Positive Reviews of Five O'Clock Au Gingembre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Find out more about Five O'Clock Au Gingembre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

I like Five O’Clock au Gingembre’s bracing lemon and ginger top notes, and I wish they would persist longer than they do. While the ginger doesn’t disappear entirely, it quickly melts into the background of a more-or-less standard issue Lutens mulled spice blend that’s not too far removed from the one at the heart of Rousse. Five O’Clock au Gingembre is supposed to evoke and afternoon tea, and with its black tea accord attendant spices, the scent actually does a credible job of mimicking a warm cup of chai.

For a Serge Lutens scent, Five O’Clock au Gingembre wears very lightly on me. In fact, after an hour or two it’s so transparent that it actually begins smelling a bit hollow. The signature Lutens dried fruit and syrup appears only late in Five O’Clock au Gingembre’s drydown, and even then it’s relatively subdued. While it's hardly a groundbreaking fragrance, Five O'Clock au Gingembre is an easygoing, affable fragrance by the standards of this house, and I think it might make a nice introduction to the Lutens line for those who normally shy away from rich oriental scents.

14 June, 2014

Jack Hunter's avatar

A very lovely blend of cinnamon, ginger and a refreshing tea note is what I'm picking up off the top. As time passes the blend gets slightly sweeter from the honey and woodier.

I have to say this spicy fragrance is very nice indeed and very well balanced. This would make a great scent for the Fall.

21st May, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

Rich, invigorating, sweet peculiar balsamic/spicy/woody scent. Ambery, round and colourful. May get a bit boring after a while, but still it has a nice personality.

7,5/10

06 March, 2014 (Last Edited: 05 April, 2014)

rogalal's avatar

Interesting - It's got that famous gingerbread cookie topnote, but it's not very sweet or gourmand. Instead, the supporting cast of notes (and, in fact, what it smells like most of the day) are quite dark. There's a puff of Iso E Super smoke (so the whole thing has that weak-on-skin but plenty of sillage bubble effect) and some black pepper, but the real stars of the show are dark, almost astringent herbs mixed with musty unsweet cocoa and burnt woods.

Oddly, while this sounds on paper like something I'd love, I just don't like it that much. The gingerbread surrounded by peppery smoke smells amazing, but barely lasts, leaving me sniffing my wrist for most of the day just smelling ammonia-ish herbs and inedible cocoa. I'll still vote thumbs up because I do really like those topnotes and the base is at least novel and interesting.

03 January, 2014

sjg3839's avatar

Nice choice of spices make this one you may want to have. A reserved Serge Lutens that won't hit you in the face on the initial spray. Reminds me of a nice cup of ginger tea with a touch a honey. I detect cinamon and a touch of pepper also in this elegent fragrance. 8.5/10.

20th November, 2013

RichNTacoma's avatar

Classy ginger and earthy goodness.

This is a terrific fragrance. I find it a bit heavier than some other reviewers. Yes, it easy to wear, but it has an earthy complexity in the dry down. The top notes are ginger and citrus. The ginger continue to something earthy, perhaps patchouli or intense? I am not sure and don't really care. It goes between sweet and dry, back and forth. I really, really like this a lot.

09 October, 2013

sjg3839's avatar

Gingerbread cookie

This Serge Lutens beauty is like a fresh gingerbread cookie or cake. Wore this one a few times,and it has a slight old school vibe (probably because of the ginger and cinnamon), which seems to be formatted for today's taste of fragrances. The longevity on my skin is average (6 hours). IMO, this can be worn year round (just go easy on the trigger in the summer).

