. It is just different.

Expensive, of course. The price structure is set so that you really do have to invest in the 6.8 oz size. I make it as 36% less per ounce relative to the 2.5 oz bottle. If you get swing it, get it.

20th November, 2014

sidewinder's avatar

Light, breezy, woodsy on the open, dries down to a nice, slightly rich vetiver. Points off for price. 4 out of 5

01st September, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woods

Sycomore is the Chanel Les Exclusifs essay on vetiver, and after several wearings I’m ready to place it among the best of the current vetivers, right next to Vétiver Extraordinaire, Givenchy Vetyver, Route du Vétiver, and Encre Noire. Sycomore is a dry vetiver, and like the Givenchy it has a touch of licorice and nutmeat about it. It is a clean scent, without the earthy quality of Route du Vétiver or the harsh vegetal profile of Vétiver Extraordinaire. Like Encre Noire, it is smoky, but where Encre Noire is gaunt and austere, Sycomore’s structure is softened and rounded by a generous amount of iris root. If a vetiver scent can be said to be plush, this one is.

Sycomore’s iris and vetiver are accompanied by a particularly rich, smooth sandalwood, which adds yet another degree of luxury to the scent’s enveloping texture. Sycomore evolves very slowly once its central smoky-soft structure establishes itself. The iris/vetiver/sandalwood axis tilts slightly from time to time, nudged in one direction by dry spices, and in another by some very discreet incense. Components fall away one by one over a span of about six hours, and Sycomore’s drydown belongs primarily to the persistent vetiver and sandalwood, but there’s also a bit of moss at the foundation; not much, but just enough to allude to the classical chypre style. The overall impression is one of luxurious comfort without a trace of stuffiness or blandness, so if you’re seeking a vetiver scent with depth, sophistication, and ease of wear, Sycomore should probably be on your short list.

05th July, 2014

Jack Hunter's avatar

It opens with a very dry and smoky vetiver with tobacco. After a while a lovely soft sandalwood takes over mixed in with cypress. The sour like vetiver note though still shines within the blend.

A very good quality vetiver scent!

12th June, 2014

lanvinelle's avatar

Germany Germany

Sycomore is a perfume that smells good from start to finish to me.It's dark,but not heavy.Surprisingly it works really well in hot weather.There is a fresh top note,possibly citrus, but it's not piercing.
    Shortly after the top notes are gone,I get a creamy nutty warmness which is slightly sweet.I adore this phase.Later the nuttiness subsides and the drydown is woody and quiet and easy to wear.
    This is a perfume that works great year around and on all occasions.I love to wear it on difficult days at work because it smells professional to me and still comforting

16th January, 2014

Dane77's avatar

Denmark Denmark

Birds singing in the sycamore tree...

An incredibly elegant and sophisticated smoky vetiver, Sycomore represents a pinnacle of confident refinement in this remarkably crowded fragrance category. Sycomore is a very dry scent, woody and hay-like, but it features little of the earthy or harsh aspects of vetiver, opting instead for a brighter and more uplifting experience. With intriguing subtlety, it achieves a very fine balance between heavy smoke, woods, dry grass and roots on the one hand and an ethereal spicy-green leafiness and lightness on the other. Its apparent simplicity and spontaneous elegance notwithstanding, Sycomore is actually a very complex fragrance seamlessly mixing vetiver roots, creamy sandalwood and dried tobacco with greens, spices and the Chanel hallmark aldehydes, the latter adding air and lightness to the composition and inscribing Sycomore securely into both the Chanel heritage and the Exclusifs collection. The result is a very distinct and versatile fragrance, impeccably formal and cool yet curiously edgy and charismatic, integrating the best of classic perfume tradition with the more poetic side of postmodern niche quirkiness. "Stars shining bright above you…"

27th September, 2013

Nefret's avatar

A clean, dry wood

This vetiver/woods perfume seems spare, handsome, and beyond gender (to me). Most seem to classify it as masculine, but I can wear it without a second thought. As it dries down, there is a curl of smoke, maybe a little thickness of something nutty, but it's still a classy wood at heart. Next, I should try Encre Noir, I know.

