Neutral Reviews of Five O'Clock Au Gingembre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Find out more about Five O'Clock Au Gingembre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

rbaker's avatar

Ginger galore

Ginger, cinnamon and tea - a very nice opening with limited development on my skin. A touch of honey later on, but on my skin a light and bright affair. Still, overall nice. It lasts two hours on me.

02 July, 2013

Minkymaid's avatar

England England

Perhaps I'm not an orientals person. I loved the reviews , the lists of notes, and I do like the scent of ginger. So I was disappointed that I couldn't discern the ginger at all. Was it actually the dentist scent I remember from those terrifying trips as a child, in the top notes? Was it there in the middle where I mainly smelled flowers and an 'old' spicy mixture that made me think of the thick dark bitterness of my mum's Youth Dew? For me it did pick up as it progressed onwards, though I'm not sure I actually liked this. My BF could spot the ginger without any problem, so it must be me. One worth trying a few more times to see if I can get from it whats apparently there - come on 5 o'clock - I love tea and cakes. I want to love you!
    Second attempt 2 weeks later- much better! I still can't spot the ginger, but a much more harmonious whole. Just goes to show you can't go on one impression. I'm warming to this, it makes me think of warm woolly jumpers, wood fires and a cold autumn Sunday afternoon, a time when you can laze snugly and smugly around. Sometimes it's good to have a scent that enfolds like a favourite old quilt, with it's familiar comforting scent, and places no demands upon you.

13 October, 2011 (Last Edited: 24 October, 2011)

pistachio's avatar

For all Serge Luten’s advertising, Five O’clock au Gingembre smells nothing like gingerbread to me, nor does it smell spicy. It’s actually very hard to describe unless you sniff for individual notes. Well, I sniffed…and it smells like…warm citrusy cream and a little…cash? It’s very luxurious and comforting, even a little tantalizing since the warmth and cream soften the spiky citrus to a subtle tartness. Surprisingly, this perfume smells a lot like the last stage of Ralph Lauren’s Notorious (which, although the rest of Notorious is reputedly bad, is actually very beautiful.) I don’t know when a person would wear this perfume though. It’s not romantic, provocative, or intimate, and is way too luxurious to scent an ordinary apartment or house. It’s disappointing but the bottom line is: beautiful but not really wearable.

03 March, 2010

vintage*red's avatar

I love the top note of gingerbread. This is a gingerbread that is strong but not in a bakery sort of way. Unfortunately, the following notes go downhill and the wearer is left with a nondescript, slightly woody perfume.

10th October, 2009

Sugandaraja's avatar

The ginger here reminds of the dried, powdered spice rather than the fresh living root. I have a strong preference for the latter, so something like Five O'Clock wasn't meant for me anyhow, but it's a decent if uninspiring rendition of ginger with a woody-gourmand base. Surprisingly for a gourmand, it's not especially sweet. I don't smell tea in this, but perhaps that's the woodiness I smell here - it does have a rather tannic quality.

28 August, 2009

Pick your spice… make it cinnamon or make it ginger. I agree that Five O’Clock Au Gingembre is similar to Rousse, which has a similar background to the background in Five O’Clock Au Gingembre. I like this one better because the ginger retains its bright and refreshing character without developing that scary schizophrenic second personality as the cinnamon in Rousse does. The ginger is very nicely done – this is as nice as I’ve seen ginger done. The honey is well done, too, and complements the ginger. The patchouli and cocoa confused me at first, but it wasn’t long before I accepted them, and realized that they act as pivotal elements in the fragrance – they form an excellent counterpoint to the ginger and honey, but the fact that I had to reason this out hints at a lack of smoothness in the movement. The drydown is excellent: a bite of bitter chocolate and a patchouli with a smoky aura giving it a deeper, more ethereal personality than patchouli usually presents. The drydown seems lacking in longevity on my dry skin. I like this fragrance, but that’s as far as I can take it: It smells very nice, it performs well on my skin, but it is a bit rough in its assembly, and there’s something missing that would otherwise make it compelling… I can’t find the love.

26 December, 2008

Kaern's avatar

I liked this, but apart from the ginger, it isn't a lot different to many others in the smoky/rich sort of line and is playing rather safe I feel. The sillage is a bit shy, unlike Fumerie Turque and Un Cedre, but the longevity is ok. Overall, a bit disappointed in the lack of imagination involved in the creation, but if you are new to the SL line you will probably love it.

10th September, 2008