Pros: Ginger and cinnamon done right
    Cons: None

19 June, 2013

Card Board's avatar

Germany Germany

Opening suggests dried citrus peel, tea, and spices. A kind of potpourri. It is probably the tamest Lutens opening I've experienced. The bergamot quickly takes a dominant role, but it does not quite add up to a creamy, sweet cup of Earl Grey. Cocoa, patchouli, and a touch of honey soon add a much-needed sweetness, depth, and body. This is a very lovely, well-blended stage, with the bergamot still going strong. With the exception of the opening, I find the spices (cinnamon, ginger, and pepper) to be pleasantly mild background presences. On the whole, I find this difficult to pin down, as elements are constantly, even if slowly, changing. At the core, I experience undulating bergamot and slight spices over a cloud of cocoa (sometimes bittersweet) and a polite, somewhat docile patchouli, the composition being sweet, but not overly so, which is of no small consequence with this house. This operates within the domain of spicy oriental or semi-gourmand, maybe more the latter. It doesn’t really smell like gingerbread at afternoon tea, but works acceptably to impart that vibe. It is generally more reserved in projection and silage than other Lutens I've known. This, together with less controversial notes, makes for a more social bottle than the rest. Maybe not so niche as some would like, but still rather unique.

10th April, 2013

Dellinger_DdC's avatar

Chile Chile

Serge Lutens, if what you are looking for is art inside a bottle, a scent that will take you far away from this reality and transport you into a fantasy, a dream or a cherished memory then look no further than this house.

Like i said art in a bottle, this particular fragrance is so beautifully crafted and peaceful, that i only wear it when i'm feeling down or confused, this takes everything out of my mind, calms me down and it makes me feel that everything will be alright. I applaud you Serge Lutens and of course the best nose for me in this fragrance game, Mister Christopher Sheldrake.

Now to the fragrance itself.
    When you review a fragrance like this, it is not about compliments or longevity and those superficial things, it is all about what makes you feel and where does it take you. Let me put into words what I picture with au Gingembre:
    .Christmas Eve, cold evening, loved ones all together, everybody inside the house warming next to the fireplace just having a good time. Cups of warm tea with honey are served on a wooden table and some ginger cookies just finished baking, they are taken to the table and then sparkled with the most delicious cinnamon powder you can think to add a little spicy touch and just a little bit of cacao powder to compliment the sweetness from the honey and the tea. The night falls and the firewood warms everybody and you just can't help but to smile. The perfect moment that we all cherish. That never-ending dream.

That is what i get from 5 o'clock au gingembre. The name itself is just the beginning of a story and to me this is what true perfumery is about... a journey into what we wish the most, into a moment we'll never let go.

15 February, 2013

odysseusm's avatar

This is a nice scent, and a bit surprising in style coming from Lutens -- it is not heavy, gourmand, or sweet.
    There is a very brief burst of sweetness at the beginning, but this burns off in a couple of seconds. Interesting spices are framed by bergamot, suggesting cookies and Earl Grey tea. There is a satisfyingly dry pepper note, and a very bright and attractive ginger-spice note at work. In the background is bittersweet cocoa, which adds a dusky, almost smoky note. Thhis is a cozy scent, lovely in cool weather.

14 December, 2012

dollars&scents's avatar

Five O'Clock Au Gingembre by Serge Lutens - One in initially treated to a lemony accord. Bergamot, with its bittersweet and peppery facets, commingles with a robust, sweetly floral, Earl Grey tea. This tart and tangy mixture, almost effervescent, is carried on an undercurrent of ginger, which infuses its sweet and lemony facets, to the heart. Here, the warmth and spiciness of cinnamon and a hint of nutmeg shower the lemony opening, lifting a gingerbread accord, reminiscent of speculoos, with their rich sweetness and spiciness. A balsamic and faintly buttery woodiness from cedar carries the seductive accord to the base. Transitioning, the smooth cedar is tempered by a woody and lively pepper flittering about, akin to incense, and honey, which imparts its sweetness with a touch of urine. A resinous amber infuses its vanillic and smoky facets. And, a somewhat dark and slightly musky patchouli diffuses its aromatic earthiness. A dusting of bitter cacao also presents. The interplay of the foregoing leads to a comforting drydown. This unisex fragrance leans to the masculine side, and is light and bright. A festive composition, it has average projection, a 1-foot scent cloud, and average longevity, approximately 8 hours.

