Reviews of Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Find out more about Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Unvisible's avatar

Terrible. Walk into any mall and you will smell this whether you want to or not. Absolutely nauseating and boring. Smells like boxed commercialism. Very similar to armani code. I despise them both. Shame on gucci for discontinuing the masterpiece that was Gucci Pour Homme (2003 version with black and white patterned box, and heavy square brown bottle.)

09th April, 2014

Danthedude's avatar

I love the scent, but it doesn't last so not great value for money. :-(

06th April, 2014

NOiDONThaveBO's avatar

I loved this when I first tried it. I was looking for a new signature scent and I did not know anyone who used it. When I first smelled it and wore it for the day I noticed that the scent does not come on very strong, but still stays on you all day. This is impressive. It smells very piney and although I find it pleasing, not everyone does.
    The Good: Subtle, confident, piney, mature.
    The Bad: Piney to the point that it may put some people off. Makes me think of the scene in the movie Tommy Boy where Dan Akroid accuses Chris Farley of wearing "pine tree perfume".
    Overall: A solid choice if a dry, spicy fragrance with a pine front and a musk back is what you are after.

03rd March, 2014

RichNTacoma's avatar

This is a case of, nothing wrong with it, but not sure what is right with it either. Almost reminds me of marshmallows- soft, powdery, easy, lightly sweet. I

10th February, 2014

TimLuk's avatar

When I tried this scent for the first time in the store, I absolutely loved it. Fantastic opening, smelled great the rest of the 30+minutes I was in the store shopping, so I bought a bottle. SOO disappointing now that I've been home and wearing it for a week. The longevity is terrible. I can't smell it anymore after an hour, either on my skin or my clothes. Damn shame because it smells fantastic for the first hour.

28th November, 2013

marsmicro's avatar

My Favourite

I spent ages trying to find a fragrance that was better than what my ex wore, terre d'hermes.

It wasn't easy. I dont know much about fragrances so I relied on this site!

I tried Chanel Bleu. I found it like Polo Sport but less interesting.

I tried Oud Velvet Mood by Maison Francis Kurkdjian. For £200 a bottle it was pretty underwhelming.

I tried Bottega Veneta pour homme. It had no projection or longevity.

I tried Rive Gauche. Terre d'hermes smells modern, Rive Gauche doesn't.

I tried Green Irish Tweed and Aventus. Someone here said GIT is like cool water but less synthetic. True but it still smells like Cool Water.

I tried loads then one day I smelt Gucci by Gucci pour homme and my troubles were over. It lasts well and projects well but it is subtle. It's not spicy or pine or aquatic or floral, but for me it is distinctive, abstract and great smelling. God damn it I dont care what this site says I think its better than terre d'hermes.

I cant recommend it highly enough.

05th October, 2013

Mrpleasent's avatar

Nice but bland

There's nothing to dislike here but it's a bit bland. Longevity is poor, good for work as it will offend no one but its not bottle worthy

16th May, 2013

LeeHouillebecq's avatar

Lovely scent, very attractive and appealing to others. Buy a bottle today and I can guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Lee H.

29th April, 2013

Alexey's avatar

Germany Germany

I was looking for something elegant with my first salary. I went to a shop and started smelling around. I fell in love with it's floral and fresh but dominant note... I instantly bought it. For 3 years now it's been one of my all time favourites and I can only recommend it.

31st March, 2013

drifterocean's avatar

When I bought this I didn't think it was extraordinary or somehow mind blown... but it is quite unexpected unti now...how almost all the people I greeted / hugged when I met them, they complimented that "this is a nice smell ", or would ask me "what is the perfume" ... so I couldn't argue or have negative thoughts on this one.

21st February, 2013

hadrian's avatar

Romania Romania

Sorry to say it: this is one of the most... let's say... modest frag in my collection. Must I add that it is there because I received it as gift, from a friend who don't excell in knowing me?
    Quite unimpressive. A more-than-ordinary male-perfume lover will be disappointed. A I was.
    Overall, a 5,5/10

13th February, 2013

rbaker's avatar

A fresh, initially a touch ozonic and bright note with citrus, violet, some patchouli and a bit of leathery spiciness later on, but overall a linear scent on my skin. The ingredients are not without potential, but on me they are quite bland, and I cannot shake of the impression of a watery blandness. Silage and projection are poor, but the longevity is excellent with over five hours on me. Alas, this does not remedy its overall unexciting character.

05th December, 2012

Possum-Pie's avatar

Generic smelling, but nice. Like a flanker or sports scent, it is crisp, bright out-in-the-sunshine fragrance. I guarantee that if Creed had made this...It wouldn't have all of the thumbs down.