Pros: Quite good longevity, versatile
    Cons: Some weirdos think it smells like weed"

25th August, 2013

Countdown12's avatar

Interesting bold fragrance

I'll start by saying the luca turin review of this fragrance made me buy it. I love it, it lasts all day and with only one spray, but there are some draw backs.

Others think I sometimes smell like marijuana, it happens. I think the dry down really smells like a leaf drying out. It smells great! But I guess it does have simliar characteristics to marijuana.

Test this frag out first before you buy!

Pros: green, hemp?
    Cons: hemp?"

18th August, 2013

Gary F's avatar

Finally - A Vetiver I Can Believe In!

I have not had good luck with vetiver scents so far, but Sycomore is wonderful. There is no harshness here - the vetiver actually comes off as being soft. Perhaps this will give me more of an appreciation of this note. Great stuff!

Pros: Breathable Vetiver
    Cons:

30th June, 2013

Black Mask's avatar

Sycamore is the driest Chanel fragrance I have had the pleasure to smell, and it is among the driest complex fragrances I have encountered. Sycamore gives me the impression of an almost monolithic sandalwood crossed with vetiver in notes of extreme subtlety.

Monolithic is important as a description for this exclusive and expensive fragrance. It is monolithic first, more so than its various expressions of subtlety. Although I smell the citrus hints, and perhaps very low key floral hints, this invention by one of my favorite perfume designers, Jacques Polge, never opens up and expresses itself beyond its initial dry, discreet, woody and grassy effusion. Also, this fragrance is not unreservedly beautiful to my taste. Antaeus, for example, never fails to please me greatly, and bring a smile to my lips (and my nose).

Had I a choice, I would prefer to pay the same very high price for a pure sandalwood in all its creamy and dry but delicious purity: Forget the vetiver; forget the citrus; and forget whatever other subtle notes waft through,

Chanel still has access to the finest classical and traditional Indian, Mysore, sandalwood on the planet. I am told they bought up sections of forests many decades ago. In any case, now more than ever before, what an opportunity for Chanel to bring out a fragrance for men and women that is an expression of sure, healing, and sacred sandalwood? Deep within the heart of Sycamore is the promise of the perfect Chanel Sandalwood fragrance. I prefer Antaeus in all its splendor to Sycamore. It is a richer recipe that is more perfectly beautiful to my mind and sense of smell.

23rd April, 2013

taint it sweet's avatar

What a great fragrance. I think it's definitely different enough from Encre Noire to justify owning both. It's one of the smoothest, most versatile scents I own. A great vetiver scent, and I'm actually surprised this is "for women"...it's definitely something a man could feel comfortable wearing. Close to a perfect fragrance.

17th April, 2013

's avatar

Comparisons with Encre Noire are inevitable.

While Encre Noire smells much more a raw and earty vetiver, Sycomore is brighter and lighter.

I guess the main difference is about the supporting
    notes.

While sandalwood turns this into a creamy fragrance, the cashmere wood makes Encre Noire darker and heavier.

If you have enough money it's worth having both them. Actually if you dont, i'd stay with Encre Noire.

20th March, 2013

southerngardens's avatar

Sycomore has been given great reviews by many people and I think it is a light, masculine fragrance that has no weight and not as great as I was expecting. It would be a nice fragrance for spring and summer because of it's light vetiver. However, I like my fragrance to be able to stand on their own and shout a bit, but Sycomore just lays there and hovers above the skin.
    The opening is the best part of this frag with the abundant smell of Vetiver and the undertones of Pink Pepper. After about 15 minutes the pink Pepper is dying down, but the vetiver is still center stage with the scent of Juniper and Cypress making there way forward. After 30 minutes in the vetiver, cypress and juniper conspire to give of a tobacco accord even though it's not noted i the pyramid.
    After an hour, I finally start to get the aroma of smoking woods, but they are faint.
    The sillage is at it's best on me in the first 30 minutes. After that the sillage and longevity start to die off. It lasted at best 2 hours on me. Not very well compared to the reviews I have read.
    Sycomore is a light, lovely, masculine frag for someone else, but just not for me. Unisex in every way.