31st July, 2012

Marais's avatar

This wonderfully easy-going scent irresistibly brings to mind that famous scene from 'À la Recherche du Temps Perdu', where a sense of calm detachment is induced in the middle-aged protagonist by his mother's tea-time treat, recalling a care-free childhood, dipping madeleines in auntie's lime-tinged tisane. More prosaically it recalls my own childhood predilection for dunking ginger nut biscuits in a steaming mug of Tetley. Oh for those innocent times!
    Tea, ginger, honey, lemon, clove and a boozy amber are the main notes I get; Darvant's insightful description below I cannot improve upon. Excellent longevity; unisex; and unlike several from the Lutens stable, one does not require an artistic temperament to wear it comfortably.

02 July, 2012

Darvant's avatar

Strange fragrance that smells immediately fruity-hesperidic , than spicy-smoky and finally ambery-honeyed with chocolatey undertones. It evolves passing from a cool citrusy and aromatic level in to a luxurious spicy, slightly boozy warm base. I detect some hesperides, gingerbread, dark  tea and cinnamon-lemon-cacao cream. The first stage owns a certain level of cool-aromatic fruitiness (ginger) and a sheer lemony vibe with its vintage bergamot that is intellectual and decadent. In a second stage of the development the smells becomes complex, passing through a spicy-dark tea level and ending in to an honeyed and chocolatey creamy base that in my perception is changeful, exotic, slightly liquorous and voluptuous. The smell conjures the blend of aromas and flavours you can breathe taking the tea inside an intellectual bistro with its liquors, the spicy tea, the cakes, the tobacco and the sweets. A very interesting and intimate fragrance that is not finally too much syrupy as many others from Lutens.

08 March, 2012 (Last Edited: 09 March, 2012)

Leilahdancer's avatar

Wonderful blend of ginger, honey, lemon & spice. Tobacco notes waft through on a regular basis as well.

VERY nice!

03 March, 2012

moseymoose's avatar

I've been waiting to try this for a long time, but I havent found anywhere that sells it. Finally, I found it in Harvey Nichols in Leeds. I sprayed once on the back of my hand, and it is absolutely exquisite fragrance, its beautiful, its masculine enough for a man to wear, yet delicate enough for a woman to wear, its indeed a very smooth, delicious scent, long lasting notes of honey, very warm ginger notes, and cinnamon. I can smell a sweet tabacco, though im not sure if theres a tabacco in this one, but its on there to me.

Its a very well put together perfume, it projects extreemly well even with one spray, without being protentious, and the silliage is good, leaving a warm, sweet, spicy trail.

I reccomend two sprays one on eah wrist with this, its more than enough. It will last you a long time. I've yet to try the loved Chargui, which im sure i'll like as much.

27 January, 2012

ikebana's avatar

Really love this. It's a very warm, comforting and strikingly uplifting scent. Spicy, lemony, with just a hint of smoky muskiness, it evokes for me a bright, clear day in late September, when you're sitting in the warm, in front of an applewood fire, whilst a cake bakes in the oven. The only drawback, to me, is the name, which I think is bizarrely clumsy. The perfume itself, however, is a delight.

25 October, 2011

sfonativeboy's avatar

This is a very nice
    Masculine Fragrance....
    A fine gift idea for that special guy,
    When you want to get him "a special something" for his Birthday or Christmas.
    I like it ... but not enough zing!
    so I thought ... hmmmmmm
    let me re-try the sample I have ...

so last night I wore it to bed ...
    ahhhhhhh! Rich, Molasses,Gingerbread
    and Cloves....
    it was there on my wrists and arms
    when I woke up this morning ...

So ... I rethought it out ...
    I might just buy this for myself .....
    as a comfort fragrance.....

but to receive it as a gift ...
    I'd still say a very content
    ...."Yes, Let's Rendez-vous at 5pm!"

08 October, 2011 (Last Edited: 16 August, 2012)

Notreveh's avatar

Brazil Brazil

A mix of spices with a touch of honey and ginger. Delicious? Yes, but I would not buy it as a first SL fragrance. The house have a lot of fragrances better than this one (no, I'm not saying this one is bad, it isn't just as good as Chergui, for example)... lasts an eternity by the way...