30th October, 2012

cerjr's avatar

Not sure why so many people dislike this one, but it serves a purpose. Weekend wear, spicy, masculine, and perfect after a workout, this is a great scent.

It lasts long, it is distinct, and I love the spiciness of it without having that gourmand tendency that others do.

Perfect weekend cologne for me.

06th October, 2012

Bigtruck260's avatar

Lots of negativity for this one on Basenotes...but I love the stuff. It's versatile, and works well in the office or at a nice dinner.

It's a subltly spicy (kinda fruity) but leathery vibe for the first few hours...then it seems to turn a bit soapier - almost like a vetiver based scent (not sure what the exact notes are here).

I don't wear it for compliments, though it does get them frequently. Sillage is average, projection is modest...but it lasts a full 8-10 hours on my skin and clothes. I once sprayed it on a jacket - and hung it in the closet. It was still there a week later.

Above average, and certainlty something that could be a signature scent for a person confined to a cubicle or an office that needs a daily workhorse scent.

13th September, 2012

L'Homme Blanc Individuel's avatar

I'm torn between a neutral and a thumbs down, but in the end, it's a down. Thumbs up = I'd pay for it. Neutral = I'd wear it if I got it as a gift. Thumbs down = wouldn't buy it and wouldn't wear it even if it was free.

Gucci By Gucci is one big meh.

16th July, 2012

Shifty Bat's avatar

This is literally nothing more than Michael for Men (Michael Kors) at half-strength. That is it. A plummy, semi-spicy, leathery tobacco leaf scent in the vein of Burberry London, with all the lead-ons and poor performance. A very pleasant fragrance, but totally unoriginal and far too understated. The kind of scent that is fetching for modern day people that don't have real olfactory points of reference.

03rd June, 2012

Wee Scottish Scent Lover's avatar

I bought this for my husband and it's my favourite of all his aftershaves. Gucci Pour Homme is a very masculine fragrance. It makes a refreshing change from so many of the men's colognes which have come out over the past few years (that includes you, Bleu de Chanel). Some of them are so metrosexual I'd consider wearing them myself. I like my man to smell like a man, not a teenage girl. This is reminiscent of the proper blokes' smells of the 70s. It doesn't mess about. Fresh, clean, leathery. Love it. Thumbs right up from me.

21st February, 2012

djvix805's avatar

Mexico Mexico

Too generic smelling for its price. I expected a bit better but was kind of dissapointed on this one. I don't think it smells bad but its just a smell that has been done so many times.

15th January, 2012

terry81's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Someone mentioned it smells like Terre d'Hermes? Yes indeed but it has a softer approach.

This is a woody fragrance that has a hint of sweet cocoa to me. The middle and base notes give out a sensual, warm and delicious smell for me. The tabacco note isnt too much to be an old man perfume.

This fragrance stays close to the skin so it aint going strong on people near you.

10th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 02nd August, 2011)

blood-orange's avatar

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme is certainly nice, but a little too safe in my opinion.

A sales assistant described this fragrance as being sweet, however I do not agree. I'm also not very convinced that this is a woody chypre.

I'd say that this fragrance is more of a woody aromatic. The scent is refreshing, masculine, yet bland. A little like Only The Brave by Diesel.

The cypress and bergamot opening, while somewhat unique, needs more strength. I appreciate that Gucci wanted to produce something modern and stylish, however they failed, creating something rather generic.

I agree with a reviewer on Fragrantica, "Acc", that Gucci by Gucci pour Homme "is not meant to be vibrant, virile, sexy, attractive to women, refreshing or fancy." I do understand that. However from a female's perspective, women like their men to wear a fragrance that is memorable, something that they may smell elsewhere yet connect to you with fondness. This fragrance just doesn't seem to have that ability.

The scent dries down to something rather musky and subtle. Unfortunately the unique notes like elemi resin and olibanum aren't standouts here.

The lasting strength is very poor, terrible in fact, which is very disappointing. I do still recommend this fragrance, however not with the upmost enthusiasm.

30th June, 2011

crapshoot's avatar

I actually quite like this scent. It's both citrusy and woodsy and doesn't smell too synthetic. Longevity is an issue, but my biggest gripe is that this smells so similar to Terre d'Hermes. Has anyone noticed that?

