Neutral Reviews of Private Collection - L'Ombre Fauve by Parfumerie Generale

Oh,The Horror! I blind bought a bottle of this, as is often my stupid way, from the PG website in 2008. It arrived from France to the freezing Welsh mountains winter, shot through with sparks of ice crystals. Proof, I suppose of the huge amount of natural perfume that made up its parts, still, I didn't hold out much hope for it's recovery. But thawed out, it was instant love. Sweet, sweet, sexy patchouli and the vanillin of the pages of an old book. It was deep and real. I held on to the last few drops for a special time. When that time came,in 2015, by mad chance, I was given a new bottle on the same evening. I smelled my hair, my neck,then I smelled the new bottle. The beautiful real resinousness of proper patchouli and amber has waned, the vanilla is a cheap, chemical copy. Why? Why?! Cost, I'm sure. And perhaps the notion that nobody would notice. But I did. Side by side, there is no comparison to the L'ombre Fauve of just a few years ago. Shadow beast indeed.
04th February, 2016
I was intrigued by the name, it had the effect of a magic spell on me. Until I sniffed it... It's excellent, I have no doubt about this; but for me -on my skin- is like civet sprayed on a layer of MPG Ambre Precieux. And when the civet strong note is gone, there's no difference between this OF and MPG ambre. Same.
28th November, 2011 (last edited: 28th December, 2011)
What strikes me here is an incredibly realistic animal fur note. It is rather striking, but not how I want to smell. Perhaps for someone else.
17th January, 2010