Reviews of Myrrhe Ardente by Annick Goutal

Find out more about Myrrhe Ardente by Annick Goutal in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Zut's avatar
    Zut

Top: Myrrh, tonka beans, benzoin
    Heart: Guaiac wood, myrrh, vetiver
    Base: Beeswax

In the official Annick Goutal website, Myrrhe ardente is described as follows:

"A heady emanation composed of benzoin, vanilla tonka pods, almost balmy and devilishly addictive; essence of gaiac wood, soft and voluptuous; and enveloping and honeyed pure beeswax extract."

This fragrance may seem candyish to some but it is rather dry actually. Myrrh is quite a bitter resin. The benzoin contained in Myrrhe ardente balances and softens the drier and smokier myrrh, vetiver and guaiac wood notes. In the old days, when fumigation was a current therapy, myrrh was very often mixed with benzoin because the fumes of myrrh alone were too unpleasant. The myrrh/benzoin combination works very well in Myrrhe ardente. The tonka beans and honey/beeswax notes slightly sweeten the composition as well without turning it into a cloying gourmand fragrance.

On me, Myrrhe ardente has a weird rubbery smell until the dry-down begins. Then, this odd whiff turns into an intoxicating, slightly smoky, sassafras-like note (I perfectly understand the "root-beer" reference mentioned by fellow reviewers). One of the great characteristics of this unique fragrance is its unbelievable longevity (well over 8 hours, in my personal case). Myrrhe ardente may not be for everyone but it most certainly makes a statement. Two and a half thumbs up!

26 July, 2012

blood-orange's avatar
    blood-orange

What people find difficult to like, I usually enjoy, and vice-versa. Myrrhe Ardente, and the whole Les Orientalistes series in general, are extremely well-constructed, beautiful fragrances.

I love rich, bold, resinous and smokey scents, so this fragrance is 'right up my alley'. Exotic is indeed what this fragrance is.

If you love fragrances like Oud 27 by Le Labo, Chanel Coromandel, Tauer's perfumes and anything woodsy and masculine, Myrrhe Ardente could possibly suit you.

Opening rather strongly, Myrrhe Ardente is a combination of dark woods, spicy incense and syrupy honey. I also get the reference being made in a few reviews to that slight booziness, a rum-like note that appears briefly in the heart.

Due to this fragrance's subtle sweetness, I find myself desiring this fragrance quite often. It would make a perfect scent for a couple to share, depending upon the fact that his taste is similar to your own.

While this fragrance is rough and foreign, it is incredibly sexy and alluring at the same time. Once the drydown has developed, I am often left in a peaceful state, shrouded in a smokey and sweet aroma, a little chocolatey and vanillary in certain moments.

The price is a little disheartening, seeming that is nearly twice the price of other Annick Goutal fragrances. However, for this particular beauty I would shell out every, single penny to own even a drop of its exquisite juice.

01st March, 2012

Oproust's avatar
    Oproust

I can't get past the root beer accord of Myrrhe Ardente. I confess, I'm a Coke Classic kind of guy, but I do enjoy a nice cold A & W once in a while. I was surprised to find the root beer descriptions of other reviewers to be more than just tongue in cheek pokes at MA. Myrrhe Ardente is smokey, resinous, spicy and yes, oriental. But in the end, there is not enough development. I grow tired of MA. I'm waiting for more but I just end up with a nose full of root beer bubbles. I'll give this one a neutral. Not bad, but it doesn't hold my interest.

23 December, 2011 (Last Edited: 24 December, 2011)

alfarom's avatar
    alfarom

I'm surely not among the most keen fans of Goutal's Les Orientalists and, while Myrrhe Ardente is not exactly unpleasant, it still can't be considered as a myrrh centered fragrance. Basically is all about woods and amber. If you expect the pungent-aromatic smell of this liturgical resin you have to wait for the drydown where myrrh bashfully makes its appearance or, maybe, directly jump to Luten's Le Myrrh.

