Reviews of Sycomore (new) by Chanel

Find out more about Sycomore (new) by Chanel in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

montmorency's avatar

Sycomore may just be the most delicious scent ever made; it's my desert island fragrance. I do not detect the 'le smoking' angle that several reviewers notice. For me this is the bewitching smoke of incense and outdoor olivewood fires, not of disgusting cigarettes. It's a very woody chypre, rich and smooth, a rounder, warmer take on Timbuktu's dry cool incense note. It's designed for women, and suits those of us who are not into girly sweet florals; it has the exotic quality of a fine light oriental without the often stale morning-after weight of that genre; it's a very grown-up, easy fragrance, what Baudelaire called 'nonchaloir'. I love it on men, too. It is hideously expensive and worth every penny.

11th March, 2010

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

I'm surprised at the general lack of enthusiasm. I find Sycomore to be a masterpiece of classical perfumery, aesthetically and technically flawless. This is what Creed's Original Vetiver would like to be, but miserably fails at. A light-hesperidic vetiver undergirded with smokey and anisic notes and a gentle allusion to (sandal)wood. The green citrus is impressively stable and long-lived, everything is comparatively static and harmonious, orchestrated to maintain the breeziness required for springtime and summer wear (I suppose cypress, vetiver and juniper notes manage to effectively carry the greenness into the woodier phase). Tasteful and with a refined elegance Sheldrake rarely had the chance to display in the heavier oriental affairs of Lutens. A reference vetiver indeed.

09 March, 2010

BayKAT's avatar

In 1920 US women gained the right to vote but not the right to smoke in public. The cigarette companies (obviously) had a problem with this, so they hired Edward Bernays (founder of Public Relations) to come up with a solution. Bernays created the 'Torches of Freedom' campaign, where women who wanted to stress their equality with men showed it by smoking in public. The French fashion houses saw where this was going and quickly jumped on the bandwagon, one result being Sycomore. My only comment is that US sentiment towards smoking has changed, and thus, a tobacco heavy perfume such as this in no longer in syle.

27 February, 2010

sblades138's avatar

Vetiver can be astringent for some, but I absolutely adore it...and Sycomore is a wonderful rendition of vetiver! Before trying Sycomore, I had found a fragrance from Bath and Body Works that has been discontinued called "Indian Vetiver" (to all you vetiver lovers: if you can find this on ebay, I recommend you grab it because you can't beat the price for a good, long-lasting vetiver!), and I realized I loved this exotic grass. Interestingly, Sycomore reminds me of that BBW fragrance, but has MUCH more depth and complexity. When first applied, I get a much darker, woodier smell; however, the dry down is full-blown fresh vetiver...almost identical to the much less expensive "Indian Vetiver." Also, Sycomore has greater longevity than most of Les Exclusifs.

11th January, 2010

reveillee's avatar

Smells great. It's like the medium ground b/w Vetiver Extraordinaire (still the true standard!) and Encre Noire (2nd best true vetiver). However, it has very poor longevity and very poor sillage. Save your money and spend it on the two mentioned above. Sorry to be the downer of the group, but the one is definitely not worth the hype.

21st December, 2009 (Last Edited: 03 March, 2013)

ohhmygod's avatar

I just got this as a sample from a fellow basenoters. I suck at describing fragrances, i just know how to enjoy them

Sycomore is exactly what i like in a vetiver frag. It's vetiver with a creamy background, the vetiver isnt too dominated, but it's definitely there, with a hint of sweetness and woody base, probably due to the sandalwood note. This definitely smells of high quality. First thing came to mind is this is what i should wear to a really formal occasion, with a suit or tuxedo. Not to say this is a formal scent since i can definitely go out on dates wearing Sycomore.

Sycomore is what Vetiver Extraordinaire should have been (sorry Malle & Ropion, i love your VE, but this one just a notch better, may be im a sweet tooth)

It is masculine enough for me to wear (and im really picky I dont wear women's frag), and i think it would be sexy on a lady too.

