Reviews

Neutral Reviews of China White by Nasomatto

Radiant, dusty, irony and post modern. One of the strangest fragrances out there, a new modern, quite chemical and "new age"  powdery cloud of aldehydes (may be), white musk, synthetic pharmaceutical talc, powdery sandalwood, sharp florals, herbs, spices (pepper?), detergent  kind resins and incense. I catch the cold touch of the violets (the fragrance at least smells like that) and the woods. The chemical tone is probably produced by the combination of grassy and aromatic resins, spices, synthetic powder, incense, musk, may be some anise or angelica and metallic violets. I think some rooty vetiver, together with spices (ambergris?), produce out there a really masculine temperament. Turning on and narcotic. Unique beast.
28th February, 2012
For me this is too floral and too feminine to give a thumb up, so - neutral. But very pleasant neutral
14th June, 2010
Kaern Show all reviews
Sort of floral woody and smoky -- China White is really lovely, but there was something nagging about it and it took me a time to identify that it is very similar to Corso di Como (go compare),so a neutral only.

Had the brand new 'Black Afghan' from Nasomatto shoved under my nose -- this is something else -- deep, dense, dark, eastern -- a must buy later.
21st July, 2009

It reminds me quite a lot of my favourite from this line - Absinth - it has the same characteristic green/herbal/aromatic bitterness. China White doesn't have the spicy/woody warmth of Absinth though, it's a much cooler scent. Drier too, dusty dry the way cedar scents can sometimes be, though not particularly woody. Ashen, yes. It's sort of annoying and addictive all at once. I don't get any of the flowers others are mentioning, but I suppose violet (leaf) or iris (root) may contribute to its cold, and there's also a hint of a sickly-sweet note that reminds me of candy rather than flowers. I think there's vetiver root in there adding to the green sharpness, but it might be some other bitter herb as well. Could be good old oakmoss. China White is like a mix between some old-fashioned leathery chypre (Bandit, say) and some hyper-modern, metallic, synthetic, cold, sharp CdG creation. Oh, and it also reminds me of an über-masculine, dry, loud, woody/herbal concoction like Yatagan.
10th December, 2008
Billed as a powdery floral, I will agree that it is so, with a difference—China White has a dusty, dry, green powder over sweet, fruity florals. The combination is both jarring and interesting. While the powder is tart and salty, the florals are as sweet as caramel. This powdery chemical is close to providing a leather scent. All in all, it is odd and fascinating.
15th October, 2008