23 September, 2011

Orgoglio italianO's avatar
    Orgoglio italianO

A+++

A favorite...

I love this! Kind of a smokey sweet Myrrhe thing goin' on.

14 May, 2011

Silleur's avatar
    Silleur

It is the perfect way that I've sought to round-out Encre Noire.

02 March, 2010

scentsitivity's avatar
    scentsitivity

In the opening I get two discordant themes: bitter myrrh and sweetneess. They clash, don’t seem well-blended and I don't like the fragrance at this stage. However, the situation improves with the drydown as the sweetness mellows. The myrrh remains and now they feel like one accord. At this point I find it to be wearable, but it is a bit monotonous. A neutral rating from me.

17 January, 2010

Caltha's avatar
    Caltha
    Sweden Sweden

I'm no fan of myrrh. Candy-sweet with an oddly bitter edge and a powdery touch, it's the very essence of "perfumey". As far as myrrh fragrances go, I'm sure this one is perfectly fine so I'm giving it a neutral rating.

22 December, 2009

Scentzilla's avatar
    Scentzilla

Delicious - I am a female and every time I wear Myrrhe Ardente people ask "what is that smell??" with great interest. I layer with a small shot of Guerlain l'Instant, which is really a linear base tonka/vanilla anyway, and enhances the vanilla of the Ardente. This would smell luscious on a man, too. Not sweet, not candish even though there is a hint of the rootbeer lemony natural scent of the myrrhe. One thing I have noticed that is similar to Matin is the ozonic thing which I despise in Matin, but is used discreetly here and accents the candle flame/incense element. I have the body creme (a creamy vanilla tonka shot), the shower gel (also sweeter), the EDT and the EDP. The EDP is certainly more lasting which is a Goutal issue but the EDT lasts a good long time for me in this fragrance. Sillage is not bad - a skin scent that melts into the body but when I waft past people at work they definitely experience it. Something akin to being a walking incense burner. As a Guerlain fan, the tonka in Myrrhe Ardente is badass. Same kind of Guerlinade experience with a pure straight kick of myrrhe resin. Better buy it up, because the formula has changed due to European restrictions. I've been buying all I can of the EDP which is at discounters in the US. One of my top ten fragrances, and top AG besides Neroli.

18 November, 2009

Diamondflame's avatar
    Diamondflame
    Singapore Singapore

I can see where the 'root beer' comparisons come from though calling it 'sweet' is missing the mark by a mile. Dry and resinuous from start to finish, somewhat linear with no distracting accords along the way. MYRRHE ARDENTE is probably an ardent fan's interpretation of myrrh, very discreet yet mysteriously intoxicating. But it may take some getting used to for it is niche in every sense of the word, wears close to the skin and seems to be made more for the private enjoyment of the wearer and that lucky lady in his arms.

04 November, 2009

foetidus

It took a while to let the beauty of this fragrance enter into my way of thinking… The myrrh in Myrrhe Ardente’s opening is smooth and refined – it’s not a raw, visceral myrrh smelled directly, it’s a atmospheric myrrh – one that suggests the miscellaneous use of myrrh in the environment, not the close-up personal, intentional use of the “bitter perfume.” Although thoroughly a myrrh fragrance, the gaïac wood and beeswax of the heart notes come through well… I don’t get any vetiver. The myrrh of the base gets more resinous and stays resinous because the benzoin and tonka present their sweetness lightly and discreetly. But still even this “resinous” version of myrrh remains tame. This is an absolutely beautiful fragrance and a must buy for me. It is discreet and mysterious and elemental. I love what is not there… its lack of florals and its lack of sweetness and even its lack of the more visceral (I usually love visceral) aspects of this ancient perfume of mankind. This is a “background” scent that gives me a perfect level of performance just as it is.

31st October, 2009

Balvon's avatar
    Balvon
    Lithuania Lithuania

Good fragrance. Nor for my. A nice scent and a must for incense lovers.

