Neutral Reviews of Red Aoud by Montale

Find out more about Red Aoud by Montale in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

cheryl's avatar
    cheryl

Folks, it's a Montale. Strong. Thick. Vanilla-Oud. (I like the Montale-style of Oud... Black Aoud, White Aoud...they are great.) This one has a strong saffron component and a minor rose presence. The effect is gourmand radiance. Yes, you smell like some scrumptious concoction to eat. The issue might be..it's hard to want that effect all day. But..done well.

27 January, 2011

Caltha's avatar
    Caltha
    Sweden Sweden

I really enjoy the warm, cosy saffron burst in the opening. Unfortunately, this soon turns sharp and soapy on my skin, the kind of soapiness I can literally taste, not just smell. I could swear there were roses and geranium in this - soapy, potpourri-like roses and unpleasantly sharp and aromatic geranium (I hate geranium!). Maybe it's the aoud at it's most medicinal. I find it not exactly bad smelling but very loud and annoying to wear.

15 December, 2008

jenson's avatar
    jenson
    India India

Red Aoud: the opening 5 minutes is where one feels as if they were smelling chocolate. i think its a mirage created by the combination of Oudh, Iris & saffron...in time this note subsides intoa very warm layer of spices. the oudh by itself is very less pronounced at this stage. we have a very familiar note once we are 15 minutes into this, it's here that it smells quite inspired by Dior Homme(im surpised no one made this comparison . one can clearly view Iris laying down on bed with pepper sprinkled and it being massaged by Saffron...the interplay of notes now take on full swing with the spicy notes interchangin places with Iris. This essentially stays on like Dior homme for the entire progression of mid notes with spicy undertones to keep one busy. this one has a heart of Iris surrounded by spicy notes on a lush base on Aoudh. for ref, this is a spicier/oudh version of Dior homme). not for me, but many out there may like it...

07 October, 2008