21st August, 2011

Jody's avatar

I absolutely adore this fragrance. I think at first I was just in love with SL because it's a pretty cool line. BUT, I am starting to really appreciate the incredible "nose". 5 o'clock is my very fave at the moment. I am dragging my feet on getting a full bottle because...well, I actually don't know why.

I used up the last of my sample and, because I can not ever pick out notes in a fragrance unless they are uber obvious ( vanilla, frankincense ) I still cannot tell what is in there unless I read the actual description.

My previous favorite was Feminite Du Bois, but after finishing up that sample it really does seem a LOT different from the original version which I gave away like the worlds biggest idiot, about 18 years ago!!!! ( GIANT L on the forehead!!!!)

Does anyone know of any other "natural " niche fragrances that are oddly scented ( no vanilla's and no florals please )...thanks all. 8-)

04 May, 2011

Geldachron's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

I tried layering this with Opium today becouse I thought it would go well together. It does actualy. Although they do not blend in as one single fragrance. They just are separate fergrances that just go well together.

On it's own a nice fragrance aswell.

13 January, 2011

bluelit8's avatar

Perhaps no other fragrance suffers from the baggage of being part of the Lutens line as much as Five O'Clock Au Gingembre. It's often unfavorably compared to Lutens' warmer, louder, (more over-the-top?) scents, like Ambre Sultan or Arabie. On its own merits, though, this is quite a lovely fragrance with an unusual freshness for an oriental.

The top ginger, as others have mentioned, include a pretty, lemony lift, and the scent then fades into a spiced musk. It's a saltier, drier, more transparent and arguably more coherent than Tea For Two, its counterpart in the L'Artisan Pafumeur stable.

While truth be told I prefer Tea For Two with its smokiness, Five O'Clock is a lovely fragrance, meant to be worn when the crisp fall air calls for a richer scent, but not a whole-hog amber dessert.

30th October, 2010

Grand Vizier's avatar

Somewhat of an oddity. Reminds me of christmas time in Asia traveling on the orient express as a young kid. There are a few notes in fragrance which my olfactory craves. Tea, Ginger, Cinnamon, chocolat, honey and amber among several others. Five o'clock ticks those boxes very well without having any of those notes taking pride over any others. Deep down you get the cacao with its creamy haze. Cutting through that the ginger and tea swirl alongside bergamot which has a very medicinal character in this composition. The amber and honey are paired perfectly in the base only showing their true character further down the evaporation curve creating a light vanillic facet to an unusual resin/aromatic base. I absolutely love Christopher Sheldrake's work at Serge Lutens even if it is rather 'samey' from time to time but thats a sign of a great master perfumer in my opinion, being able to mark his signature on each fragrance without the average consumer realising it. More tea anyone?

26 April, 2010

zztopp's avatar

Notes: bergamot, candied ginger, honey, lapsoung tea accord, pepper, dark cocoa, meltingly soft cookie, gingerbread, patchouli, vetiver.

Luten's 5Oclock Au Gingembre is a warm oriental gourmand inspired by the Old World five o'clock tea ritural in Ol' Blighty. Not only does it succeed in presenting an amalgam of notes reminiscent of ingredients used in afternoon tea, its also one of the best balanced Lutens orientals, void of unabashed, loud sickeningly sweet oriental basenotes.

5Oclock opens with a clear bergamot and lemon combo, followed by 'candied' ginger i.e., a spicy ginger note rounded by smooth sweetness. The heart notes bring about one of the most controlled rendering of a lapsong black tea note in perfect harmony with a honey note. At this point its apt to compare it to L'Artisans groundbreaking Tea for Two. T42 is strange in that it features an overly rich and powerful black tea note shrouded by that typical watery L'artisan sea of notes..its one of the few l'artisans which feels rich yet watery at the same times. By comparison, 5Oclock's black tea note is more cohesive, solid and overall just more in tune with its complementary notes. Back to 5Oclock...the familiar Lutens rich oriental smorgasbord of sweet and spicy base makes and appearance in the basenotes, but here its in its most well behaved guise. Restrained by a touch of cocoa and earthy patchouli, this is a Lutens syrup presentation I can enjoy without having my senses shattered ala Arabie or Daim Blond.

