Neutral Reviews of Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren

I love Vintage Polo. I wore it for many years, and I still have a couple of bottles of Vintage Polo, and the newer version, which is a pale shadow of the Vintage. After hearing all of the praise for the Modern Reserve I decided to try a sample. I've now worn it twice, to mixed reviews, not so much from me as from the people around me. When I sprayed it on, I didn't mind the sweeter, thinner smell. I thought it was okay, but I must admit I didn't like it as much as Vintage Polo. My wife however didn't like this one at all. after about four hours, she smelled me and said I smelled like a old lady. Wow...that was unexpected. I don't happen to agree with that assessment, but that was her opinion. I wasn't too worried about it, but then I wore it to work today. I didn't anticipate any such comments, but one of the ladies who works for me also told me that it smelled to her like a scent that an older woman would wear! At that point, I started to wonder about this juice. Honestly, I don't think it smells like an old lady, but I've now had two females tell me that they thought it did. Yeesh...maybe it's the way it reacts to my skin...I don't know. I don't mind the stuff, but I'm going to be very careful with how I wear it. I don't want to feel like I'm in a Snickers commercial, that I'm not quite myself and that I've turned into Betty White.
26th February, 2016
Neutral, leaning like.

There's something in the base that reminds me of two scents I do not like: Terre d'Hermes edt and Bond No. 9 Scent of Peace for Him.

It matches that with some woody sweetness that almost makes up for it.
21st May, 2015
A distinctly dark, masculine, herbaceous scent, whose unbalanced spectrum of wood, floral, green and leather notes never develop into a coherent aroma... making Polo Modern Reserve almost clean, almost classy and almost wearable.
03rd October, 2012

As well as already abundantly underlined  the Modern Reserva is a more contemporary (?) revisited kind of juice which is still green and smoky but is at once sweeter, endowed by a certain dose of soapy smoothness, more fruity and far less complex, aromatic-balsamic, minty, coniferous, sharp, resinous and leathery than the HUGE predecessor. I catch hints of balmy "synthetism" in this modern version, the flowers are less angular and more enveloping, the juice is more radiant, ostensibly light and spacious (airy), more sporty-dymamic and owns like a touch of something boozy, balmy (the myrrh) but also fruity-detergent (deep fruits-vetiver-patchouli) and deeply spicy is in the blend. The first impression is that the juice is less dusty-incensey, aqueous,  sharp and leathery than the original Polo even if as soon as the dry down is cast you notice that the smell is still a Polo kind of smell and is virile, leathery, herbal-rooty (vetiver) and prickly-dusty (but with that spicy-balmy-fruity warm sweetness almost absent in the body of the great original). The main difference between the two versions is to me made by the sweetness of balsams, fruits and spices introduced in the body of the Reserva. Nonetheless this revisited flanker is a good smell of forest for us but is not so transparent, pure, natural, stiff, cool-aromatic and silvan as the bold original.
04th June, 2012
Having worn the original Polo a long time ago I forgot how it smelled. Modern Reserve instantly brought back memories from the first spray. Majorly toned down from the original, but it still has enough in common with it to wear the badge. The only thing that disappointed me was the pine note that was so prominent in the original is barely noticeable. Otherwise it's a nice fragrance for an older gentleman.
17th November, 2011
bokaba Show all reviews
Modern Reserve certainly attempts to maintain the integrity of the already dated and intolerable formula of original Polo. How nice of them! The opening is similar to the original with the same citrus, spices, etc. Then the middle and base of some kind of resinous sweet amber appears and stays strong for at least twelve hours. Polo Modern Reserve is very potent.
21st November, 2009