23 October, 2009

gandrasta's avatar
    gandrasta
    Indonesia Indonesia

Myrrh juice to the max. It has the quality of astringent or cough syrup, but unlike most of AG fragrances, Myrrhe Ardente albeit stays longer ;)

Myrrhe Ardente in adj:
    Level 1: liquor
    Level 2: jerusalem
    Level 3: healing juice

07 September, 2009

Oaksbluff's avatar
    Oaksbluff

I know that comparing one scent to another can raise complications, especially since you've obviously come here not knowing one... maybe never smelled the other?

With that in mind, I steer myself directly to that definition by comparison. Myrrhe Ardente = Armani Prive Ambre Soie. Were you one of the fortunate to score a refill bottle of the latter on the cheap? Good. Save the money from a potential Myrrhe Ardente purchase and buy something else.

Admittedly, the Goutal ramps up an aldehydic opening... fashioning a simulacrum of increased resinous. For all the world, though, it just makes it more Root Beer-y. Unlike on others, it lasts A LONG TIME on me, several hours, and for all of that time rather linear-- not a bad thing. Sometimes you don't want your scent shape-shifting.

This glib review might make it sound as though I dislike MA. Not the case. There's a call for it in the completist's wardrobe.

Overall, I'll give it a thumb's up, as I'm rather in a good mood this morning, and also as I bought my bottle on the cheap. It doesn't suck, it just doesn't really wow me. Call me high-maintenance, but if I were to shell out big dollar on a bottle of perfume, I kinda want to be wowed. Isn't that what the beauty industry should provide for us?

07 September, 2009

julesinrose's avatar
    julesinrose

That medicinal smell reminds me strongly of pine tar, "Grandpa's Pine Tar soap" to be precise. I love the soap, but most do not. As for the Myrrhe Ardente, I've come to love it, too. I would love to smell it on a man; how intoxicating and million times better than the typical "male" scents.

Yes, it's a linear scent, but it is quite interesting, with not a touch of sweetness in it anywhere to my nose, and I adore it for that.

13 July, 2009

Apicius's avatar
    Apicius
    Germany Germany

A true niche fragrance, somewhat eccentric, definetely non-standard, non-floral, dry and also vanillic due to the use of tonka bean.

There is an amount of bitterness and darkness in it that is irritating or even appalling. One cannot expect to love it on first sniff!

It is definetely not a gourmand scent, yet it gives me the impression of very dark cocoa, still ardent(e) from being freshly roasted.

Annick Goutal encourage their customers to experiment with layering their fragrances. Since Myrrhe Ardente is very distinct and also IMO does not development much during the drydown, I think it could be a good basis for such experiments. I suppose it layers quite well with some aquatic or green scents just to give it a counterpoint. Maybe Aventure by Il Profumo or a fig scent such as Philosykos or even Annick Goutal's Vetiver? Let's see...

Ingredients listed on Annick Goutal's Website:

Myrrh essence, tonka bean and benzoin, myrrh resin, guaiacum wood and vetiver, absolute essence of beeswax.

01st February, 2009

vintage*red's avatar
    vintage*red

My search for a straightforward incense fragrance is over! After experiencing the wonderful incense drydown of PDN "Sacrebleu", I wanted more. Myrrhe Ardente is beautiful & elegant with a vanilla syrup start and a smokey myrrh finish. Having burned actual myrrh resin at Christmastime, I can tell you that Annick Goutal has captured that essence in a bottle. No flowers here to distract; No sugar to appease. This fragrance wears close to the skin... a soft vale of a perfume. And if a man wore this, I'd follow him anywhere!

01st February, 2009

Aiona's avatar
    Aiona

What a strange smell. It smells like. . . Salonpas! Kind of licorice-y. Only at first. Then the incense comes through a little bit. The drydown is mostly amber of some sort. I like it. But it's kind of got a weird medicinal opening.

22 November, 2008

scensation's avatar
    scensation

Sweet root beer in a bottle. Not at all complicated.

07 September, 2008