5 star frag !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11th December, 2009

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Very elegant, very chic vetiver fragrance, but still pure vetiver, almost a "soliflor" but with a touch of classic chypre that turns a little powdery in the drydown. It's the citrusy/green aspect of vetiver, not the rooty/dirty one, but it's not a light cologne - the strength is quite persistent! I wouldn't buy it since there are so many vetiver fragrances out there but this is definitely one of the best.

03 December, 2009

jennster's avatar

Whatever hits me on the top here nearly made me ill. I agree with the reviewer who noted it was a bit harsh. Either the juniper or cypress punched me in the nose. After it dries down a bit I find it to be a nice smoky woods scent. I won't be wearing it as that is not my type but I think I would really enjoy it on a man.

14 September, 2009

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

Flawlessly blended savory vetiver fragrance that is extremely natural smelling with strong feel of class and luxury. It really does smell simple yet very “expensive”.
    Warm, earthy and salt spicy with a dash of smoke. It reminds me of Malle`s Vetiver Extraordinaire, but Sycamore is perhaps a bit more subtle and sharp with smokier feel to it.

Sycamore is a wonderful scent that is also extremely easy to wear; anywhere, anytime. It certainly is not a so called “sexy” fragrance but much more importantly, it is beautiful and able to make its wearer to feel extremely good about everything that’s happening.

This is 100% unisex.

30th July, 2009

rinosaur's avatar

Beautiful smoky woody vetiver. Its a slightly lighter version than Encre Noire. Opening smells a bit harsh but drydown is downright gorgeous. One of the best vetiver loaded scents out there. I actually think its pretty good that its marketed towards females. Most probably wont want to wear it since it is a bit masculine, and 99% of guys wont venture off to the womans side to buy scents. Thats what makes it a rare fragrance. I was however surprised at seeing Sycomore at the mens section of the Chanel boutique.

24 June, 2009

SirSlarty's avatar

I smell s similar vetiver vibe like those from Mugler Cologne, Original Vetiver and Paul Smith Story. It's much closer to Paul Smith Story where it's dirtier, a little dry and kidna smokey. Other than it being a little more concentrated, Paul Smith Story is way cheaper but lacks the dry woodiness of Sycomore. So for the price, you're buying a simple woody vetiver scent.

18 April, 2009

memechose's avatar

One of the best vetiver scents created in the past 20 yrs in my opinion. smoky, rooty, with nuances of citrus and white flowers. I also detect a nutty note that makes this a standout on my skin. This is a fragrance that would be perfect on Marlene Dietrich.It's reminiscent of the genre i call 'le smoking' an exceedingly beautiful women done up in a perfectly cut bespoke tuxedo. Mysterious and slightly aloof.

09 March, 2009

Prospero's avatar

This is predominantly a vetiver scent. Several reviews here are describing it as a chypre, but honestly I don't get that at all. I smell a clean straightforward vetiver that could be compared to Encre Noir (but not as dry and strong) or Givenchy Vetyver (but without any citrus).

Instead of citrus, the main complication I detect is a sweet caramellic note. Perhaps it's actually a floral note (neroli? ylang-ylang?) -- but to me it smells a lot like vetiver overlaid with a bit of maple syrup. I might compare it -- very loosely -- to the slightly sweet woodsy aroma you notice if you let yourself fall into a huge pile of freshly-raked, crunchy maple leaves (or, I suppose, sycomore leaves). But without the accompanying urge to sneeze!

The overall effect is a vetiver that manages to be straightforward, in the modern style, while retaining a soft, warm elegance. It would be very nice on a woman. Since I like my vetivers raw and dry, I still prefer Encre Noir for myself.

28 February, 2009

Nizzle's avatar

Delicious vetiver which is somewhat feminized (when compared side-by-side to Lalique Encre Noire) but perfectly unisex.

