Reviews of Myrrhe Ardente by Annick Goutal

Find out more about Myrrhe Ardente by Annick Goutal in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

rbaker's avatar

A nice but restrained myrrh in the opening mixed with a benzoin note that underpins the initial phase if this scent. Later a pleasant gaiac evolves that nerges into the base note if a very well made beeswax, with a gentle and natural vanilla adding a touch of sweetness that is neither too strong nor in any way cloying. This good balance is probably aided by a whiff of vetiver freshness. A pleasant, elegant and well-blended composition that is spite of the comparable low number of constituent notes develops sufficiently to be interesting whilst being well structured. An unobtrusive incense fragrance and a good office scent for winter days. Performance is excellent with moderate sillage, adequate projection and a phantastic longevity of eleven hours on my skin.

09th September, 2014

Bal a Versailles's avatar

I spent most of my childhood wondering what root beer or sarsparilla would taste like. Without it being a reference base I can appreciate the beauty of Myrrhe Ardente for what it is. Hickory stick for one. English toffee is another. Fifty five years ago My Father awaited his Xmas parcels from London. We got British smarties (essentially M&Ms) and he got a burnt toffee from post war Britian. Then there's Kauri gum, or beach amber which has this delicate resin smell. I collect beach amber on my walks and Myrrhe Ardente is like wearing a whiff of it. The gum is, after all, the resin from giant trees burnt down 2,500 years ago, Agathis Australis.

It's gorgeous, unisex, wondrous and addictive, as someone else pointed out.

Discontinued, so I will probably buy a small back up

25th July, 2014

Stargazer's avatar

Wales Wales

I had to get some of this, having read such a range of reviews. It's amazing - layers of changing notes that, as another reviewer has noted, vary each time you spray. I can smell liquorice, tomato leaf, mint, resin, and honey at first, then they all join hands to leave a smokey, smokey incense, cool and spicy at the same time. Love it.

23rd May, 2014

Zut's avatar

Top: Myrrh, tonka beans, benzoin
    Heart: Guaiac wood, myrrh, vetiver
    Base: Beeswax

In the official Annick Goutal website, Myrrhe ardente is described as follows:

"A heady emanation composed of benzoin, vanilla tonka pods, almost balmy and devilishly addictive; essence of gaiac wood, soft and voluptuous; and enveloping and honeyed pure beeswax extract."

This fragrance may seem candyish to some but it is rather dry actually. Myrrh is quite a bitter resin. The benzoin contained in Myrrhe ardente balances and softens the drier and smokier myrrh, vetiver and guaiac wood notes. In the old days, when fumigation was a current therapy, myrrh was very often mixed with benzoin because the fumes of myrrh alone were too unpleasant. The myrrh/benzoin combination works very well in Myrrhe ardente. The tonka beans and honey/beeswax notes slightly sweeten the composition as well without turning it into a cloying gourmand fragrance.

On me, Myrrhe ardente has a weird rubbery smell until the dry-down begins. Then, this odd whiff turns into an intoxicating, slightly smoky, sassafras-like note (I perfectly understand the "root-beer" reference mentioned by fellow reviewers). One of the great characteristics of this unique fragrance is its unbelievable longevity (well over 8 hours, in my personal case). Myrrhe ardente may not be for everyone but it most certainly makes a statement. Two and a half thumbs up!

26th July, 2012

blood-orange's avatar

What people find difficult to like, I usually enjoy, and vice-versa. Myrrhe Ardente, and the whole Les Orientalistes series in general, are extremely well-constructed, beautiful fragrances.

I love rich, bold, resinous and smokey scents, so this fragrance is 'right up my alley'. Exotic is indeed what this fragrance is.

If you love fragrances like Oud 27 by Le Labo, Chanel Coromandel, Tauer's perfumes and anything woodsy and masculine, Myrrhe Ardente could possibly suit you.

Opening rather strongly, Myrrhe Ardente is a combination of dark woods, spicy incense and syrupy honey. I also get the reference being made in a few reviews to that slight booziness, a rum-like note that appears briefly in the heart.

Due to this fragrance's subtle sweetness, I find myself desiring this fragrance quite often. It would make a perfect scent for a couple to share, depending upon the fact that his taste is similar to your own.

While this fragrance is rough and foreign, it is incredibly sexy and alluring at the same time. Once the drydown has developed, I am often left in a peaceful state, shrouded in a smokey and sweet aroma, a little chocolatey and vanillary in certain moments.

