Neutral Reviews of Stephen Jones by Stephen Jones

I missed all the meteorite/magma hype surrounding this release and was able to approach it with an innocent nose.
A strip lit violet explosion (the flower more in evidence than the leaf), this is a soapy, aldehydic blast, that will bathe you in a cool mauve light. Curious, as the main counterpoint here is clove, a note that typifies warmth, but the experience of this perfume is of being in a chilly temperature-controlled black-lined room with that mauve light playing. At times almost grapey (as in grape flavour soda or sweets), it’s calculatedly dotty. A bit of heliotrope skulking in the corners, adds a trace of knowing mournfulness.
I find such sweet, soapy creations easy to wear, perhaps a little too easy to truly love them. And, indeed, with subsequent wears, as my nose grew familiar with it, the excitement level flatlined.

22nd October, 2014
Genre: Floral

Aldehydes and what smells to me an awful lot like myrrh pop right out when I apply the Comme des Garçons fragrance for Stephen Jones. (Is this myrrh smell-alike the note that they call “meteorite” in the press release? Or perhaps the “magma?”) The combination results in a very dry, astringent accord in something like the style that noses Bertrand Duchaufour and Mark Buxton have brought to this line before.

Stephen Jones remains bone dry as it develops, but its midsection reveals an assortment of spices – most notably clove – alongside the stark woods and incense-like notes. The violet touted in the official descriptions takes its time emerging, but when it does it is a big, big blossom, though thoroughly pressed, dried and ground down to powder. Once the woody violet accord at Stephen Jones’s heart takes shape it plays along in a linear fashion for quite some time. The closest thing to evolution that I perceive here is the violet note growing slowly but steadily louder until the dry (How many times can I use “dry” in one review?) wood and vetiver basenotes take over.

The overall vibe here is extreme austerity, and if you enjoy the stony texture of, say, Dzongkha or Avignon, this new scent will probably appeal. I myself would take either over this, especially at $175 US for 55 ml. Stephen Jones exudes the same attitude as the black-clad twenty-somethings who crowded the underground clubs of SoHo in my youth (yes, waaaaay back, when SoHo actually had underground clubs). It’s an aura of “cool” so intense you might as well just give up trying and admit you are a hapless member of the middlebrow bourgeoisie. I can’t decide whether wearing it makes me feel chic, or like a poseur. You’ll have to decide for yourself.
05th July, 2014
I finally got a chance to sample this one. At first, I was blown away. What immediately came to mind was cold moon rocks. It does have that space fizziness enveloped around what I would perceive as moon rock. Or, I suppose a dry cold stone rock on earth would be the same. I was really digging it until it developed a little further. I started to warm just a little. Then I was reminded of Magma that has been cooled and blackened on the surface but still red and warm underneath. It was just past this point that it started to get cloying and annoying on me. I appreciate this for the imagination that went in to it but, I don't think it is wearable for me. A neutral rating for its spectacular beginning but not a thumbs up for its horrible dry down.
24th July, 2010

The violet leaf + meteorite description is bang on, especially the meteorite part. This smells incredibly metallic and... technological, like a perfume for computers.

It's interesting, but I don't know if I want to personally smell like this, or smell anything else like this, for that matter. But it's definitely worth a try.
25th January, 2009
I suppose this is the Comme des Garcons creation. My notes include "violet leaf" and "meteorite" too.

This is an exceedingly cold and metallic violet fragrance, more like a typical iris/orris fragrance than a typical sweet and powdery violet. It has that damp, dark cold of iris scents but feels "unnatural" as opposed to rooty or earthy - there's a sort of carrot-like accord in it but it's like a very clean and abstract carrot. I might get a hint of the "meteorite" and "magma" beside the metallic note that seems to be inherent in the violet, something a little sour/tangy/mineralic that reminds me slightly of the sickening Cire Trudon candle "Odeur de lune". It's very Comme des Garcons with its cold, synthetic, edgy notes. I just don't happen to appreciate cold, metallic iris and violet scents at all but I can see how this might appeal to someone else.
17th December, 2008