28 February, 2009

moltening's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Dry smoky vetiver and dark woods. Good stuff -- the new Sycomore for the exclusifs, not the old one.

A great alternative to Vetiver Extraordinaire, and IMO, the most masculine of the exclusifs.

13 December, 2008

mem33's avatar

I too hope that a girl will forget that I am a guy, and give me an evening of enchantment buy waring a feminine fragrance

05 August, 2008

newgabe's avatar

The first hit of this is dark, heavy, assertive and I love it.. it reminds me of the essential oils I have always preferred to perfumes. I get almost none of the 'floral' notes that people mention... but straight to sandalwood within 30 mins after application. I have started wearing it on my hands at bedtime... a lovely way to go to sleep... I used to put vetiver oil on my baby's pillows as a sedative many years ago.

17 July, 2008

purplebird7's avatar

I was excited to try Sycomore because it is by Jacques Polge who created Bois des Iles, but there is no reference to that former fragrance. Sycomore strikes me as a completely new genre, one of the "environmental" fragrances that transport the wearer to imaginary surroundings. It is ambiance in a bottle, but it reminds me of something I once read on a forum, "People shouldn't smell like this, room should." In fact, not rooms, but the outdoors. I smelled nothing of the florals described by previous reviewers. Sycomore is a vetiver fragrance--and a smokey one at that. It is challenging. It is dry and salty--and peppery. It is decidedly masculine. Do I like it? Not really. I think it is an artistic achievement, but I would not wear it as a perfume. Please pass the gingerbread, instead.

25 June, 2008

Buzzlepuff's avatar

The original Sycomore fragrance was reportedly a reminder for Coco Chanel of the sycomore trees towering over her home garden. Yes, it reminds me of the deep verdant dampness and shadows beneath my own sycomore canopy that covers my front garden.
    When I first smelled Chanel's new Sycomore I was immediately drawn in by its resinous, green incense nature. The opening notes resonate with a smokey woods and green earth - a rooty deep green vetiver. Along with the vetiver there is also a chypre effect that buzzes around the scent from the woody violet and woody vetier. This is clearly a vetiver centered fragrance that has all the positives of the best earthy damp vetivers but also with the warmth and mystery of uplifting smokey incense. Adding to the mix of vetiver and smoke woods is a light floral note - possibly honesuckle for sweetness and a woody violet note. This floral heart reminds me of the green floral of Creed's Chevrefuille, warm sunny and light flowers but still very green. What a magical mix of fragrance elements. Deep green vetiver with smokey light woods and uplifting florals are well blended for a chypre floral chord that resonates above and around the scent of the ingredients. With all these parts it still never loses its vetiver soul.

16 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 17 May, 2008)

JaimeB's avatar

Sycomore is a woody, rooty scent at first. It then develops a smoky impression, which persists on my skin for a fair bit. Then comes the chypre top, neroli and bergamot, and slowly the heart-note florals, three of the usual suspects — rose, jasmine and ylang-ylang — with the less customary honeysuckle. Woody, musky notes in the base have already made an early appearance in that opening woods-and smoke accord, but they persist quietly, with the florals, especially the neroli and honeysuckle-laced heart notes keeping the lead.

For me, this is a shared scent. As a chypre, it hovers in the middle ground between the old feminine and masculine styles. The smoky woods and the slight greenness of the honeysuckle, together with tobacco and cedar in the base help keep it ambiguous within the old scheme.

This is perhaps a bit understated. It doesn't develop a massive sillage on my skin, but it is noticeable if one gets close enough to converse. It's worthy of Polge and Sheldrake, I think.

What's the overall impression? You meet someone who's a little rough around the edges, and in hanging with him, you discover progressively that he's a sweet and tender guy. He's surprisingly capable of a lot of feeling. He's not at all coy, but his innate shyness still reserves a little corner of private mystery.

Top notes: Bergamot, Neroli