Neutral Reviews of Sycomore (new) by Chanel

I am beginning to wonder if the vast tester bottles of the Les Exclusifs range which they have in airports are deliberately diluted. It may be that they want to give an impression of the scent, but don't want the whole departures lounge to be overpowered by perfume. There may be some strategy along those lines.

One thing I do know: the Sycamore that I tried at Heathrow terminal 2 last week was so dilute as to be almost imperceptible, either on a card or on skin. It required 10 sprays to be able to formulate an opinion. All trace was gone by the end of my 1 hour flight.

The much revered vetiver is almost absent. The vestige is of an over-refined vetivert, where all trace of dirt, earth, frisson,and pique have been eliminated, leaving something rather pasty and synthetic-smelling.

Draped over this flimsy structure is a heavy, cloying, invert sugar note, not unlike Aunt Jemima maple flavoured pancake syrup.

In the end, I resented the opportunity cost: I could have tried on something much better.
29th May, 2015
This scent, the 2008 version of Sycomore, is a legend on this site, and typically singled out as one of the best for men from the Chanel Exclusives, including by me.

I have a 5 ml decant which has given me many chances to wear it, and it's an artistic achievement, but it feels like a lost day of wearing something I would enjoy more. It's jarring to work it into a routine with my other fragrances.

I can say that it smells good, but I'm reticent to wear it.
03rd March, 2015
Sycomore has been given great reviews by many people and I think it is a light, masculine fragrance that has no weight and not as great as I was expecting. It would be a nice fragrance for spring and summer because of it's light vetiver. However, I like my fragrance to be able to stand on their own and shout a bit, but Sycomore just lays there and hovers above the skin.
The opening is the best part of this frag with the abundant smell of Vetiver and the undertones of Pink Pepper. After about 15 minutes the pink Pepper is dying down, but the vetiver is still center stage with the scent of Juniper and Cypress making there way forward. After 30 minutes in the vetiver, cypress and juniper conspire to give of a tobacco accord even though it's not noted i the pyramid.
After an hour, I finally start to get the aroma of smoking woods, but they are faint.
The sillage is at it's best on me in the first 30 minutes. After that the sillage and longevity start to die off. It lasted at best 2 hours on me. Not very well compared to the reviews I have read.
Sycomore is a light, lovely, masculine frag for someone else, but just not for me. Unisex in every way.
18th March, 2013

Sycomore.. I wanted this scent and waited for a long time before I could afford it. And now I had to discover that this is not for me. A very green and overpowering smell, I get vertiver and smoke, and roots, greens of all sorts. I juts cannot wear this, I keep running away from myself. It is so un-Chanel - and I do own most of the others, including the Exclusifs. I do see that it is very well-made but do women really war this?
29th January, 2013
maybe I don't get it. it smells very heavy, strong,dirty. like smoke. not feminine at all. really wow. doesn't smell sophisticated or friendly to me. wow. Didn't give it a thumbs down becaue I just feel like I am missing something there are too many thumbs up. maybe my sample is spoiled who knows.
01st December, 2011
Was expecting to love this. I'm fond of Incense and of Vetiver. Can't get enough of Incense Extreme, Encre Noir, Vetiver Fill in the Blank (Route, Extraordinaire, Dance).
Sycomore certainly contains a nice Vetiver note, but it's civilized with enough muted musk and sophisticated smoke that it just misses the mark. Although it is marketed to Women as many have pointed out it has a decidedly masculine edge. In this regard it sits too much on the fence. It either needs to get a touch more floral and go female, or go for broke and tear its shirt off. Clearly expensive but too careful for me.
24th March, 2011
A nice smokey vetiver, balanced with some wood notes, cypress, and a touch of pink pepper. I honestly get more cypress in this than vetiver. I think the cypress was used in the scent to imitate vetiver. Sycomore gives off a gray color. I see a rich artsy type who dresses in all black wearing this as an everyday scent, maybe one who sketches with charcoal sticks. I like how it opens, but after a few hours, the complexity of the scents wears off, and then it just smells like smoke. The kind of smoke you get maybe from burning pine leaves.
15th December, 2010 (last edited: 11th February, 2011)
Whatever hits me on the top here nearly made me ill. I agree with the reviewer who noted it was a bit harsh. Either the juniper or cypress punched me in the nose. After it dries down a bit I find it to be a nice smoky woods scent. I won't be wearing it as that is not my type but I think I would really enjoy it on a man.
14th September, 2009
I smell s similar vetiver vibe like those from Mugler Cologne, Original Vetiver and Paul Smith Story. It's much closer to Paul Smith Story where it's dirtier, a little dry and kidna smokey. Other than it being a little more concentrated, Paul Smith Story is way cheaper but lacks the dry woodiness of Sycomore. So for the price, you're buying a simple woody vetiver scent.
18th April, 2009