Reviews of Incense Extrême by Tauer

Supremely salty and bone dry incense and woods combo – this is where Fate Man picked up his edge, though he’s a far cuddlier character. The aura of Incense Extreme is contrarily soft seeing that the scent itself is quite martial in its directness: these are woods that have been petrified in a salt desert since the start of time, the incense has a high pickled lemon and dried sweat pitch, there’s not a trace of anything sweet when approached up close. Incense Extreme is bright, diffusive, with that surprising softness hovering over something that is essentially razor sharp. A joy in cold weather.
29th January, 2015
White, futuristic, hopeful, pure and serene.

Incense extreme is based on indian Frankincense, which is a resin i'm not familiar with since all we burn here as middle eastern christian orthodox is somali and omani frankincense.

I was eagerly anticipating to try this, especially since Andy mentions that this scent is a pure interpretation of the indian resin itself.

After giving it two full wearings from a sample, I can safely say that this is my favorite incense scent (along with Bois D'encens which is based on somali frankincense).

Incense extreme is so simplistic yet filled with architectural open spaces.

It even inspired me to write and mingle new melodies on my piano.
22nd March, 2014
This is one of those daring scents guys.
I have smelt different fragrances with incense in it but this one is completely different and very unique.
The opening is a brutal combination of sharp herbal, dry woody and strong spicy notes.
It's dark, herbal, extremely spicy that smell more like black pepper. there is no sweet note here. there are no citruses or floral notes.
This may shock you at first sniff!
It's almost acidic and I know this may be funny, but the opening remind me of the smell of ants! I'm not joking!
I used to play with ants a lot when I was a little kid and I can remember formic acid smell because of touching ants in my hands and this fragrance smell really close to that!
If you don't believe me, go and touch a few ants and smell your hand, then go and smell this fragrance.
It's very interesting smell and I like it but at the same time very different.
It's very linear and only gets smoother as time goes by.
Projection is good (not great) and longevity is around 6 hours on my skin.
It's growing on my and with more wearing it via my sample I'm liking it more.
Definitely not a safe blind buy.
06th February, 2014

A rich, but at the same time really clean and simple, romantic, bright, and uplifting scent. Balsamic incense with a contemporary geometrical feel, fairly close to other modern incenses (e.d. the CdG ones). An animalic ambroxan note comes and goes, perfectly interacting with warmer and more aerial notes. Overall a balsamic take on incense, really powerful and long-lasting, with many points in common with other Tauer's. Soothing drydown.

30th January, 2014 (last edited: 12th April, 2014)
Very architectural. The olfactory equivalent to the Guggenheim in Bilbao.
29th April, 2013 (last edited: 09th May, 2013)
After sampling, I don't get it. Smells like medicine, almost, with absolutely no sense of incense.
26th April, 2013
I want to love it, and I tried really hard... I love incense scents in general, but this is a little too hardcore altar boy for me. It smells great when sprayed on, all you get is "Incense! Incense! More incense!!!" and it does not change much, yet becomes drier, almost one-dimensional. This one's got excellent staying power, settling down to a mosquito-repellent whiff the next day.

I tried this in a shop in London, along with L'Air du Desert Marocain", wishing to buy one of them, and choosing "L'Air..." was a no brainer - much more complex yet with an incense note. I got a sample of this and a few other Tauer perfumes (and I am giving a big thumbs up to Les Senteurs for being so generous with samples and generally knowledgeable and non-pushy), so I shall certainly persevere.
25th April, 2013
I like incense and this is for sure a very genuine incense scent. What's extreme about this is its simplicity, rather than its power and projection, which are just about average. Very still, to be perfect this would need that little something to make it a bit more vibrant.

But by all means, a good and easy to wear fragrance.
24th April, 2013
18th January, 2013
This opens bright & zingy with a beautiful accord of petitgrain & coriander. l wish this phase lasted longer, but within ten minutes it gives way to a darker, greener impression of pine & a raw, resinous amber. A slightly burnt incense note comes to the fore shortly after, & from here it stays quite linear, drying down to a woody, ambery, dry incense, & lasting many hours with low-medium projection.
The first time l tried this, l found it a little bit boring after the opening, but on subsequent wearings it has grown on me. l find the incense very soothing on a quiet winter's evening at home, & it lasts for days on my clothes.
23rd November, 2012
If you've ever been inside a Roman Catholic Church on a Holy Day of Obligation then you have smelled this before. It's exactly the smell of a burning Censer being swung around a church. The scent takes me back to St. James Church in Elkins Park Pennsylvania, circa 1981... the last year I believed in god.
06th October, 2012
No doubts, one of my favorite incense and a real churchy frankincense i crave for. The juice is long lasting and the incense oil is concentrated despite the scent  turns out never heavy but finally light and smooth. The petitgrain at the beginning is standout and magistrally mixed with aromatic spices,  woodsy notes, smoke and with the coming up frankincense in an almost agreeable way (pungent, spicy and fruity). The frankincense is averagely dry but some resinous woodsy notes and the concentration of incense oil imprint a certain  density to the olfactory outcome. Some arcane green (resinous and aromatic) elements swirl indeed longly around on the side of a dark woodiness and (i suppose) secret fruits. The cedary frankincense is barely ambery with a sort of final virile, almost corporeal woody-ambery (soapy) background that turns the fragrance out not at all gothic, "irony" or straightforward but (because of soothing amber and woods) comforting, warm, sensual, barely powdery and almost urban. You will be enveloped in a sort of timeless, relaxing, well rounded and velvety aura arousing the senses higher and higher.
05th September, 2012
A peppery, inky, soapy incense, Incense Extreme does it's job, but I can't help but feel a little wanting....
04th September, 2012