18th March, 2013

berganza's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Sycomore.. I wanted this scent and waited for a long time before I could afford it. And now I had to discover that this is not for me. A very green and overpowering smell, I get vertiver and smoke, and roots, greens of all sorts. I juts cannot wear this, I keep running away from myself. It is so un-Chanel - and I do own most of the others, including the Exclusifs. I do see that it is very well-made but do women really war this?

29th January, 2013

Valkyriespacegirl's avatar

This is heaven in Winter. I get a delicate blend of pine, lemon, and cypress. The sensation of catching a whiff is like walking through an elegant well kept garden in Spain, Florida, or Italy in January. The lemons are ripe on the trees and the wind is rustling through the pines, firs and cypress. The air is moist with chill and the sun is warm.
    I do not detect any smoke at all. I do detect a bright resinous quality that may be the smokiness on someone else's skin. Amazing quality and more lasting than other Chanel fragrances.

16th December, 2012

kida2007's avatar

This is something i wasnt expecting and its not really my typical scent but its a beautiful fragrance.
    The quality of it is ridiculous and its very smooth, strong and long lasting.
    If you have no idea what to expect then get your hands on Encre Noire and your 95% there, a trained nose can obviously tell the little differences but for what this costs its worth getting an idea what to expect.
    I'd call it a true Genderless scent, my mom likes it and guys too.
    Still having a hard time finding a slot for it to wear, i think on a very early summers morning when the air is cool but warm and the suns just come up its pretty amazing.

27th October, 2012

Picassoutine's avatar

You walk into the luxurious Paris apartment of Coco Chanel, fragrant flowers arranged in Lalique vases, and a waft of illicit smoke rises to tantalize your senses.

Becomes very subtle on my skin within an hour or two. Wish it would linger longer.

26th October, 2012 (Last Edited: 27th October, 2012)

hotreds's avatar

Smokey citrus. Nice mellow smoke unlike some that are over powering and remind you of your flannel shirt after a night in front of a bonfire!

26th October, 2012

iivanita's avatar

Croatia Croatia

from all the exclusifs line this one stood out by beeing most natural and unique one.
    smells modern, refined, unisex,strong yet calming, sick no more :)...with perfect longevity,for me best vetiver based scent!

this one is easy, simply perfect :)

09th October, 2012

rum's avatar

Greece Greece

Having purchased Sycomore, I am delighted to be reviewing it.

'A woody fire on the beach' is how this has been described before and it is definitely what drew me to sample it in the first place. I like woody scents, in fact I think now that my nose is more trained, I can safely say that I like vetiver, patchouli, cedarwood and sandalwood. This fragrance has all of the above and without a doubt vetiver is in the heart, in the opening and the base.

Based on past experiences, vetiver is often blended with citruses and to a lesser extent with other less-common notes such as tobacco. Sycomore goes against both of these trends and blends with other woods and juniper berries. The result is an unbelievably luscious dry-down and a very smoky opening. I am not too keen on the opening but it is still reminiscent of that wood fire on the beach - a picture that reminds me of corn on the cob roasted on coal just by the beach, being enjoyed right after a barbecue. Very nicely done and much more bearable than other smoky scents. A wonderful faint woody scent remains on your clothes even a day after wearing it, which seems to call out to you 'wear me again today!'.

Finally, I a brief word about the packaging (and I rarely do this): this is just what 'exclusive' should mean. Everything from the elegant box to the magnetic cap on top, to the sleek, straight lines of the bottle and the simplistic labelling make this a unique and refined fragrance to own. Expensive to get hold of (you can only get it in the boutiques), this is easily my favourite Chanel (it's also my only Chanel) and puts to shame all those other cheap attempts at 'doing' a vetiver scent. Simple, refined, perfection!