15th April, 2011

Ncd22's avatar

I received this cologne as a gift from my fiancée.. She loves it. She loves the deep, musky, woodsy smell of it.. I hate it.
    Here's what I have to say about this frangrance.. First off I get very few notes with this one, right from the beginning I compared it to a pine tree air freshener.. But, I think that's a little harsh.
    This fragrance does have a soothing, relaxed feeling to it. It's never over powering which is nice, and lasts for as long as you decide to wear it..thumbs up. If you need a scent for a movie night or any 1 on 1 date it perfect and probably the only place it will get noticed....
    Just as an added comment.. I wear this the least of all my colognes but let me tell you.. Females for some reason LoVE this scent.. I've gotten more compliments on this then any other colognes I've worn....besides Armani.

09th April, 2011

Fred360's avatar

I am not keeping my sample, even if only for "reference." I didn't find anything particularly interesting about this one. To me, it smelled like a generic cologne. I'm glad I tried it just before I decided to shower. :)

08th April, 2011

Darvant's avatar

An aqueous extremely sharp clean chypre with a moody incensey soul, an hint of forest, a smoky-dusty temperament and a melancholy dominant note of violet. Nothing special in my vocabulary but surely not a bed appointed fragrance. It lacks uniqueness and articulation. It's fresh and masculine because of stressed notes of tobacco and patchouli blended in an aromatic water of aldehydes and citrus with a touch of lavender. Really stiff. The violet feel is prominent and is operating mostly in the top on the side of the woodsy note of cypress. The first blast is indeed moody (violets), traditionally angular/spicy because of citrus, dry spices and woodsy elements. The note of cypress reminds a bit the one of Encre Noir which is a far more likeable concoction in my opinion. The following note of tobacco enhances the bitterness in part tamed by a "sad" jasmine presence. I perceive a note of black pepper as often appens to me with all the violets leaves prominent concoctions. The sweetness is tart and barely sketced because the scent is basically sour and aromatic. Gucci finally slides towards a bed of ambergris and incense with an hint of bold patchouli.  It ends as an incensey, floral and almost smoky scent. Decent sillage and poor longevity.

04th April, 2011 (Last Edited: 29th March, 2014)

Buysblind's avatar

The top-notes of Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme are decent. The combination of violet and cypress, topped off with bergamot creates a lively, fruity accord that, at times, feels fresh and inspiring. However, at other times there is a sour smell lurking in the background that I liken to a wet towel that's been left out on the floor. This quality tends to amplify the closer you put your nose to the skin, but becomes less apparent as you back off. Depending on the persistence and intensity of this odor it can either ruin the opening, or make for an opening that is at least pleasant.

As things transition into the heart, there is a brief moment when the fragrance achieves a somewhat smooth, albeit superficial construction. Here, the jasmine is prevalent and appealing. But this fades quickly.

Soon, the jasmine dissipates into a thin background of stale tobacco. The fragrance has reached a stage that is boring, very synthetic smelling, and somewhat unappealing. It takes on a dull and depressing quality that drags on for about an hour. On rainy days this part is particularly terrible, and despite its two dimensional construction, manages to become heavy as well.

Finally, Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme reaches its unremarkable and generic base of amber and patchouli. Though it doesn't smell bad, I've smelled something just like this a million times before. The base is weak and remains very close to the skin.

Longevity is weak, I've consistently gotten only 3 to 5 hours.

Projection is fair for the first hour, but it quickly dies down thereafter.

Overall, it is not a terrible scent, however it feels superficial and has its fair share of bad moments.

24th March, 2011

tjayuk's avatar

I dont mind the smell its quite nice very soft and sensual. Like one other reviewer said it stays very close to your skin so people might not smell it unless they get very close.

Personally for me the longevity is very poor within an hour I can smell this on myself whilst others still can obviously i buy the fragrance for myself too!

Im glad ive bought it and tried it and for me it will just be an office or day time scent however when this bottle runs out I wont be buying it again

25th February, 2011

odysseusm's avatar

Very loud violet and pepper. Quite synthetic and obnoxious.
    If I was standing next to a guy wearing this in an elevator, I'd pray for the next floor...

10th January, 2011

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

You have no idea what I had to go through to review this fragrance. Grinding my nose on the cheese grater would probably hurt less. Who cares if they have listed violet, pepper, cedar or the secretions of a chimera? GUCCI by GUCCI pour Homme is harshly chemical and as screechy as a monkey in labor. The fragrance equivalent of nails across the chalkboard.

29th December, 2010

QWERTYOP's avatar

England England

In my experience, women LOVE this one. Stays quite close to the skin and is therefore the perfect "snuggling" fragrance. Nobody i've met has a bad word to say about this one. Personally I love the tobacco notes in it. It's only downfall is that it doesn't last all that long projection wise. Maybe a couple of hours. But you'll find that others will still be able to smell it on your skin hours after that and hours after you've stopped noticing it. Hence - the perfect snuggling fragrance!

19th December, 2010