The price is a little disheartening, seeming that is nearly twice the price of other Annick Goutal fragrances. However, for this particular beauty I would shell out every, single penny to own even a drop of its exquisite juice.

01st March, 2012

Oproust's avatar

I can't get past the root beer accord of Myrrhe Ardente. I confess, I'm a Coke Classic kind of guy, but I do enjoy a nice cold A & W once in a while. I was surprised to find the root beer descriptions of other reviewers to be more than just tongue in cheek pokes at MA. Myrrhe Ardente is smokey, resinous, spicy and yes, oriental. But in the end, there is not enough development. I grow tired of MA. I'm waiting for more but I just end up with a nose full of root beer bubbles. I'll give this one a neutral. Not bad, but it doesn't hold my interest.

23rd December, 2011 (Last Edited: 24th December, 2011)

alfarom's avatar

I'm surely not among the most keen fans of Goutal's Les Orientalists and, while Myrrhe Ardente is not exactly unpleasant, it still can't be considered as a myrrh centered fragrance. Basically is all about woods and amber. If you expect the pungent-aromatic smell of this liturgical resin you have to wait for the drydown where myrrh bashfully makes its appearance or, maybe, directly jump to Luten's Le Myrrh.

23rd September, 2011

Orgoglio italianO's avatar

A+++

A favorite...

I love this! Kind of a smokey sweet Myrrhe thing goin' on.

14th May, 2011

Silleur's avatar

It is the perfect way that I've sought to round-out Encre Noire.

02nd March, 2010

scentsitivity's avatar

In the opening I get two discordant themes: bitter myrrh and sweetneess. They clash, don’t seem well-blended and I don't like the fragrance at this stage. However, the situation improves with the drydown as the sweetness mellows. The myrrh remains and now they feel like one accord. At this point I find it to be wearable, but it is a bit monotonous. A neutral rating from me.

17th January, 2010

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

I'm no fan of myrrh. Candy-sweet with an oddly bitter edge and a powdery touch, it's the very essence of "perfumey". As far as myrrh fragrances go, I'm sure this one is perfectly fine so I'm giving it a neutral rating.

22nd December, 2009

Scentzilla's avatar

Delicious - I am a female and every time I wear Myrrhe Ardente people ask "what is that smell??" with great interest. I layer with a small shot of Guerlain l'Instant, which is really a linear base tonka/vanilla anyway, and enhances the vanilla of the Ardente. This would smell luscious on a man, too. Not sweet, not candish even though there is a hint of the rootbeer lemony natural scent of the myrrhe. One thing I have noticed that is similar to Matin is the ozonic thing which I despise in Matin, but is used discreetly here and accents the candle flame/incense element. I have the body creme (a creamy vanilla tonka shot), the shower gel (also sweeter), the EDT and the EDP. The EDP is certainly more lasting which is a Goutal issue but the EDT lasts a good long time for me in this fragrance. Sillage is not bad - a skin scent that melts into the body but when I waft past people at work they definitely experience it. Something akin to being a walking incense burner. As a Guerlain fan, the tonka in Myrrhe Ardente is badass. Same kind of Guerlinade experience with a pure straight kick of myrrhe resin. Better buy it up, because the formula has changed due to European restrictions. I've been buying all I can of the EDP which is at discounters in the US. One of my top ten fragrances, and top AG besides Neroli.

18th November, 2009

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

I can see where the 'root beer' comparisons come from though calling it 'sweet' is missing the mark by a mile. Dry and resinuous from start to finish, somewhat linear with no distracting accords along the way. MYRRHE ARDENTE is probably an ardent fan's interpretation of myrrh, very discreet yet mysteriously intoxicating. But it may take some getting used to for it is niche in every sense of the word, wears close to the skin and seems to be made more for the private enjoyment of the wearer and that lucky lady in his arms.

04th November, 2009

It took a while to let the beauty of this fragrance enter into my way of thinking… The myrrh in Myrrhe Ardente’s opening is smooth and refined – it’s not a raw, visceral myrrh smelled directly, it’s a atmospheric myrrh – one that suggests the miscellaneous use of myrrh in the environment, not the close-up personal, intentional use of the “bitter perfume.” Although thoroughly a myrrh fragrance, the gaïac wood and beeswax of the heart notes come through well… I don’t get any vetiver. The myrrh of the base gets more resinous and stays resinous because the benzoin and tonka present their sweetness lightly and discreetly. But still even this “resinous” version of myrrh remains tame. This is an absolutely beautiful fragrance and a must buy for me. It is discreet and mysterious and elemental. I love what is not there… its lack of florals and its lack of sweetness and even its lack of the more visceral (I usually love visceral) aspects of this ancient perfume of mankind. This is a “background” scent that gives me a perfect level of performance just as it is.