Quartz Show all reviews
Tried a sample of it this morning. Reminds me of a cold, dark,damp, musty unfinished basement- like wet stone or concrete. I don't notice any incense , at least in the Avignon/Cardinal/Montale sense. Definitely a different scent but I would not purchase.
24th August, 2012
To my untrained nose, this smells like Andy Tauer's LDDM. I therefore give it a thumbs down and recommend L'air Du Desert Marocain instead. This fragrance is redundant in my opinion due to the other fragrance, which does the same thing and better.
14th November, 2011
chet31 Show all reviews
I did not like this at first. However, the more I tried it the more I liked it. Also, the more it dries down, the more the pure incense note comes through, and the more I like it. However, early on, there is a "green" note that interferes with the incense note, that I don't care for. This may have been why my initial reaction was negative. Wear this a few times, and let it dry down, before making a judgment.
01st July, 2011
Should be called Frankincense Extreme. Hard to find anything else going on here but the Frankincense working hard. Boring as dish water but good materials were used. CDG does incense so much better and cheaper. Get 2 Man rather than this.
16th June, 2011
If Andy Tauer's signature notes (at least in his early perfumes) are coriander and amber, his style can be said to orbit the quality of dryness, of 'dessert air'. Incense Extrême is the starkest and most arid of Andy Tauer's perfumes and is an important contribution to a seam first tapped by Guerlain's now nearing-extinction Djedi.

The scent opens with lashings, and lashes, of frankincense, and a substantial cedar accompaniment. There is a faint spiciness that smells like coriander seeds in a pan on the gas ring, having moved through 'fragrant' to 'smouldering' and now approaching 'charred'. I have trouble detecting the orris mentioned in Tauer's pyramid, but do pick up an increasingly prominent, though nonetheless subdued, ambery sweetness.

For purposes of comparison, I'd skip the Incense Series from CdG, which are overall thinner and less convincing than Tauer's scent, and instead look to the (admittedly much quieter) Armani Privé Bois d'Encens, or go back to the beginning, with Diptyque's L’Eau Trois. In structure, I'd suggest a sideways glance at Oud 27 from Le Labo: both Incense Extrême and Oud 27 have pungent beginnings and both then
compose themselves into far more nuzzling, cedar-based drydowns within an hour or two.

For the meddlers out there, Incense Extrême begs to be layered intelligently; I'd go with a zesty cologne with lots of natural oils and not too many pretensions.
13th May, 2011
Cold, metallic incense. Like razor blades dipped in resin. After an hour or two Incense Extreme loses the metallic vibe and gradually gets muskier, creamier. Overall this fragrance is weird, unfriendly, and slightly repulsive.
12th April, 2011
This is all about Frankincense. If you are not a big fan then stay away. My girlfriend described it as a Fragrance for someone who likes the way they smell and wants to be left alone. It's purifying and elevating but a little stark to be welcoming. Very natural and resinous. I like it but prefer the Amber note in Tauer's L'Air.
25th March, 2011
Perfumes form people that really knows how to make them! Incense Extreme is an extremely solid composition. Modern, consistent and elegant but at the same time descreet (expecially during the drydown). One of the most minimal incense creations yet among the most versatile. If you ever thought that Avignon was one of the most realistic "churchy" incenses, then try this one. The opening is breathtaking with a blast of pungent frankincense and petit grain surrounded by a remarkable woody vibe. Dry, almost harsh (cedar), but magistrally orchestrated to result incredibly likeable. Green undertones paired off with coniferous hints add depth and charme.The drydown it's somehow "lighter", comfortable and close to the skin and it's when the Tauer's signature becomes unmistakeable. I still found Avignon to be much more original and emotional but Tauer's take on straight forward frankincense is surely a winner. Recommended.
06th March, 2011 (last edited: 16th January, 2012)
Incense Extreme is a simple fragrance. It's an extract of Somalian incense taken from Boswellia trees. Although there's ambergris and some wood notes to round the scent, it's still very much just an extract of incense.

What makes Incense Extreme standout, apart from other incense based fragrances, is that it's built on a natural, quality incense note. Very desert dry, with a smokey depthness, yet clear at the same time. I find it less synthetic than what you'll find in the Comme des Garcons Incense Series. And although a clear smelling fragrance, it's the type of scent that lingers on your skin and clothes for days. This is mainly due to its 25-30% perfume oil concentration.

Incense Extreme almost reminds me of that effect you get, when you pour cold water over the hot stones in a sauna. Although a difficult scent to wear, I enjoy Incense Extreme if I'm in need of something calming when I'm doing yoga or meditating.

