Positive Reviews of Stephen Jones by Stephen Jones

Although my sample is marked CDG as its house, here on Basenotes, Stephen Jones is not only the name of the scent, but that of the house as well.

At first clove (dark), carnation (bright) and rose (warm) leap out at you, all with equal assurance and perfectly balanced. You can detect all three at once. The jasmine and heliotrope bring in a softer middle heart note, but the spiciness of the clove and carnation combo remain nicely center stage.

For once, the Gaiac wood is not poured on in bucketsful, but only pops in from time to time in the dry down to remind you it is there. The cumin, vetiver and amber are another trio beautifully blended and hovering below the spice.

I am rather impressed with this as a spicy carnation scent, great for both men and women, but I think more successful with men, as the base notes would I believe blend better with a male's body oils and chemistry.

I sampled this from a bag of samples passed on by a friend de-cluttering her collection of freebie samples and was prepared to toss it off with a bitingly dismissive epigram, but I am fooled again. There in the vast 50 sample bag was one that was worth its salt.

Unreservedly recommended for those who thought no modern fragrance of quality could ever again be created. Bravo!
10th August, 2017
numcks Show all reviews
Fun and weird, but wearable. Lots of fizzy, zinging aldehydes and a strong violet note. This is combined with an odd (myrrh?), dry, ground stone/mortar accord, a touch of indolic heliotrope/jasmine, and even a bit of a metal-tinged nitrile/iodine blood-bilge note!
05th May, 2016
A HUGE burst of aldehydes quickly dries down to a super-soapy ultra modern violet. No sweet candies here, these violets are punched through with black pepper - as savoury as a violet can likely get. And if by "meteorite" SJ means "stone" then this frag is bang on the money.

The only problem for me is that I really don't get a story - A Unicorn Spell by Les Nez (despite it's twinkly fairytale name) does far more for me in all categories:
Stone Cold? Tick. But where Unicorn actually feels like a cold slate near a stream, SJ leaves the stone randomly floating in a formless void.
Violets? Tick. But where Unicorn buries them deep in wet mossy earth, SJ leaves them hanging in mid-air.
Clean? Tick. But where Unicorn washes you with moonlit spring water, SJ smells like a brand new bar of uber expensive soap.

I totally get all the other notes, the roses, the heliotrope, and they are undoubtedly handled with incredible skill but the sum of it leaves me, however impressed, completely unmoved.

Stephen Jones has an incredibly modern feel, the sillage is moderate and it lasts all day long - the dry down is hugely linear, almost disappointingly so, and after a few hours I almost get a little irritated there isn't more to this clever frag. It's so completely clean - if you are going to claim you fell to earth from outer space then I'd like a little more rock and roll weirdness in the base please.

While looking for my ultimate violet perfume I fell hard for A Unicorn Spell - Stephen Jones feels to me like a very accomplished one trick pony.
08th March, 2015

Stephen Jones opens with a blast of aldehydes, icy violets, and the listed "meteorite" note, which does come across as heavily mineral, like super-dry, heated lava rocks. As the semi-fizzy, soapy aldehydes calm down, a confident carnation/clove note joins the voilets. The heart and drydown also has a far-off dry woodiness.

It's strange that a perfume of such freeze-dried austere overtures would be so comforting and enveloping, but it really is. It's perfect for me for daytime wear. Despite its noticable sillage, it doesn't overpower - instead, I find that it creates a polite future-world-space-floral aura around me. In that regard, I'd liken it to Mugler Cologne, but with MC's signature sweet steam note replaced with a light clove.

Feminine/Masculine? Who cares? Stephen Jones wears well regardless.
12th February, 2013
Stephen Jones by Comme des Garcons - a somewhat cold and metallic scent, which augurs an astringent and detached, futuristic vibe, reminiscent of isolated indifference.
Initially one is treated to an icy verdancy from violet leaf, akin to grass clippings with a nuance of greenness from cucumber. A cool, mineral accord, akin to iron shavings and weathered peebles, swirls about. And, magical aldehydes impart their soapiness and effervescence. Transitioning to the heart, an antiseptic clove infuses the fresh opening with its smoky spiciness and a faint, charred wood nuance. After a bit, a floral melange of sweetly spicy, vanillic carnation, sweet velvety rose, tutti-fruitti jasmine and powdery, cherry-vanilla heliotrope encase the scent, and segues to the awaiting base. Guiacwood, with its honeyed-rose sweetness as well as smoky and rubber nuances, commingles with black cumin with its pungent spiciness and hint of strawberry. An earthy vetiver, with its grassy and clumped dirt vibe, presents. And, a clean aldehyde sweeps in with its freshly-laundered linen aspect. A somewhat enigmatic drydown ensues. This unique and unisex composition has average projection and longevity, 6-7 hours.
20th April, 2012
An intriguing fragrance to say the least. I'm certain that anything with a marketing description of 'violets that have been hit by meteorites' would have anyone rushing out to get themselves a sample.

This fragrance, while strange, is not so futuristic in my opinion. It's more like violets with an attitude, being ever so edgy, dark and violent. I also feel that Stephen Jones falls under a gothic category.

Stephen Jones makes me fall in love with it the same way one would fall in love with Dior's Poison. That potent richness is strangely appealing, like something you'd expect to find, covered in dust, hidden away from the light in Count Dracula's basement.

It has a lot of character, but it's also a dark, Wintery scent, which will appeal to those that like anything ever so slightly depressing during the colder months.

The notes in this composition are not bright nor feminine. There is an obvious dark component added to each accord, with red rose, sharp violets, indolic jasmine, rich cloves and resinous amber keeping this fragrance from becoming a typical, tea party type scent.

The lasting power is exceptionally good, as is the sillage which could possibly knock someone out cold. I've come to the conclusion that I really like this fragrance, however I'm a little afraid to wear it in case someone might mistake me for a vampire.
14th April, 2012
A challenging "clean-perfume"! Sounds impossible? Try and see. This composition made by CDG for Stephen Jones is litterally a BLAST of floral cleanness. Just try to think for a minute about a pushed to the (very) limit version of White Linen on steroids and add a considerable dose of incense, woody notes, violet, cloves. A breathtaking experience and one of the weirdest scents around. Absolutely compelling!

25th June, 2011
Bold violets, soapy aldehydes, and a peculiar bitter note combine to make something magical and greater than its parts. I wish I could write more... but I'm at a loss to truly describe this. It's unique, it's haunting, and I highly recommend it.
03rd August, 2009
Comme des Garcons + Stephen Jones

If one associates certain Houses with class or sophistication the one thing I associate Comme des Carcons with is edginess and risk-taking. Trying a new scent by them is a little like a high-wire act, exhilirating when its great, like Hinoki and a long fall to the safety net when its disappointing, like White.When I heard this co-production with Stephen Jones would be centered around violets I was excited as violets are one of my favorite smells and if anyone was going to do an edgy violet it would be Comme des Garcons. When I heard Antoine Maisondieu who did my beloved Hinoki was the nose my expectations were as sky-high as my metaphorical high-wire. This one starts off chock full of aldehydes shooting off in every direction, once the fizz dies down the violet peeks out but it is a scorched violet returning to life after a fire as there is a little bit of a scorched wood note present. The violet stays front and center as more florals join in but never take over the lead position just add a depth to the astringency of the violet. The base takes a good long while to come through all of this and it is a mix of wood and vetiver which feels just right to bring this trip across the high-wire to a close. This is as out there a scent as it gets and I can see someone just hating all that is going on here but for me this is as good as it gets.
28th February, 2009