5OClock is well balanced, made with good materials, and highlights the black tea note better than most competing niche frags. Tea for Two may have made the most waves as it was the progenitor of the black tea note, and some oriental maniacs may find the Lutens base a bit too restrained, but to me 5Oclock is one of the most wearable and expertly put together Lutens oriental juices in quite a while. Its comforting and rich, and this is an oriental composition I can wear (and it doesn't wear me) at 5 oclock or at midnight in bed.

Rating:8.25/10.0

17 April, 2010

skalolazka's avatar

I'm beginning to think I must have weird body chemistry. Unlike most of the reviewers who've already posted, for me, Five O'Clock au Gingembre has astonishingly good longevity, and the sillage intensifies as I wear it. On me, it intensifies more than any other Lutens I've tried (Fille en Aiguilles, Chergui, Gris Clair, Bois et Fruits, MKK), almost to the point where I've begun to dab on a micro-drop, because I know where things are heading -- and that's in winter. I do agree with Vibert's review in that the lemoniness disappears pretty fast. While the immediate opening reminds me of nothing so much as Lemon Pledge, it quickly (in less than a minute) mellows to a less-sharp lemon that, unfortunately, doesn't last all that much longer.

Overall, for me, this fragrance is warm, warm, warm. It's not my favorite Lutens, but I enjoy wearing it, especially around the winter holidays. I just have to use a very light touch.

07 March, 2010

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Fans of Sheldrake's spices, dried fruits and syrupy concoctions would no doubt feel a little let down by this departure from Lutens' signature style. I too had half-expected to dislike it, having read some negative reviews earlier. But having discarded any preconceived notions about this release, I learn to appreciate just how pleasantly wearable FIVE O'CLOCK AU GINGEMBRE really is, its sparkling yet soothing character never failing to put me at ease. Often the scent takes me away to a cozy little cafe in an old part of town where the owner greets you by name and offers to prepare 'the usual' as I amble over to my usual table. Before long I'm sipping on my favorite cup of tea laced with honey, cinnamon and young ginger, my tired feet resting contentedly on a stool even as I watch the late afternoon sun casts long elegant shadows across the cobblestoned sidewalk.

03 December, 2009

Bruspotter's avatar

Belgium Belgium

I was lucky enough to be given a spray sample of this in an exclusive scent boutique on Avenue Louise in Brussels. It seems more suited to men than to women and indeed is also known as 'The Gentleman'.

My first and lasting impression is that this is similar to Gucci Envy for men, but drier, smoother and without all the sweetness of Envy. I have worn Envy for several years and therefore think that Five o'clock would be a suitable upgrade for someone who enjoys a smooth gingery scent. Decent loglivity on my skin, a good 6-8 hours.

13 May, 2009

jrd4t's avatar

Looks like I'm the first to love this, but I do! It reminds me a bit of Tea for Two, but more like a gray tea with notes of soft ginger, a touch of bitter cocoa, and touches of smoky patchouli in the drydown. I love it!

11th November, 2008

GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR's avatar

Gingerbread cookies, baking and then dried. That would be enough of a review to give you an exact image of what this smells like in it's initial and then final stages, and you can just fill in the gaps of what comes in between.

This has a similar structure and devellopment to Arabie, except instead of an entire soukh, it's just those spices and ingredients needed to make ginger cookies. Like Arabie it starts off honeyed, thick and wet, like baking cookies or cake. And then eventually the moisture dissipates until you're left with dry spices. The aftermath of 5'Oclock is even more dessicated than that of Arabie, which usually makes me want to take a drink of water. The spices here end up feeling like they're *burning*.

This is turning out to be one of my favourites, but really, if you don't want to smell like gingerbread cookies, baking and dry - then you don't need this one! Otherwise, just go for it, you won't be disappointed!

21st October, 2008