06th February, 2011 (last edited: 07th February, 2011)
Suffocating! The first incense fragrance I tested along with Norma Kamali. I burn high quality incense, from around the world, in my home daily. I really wanted to like this, but found it's opening, sillage, and drydown all overwhelming to the point of nausea. I must admit, I did like the next day smoldering effect that was still present on my skin. I've tried Andy Tauer's whole line and haven't liked one. This is unfortunate, as I have the utmost respect for Tauer and acknowledge his importance in the field of niche perfumery.
03rd October, 2010
A sensuous essay on the smoky seductiveness of frankincense, Incense Extrême evokes ancient history and long-forgotten Biblical landscapes. High quality stuff, and one of the jewels of the Tauer line.
26th September, 2010 (last edited: 07th October, 2010)
I find the journey that this fragrance takes from opening to drydown and beyond to be really interesting. On the first spritz I had a kind of indifferent "hmmm" reaction. Frankincense, which I do love and definately something else that I don't know or can't identify, which I now believe may have petitgrain.
Then, another and another sniff and I was captivated. To me it is as if this fragrance wears its opening like a good winter overcoat. It arrives with a blast, cold and austere. Then it takes the coat off and my oh my, it reveals a beautiful elegant personality underneath. Along the way it passes through a stage which, to me, is very similar indeed to the Iris and Cedar of L'Artisan Parfumeur's Dzongkha albeit with less smoke. Then it settles into its own, a calm gentle dry Iris/Cedar/Frankincense. I was about to say old fashioned but I think timeless is probably better.
I see that others identify ambergris. I am not so skilled unfortunately but is it that which gives it its presence and transparency?
Incense Extreme shares something with L'Air. It has the same weight or weightlessness, the same timbre. Like L'Air it lasts and lasts on the skin and continues to give the wearer pleasure. I find it very calming.
For anyone who likes L'Air, or Dzongkha, give this a try and I hope that you enjoy the journey as much as I do.
30th April, 2010 (last edited: 19th January, 2012)
Smells exactly like old Turmeric powder. You know, that pot of yellow dust at the back of your kitchen cupboard, the one you bought 5 years ago for a recipe which required a teaspoonful of the stuff and you haven't used it since. Just go into your kitchen and open it and have a sniff. You'll see what I mean.
02nd December, 2009
Here's what the creator, Andy Tauer says about this fragrance:
"I wanted to create an incense that is intense and clear.
A minimalist, cubist interpretation of incense, a touch of spices, powdery orris, dry cedar wood and ambergris supporting the frankincense that is rich, crisp, red and intense."

He did it. Though I swear that when I spritzed, the first note that hit me was a really true and pure lavender. (I do love that classic lavender/incense combo. It just works somehow.) Anyway, that disappeared after ten minutes and now it's wearing in, the pure, clear incense is the whole thing. Beautiful.

I'm quite picky about my incense and this is superb. There's no rasp to it (my beef with Black Cashmere) and it's not too dry and ashy. But equally, there's no sweetness to it and no flowers. This is completely unisex. I like the comparison with CDG Avignon, though I haven't worn it in a while.

It's obviously related to L'Air du Desert Marocain, but it is slightly different. As if the melody was played with a key change. This is a little bit quieter, I think. (I also haven't worn L'Air for a while.) It is certainly beautiful and very mellow and I think enormously wearable. I may need a bottle.
20th November, 2009
This starts with a large whack of top quality frankincense; effervescent, menthol-like, penetrating, rich and sparkling. This is follwed by a very natural smelling cedarwood. The little iris then provides a link to blend seamlessly into the base of ambroxin which is a little sweet and a perfect balance to the fire-dry incense.

An exceptionally well made fragrance from very good ingredients, totally free from irritating synthy woody-amber accords. Simple and effective - just how I like them. Diffusiveness is perfect, longevity satisfactory with a good application. Highly recommended.
29th June, 2009
I'm surprised by the overall negative reviews on this one. I've had more compliments on this perfume than any other (Maybe except L'Air).
Smokey dry incense/tauer-ade accord, which is fairly linear. It lasts all day on me.
Like many of Andy's perfume, this blossoms in summer.
Big thumbs up!!
27th June, 2009

I get a sort of campfire accord in the opening, but there’s a spicy ambiance that takes the fragrance out of the realm of forest habitation. I enjoy the incense note, and I enjoy the whole opening accord, but I am left wondering why it is so forgettable. The incense of the accord is not one that comes across as particularly ethereal or even churchy, and, while I can admire its discretion, I wonder at its lack of both intrigue and energy. The extremely dry incense that is used might be admirable in an experimental sense, but it just doesn’t seem to work – at least not on my skin.

The cedar comes in later but it also doesn’t accomplish anything on my skin; in fact, both the opening and the heart accords seem to begin deteriorating immediately after they appear. I can’t find the orris in the mixture nor does the ambergris take a substantial role, and in the end, the drydown turns stale and smells a bit of oily residue. Incense Extrême doesn’t respond well on my skin.

16th March, 2009