12th September, 2012 (Last Edited: 31st October, 2012)

Darvant's avatar

Not so much to add, Sycomore is an uncompromising clean (immediately starring) and elegant vetiver whose journey is embellished by coniferous notes, a well calibrated touch of smoke at distance and a peppery dose of incense. The floral patterns of the heart (probably a duo iris-violet) are obscure, lymphatic, softly "laundry" and slightly metallic being able to preserve the general cool, angular and subtle atmosphere of the  olfactory work. The dry down is warmer bacause of the encompassing action from sandalwood and musk but the juice still turns out basically pure, sharp, dark of smoke and cool due to cypress and fir.  The balance is extreme and a touch, but just a minimal touch, of tobacco rounds endly the  smell, imprinting a more masculine undertone. Effectively similar to  Encre Noir, Sycomore is a finally more rounded and complex fragrance  with its womanly side that comes out at distance by its softly musky and aldehydic ( the Chanel landmark) floral  nuances. A perfect scent for the lovers of the aqueous and slightly dusty kind of coniferous vetivers.

17th August, 2012 (Last Edited: 16th January, 2013)

noirdrakkar's avatar

More subtle wholesome and refined than Encre Noir. Opinion of this fragrance will always be divided between those who really like Vetiver based fragrances (and those people need to pick this up) and those who don't love Vetiver enough to want a whole fragrance based on it (not recommended for those people).

16th August, 2012

rynegne's avatar

Wow is all I have to say. This fragrance is magnificent, I wouldn't consider Sycomore a female fragrance by any means. I'm not sure as to why this isn't promoted under the Chanel pour homme products, I guess they're like to keep it a hidden gem amongst the Exlusifs line.

Imagine a cypress forest that was stuck by lightning. A small fire sets in a small portion of the forest. Where the ash of the slightly burnt trees lies is new grass and vegetation that's begun to grow in the now slightly damp forest. This smell wafts though the forest from miles away and finds your nose.

Great longevity and amazing woody frag..very light smoky hint with a very very clean crisp vetiver. No dirty quality here. I guess what surprised me most about this scent is the versatility. I wore it to the pool today and got a few compliments. The dry down is slightly similar to Bleu de Chanel, has anyone else detected that?

28th July, 2012 (Last Edited: 29th July, 2012)

Smelly Beast's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Sycomore is definetely the best vetiver out there IMHO. The vetiver is very proiminent giving a dark, dry, rooty woodines to the composition and Its very smoky and pepery too, almost incensy, I guess its because of the tabaco and the pink pepper. It´s not as angular or out there as it may seem though. The sandalwood and the aldehydes cut all the pointy corners making it very confortable an cousy to wear. Often people compare it to Encre Noir, they are indeed similar but Sycomore is much more polite and elegant.
    A must in every vetiver lover collection.

04th July, 2012

rbaker's avatar

This is classic cypress with pleasant vetiver essentially but restrained, in spite of a musky note shinig through with time. It has nothing of Creed's Cypres Musc's full directness, but is always refined, and more elegant and restrained than the similar Encre Noir - at a cost. A hint of juniper remains in the background, much more so than in Creed's Baie de Genièvre. This is refinement, eminently balanced with a mere hint of sweetness. More than four hours of longevity. This review only covers the new version.

21st April, 2012

andys's avatar

It is so so close to Encre Noir that I almost didn't buy.
    It is (probably/subjectively) slightly nicer than EN (just a touch more refined, just a fraction longer lasting). But it is mighty close and EN is (as other have remarked) significantly cheaper.
    I guess the point is there isn't a lot of point owning both (as I ended up doing...).
    A very nice fragrance (and certainly more appealing to me than Guerlain's Vetiver for example).

06th April, 2012

smcandsmc's avatar

Lying on the floor typing this, because I keep swooning out of my chair.
    Not at all restricted to women.
    Tried it in yesterday's heat, still smelled great, and I can't stop smelling myself. Transporting.

20th March, 2012

drseid's avatar

Extremely similar to Encre Noir but a bit softer and more polished. Sycomore most likely uses more natural ingredients. As Encre Noir is one of my favorites and Sycomore is slightly superior to it naturally I love it. That said, Encre Noir is easily the better value and is probably good enough for most folks. That said, if money is no object and you want the best in your collection, then I recommend Sycomore. 4.5 stars out of 5.

29th February, 2012 (Last Edited: 21st December, 2012)

indianwells's avatar

Wales Wales

This is Encre Noire with a silk shirt on. Simply beautiful.

20th February, 2012