31st October, 2009

Balvon's avatar

Lithuania Lithuania

Good fragrance. Nor for my. A nice scent and a must for incense lovers.

23rd October, 2009

gandrasta's avatar

Indonesia Indonesia

Myrrh juice to the max. It has the quality of astringent or cough syrup, but unlike most of AG fragrances, Myrrhe Ardente albeit stays longer ;)

Myrrhe Ardente in adj:
    Level 1: liquor
    Level 2: jerusalem
    Level 3: healing juice

07th September, 2009

Oaksbluff's avatar

I know that comparing one scent to another can raise complications, especially since you've obviously come here not knowing one... maybe never smelled the other?

With that in mind, I steer myself directly to that definition by comparison. Myrrhe Ardente = Armani Prive Ambre Soie. Were you one of the fortunate to score a refill bottle of the latter on the cheap? Good. Save the money from a potential Myrrhe Ardente purchase and buy something else.

Admittedly, the Goutal ramps up an aldehydic opening... fashioning a simulacrum of increased resinous. For all the world, though, it just makes it more Root Beer-y. Unlike on others, it lasts A LONG TIME on me, several hours, and for all of that time rather linear-- not a bad thing. Sometimes you don't want your scent shape-shifting.

This glib review might make it sound as though I dislike MA. Not the case. There's a call for it in the completist's wardrobe.

Overall, I'll give it a thumb's up, as I'm rather in a good mood this morning, and also as I bought my bottle on the cheap. It doesn't suck, it just doesn't really wow me. Call me high-maintenance, but if I were to shell out big dollar on a bottle of perfume, I kinda want to be wowed. Isn't that what the beauty industry should provide for us?

07th September, 2009

julesinrose's avatar

That medicinal smell reminds me strongly of pine tar, "Grandpa's Pine Tar soap" to be precise. I love the soap, but most do not. As for the Myrrhe Ardente, I've come to love it, too. I would love to smell it on a man; how intoxicating and million times better than the typical "male" scents.

Yes, it's a linear scent, but it is quite interesting, with not a touch of sweetness in it anywhere to my nose, and I adore it for that.

13th July, 2009

Apicius's avatar

Germany Germany

A true niche fragrance, somewhat eccentric, definetely non-standard, non-floral, dry and also vanillic due to the use of tonka bean.

There is an amount of bitterness and darkness in it that is irritating or even appalling. One cannot expect to love it on first sniff!

It is definetely not a gourmand scent, yet it gives me the impression of very dark cocoa, still ardent(e) from being freshly roasted.

Annick Goutal encourage their customers to experiment with layering their fragrances. Since Myrrhe Ardente is very distinct and also IMO does not development much during the drydown, I think it could be a good basis for such experiments. I suppose it layers quite well with some aquatic or green scents just to give it a counterpoint. Maybe Aventure by Il Profumo or a fig scent such as Philosykos or even Annick Goutal's Vetiver? Let's see...

Ingredients listed on Annick Goutal's Website:

Myrrh essence, tonka bean and benzoin, myrrh resin, guaiacum wood and vetiver, absolute essence of beeswax.

01st February, 2009

vintage*red's avatar

My search for a straightforward incense fragrance is over! After experiencing the wonderful incense drydown of PDN "Sacrebleu", I wanted more. Myrrhe Ardente is beautiful & elegant with a vanilla syrup start and a smokey myrrh finish. Having burned actual myrrh resin at Christmastime, I can tell you that Annick Goutal has captured that essence in a bottle. No flowers here to distract; No sugar to appease. This fragrance wears close to the skin... a soft vale of a perfume. And if a man wore this, I'd follow him anywhere!

01st February, 2009

Aiona's avatar

What a strange smell. It smells like. . . Salonpas! Kind of licorice-y. Only at first. Then the incense comes through a little bit. The drydown is mostly amber of some sort. I like it. But it's kind of got a weird medicinal opening.

22nd November, 2008

scensation's avatar

Sweet root beer in a bottle. Not at all complicated.

07th September, 2008